test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Same Bat Channel, Same Bat Stupid U_U

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lestylo wrote: »
    2. "I think people finding the costume practical is funny" hence the laughing gif. People tend to laugh when they find things funny.

"I wasn't insulting you, I was just finding it funny how dumb you are" :rolleyes:
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    "I wasn't insulting you, I was just finding it funny how dumb you are" :rolleyes:

I never called those people dumb. There is a difference between refuting someone's view of something and calling them stupid. But you will see what you want to see to justify this sudden fit of "righteousness". :rolleyes:
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    There's a reason why those boots fell out of fashion. And even then, they were used mostly by horseback infantrymen. Beyond that, they were used for other things since they provides little comfort unless it was the type that was actually knee-high in height and had the top extend above the knees.

They went out of fashion because they were expensive to produce and worn only by top tiers.

Point is, they aren't any more uncomfortable than any other kind of high boots. You are exaggertaing and you know this.

WW original costume is much more uncomfortable, starting with corset and bra that would struggle to keep her breasts inside with every movement, and ending at her panties giving her oh-so-comfortable feel also during exercises.

It's about time she lost her ridiculous old costume. It was dated, kept only because of badly understood "tradition" and did not fit at all with modern world and audience.

Now, someone should finally fix Power Girl outfit. This time for good.
    edited March 2015
    They went out of fashion because they were expensive to produce and worn only by top tiers.

Point is, they aren't any more uncomfortable than any other kind of high boots. You are exaggertaing and you know this.

There were no exaggerations. Thigh-high boots are not comfortable and are not ideal for acrobatic combat, something Wondy is fond of. Bras are worn rather widely and I'm told constantly those are not comfortable as well. There is a vast difference between shooting people and slow combat and the stuff Wondy does. And while that is a comic book with superheroes, it's not far off to think that anything that can handle Wondy's level of combat can be uncomfortable.
    edited March 2015
    There were no exaggerations. Thigh-high boots are not comfortable and are not ideal for acrobatic combat, something Wondy is fond of. Bras are worn rather widely and I'm told constantly those are not comfortable as well. There is a vast difference between shooting people and slow combat and the stuff Wondy does. And while that is a comic book with superheroes, it's not far off to think that anything that can handle Wondy's level of combat can be uncomfortable.

A skill required from a cavalryman in every historical age (unless they were going fully armored, but even then in some civilisations this skill was required) was to jump on jump off of your steed in a fluent manner with no real need for stirrups.
    Riders usually wore some kind of chaps or high boots.

How high are boots has absolutely no meaning for anything but overheating.

How thick is their sole or how stiff they are in ankles is what you are looking for if you are buying combat or trekking boots.

That's realistic concern.

Her old boots weren't any better. In fact if her new boots won't have any stupid high heels, they will be much, much better.

Also, bras, or open-top corsets with absolutely no support above cups? Seems like Diana's breasts were always magically glued inside so she can do all this kind of violent acrobatics with her arms rised high... Without giving a good show to everyone.

Sport bras or just a piece of fabric tightly wrapped around breasts were invented for a reason.

If we are going for "comfortable" as a criteria, then Diana's old costume was absolutely ridiculous and made no sense.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why are we arguing about how comfortable / practical certain costume pieces are when it's all a superhero fantasy and some level of suspension of disbelief is expected? Realism has always been a subjective grey area in superhero comic books. It's not like they actually show discomfort or hint at their costumes dragging their performance down.

When I give my CO toons thigh-high heels, the decision has always been based on mainly style and not practicality. She's able to perform acrobatics in said thigh-highs because...who cares? I can cherry-pick from any superhero reasoning and it would still work regardless. I'm pretty sure it's aesthetics that's the deciding factor when it comes for comic book costume choices that overrides any sort of technicality regarding whether or not the costume is comfortable / practical.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So wait a minute, on a board where people commonly snip at each other or make snarky comments, the minute I post a gif, people lose their **** and cry about the tone of posts and so on? Really?

lol okay. :rolleyes:

My comments in red.

I'm not sure why you're zeroing in on the gif thing. It was just one part of your response that came off as unfriendly. Just one part of the whole.

If you're upset about people making rude posts at one another, I urge you to send reports to your moderators about those posts. I know there's people here that think it's our job to read the forums day and night and when some posts go unmoderated, we're just playing favorites or we're just letting our friends have free reign or we just let bad posts go because we agree with the sentiment behind them.

Truth is, though, that we don't get paid to do this, we have lives outside the forums, and we are not capable of reading every single post that is made. Want to make a difference? Participate!

Now that that's out of the way...

I'm on my iPad so I apologize for any stupid typos or grammatical mistakes, and any confusion as to what part of your post I'm responding to.

1. I assumed you took offense because of the antagonistic style of your response. Blunt, harsh, "too bad" "ban me", all things that aren't said in normal friendly discourse. I just wanted to make discussion.

2. There's a way to joke around with friends and a way to joke around with people who aren't friends. I don't think you and I have ever talked before, so your jocularity didn't come off as friendly ribbing. You probably want to call me over sensitive right now. That's not me, I just had way different expectations.

4. Didn't answer my question...

7. (I think) I've been asked by people why I wear boots as everyday footwear, instead of sneakers or loafers or what have you. They say it's got to be uncomfortable. I say the opposite. What's comfortable and practical to you might just not be a universal truth.

Various responses to impracticality: Yep, yeah, doable, yup, sure, yep. Come on. I don't think you even considered a single one of those scenarios. Carrying a child to safety with blades coming out of your forearms? I suppose you have the world's most soothing voice and can just say "hush" to a terrified toddler so that she doesn't flail around and accidentally cut herself on your totally cool blades. You're telling me that there's no reason to worry, at all, because it's just "doable"? You plan on knocking them out first? I'd really like to know more details than yup, duh, doable.

Retort to me finding the blades distasteful: What? Yes, tangent. Hard tangent. As a person who is very often optimistic about this game, I really wonder why you're calling me out for letting others mock people who feel the way I do about it.

You said all hell breaks loose when you laugh at people for liking a costume? Is me politely asking a question "all hell breaking loose"? You seem to be reading between the lines a lot, when there's nothing there to read in the first place. I didn't attack you, I just asked.

Thigh high boots: you seem to have some second-hand evidence for some thigh-high boots being uncomfortable. That's like saying all t-shirts are uncomfortable because you tried one and some other people say they suck. Any kind of footwear can be made for comfort, the number of eyelets involved doesn't have to be an issue.

Finally, it's funny that you say people are "assuming malice" and then follow that up directly with telling people to calm down.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited March 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Why are we arguing about how comfortable / practical certain costume pieces are when it's all a superhero fantasy and some level of suspension of disbelief is expected? Realism has always been a subjective grey area in superhero comic books. It's not like they actually show discomfort or hint at their costumes dragging their performance down.

When I give my CO toons thigh-high heels, the decision has always been based on mainly style and not practicality. She's able to perform acrobatics in said thigh-highs because...who cares? I can cherry-pick from any superhero reasoning and it would still work regardless. I'm pretty sure it's aesthetics that's the deciding factor when it comes for comic book costume choices that overrides any sort of technicality regarding whether or not the costume is comfortable / practical.

For classic superhero style, I think you're absolutely correct.

I guess we're only arguing about it because I asked why it was silly.
    biffsig.jpg
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited March 2015

WW original costume is much more uncomfortable, starting with corset and bra that would struggle to keep her breasts inside with every movement, and ending at her panties giving her oh-so-comfortable feel also during exercises.

It's about time she lost her ridiculous old costume. It was dated, kept only because of badly understood "tradition" and did not fit at all with modern world and audience.

Now, someone should finally fix Power Girl outfit. This time for good.

And yet there's a modern audience that likes her original outfit (both of their outfits) and the only people who really have a problem with it, are the ones who won't read comics even if they were all in business suits and just wielded powers.
    edited March 2015
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    And yet there's a modern audience that likes her original outfit (both of their outfits) and the only people who really have a problem with it, are the ones who won't read comics even if they were all in business suits and just wielded powers.

This "modern" audience is mostly long time comic book fans who are still sticking around. Let's be true. A nearly 30+ old sworn comic book fan is not a proggressive audience, nor a really modern one.

Comic books need to modernise and reach to the new people instead of being stuck catering only to old crowds, or their sales still will be dropping. Marvel does a fairly good job with trying, though most of their new readers are drawn by movies. DC - not so much.

And a completely new reader gives absolutely no damn to tradition.

Image can get new readers for their Saga, IDW can get a completely new readers ith their TFs (and a people completely NOT interested in Hasbro toys, to boot). Meanwhile, Big Two can't really help with expanding their readers base.

It's time for superhero genre to either modernise and proggress, or to finally die out.
    edited March 2015
    -snip-

I won't defend her old costume beyond it did it for me and looked nice. It was pretty but I also understand some people are fans of the costume for other reasons and have no issue with that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the comfort issue.

Comments in red. TIME FOR THE THUNDERDOME!

TWO MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES!
    I'm not sure why you're zeroing in on the gif thing. It was just one part of your response that came off as unfriendly. Just one part of the whole.

It's the only thing that could rile a person up. In that very same post I concede that different people will have different views of the thing. I said that because I was admitting it was indeed a matter of opinion in the end. This is why I am confused. It's a tame as hell comment.

If you're upset about people making rude posts at one another, I urge you to send reports to your moderators about those posts. I know there's people here that think it's our job to read the forums day and night and when some posts go unmoderated, we're just playing favorites or we're just letting our friends have free reign or we just let bad posts go because we agree with the sentiment behind them.

Truth is, though, that we don't get paid to do this, we have lives outside the forums, and we are not capable of reading every single post that is made. Want to make a difference? Participate!

I used to be bothered and commented on them but eventually assumed this was how things were around here (I mostly read threads instead of posting) and I was simply being uptight. The reason why I mentioned them was that after seeing and finally getting used to such conduct, it seemed odd to see people suddenly upset about something so tame. In other games, I go into them uptight and relax as well so I assumed much of this was the same.

Now that that's out of the way...

*unsnikts snikting knives*

1. I assumed you took offense because of the antagonistic style of your response. Blunt, harsh, "too bad" "ban me", all things that aren't said in normal friendly discourse. I just wanted to make discussion.

I wasn't offended. I was thrown-off and surprised though. I honestly expected people to make fun of me or call me stupid. Naturally I'm overly blunt and verbose but rein it in on the boards. But I do know I have been cutting loose, so to speak, and posting in a manner closer to my regular manner of speaking. Written down, I can see how they come across as confrontational but in reality I never intended them to be.

2. There's a way to joke around with friends and a way to joke around with people who aren't friends. I don't think you and I have ever talked before, so your jocularity didn't come off as friendly ribbing. You probably want to call me over sensitive right now. That's not me, I just had way different expectations.

And that's the problem (my problem I guess?). As silly as they may sound, I do consider everyone a friend here to some degree, and assume everyone here either assumes I'm playing around or an idiot fit to be ignored. It's no big deal. I don't hate anyone here (not deeply anyways), even the people I have had spats with or whose posts come off as harsh. I dislike some aspects of this board, especially at first, but for the most part like everyone here and think they are decent people even if I disagree with them.

And we have talked before, in game and on the board (YOU DON'T REMEMBER ME? :frown: ). Then again, I remember all the people I've interacted with on this board and in the game for the most part so maybe I'm just weird. The last time we interacted with each other, you got on my case for the exact same thing, and wondered why I was seemed so hostile to you from the get go. Good times lol.

In the end, I assumed people would assume I was playing around and being silly. The post seems too silly to be taken seriously anyways.

4. Didn't answer my question...

???

7. (I think) I've been asked by people why I wear boots as everyday footwear, instead of sneakers or loafers or what have you. They say it's got to be uncomfortable. I say the opposite. What's comfortable and practical to you might just not be a universal truth.

I'll grant you that. And this is why in that fateful post I said, "different strokes for different folks". I acknowledged that from the get go. I wear suits all the time and people are horrified at that but I have become accustomed to it and don't mind at all.

Various responses to impracticality: Yep, yeah, doable, yup, sure, yep. Come on. I don't think you even considered a single one of those scenarios. Carrying a child to safety with blades coming out of your forearms? I suppose you have the world's most soothing voice and can just say "hush" to a terrified toddler so that she doesn't flail around and accidentally cut herself on your totally cool blades. You're telling me that there's no reason to worry, at all, because it's just "doable"? You plan on knocking them out first? I'd really like to know more details than yup, duh, doable.

Those scenarios are doable. I don't know how else to describe how doable they are without drawing a picture and my art sucks and even though I'm prone to being verbose, I dislike writing long posts. That and I don't even like the baraka blades ( I love this term). Personally I don't really care anymore. I took issue more about even commenting on practicality in the first place or using that as a reason when discussing comic book outfits. It seems silly to comment on it in the first place and why my first reaction to the outfit is devoid of any sentiment similar to that. I just thought it looked silly and reminded me of Sif's outfit from the movie and thus looked less than original. This leads me to another, possibly inflammatory point. I honestly feel like my aspects of my posts have been ignored or glossed over. A lot of stuff we're discussing I addressed in those two posts alone. This is also why I am perplexed by reaction to it (or them). Those posts are innocent. Innocent I tell you!

You see, I see it like this:
    Person A says they like the costume. They cite practicality as the reason.
    Person B (me), thinks that is a silly reason to like a comic book outfit, especially when there are other aspects o it that would count as impractical if practicality was an issue. So I go "nah brah, that's silly. Don't be silly". That's essentially my whole argument on that matter. I then follow it up with "but different strokes for different folks, but I think that's a silly reason".

No malice, no nothing.

Retort to me finding the blades distasteful: What? Yes, tangent. Hard tangent. As a person who is very often optimistic about this game, I really wonder why you're calling me out for letting others mock people who feel the way I do about it.

"(but note that I'll give my opinion on those characters without laughing at you for liking them)."

This is the part I was commenting on. The rest of that part of your post I kind of shrugged at.

You said all hell breaks loose when you laugh at people for liking a costume?

???? I never liked the costume. Come on now. I'm assuming you misspoke (or maybe I did in my previous post). "All hell breaks loose" is a bit of an exaggeration but understand where I'm coming from: I post a silly comment, leave, come back and see a bunch of responses to it. I'm flabbergasted at the response. I see the sentiment that I went to far or was too mean come up a few times and wonder "wtf?" It keeps coming up and I get accused of nonsense, despite what I see as a tame as hell joke, especially in comparison to the a lot of the stuff that goes down on these boards. So I'm trying to figure out why some people are upset because it's the tamest ****. I even mentioned it was a matter of opinion, which perplexes me more. I still don't understand it.

Is me politely asking a question "all hell breaking loose"? You seem to be reading between the lines a lot, when there's nothing there to read in the first place. I didn't attack you, I just asked.

I wasn't referring to that, which is why when you asked me, I politely asked for clarification, did I not? And in the next post, I further clarified, without any drama (yes, the tone of part of the post seemed harsh but it was never intended to be). The other posts and so on was more of what I was referring to since the other posts seemed more fair. But since you brought up some of the same concerns, I responded to those as well at the same time. My sentiments from responding to that post did bleed over to my response to your post since I was writing them all at the same time.

Thigh high boots: you seem to have some second-hand evidence for some thigh-high boots being uncomfortable. That's like saying all t-shirts are uncomfortable because you tried one and some other people say they suck. Any kind of footwear can be made for comfort, the number of eyelets involved doesn't have to be an issue.

Unfortunately, testimonials can't count for much and neither can personal experience but when I hear comments about a certain thing over and over and even read something similar in books and such and so on, it's hard to shrug my shoulders at something that comes as untrue to me. In other words, I still think I'm right but I don't care enough to follow up. Maybe if someone fusses at me about this I may continue.

Finally, it's funny that you say people are "assuming malice"

Because it certainly seems like it. We have people who think I think people are stupid when I never insinuated such a thing.

and then follow that up directly with telling people to calm down.

Because I do think people need to calm down. It was a throwaway comment that got some people fussy for no reason. I still don't understand it.
    edited March 2015
    This "modern" audience is mostly long time comic book fans who are still sticking around. Let's be true. A nearly 30+ old sworn comic book fan is not a proggressive audience, nor a really modern one.

That's some assumption. Are you saying that older fans aren't capable of being progressive and accept new modern ideas?

Older fans could like original costumes, especially if they feel that they're iconic, but storyline-wise they could want something more modern and contemporary. Art styles can be modern too and help give original costumes a new revamped look without deviating too much from the original look.
    edited March 2015
    That's some assumption. Are you saying that older fans aren't capable of being progressive and accept new modern ideas?

Yes, often they aren't. See Quesada and his approach to "Spidey is no longer how I remember him, HELP!!!".

Those changes with costumes, or new characters like Captain Marvel (this new girl, not Carol Danvers) aren't really made for older fans. If we like them, that's a side benefit and all's good. But publishers aren't really thinking about us when doing it.
    edited March 2015
    Just putting this out there: When you're super strong and/or super tough, something that might be uncomfortable to mere mortals doesn't even register to you.

Did we forget the people wearing these outfits have super powers?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So, lestylo, you deliberately patterned your first response off the very worst trolls we have in these forums, and then you're surprised that folks respond in an unfriendly fashion?

Let's be honest - you're coming off as more than a little disingenuous here.

And in my personal opinion, which is not the Word of God, Diana's original outfit wasn't terribly practical, but was rather based in the same fetish that caused Dr. Marston to create her in the first place. Nor was the later modification made to show more skin - the so-called "iconic" outfit that cut the top down further and ditched the skirt in favor of a bikini bottom. After all, it's well-established that Diana isn't bulletproof; that's why she needs the bracers. And sending her out in that would be like sending Batman into battle wearing his mask, a T-shirt, and bicycle shorts - no protection at all.

(That's part of why Power Girl can get away with the boob window. Her boobs are in fact bulletproof, and anyone who shoots at them is in for a surprise. And as one writer noted, it serves as a distraction for most men and a certain portion of women...)

I rather liked the outfit that Straczynski tried to put Diana in - the short jacket wasn't favorite, but the pants were at least a nod in the general direction of protection, and the shirt covered her shoulders.

This one seems to work as well, except of course for the wrist-blades; if they're not retractable, they're going to get in the way a lot.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2015
    snippage

Alright, fair enough. I'll save the rest of these folks the walls of text we've made. :P

I'll say though, that when people talk practicality when it comes to a female costume, they're usually talking about the choices artists make when trying to maximize sexiness. It usually involves a large-chested woman wearing some straps or pasties that wouldn't support a thing.

I'm all for comic book physics and science, and don't mind skimpy outfits at all, unless they get to the point of total ridiculousness. But when you see a character costume redesign that isn't just painting a big target on the B&B, it's pretty refreshing.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That first picture is not comparable to Wondy's original costume. I mean really. I did not like either but did not have issue with it.

Hahahahaha! Really? Look at it again.

19gt98fq91sexjpg.jpg

And compare:

48Xntme.jpg

Neither covers very much and as pointed out over and over, Wonder Woman is not bullet proof, thus her bracers.
    Actually I am. But no one will believe I studied this stuff in school nor will they believe I used to own a forge because I am an enthusiast in regards to medieval armor. Nobody will believe I have a good understanding abut the human body borne out of years of schooling and dealing with such issues in my current job.

Yes, though the metal in truth would actually be a lot more tarnished and designed to take weather into account. That armor was designed for maximum mobility and comfort.

It is actually. Mobility was the main issue. Discomfort came when it became too hot.

Cumbersome but definitely has a level of comfort. It's only a hassle to sit in chairs. I was allowed to wear a set before. For some reason, the morgue where I did a rotation had a few. I still to this day don't know why. In any case, armor can be comfortable or provide a lot of mobility or both. In the end though, I just thought the outfit looked silly. I also thought calling it practical was silly since it not that practical and worrying about practicality in fiction is again, silly.

You have an odd definition of "comfortable" then. Armor of any kind gets heavy, hot, and begins to chafe after you've worn it a while. Hell, there's a reason why you shouldn't wear it while sleeping.
    edited March 2015
    The problem with the joke pick of "Questioning my choice of attire" is let's look at what the VAST majority of classes wear in that genre...cloth (magic types) and leather...all things that won't protect you from an arrow!

Wonder Woman's costume works in the comic book world because the enemies that do you use guns aren't up to her skill level so she easily beats them, deflects their shots or dodges their shots.

Those that are at her levels, tend to use other things.
    edited March 2015
    And always remember...

Just because shiny...
    silver-metallic-club-dress.jpg

doesn't mean metal :wink:

63310.jpg
    edited March 2015
    The problem with the joke pick of "Questioning my choice of attire" is let's look at what the VAST majority of classes wear in that genre...cloth (magic types) and leather...all things that won't protect you from an arrow!

Wonder Woman's costume works in the comic book world because the enemies that do you use guns aren't up to her skill level so she easily beats them, deflects their shots or dodges their shots.

Those that are at her levels, tend to use other things.

All it takes is one lucky hit.
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, lestylo, you deliberately patterned your first response off the very worst trolls we have in these forums, and then you're surprised that folks respond in an unfriendly fashion?

Let's be honest - you're coming off as more than a little disingenuous here.

No the post was done in a playful manner. It was presenting an opposing opinion but being silly when doing so. And yes I am surprised because I act much like this elsewhere without issue. Hell I've been acting like this here just without using gifs and now people are upset when they never were before. Literally triggered by gifs. This is the only place that I have people getting offended by something like that. Show me another place that would get offended over something like this. It's absurd.

2015-03-10_01-58-57_zps1ovzzyvn.png

Hahahahaha! Really? Look at it again.
    Neither covers very much and as pointed out over and over, Wonder Woman is not bullet proof, thus her bracers.

No they're not comparable. The elf has far far less clothing than Wondy. You're stretching things for a rather pointless point to begin with.

You have an odd definition of "comfortable" then. Armor of any kind gets heavy, hot, and begins to chafe after you've worn it a while. Hell, there's a reason why you shouldn't wear it while sleeping.

Or you may have an odd definition of comfortable. Wearing something while sleeping is not a very good litmus test for comfort since a lot of things fall under that catagory and turns into a subjective thing anyways.
    edited March 2015
    No the post was done in a playful manner. It was presenting an opposing opinion but being silly when doing so. And yes I am surprised because I act much like this elsewhere without issue. Hell I've been acting like this here just without using gifs and now people are upset when they never were before. Literally triggered by gifs. This is the only place that I have people getting offended by something like that. Show me another place that would get offended over something like this. It's absurd.

2015-03-10_01-58-57_zps1ovzzyvn.png

No they're not comparable. The elf has far far less clothing than Wondy. You're stretching things for a rather pointless point to begin with.

Or you may have an odd definition of comfortable. Wearing something while sleeping is not a very good litmus test for comfort since a lot of things fall under that catagory and turns into a subjective thing anyways.

Gloriously oblivious.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Let's not forget that magical fantasy elves have healing potions...

and Wonder Woman is a Super Hero.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wonder Woman is sorta bullet proof she is an odd one. Being stabbed and shot can "kill" her but the death doesnt stick. Because she is a magical clay construct the Amazons she rules just do some dumb **** ritual and can bring her back.

Being shot dead is an inconvenience at best for Wonder Woman.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2015
    All it takes is one lucky hit.

And that goes for any armor.

See, the problem with all the "It's not realistic" comments is they're stupid. Of course it's not realistic! It hasn't been realistic since they started!

No one back when comics came out looked at the heroes in tights and said "Yup! People would totally go out in those outfits!" (okay, I'd argue some people if they had the right powers would totally go in such outfits, but in general, most wouldnt) and "It's totally practical to face a gunman with no armor!"

I'm not to sure the majority of comic fans want them in the realm of realism. I think the vocal minority too. You know, like all those internet hyped movies that have them thinking "This is going to make money!" and then it bombs :p

Though, I'd also say readers also want an outfit that looks good! But that's objective and as a comic reader I like the timelessness of superhero comics. I like that we still have Peter Parker, Diana Prince.

Also, the arm blades...just meh for WW. She's suppossed to be all punchy and using the lasso...and it feels like they're just changing her for the sake of movies.
    edited March 2015

"Far less?" That's "far" to you? What is "close" in your world? The only difference is Wonder Woman is wearing a one-piece rather than a two-piece. Otherwise, neither leaves much to the imagination.

Nor is second-hand information. But sleeping in armor was only an aside. Unless you think getting hot, weighed down, and chafing is comfortable, I think you need to rethink how you describe things.
    edited March 2015
    And that goes for any armor.

Nope.

Purpose of wearing an armor always was precisely to protect from random lucky hits like glanced blows or stray projectiles.
    In a planned duel situation armor wasn't considered that essential (unless ruleset for this kind of duel was precisely calling for armor). And it was never worn in a street fight self defense situations.

That's why armor is used in the first place. To protect from random hits over which you have no control and it's not realistic to expect being able to parry, dodge or use shield every time... It's worn only if you are going into a battle and you expect a lot of random things flying around.

No bulletproof vest will save you if you are puprosedly shot into face and no armor will save you if someone manages to thrust in a deliberate fashion straight into a helmet's visor.

Also, technically armor should not chaffe if worn with a proper kit underneath. The catch is, a proper kit underneath means that you'll overheat. So it's either overheating or chaffing, take your pick, lol. Most of the time people were picking an overheat option, though.
    edited March 2015
    Then again in a world filled with superheroes and supervillains, there are plenty of attacks that can penetrate armor.

I'd like to think that intense training and uncanny spatial-awareness gotten from such training can make the superhero rely less on bodily protection and more on combat sense to avoid / deflect even the most random unexpected attack.

An emphasis on armor is done if the armor defines the superhero aka Iron Man for e.g. and if it's made obvious that the superhero absolutely needs it to function as a superhero.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    wonderwoman.jpg

And a sidenote, comicbook companies present new outfits like dozen in a year. But in the end, the costumes revert back to their original looks.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited March 2015
    Nope.

Purpose of wearing an armor always was precisely to protect from random lucky hits like glanced blows or stray projectiles.
    In a planned duel situation armor wasn't considered that essential (unless ruleset for this kind of duel was precisely calling for armor). And it was never worn in a street fight self defense situations.

That's why armor is used in the first place. To protect from random hits over which you have no control and it's not realistic to expect being able to parry, dodge or use shield every time... It's worn only if you are going into a battle and you expect a lot of random things flying around.

No bulletproof vest will save you if you are puprosedly shot into face and no armor will save you if someone manages to thrust in a deliberate fashion straight into a helmet's visor.

Also, technically armor should not chaffe if worn with a proper kit underneath. The catch is, a proper kit underneath means that you'll overheat. So it's either overheating or chaffing, take your pick, lol. Most of the time people were picking an overheat option, though.

You obviously missed the quoted message that was "All it takes is one lucky hit"

People have died from one lucky hit while wearing armor.
    edited March 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    wonderwoman.jpg

And a sidenote, comicbook companies present new outfits like dozen in a year. But in the end, the costumes revert back to their original looks.

The problem with that pic, is if it bothered the character that much, why is she not just putting on pants.

Basically the artist of that piece is an idiot :p
    edited March 2015
    You obviously missed the quoted message that was "All it takes is one lucky hit"

People have died from one lucky hit while wearing armor.

Nope. Read it again.

I've precisely adressed this fact.

Purpose of armor was to made it less likely to die from lucky hits. Having armor makes it drastically less probable to die from misshaps.

It was always lightly armored or unarmored fighters who were en masse dying from lucky stray hits.

You don't have an armor? You're a mandatory unlucky victim of any arrowstorm or bullet barrage. Proved in practice more than once.

In comparison people who were dying by accident while wearing armor were far or few.

Kojiro's elf girl pic is dead spot on. That's what was happening to everyone without armor who was trying to charge opponents who were clever to not even bother with fghting back, but to just lay some surpressing fire.
    edited March 2015
    The problem with that pic, is if it bothered the character that much, why is she not just putting on pants.
    Have you been reading this thread? The same sort of freakout happened a few years ago, the last time an artist tried a Wonder Woman outfit with pants.

"But that's not her iconic outfit!!" the whining begins. To which I reply, "That's the point - her 'iconic outfit' is stupid, and exists only to show as much flesh as possible."

Seriously, butt-floss is supposed to be more "practical"?? When you gotta stop the fight every couple of minutes to pull your costume out of your butt?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited March 2015
    You don't have an armor? You're a mandatory unlucky victim of any arrowstorm or bullet barrage. Proved in practice more than once.

Proved in practice in real life.

We're not talking real life. We're talking superheroes; beings with extraordinary abilities able to pull off incredible feats no mere average person could ever dream of performing.

I could cook up some superhero counter to that arrowstorm or bullet barrage and it would be believable. Here, I'll do one with Wonder Woman; She uses her divinely-bestowed super speed to completely dodge said projectile storm. Good thing she dresses light and doesn't have heavy chunks of armor slowing her down either.
    edited March 2015
    Proved in practice in real life.

We're not talking real life. We're talking superheroes; beings with extraordinary abilities able to pull off incredible feats no mere average person could ever dream of performing.

No. But I'm taking slightly ridiculous argument that because some people, rarely, died by accident while clad in armor it invalidates concept of wearing armor.

There were also firemen who died on heir duty despite having a fireproof suits and rebreathers. And yet most of them still wear them going into the breach, instead of being like "screw it, don't need any silly suit", because probablity of dying with no protection is much, much higher than dying while wearing a protection.

That's not even an argumen "because people died in armor". For every unlucky person who died in armor there are dozen if not more people who died because of not being armored.
    edited March 2015
    No. But I'm taking slightly ridiculous argument that because some people, rarely, died by accident while clad in armor it invalidates concept of wearing armor.

There were also firemen who died on heir duty despite having a fireproof suits and rebreathers. And yet most of them still wear them going into the breach, instead of being like "screw it, don't need any silly suit", because probablity of dying winth no protection is much, much higher than dying while wearing a protection.

Well superpowers can already invalidate the concept of wearing armor. Yes, a fireman going into a burning building without wearing proper fireproof suit is nothing short of suicidal and irresponsible. A human being isn't impervious to heat and suffocation from smoke, which is why they need something external to overcome those obstacles.

That being said, firemen can pretty much be heroes in their own right, but still they're not superheroes as depicted in comic books. A superhero who doesn't wear armor but yet confidently charges into battle while expecting danger from all directions do so because they have the super-abilities to do so while making up for the lack of armor.

EDIT: By the way, what was said about one lucky hit being able to kill even if armor is involved isn't a ridiculous concept when you consider just how powerful some meta-beings are in superhero comics.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    -What are you??
    -Call me Murphy...ummm I'm Batman.
    :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited March 2015
    Gloriously oblivious.

Triggered by gifs. :rolleyes:
    "Far less?" That's "far" to you? What is "close" in your world? The only difference is Wonder Woman is wearing a one-piece rather than a two-piece.

That is far and it is still considerably different. I'm not going to equate something that shouldn't be equated.

Otherwise, neither leaves much to the imagination.

And neither would a see through outfit. Come on now.

Nor is second-hand information. But sleeping in armor was only an aside. Unless you think getting hot, weighed down, and chafing is comfortable, I think you need to rethink how you describe things.

My information is not purely second-hand but believe what you want. Getting hot is not always the case, being weighed down is true but only a serious issue if the armor is really heavy (which comes down to the person more so than the armor itself) or you're not in shape to wear it or used to it, chafing is an issue if the gear is too tight, too loose, or the garments you are wearing underneath, that is, the kind of fabric and so on. One's body type is also very important too.
    edited March 2015
    Well superpowers can already invalidate the concept of wearing armor. Yes, a fireman going into a burning building without wearing proper fireproof suit is nothing short of suicidal and irresponsible. A human being isn't impervious to heat and suffocation from smoke, which is why they need something external to overcome those obstacles.

That being said, firemen can pretty much be heroes in their own right, but still they're not superheroes as depicted in comic books. A superhero who doesn't wear armor but yet confidently charges into battle while expecting danger from all directions do so because they have the super-abilities to do so while making up for the lack of armor.

EDIT: By the way, what was said about one lucky hit being able to kill even if armor is involved isn't a ridiculous concept when you consider just how powerful some meta-beings are in superhero comics.

Again, this argument was supposedly made about people who died from lucky hits for real as if it matters.

For comic books no arguments regarding reality are valid. Aside of maybe having an armor made of adamantium or something like that.
    edited March 2015
    My information is not purely second-hand but believe what you want. Getting hot is not always the case, being weighed down is true but only a serious issue if the armor is really heavy (which comes down to the person more so than the armor itself) or you're not in shape to wear it or used to it, chafing is an issue if the gear is too tight, too loose, or the garments you are wearing underneath, that is, the kind of fabric and so on. One's body type is also very important too.

Getting hot was a serious issue as accounted at least twice, in 1410 at Tannenberg where Teutonic knights were exhausted just because of summer sun and during wars of Rome with East. Where enemy heavies were falling off of their horses due to exhaustion (and wearing closed-face helmets to made it even worse).

Bot accounts were made by people of the time, for them it was a natural issue that it can be very hot, too hot inside.

Properly made armor should not be too heavy, unless we are talking lower-tier modern reproductions that are a plenty. All surviving historical example are pretty light when compared to modern, often homemade, knock-offs.
  • riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the new Wonder Woman design to be honest, sure I don't like her bracers and the boots ride up a bit too high, but I do like it better than the original as I don't really enjoy stripperific outfits too much. As for practicality, except for the bracers, that's basically a non-issue, if I remember correctly, she has super strength, endurance, durability, and can fly. She could likely wear a costume made out of cacti and not be bothered by it.

As for the Batman one, I didn't even know that was Batman, it really does not give off a Batman vibe. Especially the rocket shoulders. Batman doesn't use guns, so I'd really doubt he'd use rockets. If he were to get a power armor, I'd think it would be a lot more slimming and meant for stealth, not walking in like a tank and blasting things apart.
    edited March 2015
    That is far and it is still considerably different. I'm not going to equate something that shouldn't be equated.

tumblr_m8f953B2mn1r6gtjf.gif
    edited March 2015
    riltmos wrote: »
    As for the Batman one, I didn't even know that was Batman, it really does not give off a Batman vibe. Especially the rocket shoulders. Batman doesn't use guns, so I'd really doubt he'd use rockets. If he were to get a power armor, I'd think it would be a lot more slimming and meant for stealth, not walking in like a tank and blasting things apart.
    Or like the suit Miller designed for The Dark Knight Returns - still pretty much shaped like the classic Batsuit, and no guns/missile pods/whatever. Guns were retconned out of Batman's arsenal back around Detective Comics #6 or so, way back in the day. And even Miller's hyperviolent version only used a firearm as a weapon once, when he swiped what looked like an M-60 from a gang member and used it to save a baby. Other than that, he carried a grapnel-hook-firing pistol during the sequence at the county fair, and that was it.

edited March 2015
    Again, this argument was supposedly made about people who died from lucky hits for real as if it matters.

For comic books no arguments regarding reality are valid. Aside of maybe having an armor made of adamantium or something like that.

Then the arguement of superheroes wearing armor is invalid. They're superheroes and not reality.

Reading many threads it comes off as "Well, I don't read comics any more, but what I think they should do..." or "Well, I don't read comics at all, but what I think they need to do..."

Then you get the arguement of "Well, if you changed their outfits, I'd start to read it because it means they're not doing *whatever such thing bugs me*" Then they do it and the response is "Well, I don't read/like/want to pay for comics"

As someone who actually buys and reads comics (Death Vigil, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, X-Men, Cyber Force, Spider-Gwen and Silk) I'd like them to stay in the spandex and not this "Let's be PC" or "We need to change their outfit in case of a movie"

Didn't care for Mystique's movie redesign either. Much prefered her classic outfit and she has a pants and belly shirt variation that would've worked just as well. :p
    edited March 2015
    Triggered by gifs. :rolleyes:

Triggered by people not liking you :biggrin:

If I'm fast enough to dodge bullets, I can wear whatever I please ^_____^ Where you people get the silly idea that bullets are the biggest thread in a super hero fight anyway? You guys aware they usin' adamantum claws and giant lazer beams and throwing busses at people out there? o3o Why it even matter i wanna wear a shiny belt or MC hammer pants? u3u

Then the arguement of superheroes wearing armor is invalid. They're superheroes and not reality.

Yeah but Tony Stark's reality is that he's too drunk to dodge anything, so in his case even in un-reality he needs the armor.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    batman-is-the-man-73036.jpg
    riltmos wrote: »

Batman quits Jim Gordon sets up "Batman squad" headed up by unknown in a mech suit. My money is on its being **** Greyson again >_>

If you looks closer you see the mech suits has POLICE LIGHTS...yeah so much for Batman hiding in the shadows :/

OMG **** IS SHORT FOR RICHARD YOU NUMBNUTS :O

I dont even....the Bat stupid has infected the interwebs ....
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2015
    Yeah but Tony Stark's reality is that he's too drunk to dodge anything, so in his case even in un-reality he needs the armor.

Tony needs the armor because apart from his genius intellect, he doesn't have any superpowers. The armor makes up for that shortcoming.

Yeah he had the Extremis virus once that made him metahuman. That was temporary though.
    edited March 2015
    Reading many threads it comes off as "Well, I don't read comics any more, but what I think they should do..." or "Well, I don't read comics at all, but what I think they need to do..."

But that's important. Editors do changes (unless they are Quesada, cough, cough) mostly to keep up with time and to gain new audience. Or just some free publicity.

She'll be back to her old silly outfit anyway, with another change to keep things "fresh".

Not sure at who is addressed change with Batman attire, though. Pikachu/The Tick fans... No, wait, that's also old audience...
    edited March 2015
    But that's important. Editors do changes (unless they are Quesada, cough, cough) mostly to keep up with time and to gain new audience. Or just some free publicity.

She'll be back to her old silly outfit anyway, with another change to keep things "fresh".

Not sure at who is addressed change with Batman attire, though. Pikachu/The Tick fans... No, wait, that's also old audience...

Free publicity, but it ruins the comic for the current fans. Sure, maybe a change might work, but not often (as we see), and it goes back to them making changes for people who will never read the comic.
    edited March 2015

If it means getting rid of those stupid-looking wrist-pikes, I'm all for it.