test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The road ahead?

huntajack1334huntajack1334 Posts: 37 Arc User
Sooooo .... dream team comming to CO (if I read it all correctly)

Now I am left wondering what the road ahead is going to look like for CO?
As we all (most) know the reason CO is still running (mind you them hamsters are getting tired) is due to being the only game of its kind on the market. (NO! we don't count DCUO compared to CO it doesnt offer the same potential.(this is all in jest but you probly get my point))

Now with other games comming to compete with CO, what's the plan? How will they try to move ahead?
Speculations, idea's, discussions lets have it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is but one generation, a good name is FOREVER!
Post edited by huntajack1334 on

Comments

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    where did you read that? you need to do some marketing studies and read what's there

we have an announcement on an experienced person being in charge
    Only that some people at Cryptic HQ will be working on the game.

No mention of full time, part time, spare time or how many.

and what other games coming to compete?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • huntajack1334huntajack1334 Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    where did you read that? you need to do some marketing studies and read what's there

we have an announcement on an experienced person being in charge
    Only that some people at Cryptic HQ will be working on the game.

No mention of full time, part time, spare time or how many.

and what other games coming to compete?

This artical http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9131593-champions-online-returning-to-cryptic-studios-in-los-gatos%2C-california Yes one very experienced person will be in charge combined with the and I quote : "returning to its original development studio in Los Gatos, California" so team with a very capable lead.

And you should read my jest between the lines, mostly CO is one of the few high customized hero games on the market at the moment.(And be honest here off the top of your head, how many high customization MMO hero games can you name that are still alive now?)

There was the city of titans project, and valiants online. Granted both are in limbo at the moment, but valiants already has an alpha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is but one generation, a good name is FOREVER!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This artical http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9131593-champions-online-returning-to-cryptic-studios-in-los-gatos%2C-california Yes one very experienced person will be in charge combined with the and I quote : "returning to its original development studio in Los Gatos, California" so team with a very capable lead.

I use to chit chat with Arkayne all the time. I know that he personally has a passion for Champions, and would love to do something with it. But there is one little hang up right there; resources. Champions pulls in enough to keep the lights on and justify new costumes and once a year updates, as we've seen already, but a lot has to be done with Champions to get it up to par, not just simply adding five new missions once a year, before it even starts to make waves. And that kind of investment, if it doesn't pay off, could result in Champions Online closing its doors.

What type of investment would I be talking about? Let's be frank, Champions needs a near ground up over haul of its engines, its mechanics, its graphics and even its ambiance. They need to make a game now, instead of trying to remake WoW with super heroes, and they need to also provide tools for the player base (not necessarily the foundry) to grow the community as a whole. They need to expand and grow what we have, they need to fix and repair they need to provide that group content, rework how group mechanics work as a whole, and make things like being support or tank feel like less of a chore but a fun activity. They need to provide way more group content, and not this lobby style Alerts system that basically ruins the rest of the game but actual, decent team experience.
    And you should read my jest between the lines, mostly CO is one of the few high customized hero games on the market at the moment.(And be honest here off the top of your head, how many high customization MMO hero games can you name that are still alive now?)

While you might jest, DCUO only survives on virtue that the consoles keep it alive. DCUO content is made on the consoles first then ported over to the PC, hence why the PC updates always seem so lackluster. While some may argue that the customization of a character is in their costume, DCUO also provides very little customization in character sliders. However, where DCUO absolutely thrived and CO flopped at, was the fact that character builds feel many times more customizable than they do in Champions. Honestly, I feel the powers system needs a ground up redo, and of course new power sets, mechanics handled differently (such as making healers more AE centered instead of target centered). I like healing but I prefer to be proactive instead of reactive laying down barriers or healing fields or the like, things City of players probably would prefer instead of the current watching health bars mechanics we have now.
    There was the city of titans project, and valiants online. Granted both are in limbo at the moment, but valiants already has an alpha.

While both of these projects are out there, Titans so far has the stink of bait and switch over it, and Valiance, looks less and less like a spiritual successor of CoH and more like an exact rip off of CoH. And what little I have actually played of the alpha of Valiance has done little to impress or remove that feeling that they lifted, whole cloth, all the animation and some art files from CoH. Even their mascot is a veritable clone of Statesman, and it makes me sad.

In closing, I don't feel that we will see entirely big things. We might see more than Cryptic North provided, but as I said, I use to talk with Arkayne a lot back during the games launch, some in beta, and when Vibora Bay was being tested. He has a passion for Champions. But I won't pretend the budget or resources are there for him to use. It would be a big risk, and one this player base would have to come to terms with, if Cryptic takes that risk, the cost of it not panning out could be. So I would have to caution people saying these things need to happen, are you willing to pay that price if it doesn't pan out?
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It would be a big risk, and one this player base would have to come to terms with, if Cryptic takes that risk, the cost of it not panning out could be. So I would have to caution people saying these things need to happen, are you willing to pay that price if it doesn't pan out?
    This is important enough for me to want to repeat it.

CO being moved to the main Cryptic Studios location and people who have previously worked on it does not guarantee anything in the way of resources being spent.

Expect status quo to be maintained. That's the easiest way not to be disappointed when that's all that happens.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Always a possibility.

tumblr_nn0rouo1ps1r8z1loo1_1280.jpg
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Always a possibility.

I was gonna post Thelma and Louise pic but i guess this'll do...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Is this the first time we've agreed on something? :eek:

No, and personally, wish you would stop quoting me one second and then contradicting it later, and instead just ignore my posts like you brag about ignoring me in game. Would be a lot better all around.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2015

yes that article. read it.

where in it does it say how many people are on the team?
    Here's what I've got from the two messages and other bits lately,

1. CN who were working on CO are now working on NW- PC or console.

2. There has been no mention of any people being taken off the other 2 games for CO. Only ditching a few to even up the TWO teams.

3.It doesn't take much effort to keep CO going.(from the messages about people fired from the other two teams)

4. There is no mention of how many people on that article, only that he will head the team. Well a team can be 2 people.

5. There is no mention of whether the 'team' will be working fulltime, parttime or sparetime.

6. If it was more than CN, you can be sure there would be a third article stating the increase but there is none.

AS I said, read what's actually there. A PR /Marketing message about 1 person(with the obligatory advertisement for NW) and that CO is being handled by HQ again.

That is, two messages designed to make it sound good but leaving out details, like the team numbers.

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hunta, a lot of us are gun-shy about this move, because the last time CO was based out of Los Gatos, the few staff members we did have kept getting "borrowed" to work on NW and STO. (In fact, Nick, the environmental artist once known as Tumerboy here, is now Tacofangs at STO.) Some of us are nervous that every time we're about to get something going here, STO's going to need someone to help out with Season 10 (coming later this month), or NW's going to start planning another expansion, and our guys will be dragged off their important superhero work to fix up the other two games.

I'm sincerely hoping that's not going to happen - but I'm not holding my breath.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In closing, I don't feel that we will see entirely big things. We might see more than Cryptic North provided, but as I said, I use to talk with Arkayne a lot back during the games launch, some in beta, and when Vibora Bay was being tested. He has a passion for Champions. But I won't pretend the budget or resources are there for him to use. It would be a big risk, and one this player base would have to come to terms with, if Cryptic takes that risk, the cost of it not panning out could be. So I would have to caution people saying these things need to happen, are you willing to pay that price if it doesn't pan out?

I and many others are more than willing to let Cryptic take that risk. But that is if they really try. Like a "that isn't like Cryptic at all" kind of try. Like a genuine, real attempt to revitalize the game.

Its an all or nothing kind of thing. If they aren't going to go the full distance with a revitalization attempt and just give up part way or mess up in obvious ways that sabotages it, then I rather not see them try at all.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sooooo .... dream team comming to CO (if I read it all correctly)

You did not read it correctly.

This likely doesn't mean as much as people think it does, in either direction.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    someguywhoplaysgames is full of whimsy:

Always a possibility.

I love that your "leap of faith" is heart-powered. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited April 2015
    I love that your "leap of faith" is heart-powered. :tongue:

Can interpret that pic to mean many things. Leap of Faith, End of the Road, a Construction Project that was never finished. Part of me does wish Cryptic would take that leap of faith though and put resources in to Champions to rebuild it and give it a proper MMO imagining. I and many know Cryptic can do a lot more, but they've been very gunshy lately. They've had to do so much with so little before, it's why I am sad with the recent plot line turn outs, even if its the best they could do with so little.

This game should have a lot more to it. It's shocking that 4 live MMOs and all the ones still in production, none of them really get what makes a super heroes, super heroes, and all they've been at best is just bad guy beat em ups, and it's even weirder that Cryptic would neglect the social aspects of this game which is what made CoH so popular.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    I Object to that! I Vehemently contradict this statement! :mad: :rolleyes:

I don't know whether to give that one, 1 point for the joke or 2points for adding the emotes

or
    the large blue thing jumping ship.

the cookie van is under there and he's ambushing it.

he couldn't find the right picture , so he posted that one.

victim of mind control: go jump off the bridge. Yes my love.

tried Rank 4 of superspeed and ran into a problem or more precisely, out of a map

trying for the long distance jump record.

The Vet is after him

The owner of the female blue thing, he's just been... visiting, is after him

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Always a possibility.

I KNEW IT! Brou's secret power is the ability to crap out roads!
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • splosionssplosions Posts: 37 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Well, I'm excited, anyhow.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    splosions wrote: »
    Wow, your first post on these forums since 2012.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Quick, stick him in the bag before he flies away!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Bring all the chains and tape!!! hold him!!! Don't let him go away!!
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2015

*Pulls out net launcher and aims*

*Rolls a 1*
    *Net launcher explodes and sanguine is hopelessly tangled in the net, and on fire.*

Snark never dies.
    edited April 2015
    Wow, your first post on these forums since 2012.

It's good to be back. :)
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Real glad to see you around again!
    biffsig.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2015

*Rolls a 1*
    *Net launcher explodes and sanguine is hopelessly tangled in the net, and on fire.*

Quick, get that ball thingy from The Prisoner.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kemmicals wrote: »
    Quick, get that ball thingy from The Prisoner.

[throws Pok
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sigh,

The Champions PnP game uses 3d6. You cannot roll a single 1, and even if you could you want to roll low. The lower the better.

Now if you had said you rolled an 18....catastrophic.

:biggrin::tongue:

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Sigh,

The Champions PnP game uses 3d6. You cannot roll a single 1, and even if you could you want to roll low. The lower the better.

...I took Stun from that explanation. :biggrin:
    edited April 2015
    sanguineviper needs a Consumer Protection Agency:

*Rolls a 1*

You've GOT to stop buying from Acme. :wink:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Wait a moment.... I KNOW YOU! Your the one that told me to shut up on the forumites channel.

I tell you now. Nepht never forgets. Nepht never forgives. I see you in game I will fish slap you into next year.

Be yea warned!
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited April 2015
    well that wasn't the usual type of splosions we get in these threads.So who are you and do you have backup, if so how many?

* target in sight*
    * aim Foxbat Glue ball gun[Tm]*
    * roll 18*
    * shiiiiiitt.... glue Nepth and Smackwell together*
    * plant the evidence on Jonsills*

edited April 2015
    well that wasn't the usual type of splosions we get in these threads.So who are you and do you have backup, if so how many?

* target in sight*
    * aim Foxbat Glue ball gun[Tm]*
    * roll 18*
    * shiiiiiitt.... glue Nepth and Smackwell together*
    * plant the evidence on Jonsills*
    *roll 6 on Fast-Talk skill*
    *realize that's Toon, not Champions*
    *hope the GM doesn't notice until it's too late*
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    *roll 6 on Fast-Talk skill*
    *realize that's Toon, not Champions*
    *hope the GM doesn't notice until it's too late*

Oh man, I never played Toon, but the idea sounded very cool.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Toon's a great game. Well worth a quick play if you love old Warner Bros. cartoons.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited April 2015
    Our group once wound up in a jungle with no way home. So one of us called a cab, which showed up to get us. Just then, a steamroller came out of the jungle and flattened the cab. I pulled a hand pump out of my Bag of Tricks and reinflated the cab; the cabbie then jumped out and ran away. None of us knew how to drive. So another player Hypnotized the cab into believing it was KITT and could drive itself, and we drove out of that scene.

Toon gets pretty wild sometimes. :smile:

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Sigh,

Some of us Shadowrun vets still have flashbacks to rolling {every 6-sided die in Caesar's Palace}D6 in a turn. At least give us a trigger warning or something! :biggrin:
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited April 2015
    Some of us Shadowrun vets still have flashbacks to rolling {every 6-sided die in Caesar's Palace}D6 in a turn. At least give us a trigger warning or something! :biggrin:
    12d6 Energy Blast. Or, for even more math-flavored fun, 6 1/2d6 Killing Attack, which figures damage differently than the regular attacks, but bypasses STUN and goes directly into BODY damage.

edited April 2015

30d6 athletics with Adept pool.
    any dice roll with variable advantage attached to it.This is one from Felicity in PnP
    nergy blast 10d6, var advantages +1/2(+1),
    +1/4 add: (limted adds) megascale 1"=1km, autofire(2-3) variable special effects(any elemental efect) (1/2 End), no range modifier, increased range (x5)
    +1/2 adv: o end, autofire(4-5), AOE(1 hex) , affects desolidified, penetrating, exlosion, LOS. sticky, var special effects(Page 96), AP.

yes she could a energy blast several miles wides or with megascale flight up to give megascale sight, a ground to orbit strike.

oh, code vs killing strong.

• stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    UwM4k7O.jpg
    edited April 2015

I'm FX artist on Champions. I've been tasked to Neverwinter since the game moved to Cryptic North, (though I did things like Telepathy and Laser Sword thereafter; some of the Auras were also mine), and I'm really excited to have a chance to make some new stuff for this game, because I am an enormous comics nerd. :)
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tell me, where do you find these enormous comics?
    biffsig.jpg
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2015

He just has little hands.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm FX artist on Champions. I've been tasked to Neverwinter since the game moved to Cryptic North, (though I did things like Telepathy and Laser Sword thereafter; some of the Auras were also mine), and I'm really excited to have a chance to make some new stuff for this game, because I am an enormous comics nerd. :)

Welcome back, good luck.

psst...any advances on the water power attempts?
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2015

He means that he reads comics and is nine feet tall. A truly enormous comic nerd.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited April 2015
    He has a Giant-Size Man-Thing!

Edit: And yay! Splosions is home too! Now if we could just beam Tumerboy back from STO...

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    are you also a botany nerd? because i have lifeboated most of my coh characters...but my main villain was a plants dom, and we have a distressing lack of a plants power. :biggrin:
    edited April 2015
    Just what is ealford1985 suggesting?:

He just has little hands.

What, like carnies? Circus folk? Smell like cabbage, small hands? :eek:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • doktormarengodoktormarengo Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I'm cautiously optimistic!!!

One it's so exciting to hear from you Splosions! Like really exciting.... :biggrin:

On the other hand I want to temper my expectations - so that they are realistic.

I think a lot of us just want some sort of realistic and grounded official response from PWE/Cryptic about the state of the game.. and what the basic plans are.

Maybe there aren't any or things are still up in the air. But even knowing that would make a lot of players feel better. At least I think it would.. hard to tell with this cantankerous bunch!!!
    This is RiverOcean's 2nd Account. Can't combine my STO and CO accounts for some weird reason.
    edited April 2015

Ebay,
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html/_W0QQ_sopZ12?_nkw=giant%20comic%20books&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270.l1313

also actually being told we have a team, as opposed to the one person advertised or is he the designated target for any attacks?