test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is CO worth coming back to 24 months later?

silveragefogeysilveragefogey Posts: 39 Arc User
My last post of August 2013 seemed to indicate that not very much had changed in CO, so I didn't come back to it.

I'm ready to try again, F2P instead of subscribed, to see what's up. If I ever get the patch complete*, I'll see what it's like.

But if any of my old buddies are still around, and can let me know their opinions, why that would be awesome. For instance, I see that I MUST have this Arc installed to run CO. Any other comments? Observations? New "you gotta try THIS" features? Thanks; I appreciate it.

*My launcher seems stuck on "Patching" and doesn't seem to actually be downloading or patching, even after I restarted it a couple of times. Anybody got any ideas on that? Or is it CO's way of telling me to buzz off? :)

I remain,
Sincerely,
Eric L. Sofer
The Silver Age Fogey
x<]:o){

Grind. Grind never changes.
If you're playing CO and reporting any bugs, you're STILL an unpaid QA technician.
"Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied" - message from PW customer service.
Post edited by silveragefogey on

Comments

• draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The only one who can honestly answer that question is you, give it a try as silver player for a little bit and see if there is anything you like, if you find yourself playing a lot give a subscription a go.

If you need to have freeform characters there is a sale on the subscription currently. If after a month or two you aren't satisfied with the game, then cancel/quit knowing that you gave it a shot with out relying on the biased opinions of forum goers.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    draogn wrote: »
    The only one who can honestly answer that question is you, give it a try as silver player for a little bit and see if there is anything you like, if you find yourself playing a lot give a subscription a go.

If you need to have freeform characters there is a sale on the subscription currently. If after a month or two you aren't satisfied with the game, then cancel/quit knowing that you gave it a shot with out relying on the biased opinions of forum goers.

Pretty much this. Most will say yes and some will say no.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You don't need Arc. Steam works fine - I use it myself.

No idea if the standalone launcher still works, as the only computer I have that installed on is on its last legs, and serves us currently as a Web access point for the kids.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since you left we've had two modest content additions to the game (Fatal Error and Steel Crusade), a new event (Foxbatcon, currently running), a new AT with a few new powers, rampage alerts have been reorganized and Fire and Ice has been added as a new ten-person alert, we've had auras and a lot of new costumes (to be purchased at a higher price than before, for the most part) and a few minor QoL additions. And truckloads of new whale-bait, I mean vehicles.

Server pop has dropped substantially, to the point where alerts often will not pop at non-peak hours.

It's largely the same game, with most of the same warts, and all of the same virtues as when you left. We have no information on whether anything substantial is in currently in the works, as CN always keeps their cards close to their vest. The pessimist in me fears that the relative failure of Steel Crusade to arrest the declining server pop may have been our last shot at new content, but I would be happy to be wrong.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    No idea if the standalone launcher still works

Thankfully it does. Many of us still use this.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    IMO not really, the only reason im back are the new techy costumes in the current and upcoming lockbox, but its not really worth it when the good outfits are put in lockboxes and cost 1000+ in g
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thankfully it does. Many of us still use this.

Yep. I have no need for arc or steam
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't recall if there's an easy way to download the game without Arc or Steam, but yeah, once it's there you can use the old launcher.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not Really, Motivation is waned for me lately.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In a word, yes. CO is still a fun game that is fun to play. Stuff has been added in the last 2 years that you might like. I like them, and my opinion is solid gold.

If you're feeling shy, just come back as a silver account and check out the things. What's the worst that could happen... a half-naked old man dinosaur with robot hands does an awkward hand waving dance in front of you?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yep.

Why not?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    No.
    Maybe.
    Yes.
    No.
    Possibly.
    Ofcourse.
    DCUO is better.
    Marvel Heroes Is far superior.
    Yes.
    No.
    CoT.
    No.
    Yes.
    Pie.
    Cake.
    Yes.
    No.
    Was there cake here?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No idea, I'm still playing since 2011 and haven't stopped. All depends on your interests.

as for ARC.

yes you have to install it to download the game unless you use Steam and to purchase zen.

OR
    if you didn't uninstall the game before, the old launcher will still wokr. The only reason I have ARC, is new computer and had to reinstall.

When you go to run it, just use the exe file. works fine.
    or the old launcher if you nver uninstalled
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nothing significant has been added for a long time, but if your itch is customization, co is the only game in town. do you have some new character ideas? come on back. but very little has been added, you can go through all the new content since reloaded in less than a day.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you have a solid build you are familiar with you got about a few hours of content to play without grinding.

Socrates has the Fatal Error mission chain. Defender will also start you on the Steel Crusade mission chain. Though both endings are either on a rotation with the weekly Custom Alert or a yearly open mission event tied to Dr. Destroyer's invasion. So there's that for what its worth. (There are endless rants about why both failed because of how they were implemented as a whole.)

Also there's Foxbat Con to get farming for credits. The invisible weapon unlocks will be available there this week so get them if you are interested in using them if you plan on logging on every few months.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rianfrost wrote: »
    nothing significant has been added for a long time, but if your itch is customization, co is the only game in town. do you have some new character ideas? come on back. but very little has been added, you can go through all the new content since reloaded in less than a day.

You can complete the missions but you can't get everything these missions offer in a day.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They're also all daily missions that award questionite if you're into that sort of thing. (Fatal Err0r and Steel Crusade that is.)

I did all six missions back to back yesterday while out hunting for foxbatcon swag bags, I found it more fun than just grinding away at enemies...and I got 10 swag bags while doing it!
  • silveragefogeysilveragefogey Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »

My name's not Danny, Grandpa... :)

Thanks for your opinions. I guess I will come back and give it a shot for a month or so. Maybe even restart the ol' subscription for ten bucks for a month.

Thanks, everybody!

Grind. Grind never changes.
    If you're playing CO and reporting any bugs, you're STILL an unpaid QA technician.
    "Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied" - message from PW customer service.
    edited March 2015
    mm5ti1.jpg

Have fun!
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As long as it's on a silver account, save your money for the better options that will be around starting next year.
  • gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No new playable content since some years. Only new costumes or 5 mns alerts to farm to grind questionite.
    Nothing about the until field report was integrated in game.
    If you want to play in the same content than you used to some years ago, come back. If not...
    edited April 2015
    gaelyn1 wrote: »
    No new playable content since some years. Only new costumes or 5 mns alerts to farm to grind questionite.
    That's not quite accurate, as pointed out above. Steel Crusade ring a bell? Fatal Err0r? Neither one is exactly a "five-minute alert"...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actual some of the Until Field report did eventually get into the game. Like the easy stuff and some of the bigger things that were never fully realized and half finished. Lemurian Invasion for example. Something new to look at but boy a TON got cut out.
    edited April 2015
    "content" for some it means one thing...and for others it obviously means something else...

I personally think anything added to the game equals more content...but others, they seem to think something else... not sure what that is, but it is obviously not what I consider to be new content.
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, absolutely. Champions Online is the best thing since sliced bread and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Rumor has it El Dorado is hidden somewhere in this game. Also spend money and tell all your friends.
    edited April 2015
    foxyperson wrote: »
    As long as it's on a silver account, save your money for the better options that will be around starting next year.

Like what??
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    City of Titans is released on Early Beta?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to be blunt

Stop spamming for pipe-dreams that will very very very likely never amount to anything equaling CO, much less surpassing it.

I'm all about crowd-funding and power to the people, and it's brought some miraculous revivals of franchises long thought lost into existence.

But an MMO? Even one as"sparse"and "abandoned" as CO is, according to you?

Time for a reality check. How many MMOs - especially ones in niche markets -take off and thrive in the modern era? If it ever seriously launches, how long until server maintenance costs and expectations outstrip financial means to support it? How long until constant content demands become impossible to meet and the exact same grousing we get here takes over?

Like it or not, CO is here, up and running, and seemingly low-maintenance enough that it survived a "slaughter" of layoffs untouched.

Quit trying to drive people away from it in favor of vaporware that is almost certainly destined for failure if it even manages to materialize in the first place.

I get pain and nostalgia; I've hoped for a Firefly revival for a decade and a Gargoyles revival for almost twice that.But I don't try to crap all over other things for not being Firefly or Gargoyles, nor dismiss them in favor of theorized hopeful remakes/spinoffs/spiritual successors.

If you hate CO that much, there's the door. Go haunt the forums of your great hyped hope.

Amen.

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited April 2015
    That's not quite accurate, as pointed out above. Steel Crusade ring a bell? Fatal Err0r? Neither one is exactly a "five-minute alert"...

D
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to be blunt

Stop spamming for pipe-dreams that will very very very likely never amount to anything equaling CO, much less surpassing it.

I'm all about crowd-funding and power to the people, and it's brought some miraculous revivals of franchises long thought lost into existence.

But an MMO? Even one as"sparse"and "abandoned" as CO is, according to you?

Time for a reality check. How many MMOs - especially ones in niche markets -take off and thrive in the modern era? If it ever seriously launches, how long until server maintenance costs and expectations outstrip financial means to support it? How long until constant content demands become impossible to meet and the exact same grousing we get here takes over?

Like it or not, CO is here, up and running, and seemingly low-maintenance enough that it survived a "slaughter" of layoffs untouched.

Quit trying to drive people away from it in favor of vaporware that is almost certainly destined for failure if it even manages to materialize in the first place.

I get pain and nostalgia; I've hoped for a Firefly revival for a decade and a Gargoyles revival for almost twice that.But I don't try to crap all over other things for not being Firefly or Gargoyles, nor dismiss them in favor of theorized hopeful remakes/spinoffs/spiritual successors.

If you hate CO that much, there's the door. Go haunt the forums of your great hyped hope.

A lot of hyperboles in this text :)

We can take some enjoyment with this game, but you can deny the facts.
    - CO is almost in maintenance mode with no new big content since a lot of years. On alert was the last and it's very old. More than 2 years, perhaps 3 ?
    - Most of Co's devs are on the other Cryptic games (Someone have some news of tumerboy?) or, hum, have quit to mountaineering.
    - There is only some devs to do costumes and fluff. And one new alert every how many months?
    - The population, the number of players is really low. I knew millenium city with more than 40+ phases (#) and more than 10 for each other zones (desert, canada) or 3-5 (MI, vibora, lemuria). How many phases now ? 2 to 5 MC max ? 1 of every other zone and mostly less than 70 players ? A living PVP which is dead now. Etc...

Yeah, the game isn't shutdown of course.
    Cryptic owns the Champions's licence. They don't have to pay a dime anymore, unlike a lot of others licenced mmos.
    Their servers are in some way the same as the others Cryptic games which are profitable (In game tchat, hi neverwinter and sto players).
    And they don't have a lot of devs to pay because the stuff they give us is really low and show they are very few. But very very few.

We can like Co and open our eyes and don't act as a fanboy as the same time, you know ? Nobody stop you to play everyday if you want and thinking Co is the best game of the world, no need to be rude. (If not, you can play at the game, here is the door, instead of spending your time in the forum). But hey, everyone have 2 eyes to see where the game is now. Some are constantly dreaming, others don't.
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quote-Mark-Twain-denial-aint-just-a-river-in-egypt-100607_1.png
    edited April 2015
    Lincoln-Net_zpsvltjem5r.jpg

• crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    1. Bluegrass' last post. +10
    2. I wanna play the pictures game too so I present to you...

1076002_158459577688225_1367996581_n.jpg

The ONLY "Spiritual Successor" of 2015 worth mentioning. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to be blunt

If the Kagami brand name had been attached to this post, you'd be at the warm end of one great big dog pile right about now :)
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    so the start was going to be early 2015 and is now 2016.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• jarfarujarfaru Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For me its worth it. And now i can just pay 10 bucks a month to have the full game. And many people say the game is ignored by PWE/Cryptic. I say that's a good thing. Have you seen what they are doing to STO and Neverwinter. So many bad dev choices being made by them in those games. I would rather them ignore CO and just let us enjoy it. So many complaints on those boards and the so called mod 6 in Neverwinter is causing zones to be just empty now. I think CO is worth if they leave it alone. Just my feelings on it.
  • novarockznovarockz Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jarfaru wrote: »
    For me its worth it. And now i can just pay 10 bucks a month to have the full game. And many people say the game is ignored by PWE/Cryptic. I say that's a good thing. Have you seen what they are doing to STO and Neverwinter. So many bad dev choices being made by them in those games. I would rather them ignore CO and just let us enjoy it. So many complaints on those boards and the so called mod 6 in Neverwinter is causing zones to be just empty now. I think CO is worth if they leave it alone. Just my feelings on it.

I agree with you man. I also agree with gradii,but I heard they are going pay to play so I dunno. CO is great, I mean the loving community(can be jerks sometimes) and creative minds in the game are amazing. You can make good use out of it too. The system doesn't allow a lot of things but the graphics, at(except automaton), and free form are all great. I'd give the game 8/10 for the lack of new content tho, but I'll always stay with CO.
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You don't need Arc. Steam works fine - I use it myself.

No idea if the standalone launcher still works, as the only computer I have that installed on is on its last legs, and serves us currently as a Web access point for the kids.

No ARC and no Steam for me, and it still works fine.

Is it worth it? eeh... I can't speak for others, I'll just say that.
    edited April 2015
    novarockz wrote: »
    at(except automaton)

You forgot all the other archetypes that suck(all of them).
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All this NO U is dumb. If you like MMO's and like comics then CO is worth playing.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • ravancheravanche Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    - Most of Co's devs are on the other Cryptic games (Someone have some news of tumerboy?) or, hum, have quit to mountaineering.
    - There is only some devs to do costumes and fluff. And one new alert every how many months?
    Outdated. We now have a separate team,Cryptic North. We've seen numerous quality-of-life improvements, some of which have been asked for for a very long time..

Outdated. We have lost CrpytNorth to poaching, exactly the opposite of what they promised wouldn't happen.

Here's the thread with the announcement, hyping this is as amazing news.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=307061

So welcome back to the next few years of maintenance mode and no changes of content past the latest money-milk lockbox.
    edited April 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Automaton is the only bad AT, if that.

I've leveled many types of ATs so far, and what I haven't yet, Eviltaco has. Between us I think we've proved that ATs rock when you know what you're doing.

I've leveled all of them. They're all just as bad as the Automaton. It's just hip to pretend the Automaton is somehow worse right now.
    nepht wrote: »
    All this NO U is dumb. If you like MMO's and like comics then CO is worth playing.

UR FACE is worth playing u3u