test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lore Test

warblade87warblade87 Posts: 78 Arc User
I have bought the Champions books recently and have been enjoying them quite a lot, but I had a few questions. I have been around the world to different nations while in the military and for each country as I experience these unique and amazing cultures it had me wondering..."Are there any Superheroes or Villain from these nations or neighboring nations?"

Honduras
Republic of Korea (South Korea)
Israel
Germany
Ireland
Poland
Denmark
Iceland
Greenland
Iraq
Afghanistan
Jordan
El Salvador
Panama
New Zealand
Philippines
Austria
Australia
Tasmania
Guatemala

Those are just a few that I can think of that I am curious if ANYONE in Champions lore comes from those nations. I know we have the "Big 5" United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Russia, Japan that are the most common places for heroes or villains to be from.

Anyways, just wanted to test your Lore Knowledge everyone :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The source book called Champions Universe includes a survey of superhuman activity around the world, and names quite a few heroes and/or villains from many countries. Another book, Champions Worldwide, goes into even more detail about superhumans from various regions of the globe, even writing up a sampling from each region in the standard Champions format. It's worth noting that these are just supers who are named in the source books. Superhuman power manifestations can occur anywhere on Earth, although supers are more concentrated in the United States than anywhere else.

Just from the list you presented, countries which have at least one official named native superhero or supervillain (often more) include:

South Korea (and North Korea)
    Israel (including Palestinian territories)
    Germany
    Ireland
    Poland
    Denmark
    Iraq
    Phillippines
    Australia

There definitely are numerous superhumans in the lore from the "Big 5" countries you mention. But others come from:
    Mexico
    Barbados
    Brazil
    Peru
    Argentina
    France
    Hungary
    Spain
    Portugal
    Italy
    Romania
    Finland
    Egypt
    Turkey
    Saudi Arabia
    Iran
    Kenya
    South Africa
    Nigeria
    Uganda
    India
    China (with the largest state superhero team in the world)
    Singapore

There are fictional Champions Earth countries -- Costa Azul, Guamanga, Chiquador, Larisagrad, Lugendu, Lurranga, Awad, and Taqiristan -- a few of whom have their own superhuman residents. There are also various "hidden lands" that are, or were until recently, unknown to the outside world, whose inhabitants may be or include superhumans: Lemuria, Atlantis, Arcadia, Shamballah, Agharti, Thaar, Javangari, Beast Mountain, the Kingdom of the Apes, and the Valley of Night.
    edited March 2015
    I know canonically Saddam had a nasty piece of work meta bodyguard (tho his name eludes me now), and Iran had a super villain known as"The Ifrit" who believed himself his namesake.

I know Russia pretty decently due to researching, as Mother Winter's back story was tied immensely in the setting's lore (which I feel gets vastly underutilized...),her origins tie directly into WW2 and she was a member of the People's Legion until she grew sick of the Motherland's imperialism and defected to the service of UNTIL.

Saddam's sadistic superstrong bodyguard was code-named Turs Al-Sh'ab ("the Shield of the People"). He escaped the coalition invasion of Iraq and has since been working as a mercenary supervillain.

Ifrit is actually from Saudi Arabia. The last mention of him, from 2005, had him captured and in UNTIL's super-prison, the Guardhouse.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The biggest one is Dr. Destroyer, from Germany.

Gravitar is French.

Rakshasa is Indian

Bronze Brigand is Lebanese

Escollera is Mexican

Thoughtcrime is Argentine

Fiacho is Italian iirc

Mentalla (twin sister of Menton) is Spanish

Der Westgote is German

Silver Tiger is Indonesian

There's many, many more.
    edited March 2015
    Fiacho is Italian iirc

Silver Tiger is Indonesian

Fiacho is actually Danar Nicole, a Dane. His code-name means "very bad" in Esperanto.

Where is Silver Tiger mentioned?

And yes, there are scores of named superheroes and villains from outside the United States and Canada. As I mentioned above, Champions Universe and Champions Worldwide are the most concentrated sources of info about the global superhuman scene, for anyone looking to make a non-American character.

One of the things I appreciate about the Champions Universe is that it's much more international in its coverage than the mainstream comics publishers, who tend to be Americentric. Understandable, since the US has the majority of English-speaking comics readers. And creators, for that matter. But those of us living on those "other" parts of the planet want a little love spread our way, too. :wink:
    edited March 2015
    Silver Tiger is mentioned in the Book of Destroyer, when Destroyer attacked the island of Java.

And now I learn something new about Eurostar's leader.
    edited March 2015
    Huh. If you mean the incident described on pp. 27-28 of BOTD, I can't find Silver Tiger mentioned. Only superhero named in connection with the Java attack is a Malaysian, Biru Bintang ("Blue Star").

Note that in the post-Cryptic continuity, that attack is now attributed to Shadow Destroyer masquerading as Dr. D.

Eurostar is a pretty diverse collection of European supervillains itself. In addition to Fiacho, current members are Durak (Russian), Mentalla (Spanish), Ultrasonique (French), Scorpia (Irish), Feurmacher (German), Pantera (Italian), and Der Westgote (another German).
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If they ever added Eurostar to the game I would be soooo happy! Fiacho is awesome. :D

edited March 2015
    Check at the very bottom of Page 116 of The Book of Destroyer.

Ctrl + F doesn't check the words inside of the "Blurbs of Destroyer"
    edited March 2015
    Got it. And bravo to you for remembering that reference. :cool:

Mind you, Destroyer's words were probably the last thing Silver Tiger heard before Destroyer blew him away. :tongue:
    edited March 2015
    There are others. All the Crowns of Krim haven't been assembled, nor the roster of PSI. The full resources of the Warlord and Takofanes haven't been brought to bear, and nowhere close to what Istvatha V'han is capable of. No appearance at all yet by Holocaust, Sunburst and his followers, the Devil's Advocates, Skarn or Tyrannon, Eclipsar, Geothermal, the Tiger Squad, Dr. Yin Wu, Kinematik and his allies, the Shadow Queen, Taipan, the Silvestri clan, Tezcatlipoca, Li Chun the Destroyer, Valak the World-Ravager, let alone Xarriel or the Galaxars. King Cobra hasn't even been created yet in CO, although he's been a fixture in the PnP world for years, and his alter-ego has already appeared in the MMO. And I'm not even counting more subtle background threats, like Franklin Stone or the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Nor the long-planned Hzeel invasion of Earth.

Nope, plenty of big names to draw on still. More than I listed here, in fact.
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well in a way we do have some of those bads mentioned, a lot of the old crafting mats refrenced them, and quite a few of the pre-alert items. [Not that our newer players would remember those, but the item descriptions were amusing :)] They might not have been added tot he game, but their presence is there, at least a little.

Scarn has a magic power named for him, Tyrannon had the grimoire crafting mats, Tiger squad is listed in one of the random loading screen tips as China's superteam, The Sylvestris also were in the crafting mats, Franklin stone has that awesome penthouse that broke the game when it was introduced, Circle of the scarlet moon is mentioned a lot in Burnside, and I think in some of the lore scattered around in play.

They're there, they just aren't *There* there- if that makes sense? :)

edited March 2015
    Sure, that makes sense. It's an acknowledgement of the shared-world background that characters like that are referenced.

Eurostar are among the oldest and nastiest villains in the IP, though. Among Champions villain groups Eurostar has long had the reputation as the toughest and most dangerous foes to face. As terrorists their plans are often spectacular and usually lethal.