test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make all cosmics work the way Mega Destroid does.

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Suggestions Box
With a timer, and with nobody needing to be grouped to get in on the rewards, everyone getting a chance at the rewards no matter how much dps they contributed so long as they tagged the boss at some point, and with the boss appearing frequently throughout the day. Simple, benefits every single person involved, no downsides for anyone.
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Agreed on the intended change.
    But out of curiosity, does mega destroyer drop its unique device for non-topscore-players? If it still drops it at all since On Alert that is.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aiqa wrote: »
    But out of curiosity, does mega destroyer drop its unique device for non-topscore-players? If it still drops it at all since On Alert that is.
    Hypothetically, yes. Assuming the device still drops, as you said...

It (theoretically) works that way with Takofanes, too, during Blood Moons.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Signed on a couple conditions...

1.) more HP to off set (potentially) more player attacks
    2.) Drop rate stays similar to now (maybe a little higher) to prevent people from one and done for drops. For replay purposes.
    edited March 2015
    aiqa wrote: »

Is it that Mega-D stomp thing?
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hypothetically, yes. Assuming the device still drops, as you said...

It (theoretically) works that way with Takofanes, too, during Blood Moons.

Takofanes is not only theoretically, deathlord on the other hand only drops the AF for the top score. I don't think we can extrapolate those to the "destroids rise again" open world mission.
    Is it that Mega-D stomp thing?

No, you get that from the perk for killing a certain number of mega destroids in the resistance AP.
    The unique device from the open world mission mega destroyer is the "portable robot factory".
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1.) more HP to off set (potentially) more player attacks.

Definitely this. That said I've always been a fan of cosmics that stray a good distance from their origin location so that would be cool too.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Its been confirmed by Gentleman_Crush that he removed the purple devices from all Open Missions. Mostly just because.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mega-D has no unique drop any more, but its drops are still segregated by your score -- top score gets 2 recognition, second score gets 1, and below that I'm not sure. All legacy open missions work that way, only the event missions (blood moon other than the herald, the anniversary event, clarence I'm not entirely sure) have equal drops for all participants. Also, the resources from defeating the mega-D are divided according to your damage done.

And yes, G. Crush went on a rampage and made an awful lot of the game's content utterly irrelevant.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Its been confirmed by Gentleman_Crush that he removed the purple devices from all Open Missions. Mostly just because.

That's really annoying. I wouldn't mind seeing this change, but I'd also love a review of drops. Even if we can't get the devices restored - it would be nice if the open world cosmics dropped useful items and gear.

That was one really nice thing about the Mechanon event - some of the gear and temp devices you could get, for running it.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    edited March 2015

Well that's depressing to hear.
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mega-D has no unique drop any more, but its drops are still segregated by your score -- top score gets 2 recognition, second score gets 1, and below that I'm not sure. All legacy open missions work that way, only the event missions (blood moon other than the herald, the anniversary event, clarence I'm not entirely sure) have equal drops for all participants. Also, the resources from defeating the mega-D are divided according to your damage done.

And yes, G. Crush went on a rampage and made an awful lot of the game's content utterly irrelevant.

Which is exactly what will happen with the Kiga drops. But hey, just keep whining.

Back before the nerf, the Portable Robotic Factory from the Destroids Rise Again OM was only dropped for the top scorer. Same with the Lemurian Amulet of the Predator from the Water Hazards OM and the Chimeral Potions from the Burden of the Beastmen OM. Yes I know from having several of them on multiple toons, all scoring in 1st place. Yes, I am elitist scum or whatever for not letting others have a shot at 1st place. :rolleyes:

Never did get the Pirated Override Codes from Plunder of the Sea despite farming that for months. Thanks Crush. :mad:

jonsills wrote:
    Okay, fine. My apologies to all the farmers I've dragged down with my non-optimized builds. If you'll please let me know your global names, I'll check for you in every group I'm in, and if you're there, I'll go ahead and leave the group so my lack of usefulness won't hamper your work.

Judging by some of your comments and the lack of seeing you in any one of 1000's of alerts, I'm not even sure you play this game. :confused:

If you want to try your hand at these rewards, I suggest, as was suggested before, to be polite and try and get into groups or a chat channel that keeps tabs on these cosmics to have a shot at the action. Or, start your own groups and channels for these purposes.

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure sounds good.

...that is if you are referring to Mega Destroid Invasion.

/signed
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Judging by some of your comments and the lack of seeing you in any one of 1000's of alerts, I'm not even sure you play this game. :confused:

Considering we're talking about content that occurs outside of alerts... I find this an ironic statement.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    edited March 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Sure sounds good.

...that is if you are referring to Mega Destroid Invasion.

/signed

I mean Mega Destroid in M-City. i.e. content where anyone can walk up, start shooting at the thing, and get some sort of reward for participating, with a visible timer so everybody knows when it's going to start.

I don't really care much for how the points system works, just so long as we get rid of the ridiculous parts of the encounter.
    edited March 2015
    Sure that's still an improvement I guess.

Your new sig reminds me of Ronald McDonald.

Dat Bass tho.
    edited March 2015
    Sure that's still an improvement I guess.

Your new sig reminds me of Ronald McDonald.

Dat Bass tho.

Kagami is very Ronald McDonald-esque.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    OP and Thread Title do not match. Also, as stated previously, The Robot Factory was for 1st place(and was lost with On Alert) so, according to that...sure...any random can show up and do a few EB ticks(or more but this "everybody who damages it bit" would only require a few EB ticks really) for their shot at a green item, a catalyst, and maybe a Q Box(Spoiler: This is the drops over 99% of the time so get used to looting them). :cool:

Honestly, this thread makes me want them to put the OM Rewards back in the game more than anything else. That would actually have a much larger affect on the game IMO. So yeah, let's do that please. :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited March 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    so, according to that...sure...any random can show up and do a few EB ticks(or more but this "everybody who damages it bit" would only require a few EB ticks really) for their shot at a green item, a catalyst, and maybe a Q Box(Spoiler: This is the drops over 99% of the time so get used to looting them). :cool:

^ I'm not concerned about this. Or, to be more specific, I am infinitely less concerned with this than I am with people showing up and not being able to participate. People who score higher having a higher chance is fine, just so long as everybody gets a roll.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would love open world bosses to work like event bosses, have a public timer, and have respawn times greatly reduced, like once every 4 hours.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This would give it stages to do BEFORE encountering Teleiosaur and Qwyjibo.

Unfortunately, I think this idea has a few flaws. Such as, the location of the encounter should be moved over to Slither beach. More of the same things need to be added in each of the stages. And, it culminates w/ you fighting Telieosaur AND Qwyjibo, not Telieos (who would be trimmed out, imo, and therefore some of the story would be trimmed too).

The way I'd work the Teleiosaur + Qwyjibo fight is: you are helping Qwyjibo to down Teleiosaur. After T is down, now Q is fully enraged by his injection that you have to put him down. Or vice versa.
    Or something like: you have to make sure Teleiosaur gets defeated BEFORE Qwyjibo goes down, else the encounter fails. You would still have to fight Qwyjibo if you did down T first.

My primary reason for this thought is, I always enjoyed seeing T and Q in the Open World pathing toward each other for another fight. That was GREAT to see. I don't think I ever saw one defeat the other, as they would eventually just separate and go back to their "usual" path.

Another flaw with this idea is that now neither T nor Q would be roaming MI any more. This, I believe is a minor issue as most of us never see them this way, any ways, any more.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So, you want only the highest dps person being the only one with a chance at the only thing anyone wants? Or do you want everyone to be able to roll on the only thing anyone wants? Or do you want to strip out the only items anyone wants and replace it with a crappy green, 200q box, and a catalyst?

Outside of the reduced timer, what you're asking for isn't clear. It also ignores that when people say "cosmics" they mean "Kiga" and it's not about being able to participate, but getting his costume bits.

Most people don't leave MC as it is and I suspect the only reason Mega D gets attention is because he's right next to the RenCen. Does anyone bother with Grond anymore? Or is he not a cosmic?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited March 2015
    Dat Bass tho.
    Because you're all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no tuna...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited March 2015
    I would personally prefer to see a lottery system for open missions instead of strict ranking, so 5% damage -> 5% chance to get the drop. Scoring effects other than damage, unfortunately, ranges from stupidly exploitable (healing) to nearly impossible (buffs and debuffs).
    edited March 2015
    You don't see me in "any one of 1000's [sic] of alerts" because by and large, I don't do alerts. I run the occasional Grab to score that sweet, sweet XP boost, of course, but other than that I use the content we supposedly don't have (right now, Captain Bananahammock is fighting in the area of Stronghold, the Duck Knight has gone back in time to try to stop the Apocalypse from happening, and Happifun Security System X-4 runs Unity missions every so often; the others are mostly in stasis until I decide I want them).

On the other tentacle, I'm not sure I've ever seen you out there in the world...

edited March 2015
    MI crisis already is a repeatable mission (there's a totem pole on the beach that lets you repeat it), structured with a queue, and lets you fight Teleiosaurus (though level 30 legendary instead of level 40 cosmic, and not using a few powers); it has some small bugs, but changing it to be a proper mission to fight a Cosmic, ignoring the (buggy) Teleios fight, and setting all difficulty to Scary Monster, has some appeal.
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

• soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    OP and Thread Title do not match. Also, as stated previously, The Robot Factory was for 1st place(and was lost with On Alert) so, according to that...sure...any random can show up and do a few EB ticks(or more but this "everybody who damages it bit" would only require a few EB ticks really) for their shot at a green item, a catalyst, and maybe a Q Box(Spoiler: This is the drops over 99% of the time so get used to looting them). :cool:

Honestly, this thread makes me want them to put the OM Rewards back in the game more than anything else. That would actually have a much larger affect on the game IMO. So yeah, let's do that please. :biggrin:

As I just said... :biggrin:

Putting the devices back in is something I can get behind. But the problem is that how does Cryptic determine the drop criteria? Sounds like the code is still based off the top scorer and that won't sit well with the entitlement crowd as we have already proven.

I thought the drifter salvage store was to be the way to get the old legacy devices back into the game but that seems to have been yet another abandoned system. The choice Cryptic made of giving players only a chance at the device they want was probably not the best decision as it had to have a chilling effect on sales.

edited March 2015

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    MI crisis already is a repeatable mission (there's a totem pole on the beach that lets you repeat it), structured with a queue, and lets you fight Teleiosaurus (though level 30 legendary instead of level 40 cosmic, and not using a few powers); it has some small bugs, but changing it to be a proper mission to fight a Cosmic, ignoring the (buggy) Teleios fight, and setting all difficulty to Scary Monster, has some appeal.

It's the one place I'm SURE I can see these 2.

I think that totem pole puts you into current crisis que, just as it does at the MC jet.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited March 2015
    I would personally prefer to see a lottery system for open missions instead of strict ranking, so 5% damage -> 5% chance to get the drop. Scoring effects other than damage, unfortunately, ranges from stupidly exploitable (healing) to nearly impossible (buffs and debuffs).

I don't like this, because it has the opposite effect of what I'm looking for. The more people that show up, the less a chance you have of getting the thing... suddenly we're back to where we were.

Much simpler: Top three ranked spot get a somewhat higher chance, 4th and below all get the same moderate chance. Min-maxers still get their feel of accomplishment, everyone else still gets a fair shot, even if they are a healer or a supporter or a tank.
    edited March 2015
    sterga wrote: »
    So, you want only the highest dps person being the only one with a chance at the only thing anyone wants? Or do you want everyone to be able to roll on the only thing anyone wants? Or do you want to strip out the only items anyone wants and replace it with a crappy green, 200q box, and a catalyst?

Outside of the reduced timer, what you're asking for isn't clear. It also ignores that when people say "cosmics" they mean "Kiga" and it's not about being able to participate, but getting his costume bits.

Most people don't leave MC as it is and I suspect the only reason Mega D gets attention is because he's right next to the RenCen. Does anyone bother with Grond anymore? Or is he not a cosmic?

It's plenty clear if you read what I typed.
    edited March 2015
    If all cosmics were like Mega D, that would mean stripping out Kiga's costume bits and replacing it with a crappy green and some rec tokens. Because that's what Mega D is like. You also say that a chance at a reward based on DPS is NOT what you want to see because it is the opposite of your intent.

It sounds like everyone should get a shot at the non-existent good drops based on DPS, but you're giving conflicting information in your posts.

The three scenarios I listed are how your posts can be interpreted. So, no, it's not clear.
    edited March 2015
    sterga wrote: »
    If all cosmics were like Mega D, that would mean stripping out Kiga's costume bits and replacing it with a crappy green and some rec tokens. Because that's what Mega D is like. You also say that a chance at a reward based on DPS is NOT what you want to see because it is the opposite of your intent.

It sounds like everyone should get a shot at the non-existent good drops based on DPS, but you're giving conflicting information in your posts.

The three scenarios I listed are how your posts can be interpreted. So, no, it's not clear.

Stop interpreting (i.e. adding things I didn't type) and just read the post, and everything will become clear. I know you really want to argue against anything that changes this part of the game in any way, but I'm not going to respond to the things you imagine about what I'm trying to say.
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The issue i'm seeing is it wouldn't be hard to leave a character there and have a very simple macro prevent him from being DCed and auto EB (or more) anything in range. If people were willing to do it for Megaterak i assume the rarest costumes in the game would be enough to find a ton of bots at kiga's.

Also i'd rather see global messages in the zone to hint at the spawn (I am Takofanes blah blah) than a bold timer.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe implement a timer criteria to prevent people jumping into the fight during the last few seconds, tagging the cosmic and yet still somehow remain eligible for the reward roll.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not impossible to also implement a code to detect if a player does nothing but use their EB in the fight to cheese their way to a reward, or if all they do is just fire off one or two shots to tag the cosmic then do nothing for the rest of the fight.
    edited March 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Also I'm pretty sure it's not impossible to also implement a code to detect if a player does nothing but use their EB in the fight to cheese their way to a reward, or if all they do is just fire off one or two shots to tag the cosmic then do nothing for the rest of the fight.
    Or, you can just track total damage done and scale rewards based on it.
    edited March 2015
    Or, you can just track total damage done and scale rewards based on it.

Or not, because of how biased the game is towards the DPS mechanic and how damage-tracking discriminates against people that don't build towards DPS.
    edited March 2015
    If you've got a "simple macro" that can keep someone from being DC'd, you could probably make some money off of it when the connection to the server starts acting up.

edited March 2015
    Or not, because of how biased the game is towards the DPS mechanic and how damage-tracking discriminates against people that don't build towards DPS.
    That's not a bug. That's a feature.
    edited March 2015

edited March 2015
    That's not a bug. That's a feature.

And it's something I don't agree with, hence my suggestions for something more lucrative for global participation regardless of role, and not just DPS spam,
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
    And it's something I don't agree with, hence my suggestions for something more lucrative for global participation regardless of role, and not just DPS spam,

Perhaps we could move the DPS challenge into another mission: the idea of being #1 is appealing to some and not having a reward for it is kinda like, meh what is the point.

So I would like to see maybe both set up in some sort of fashion. Perhaps the reward could be in the form of Globals or a new mission type altogether. Maybe hero games...DPS wars? But as far as a costume drop I feel it should be just like any other costume drop.
    edited March 2015
    But as far as a costume drop I feel it should be just like any other costume drop.
    Which 'any other' are we talking about? Most costume drops are ordinary drops and work just like any other drop -- they go to the highest damage (outside of legendary+, this is rarely a factor since most things are solo kills anyway).
    edited March 2015
    This was probably mentioned but a giant health bar for the cosmics akin to what they do in Neverwinter for the open-world dragons would be cool as well. It would let you know how far along the cosmic-killing is and let you make a more educated decision on whether or not it's worth the time/effort.
    edited March 2015

edited March 2015
    "Expressing their opinions on the internet..how dare they!"
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Stop interpreting (i.e. adding things I didn't type) and just read the post, and everything will become clear. I know you really want to argue against anything that changes this part of the game in any way, but I'm not going to respond to the things you imagine about what I'm trying to say.

I don't argue against anything that changes this part of the game here. Having the Cosmic timers all around the same is a good thing. There is no reason why some are 6 hours and some are 1.5 hours. Everything you say after that is unclear.

Making Cosmics like Mega D (what you say in the title) means stripping out good rewards, replacing them with crap, and giving out that crap based on the DPS done. With only the highest DPS person getting the best crap.

First you say:
    With a timer, and with nobody needing to be grouped to get in on the rewards, everyone getting a chance at the rewards no matter how much dps they contributed so long as they tagged the boss at some point, and with the boss appearing frequently throughout the day. Simple, benefits every single person involved, no downsides for anyone.

Which says everyone gets a reward based on pure RNG no matter how much damage they contribute.

After that you say:
    ^ I'm not concerned about this. Or, to be more specific, I am infinitely less concerned with this than I am with people showing up and not being able to participate. People who score higher having a higher chance is fine, just so long as everybody gets a roll.

Which is also different. This would mean that everyone gets a chance at the same drops, but those with higher DPS have a bonus chance. It's part DPS based and part RNG based.

Finally there is:
    Much simpler: Top three ranked spot get a somewhat higher chance, 4th and below all get the same moderate chance. Min-maxers still get their feel of accomplishment, everyone else still gets a fair shot, even if they are a healer or a supporter or a tank.

This is rewards based on DPS brackets. And maybe RNG within brackets. But if you aren't in a certain bracket, you don't have a shot at certain prizes. Not pure RNG and not top DPS only gets the top prize.

You presented 4 different ways to distribute the rewards. Which makes what you want unclear.
    edited March 2015
    Which 'any other' are we talking about? Most costume drops are ordinary drops and work just like any other drop -- they go to the highest damage (outside of legendary+, this is rarely a factor since most things are solo kills anyway).

I would want a deadman vest drop rate. Still very rare