test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crowd Control stuck on my mind...

ilztasilztas Posts: 95 Arc User
Last night, I spent several hours in the PTS powerhouse, trying to think up something alternative to do instead of my usual control build, but I just couldn't come up with anything I enjoyed nearly as much as that (even if targets tend to die before we finish charging or maintaining for 2 seconds), and it kept eating at my mind 'til I went to bed. I couldn't sleep though, and... well...

Does anyone else miss the way crowd control originally worked? The way things like Binding of Aratron worked immediately, starting off weak but increasing in strength as you continued to maintain it? And more importantly, it was a real crowd control power, not a damage power with a crowd control secondary effect. I like picking control powers specifically for the control aspect... and I might be a bit of a black sheep here, but I oddly like not damaging targets with it for some reason, particularly when I'm helping a random person out in the streets or wilderness. People don't usually like it when you attack their stuff anyway.

It seems like the reason it was adjusted was because the fact that it worked immediately, even if it was weak at the start, was deemed too annoying and powerful when used against other players. I can't imagine maintained paralyzes having been a PvE problem, except maybe against Cairngorm Stoneblood, the only one I can think of offhand who actually used one, though there IS crowd control resistance gear for that, not to mention the natural benefit of a good amount of Ego.

Also starting to wonder how many PvPers bothered to protect themselves with said control resistance-boosting equipment rather than general defense bonuses, and how effective that resistance really is.

...

I wish crowd control could get a do-over.




EDIT: From the looks of old posts, control resistance bonuses had a very negligible effect. Perhaps a miscalculated formula?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ilztas wrote: »
    Last night, I spent several hours in the PTS powerhouse, trying to think up something alternative to do instead of my usual control build, but I just couldn't come up with anything I enjoyed nearly as much as that (even if targets tend to die before we finish charging or maintaining for 2 seconds), and it kept eating at my mind 'til I went to bed. I couldn't sleep though, and... well...

    Does anyone else miss the way crowd control originally worked? The way things like Binding of Aratron worked immediately, starting off weak but increasing in strength as you continued to maintain it? And more importantly, it was a real crowd control power, not a damage power with a crowd control secondary effect. I like picking control powers specifically for the control aspect... and I might be a bit of a black sheep here, but I oddly like not damaging targets with it for some reason, particularly when I'm helping a random person out in the streets or wilderness. People don't usually like it when you attack their stuff anyway.

    It seems like the reason it was adjusted was because the fact that it worked immediately, even if it was weak at the start, was deemed too annoying and powerful when used against other players. I can't imagine maintained paralyzes having been a PvE problem, except maybe against Cairngorm Stoneblood, the only one I can think of offhand who actually used one, though there IS crowd control resistance gear for that, not to mention the natural benefit of a good amount of Ego.

    Also starting to wonder how many PvPers bothered to protect themselves with said control resistance-boosting equipment rather than general defense bonuses, and how effective that resistance really is.

    ...

    I wish crowd control could get a do-over.




    EDIT: From the looks of old posts, control resistance bonuses had a very negligible effect. Perhaps a miscalculated formula?
    generally it seems to be the case. Now i am not a min maxer so im sure some people have made crowd control work(plus pve difficulty here can be low) but it feels like in this game cc is far less useful than just getting an aoe and going to town, a more robust corwd controls system would feel a lot more superheroic and would also make play a lot more varied. it woudl be nice if someone made cc a lot deeper.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Control resistance equipment didn't do anything useful, and the old way holds worked allowed you to chain-hold people forever (and no, that's not an exaggeration; there were BoA setups that were literally impossible to break out of).

    What Cryptic should have done is make it so crowd control works differently on different types of adversaries, so lesser adversaries (at a minimum, henchmen and villains) would be easier to hold than players.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Lower enemies already are easier to hold than players.
    Not in any way that's relevant. What kills paralyze-type holds in PvE is the requirement of a full charge before they actually do anything, not breakout time.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    All I see here is another person crying that holds are OP in pvp even now, and stuns aside, they're 100% not.
    Huh? No, I'm saying holds are crap in PvE and should work better than they currently do on henchman and villain class foes.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    well mentioning player holds in the context you did was kinda confusing your point.
    I was mentioning player holds in the context of (a) why some things got reduced, and (b) because holds don't need to work better on players.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Well how they work now on players is good enough.
    Yes, that was sort of my point.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've been listening to ilztas talk about his character for like two years now... will he ever have that wizard build he wants? :O
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    beavis550.jpg

    "Heh heh. Heh heh. KICK HIM IN THE NADS! Heh."
    'Dec out

    QDSxNpT.png
Sign In or Register to comment.