test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Same Bat Channel, Same Bat Stupid U_U

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Off Topic
OK the Bat rage continues U__U

Seems Bruce Wayne is taking a leaf outta Catwoman's book and handing his cowl to another person ( seems the new Batman is a cop ) ...or should I say handing his BRAND NEW MEGA ZORD to another person -_-"

img_6716_all-new-batman-batman-41-solicitation-details.jpg

Stop_acting_so_stupid.gif

Sometimes I dont even.
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ofcourse DC had to counter Marvel's "New Wolverine" storyline.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Ofcourse DC had to counter Marvel's "New Wolverine" storyline.
    Except that they already did, right down to James Howlett's inevitable return. Remember when Batman was dead for a while, and Richard Grayson had to don the cowl? Same deal as the neo-Wolverine thing, but done quite a while back.

This is just... I don't know. I think they have the idea that they have to keep coming up with more and more over-the-top ideas, even though "over the top" wasn't what kept Detective Comics selling even when the rest of the industry looked like it was going down the ol' porcelain fixture. So we get the Big Eye storyline, and we get the Omega Beams, and now we get the Mecha-Bunny up there, which seeing it always makes me hear the voice of Arthur (and his brave battle cry, "Not in the face! Not in the face!!").
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He's the Azrael Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    This is just... I don't know. I think they have the idea that they have to keep coming up with more and more over-the-top ideas, even though "over the top" wasn't what kept Detective Comics selling even when the rest of the industry looked like it was going down the ol' porcelain fixture.

I don't know those old 1950s Batman comics look pretty over the top silly to me.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Batman gains antenna that looks like the tick!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone else thinks he looks like a Mech -bunny?
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone else thinks he looks like a Mech -bunny?

I thought the tick myself, but at least it's about time he's gained a mech suit.

Just never seen a reason for Bruce Wayne not to pull an Iron Man, when it's shown he can. Made sense not to when he was just Gotham's protector, but joining the League, I think he needs more than being the great tactician. :p

Now if he never showed himself in such a suit, I'd think differently.
    edited March 2015
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    I thought the tick myself, but at least it's about time he's gained a mech suit.
    I'd say more Arthur than the Tick; the Tick's antennae looked more or less like antennae, while Arthur's (his costume was supposed to be a moth) keep getting mistaken for bunny ears.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1423718570874_zpsc5jvcllw.gif1423172149273_zps9s0bwllw.gif

Now that's just embarrassing. If you're going to do something this silly, at least make the armor look good. Though I'm rather surprised they didn't take their silliness further and add racing stripes.

I mean really now. smh
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Didn't batman already do this in that one cartoon where future bat man with the black red?
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Are those bunny ears?!?

How the mighty have fallen...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He's the Azrael Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that.

latest?cb=20090613190027

Ahhh... the '90s.
    edited March 2015
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that.

latest?cb=20090613190027

Ahhh... the '90s.

It's funny how the only thing I found objectionable about this outfit when I was younger was the lack of a proper belt (like many heroes for whatever reason). That and the thigh pouches annoyed me because where's the symmetry?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And let's not forget Supes and WWs new duds.

AC-Cv411-c4e2a(1).jpg

WW-Cv41-c43ae.jpg

And following a MAJOR SPOILER:
    Joker is actually an immortal.
    'Nuff Said.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015

.Joker is actually an immortal.
    'Nuff Said.

Supes one is very Superboy'ish and DAFUQ is going on with Wonder Woman she thinks she's blinking Wolverine now XD

Joker being an immortal doesnt actually mess with batcanon as the Joker in one of his "multiple choice " origins claimed to be the long-lived jester of an Egyptian pharaoh and that was decades ago. He already told Batman he cant die Batman never listened.

Seems his longevity is down too a more pure form of the Lazarus pit chemicals in his system.

But being Immortal means all the "multiple choices" could be sort of correct give or take a few BS which is to be honest sort of funny and very Joker.

Well anyhoo all this stupid seems is to much for Wayne and he has given his mantle to a cop.

He's like "NOPE IM DONE F@%$ IT!"

Hey does that me we can have a epic Ra's Al Ghul vs Joker stab off , they could do some funny stuf with them two trying to kill each other. That said its still dumb U_U

joker-immortal-panel-wait-so-now-the-joker-s-immortal.jpeg?width=640&height=431
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2015
    1426193823503_zpsabjcxfpu.png

Superman is now Conner Kent? And holy crap that Wonder Woman costume is horrible. Because the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Wonder Woman is Baraka from Mortal Kombat doing poor Sif from Thor movie cosplay. I mean really now. :rolleyes:

'Nuff Said.

I don't have enough pictures of people laughing to express how silly I find this. Then again, I'm not surprised. They were probably running out of reasons to have Batman save Joker/ways to keep from killing off Joker and decided to drop all pretenses. Oh well.
    edited March 2015
    I kind of like Diana's new outfit there. At the very least, it's more practical for combat than her old bustier-and-bikini-bottom combo.

Clark looks like he's about ready to give up on the whole "hero" gig, and just go crab-fishing in the Bering Sea for the rest of his life.

And any origin story for the Joker should be taken with several grains of salt, preferably accompanied by a large margarita. His defining characteristic at this point, after all, is that he's so far out of touch with reality that they haven't even written to each other in years. And anything touching on the history of Gotham quickly falls prey to the Unreliable Narrator - nothing anyone says on the topic should be trusted.

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A friend of mine pointed out that while there's good elements to WW's new outfit, when you put them together, BANG, '90s Image book.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited March 2015
    I am the Dark Knight!

Batman-Beyond-580x333.png

With some bright red elements so I don't get hit by traffic.

PS - wonder woman's new outfit is way hotter than the old one.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think Wonder Woman's outfit is just fine, except for the bracer blades. I guess replacing Ares as the god of war means you can't just carry your sharp pointies, you have to wear them.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think Wonder Woman's outfit is just fine, except for the bracer blades. I guess replacing Ares as the god of war means you can't just carry your sharp pointies, you have to wear them.
    Basically this.

Wonder Woman is still very recognizable as Wonder Woman even though the blades are stupid.

Superman looks like some random dude who found a t-shirt with the logo on it. And the less said about Rabbitbot the better.
    edited March 2015

AC-Cv411-c4e2a(1).jpg

WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****??
    WW-Cv41-c43ae.jpg

Well, except for the silly bracer-blades, that actually looks practical.
    And following a MAJOR SPOILER:
    'Nuff Said.

Is that actually surprising at all? Considering all of the falls from great heights he's had and times he's allegedly died, that actually makes some sense.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think Wonder Woman's outfit is just fine, except for the bracer blades.

My thoughts exactly.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I am the Dark Knight!

Batman-Beyond-580x333.png

With some bright red elements so I don't get hit by traffic.
    I did up a costume for Spider-Bat Beyond, just for giggles. The wings are a little difficult, especially since we can't have a version of any flight power that has the arms stretched out to the side and no cloak overlaid. (Capeless Cape Glide, please!!!) And I can't get the mouth quite right. But at least the color scheme is easy enough...

edited March 2015
    *People find pointy metal pelvic pieces, thigh high boots, and 90s aesthetic to be practical and good costume design*

1423513141199_zpsx47fdqa6.gif

All it's missing is pouches and an unnecessary overjacket. Different strokes for different folks I guess (though it amazes and pleases me that people here aren't defending the baraka blades) but I still think it's silly looking, made even worse when waving the banner of practicality around. :rolleyes:
    edited March 2015

WW-Cv41-c43ae.jpg

I don't care about practicality, styles, eras, or any of that other nonsense. I'm qouting this picture again because it's just plain sexy. This outfit gives me the vapors somethin' fierce.
    edited March 2015
    Gave Superman, Superboy's outfit was my first though.

WW's outfit sucks, because it still goes back to feeling like "We can't have her in her iconic outfit because PC people who don't read comics don't like it"

Joker as an immortal...hmmm...taking DC comics as a whole, this doesn't sound bad. When one thinks of just Batman, it seems it might be a little out of place for his number 1 foe to have such a power.
    edited March 2015
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    WW's outfit sucks, because it still goes back to feeling like "We can't have her in her iconic outfit because PC people who don't read comics don't like it"

Agreed.

/10chars
    edited March 2015
    lestylo wrote: »
    *People find pointy metal pelvic pieces, thigh high boots, and 90s aesthetic to be practical and good costume design*

Silly-looking, how? Remember that we're talking about superhero outfits, now.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited March 2015
    Remember that we're talking about superhero outfits, now.

What's the significance of this part of your comment?
    edited March 2015

1423513141199_zpsx47fdqa6.gif

All it's missing is pouches and an unnecessary overjacket. Different strokes for different folks I guess (though it amazes and pleases me that people here aren't defending the baraka blades) but I still think it's silly looking, made even worse when waving the banner of practicality around. :rolleyes:

Pleeeeaaase.... it looks like actual armor now and not breast-plate.
    edited March 2015
    What's the significance of this part of your comment?

Because as far as superhero outfits go, this is hardly a bad design and impractical.

Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but laughing at and rolling your eyes at people who think it's decent, I think warrants some discussion. Like, what's wrong with a "metal pelvic piece" (disregarding the fact that it doesn't look like metal at all, unless you're talking about the belt), thigh high boots (which have been around in comics forever), and a 90's aesthetic (which I'm not even really seeing)?

None of these things fall outside the normal area of superhero designs. So I'm wondering what you think is so ridiculous about it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    WW new outfit is better than her old one.

Now, Mecha Rabbit Batman is plain hilarious.

Supes t-shirt isn't anything new. He had this kind of makeshift costume right at the very beginning of New52.
    edited March 2015
    Because as far as superhero outfits go, this is hardly a bad design and impractical.

That's relative as hell.
    Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but laughing at and rolling your eyes at people who think it's decent, I think warrants some discussion.

Honestly, and I'm going to be blunt and maybe a bit harsh, but that's too bad. Ban me if a rule has been broken (I don't frequent this board often enough anyways) but such conduct is standard fare as far as this board is concerned. In any case, I also found the idea that such a outfit is practical funny because most people who use it know little about what exactly counts as practical for an actual fight. At least Spinny was honest enough to say it turns him on. I can't **** on that and it doesn't evoke amorphous concepts grounded in often conflicting ideas.

I also found the outfit to be ugly so people thinking this outfit was good was amusing to me.

The idea of practicality in comics is a weird one. People are willing to **** on one thing while excusing the other even though they fall under the same banner. It's one thing to say you like the outfit. Fine. It's another to call it practical and then **** on part of the outfit that actually has a use while excusing parts of the outfit that are not practical.

Like, what's wrong with a "metal pelvic piece" (disregarding the fact that it doesn't look like metal at all, unless you're talking about the belt), thigh high boots (which have been around in comics forever), and a 90's aesthetic (which I'm not even really seeing)?

What's wrong with the baraka blades she is sporting then? Unless you think those look good. Those are not new to comics and serve a purpose as far as comic book outfits go and thus can be seen as practical, so should we defend that as well? To excuse one and not the other doesn't make sense. Its almost hypocritical. Even commenting on practicality, they have a use in combat so they pass that test as well whereas the thigh-high boots only mean something if she is going wading in high water, which is silly for someone who can fly.

The thigh high boots look silly, just like the baraka blades look silly. The belt (yes I was referring to the belt) looks silly and can't be comfortable (think of a giant belt buckle), the thigh high boots can't be comfortable as well and look silly, and the 90s aesthetic refers to the overall look including the baraka blades (that screams 90s). The extra parts and so on add to that as well. Again, all it is missing is a jacket and pouches to complete the look.
    None of these things fall outside the normal area of superhero designs. So I'm wondering what you think is so ridiculous about it.

I've commented on those parts, among other parts I've ignored because it seems pointless/unnecessary to comment on. One is free to like it, as I said before but it I still think it looks silly and impractical and to call it practical is silly. And to use the excuse "None of these things fall outside the normal area of superhero designs" excuses a whole lot of things because many things in superhero design fall within this idea. Seriously, think about a costume or superhero design you dislike and you'll find yourself answering your own question.
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In regards to WW's new look, is it me or can they not get hip wear to look right even in a free-hand drawing?

I swear that's loin-skirt is clipping.

Edit: Supe's stopped tryin'...

...and apparently Bruce has given up completely, heh.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
    edited March 2015
    It is all a matter of taste.

Sooner or later icon characters will just end up back in their iconic costumes anyway...

Robobat looks like a joke however, and superman looks like the laziest cosplayer ever. The wonder woman outfit gets a shrug, I guess it's aight as far as redesigns go.
    edited March 2015
    If they're going to have WW in a practical armor, wouldn't a practical armor be her in her own mecha?

I love comics and I love them staying to the spandex with the rare exception (like Iron Man) and maybe a few armored up ones (like movie Batman can work in the comics) but if we're going to go realistic...WW isn't bulletproof! :p Mecha her up!
    edited March 2015
    Honestly, and I'm going to be blunt and maybe a bit harsh, but that's too bad. Ban me if a rule has been broken (I don't frequent this board often enough anyways) but such conduct is standard fare as far as this board is concerned. In any case, I also found the idea that such a outfit is practical funny because most people who use it know little about what exactly counts as practical for an actual fight. At least Spinny was honest enough to say it turns him on. I can't **** on that and it doesn't evoke amorphous concepts grounded in often conflicting ideas.

I also found the outfit to be ugly so people thinking this outfit was good was amusing to me.

The idea of practicality in comics is a weird one. People are willing to **** on one thing while excusing the other even though they fall under the same banner. It's one thing to say you like the outfit. Fine. It's another to call it practical and then **** on part of the outfit that actually has a use while excusing parts of the outfit that are not practical.

What's wrong with the baraka blades she is sporting then? Unless you think those look good. Those are not new to comics and serve a purpose as far as comic book outfits go and thus can be seen as practical, so should we defend that as well? To excuse one and not the other doesn't make sense. Its almost hypocritical. Even commenting on practicality, they have a use in combat so they pass that test as well whereas the thigh-high boots only mean something if she is going wading in high water, which is silly for someone who can fly.

The thigh high boots look silly, just like the baraka blades look silly. The belt (yes I was referring to the belt) looks silly and can't be comfortable (think of a giant belt buckle), the thigh high boots can't be comfortable as well and look silly, and the 90s aesthetic refers to the overall look including the baraka blades (that screams 90s). The extra parts and so on add to that as well. Again, all it is missing is a jacket and pouches to complete the look.

Compared to what Wonder Woman previously wore, it's very practical.

48Xntme.jpg

Judging from your comments about "comfort", though, I'm gathering you're not overly familiar with armor....

Does this look like it was comfortable?

roman-armor-3.jpg

acf1f46cfe64e2de4e9006a50747ebc6.jpg

What about this?

328195_armored%20MRAP.jpg
    edited March 2015
    That's relative as hell.

Then why are you arguing the point at all? You seem to be arguing for your right to ridicule people for having a different opinion. I mean sure, go for it... but consider what you're arguing for.

The fact that you're even mentioning the idea that you might be moderated for what you're saying shows that you at least in some way realize how you're coming off.
    edited March 2015
    snip

Well first off, I think you took way too much offense to what I was asking. I just honestly didn't think you were the type of person that ridiculed people for having a differing opinion.

I asked you how this outfit was "silly-looking." You think thigh-high boots are silly. Okay, your opinion, fine. I don't think it warranted the snarky GIF and talking down to everyone who likes it. It's like telling someone they're silly-looking for wearing a blue shirt because your favorite color happens to be seafoam green.

But, if you're going to poo-poo the "practicality" of this costume, I'd imagine you're just not a big fan of typical superhero dress anyway. If I may, I'd like to know what you'd come up with as a "practical" costume.

Practical, for me, is a costume where a superhero has mobility, and isn't hindered by erroneous bits that are there to just look cool. Like gigantic shoulder pads that would only make sense if you had super strength, 30 knives strapped all over your body, helmets or headwear that restrict peripheral vision, a long, flowing robe, a two-bladed sword, stuff like that.

I have no problem with "skimpier" outfits, like Wonder Woman's original, at all. I don't find them less "practical" just because they show some skin.

Also, since you mentioned it, I think the bracer blades are impractical because a hand-held weapon, which has been the go-to for armed combatants for thousands of years, is more practical because you can set it down, you have wrist movement there, a lot more versatility. Imagine being in a battlefield and your shoe came untied. Still practical? What if you've got an itch on your chin? What if you have to use the bathroom real bad? What if you're trying to open a door by using a doorknob? What if your buddy is bleeding out and you have to bandage him up quickly? What if you need to defuse a bomb? What if you have to carry a child to safety?

Superheroes aren't in heated battle 100% of the time. Having a weapon like this doesn't seem practical, unless it can retract like ol' sniketty snoo.

However, the blade thing, to me personally, is distasteful because a dude knee-deep in blades has always come off to me as just trying to be a badass, a guy who doesn't care if he murders a guy for trying to rob a liquor store. This is why I don't like Wolverine and Deadpool and the like (but note that I'll give my opinion on those characters without laughing at you for liking them).

You mention the thigh-high boots "can't be comfortable." Have you worn thigh-high boots before? Were they made to be walked in or made to look good? Did they have stiletto heels or comfortable soles and insoles? Or do you just think they're silly because you've made up your mind that shoes that ride up past the knees can't be comfortable to anyone?

Honestly, if those "metal" parts on her really are metal, I find the most "impractical" part of it to be the chest plate, since it would maybe restrict forward-back shoulder movement, but I'd imagine a lot less than a platemail breastplate. Still, it wouldn't be the first time that a nonmetal material looked like metal in comics. But the belt doesn't seem to be affecting any area of mobility.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited March 2015
    FYI, the "belt" is called a tasset.
    edited March 2015
    So wait a minute, on a board where people commonly snip at each other or make snarky comments, the minute I post a gif, people lose their **** and cry about the tone of posts and so on? Really?

lol okay. :rolleyes:

My comments in red.
    Then why are you arguing the point at all? You seem to be arguing for your right to ridicule people for having a different opinion. I mean sure, go for it... but consider what you're arguing for.

I've done nothing that other people have not done on this board in other threads. I found it funny and silly that people thought this was a practical costume or that it was good. This type of thing is commonplace on these boards and if anything my comments were tame and less than serious. This is probably the first time I've seen people toss a fit over something like this though. Maybe gifs trigger people.

The fact that you're even mentioning the idea that you might be moderated for what you're saying shows that you at least in some way realize how you're coming off.

No, I only mentioned moderation because a mod was talking to me and pretty much indicated he took issue with the manner I was acting. He outright states he has an issue with it. If I didn't think he could ban people, I would not comment on that. I personally don't think I was acting out of order but if he wants to go for a ban, he's free to do so. It's not my board. That said, again given how people are on this board, some people calling each other bigots or trolls or worse, some people being far more abusive than others without rebuke or outcry, I saw no issue in my post and still don't. It was very tame and for crying out loud, it's a silly gif. Kojiro's first post (and the second one too) was the level of reaction I was expecting so no, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings either. It's an easily dismissed post. I still don't understand. Maybe I should have added a trigger warning?
    FYI, the "belt" is called a tasset.
    Indeed, though Wondy's is very modified.

Compared to what Wonder Woman previously wore, it's very practical.

That first picture is not comparable to Wondy's original costume. I mean really. I did not like either but did not have issue with it.

Judging from your comments about "comfort", though, I'm gathering you're not overly familiar with armor....

Actually I am. But no one will believe I studied this stuff in school nor will they believe I used to own a forge because I am an enthusiast in regards to medieval armor. Nobody will believe I have a good understanding abut the human body borne out of years of schooling and dealing with such issues in my current job.

https://encouragementsthroughtheword.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/roman-armor-3.jpg

Yes, though the metal in truth would actually be a lot more tarnished and designed to take weather into account. That armor was designed for maximum mobility and comfort.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ac/f1/f4/acf1f46cfe64e2de4e9006a50747ebc6.jpg

It is actually. Mobility was the main issue. Discomfort came when it became too hot.

http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20131008/328195_armored%20MRAP.jpg

What about this?

Cumbersome but definitely has a level of comfort. It's only a hassle to sit in chairs. I was allowed to wear a set before. For some reason, the morgue where I did a rotation had a few. I still to this day don't know why. In any case, armor can be comfortable or provide a lot of mobility or both. In the end though, I just thought the outfit looked silly. I also thought calling it practical was silly since it not that practical and worrying about practicality in fiction is again, silly.

Well first off, I think you took way too much offense to what I was asking.

I didn't take offense. Why would you assume such?

I just honestly didn't think you were the type of person that ridiculed people for having a differing opinion.

Do your friends not laugh at some of things you say or some of the opinions you hold?
    "I thought that was a great movie"
    "What? *laugh* Come on now".

I honestly don't know why people here are so upset. Should I toss on some smileys, some winks, some hearts or something? I'm honestly confused but okay. I think the thing being missed here is that I have no maliciousness in my heart or anything.

I asked you how this outfit was "silly-looking." You think thigh-high boots are silly. Okay, your opinion, fine. I don't think it warranted the snarky GIF and talking down to everyone who likes it. It's like telling someone they're silly-looking for wearing a blue shirt because your favorite color happens to be seafoam green.

They're just gifs and no different than the level of snark people toss about here on a daily basis. You cannot be serious in thinking my gifs are somehow worse than the usual nonsense tossed about here. That said, my issue was with people praising it for being practical. It's not. And thus it is no surprise when someone chimes in and comments on those comments.

But, if you're going to poo-poo the "practicality" of this costume, I'd imagine you're just not a big fan of typical superhero dress anyway. If I may, I'd like to know what you'd come up with as a "practical" costume.

That was never the point. I don't mind impractical costumes. I do find it silly to call something not practical "practical". This is why my original comment about the costume focused on the appearance of it, and my other comment was about practicality. It was never a concern of mine, but when others commented on it, I commented on their views of practicality.

Practical, for me, is a costume where a superhero has mobility, and isn't hindered by erroneous bits that are there to just look cool. Like gigantic shoulder pads that would only make sense if you had super strength, 30 knives strapped all over your body, helmets or headwear that restrict peripheral vision, a long, flowing robe, a two-bladed sword, stuff like that.

That's fine. My definition is not entirely there but I can understand someone thinking like this. I'll still make fun of you for flaunting such an opinion about something I think differently about. Feel free to mock me back. It's no big deal. I won't kick you or anything.

I have no problem with "skimpier" outfits, like Wonder Woman's original, at all. I don't find them less "practical" just because they show some skin.

I agree.

Also, since you mentioned it, I think the bracer blades are impractical because a hand-held weapon, which has been the go-to for armed combatants for thousands of years, is more practical because you can set it down, you have wrist movement there, a lot more versatility.

I agree. Like I said before, I don't like them. But they are a hell of a lot more useful than a large, pointed belt that can restrict movement or thigh-high boots which are never comfortable. I can't imagine any kind of boot that is a normal boot and then turns into another material for comfort purposes. It doesn't make sense. The boots are unnecessary. That's not practical. But in any case, my issue with them is that they are ugly.

Imagine being in a battlefield and your shoe came untied. Still practical?

That won't happen with unlaced boots, like Wondy is fond of wearing. Certainly not thigh high boots. So not a very good example.

What if you've got an itch on your chin?

I can scratch my chin with my shoulder. With my arm as well. Is that not normal? :confused:

What if you have to use the bathroom real bad?

You can still do that.

What if you're trying to open a door by using a doorknob?

You can still do that too. Uncomfortable but doable.

What if your buddy is bleeding out and you have to bandage him up quickly?

Doable.

What if you need to defuse a bomb?

Doable as well.

What if you have to carry a child to safety?

That's very doable. Come on now.

Superheroes aren't in heated battle 100% of the time. Having a weapon like this doesn't seem practical, unless it can retract like ol' sniketty snoo.

I don't like the baraka blades either but someone could make an argument for them. In the end, they just look silly to me.

However, the blade thing, to me personally, is distasteful because a dude knee-deep in blades has always come off to me as just trying to be a badass, a guy who doesn't care if he murders a guy for trying to rob a liquor store. This is why I don't like Wolverine and Deadpool and the like (but note that I'll give my opinion on those characters without laughing at you for liking them).

But it's okay to mock someone for being optimistic about this game, right? This is what I'm talking about. I know it seems like I went on a tangent but this is the kind of thing I'm talking about (if you want me to name names or drudge up posts I have no problem doing that). Those people are called trolls, cheerleaders and insulted in many other colorful ways but nothing happens there. In general, people are fond of mocking others for this opinion or that or we disregard them and call them a troll or even worse, a bigot of some sort. All this tends to be fine and dandy. Laugh at the idea that some people find a terrible costume good and practical (the latter term I never liked or cared for when it comes to comics), then all hell breaks loose. This board is filled to the brim with snark but this is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Should I go around and show all the different posts that are worse than mine to prove this? Do you see why I'm confused now? I honestly feel like you guys are operating on a double-standard here (it's okay when this person does something but bad when that person does it or good for that topic and bad for that).

You mention the thigh-high boots "can't be comfortable." Have you worn thigh-high boots before?

Actually I have. Don't ask why. :tongue:

Were they made to be walked in or made to look good?

Yes they were.

Did they have stiletto heels or comfortable soles and insoles? Or do you just think they're silly because you've made up your mind that shoes that ride up past the knees can't be comfortable to anyone?

I've worn some and part of my opinion is colored from testimonials from others (mostly women), who have as well for one reason or another. Each one has said they suck and are not comfortable.

Honestly, if those "metal" parts on her really are metal, I find the most "impractical" part of it to be the chest plate, since it would maybe restrict forward-back shoulder movement, but I'd imagine a lot less than a platemail breastplate. Still, it wouldn't be the first time that a nonmetal material looked like metal in comics. But the belt doesn't seem to be affecting any area of mobility.

Nah, that would be greatly uncomfortable, unless it was bendable. Again though, I personally don't care about that. My original comment was that it looked silly. I then derided the idea that it was practical. Two separate issues.

TRIGGER WARNING: GIF INBOUND IN 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

1426375181614_zpsktuufwfz.gif

I can't help but laugh. I know I've used this word a lot but this whole huff seems rather silly. I mean people are free to offer up a rebuttal to any opinion expressed but assuming malice where there is none, well, again that's just silly. Some of y'all need to calm down.
    edited March 2015
    yep it was the laughing nazi .gif

Though your overreacting is as amusing as their overreacting...so don't worry about it.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the armour on the front page.
    meh, seems normal except for the wonky antenna things on the ears.

did they get bent or are they meant to be like that.
    Pikachu tail is what they remind me of.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited March 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    yep it was the laughing nazi .gif

Though your overreacting is as amusing as their overreacting...so don't worry about it.

come%20on%20now_zps8dlbwses.png

I'm not over-reacting though. I'm honestly truly stupefied and confused. Worse stuff goes down and it's no big deal but when a gif posted, some people some people start crying. I mean, what? If I was tearing into people I would understand but really now. :rolleyes:
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Those pointy bracers look stupid. Whatever happened to Wonder Woman's iconic bracelets, also considering that using those small pieces of wrist metal to deflect all manner of projectiles has always been the one thing that made her badass?

The whole argument of armor and outfit practicality...since when has Diana ever needed to rely on armor for protection? Doesn't she have superhuman resistance to bodily harm? The amount of punishment she can take would rival that of Superman. That being said, I do like the look of her new outfit, minus the long sharp thingies.

Armor would make more sense for Batman since he has no superpowers and relies on his gadgets to make up for it. That bluish one in the pic though looks ridiculous. What happened to the Dark Knight concept, and why does it look like he's some kind of mecha cop with those blue and red LEDs on his back?
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    Of course thigh-high boots can not be practical or comfortable.

Because they are originated in a XVI century military equipment.

Because people who were riding into a battle were deliberately picking a kind of boots that are not comfortable and useful.

Totally nobody would wear high boots in combat situation. Nobody. Never. Ever.

Reiter_gdanski_2.1.jpg

Though probably WW thigh-highs have mandatory high heels...

And wristblades are practically one idiotic trope.
    They were not used in reality for a reason.

You have no leverage with wrists strapped to your forearm. You don't wield a weapon. It has no support on your hand and will slide along with the entire bracer when it connects with target. You'd need a crossbar to wield it like a tonfa.

In which case you could just use a bladed tonfa anyway.

Wristblades are idiotic to the point when the don't even have any "cool factor". Always were.
    edited March 2015
    So wait a minute, on a board where people commonly snip at each other or make snarky comments, the minute I post a gif, people lose their **** and cry about the tone of posts and so on? Really?

lol okay. :rolleyes:

"What do you mean I can't run a red light? That guy did it!"

Nice line of reasoning, but no.

There are ways to say "I don't think this costume is practical" without tacking on "and anyone who thinks so is dumb".

Some people can't express their opinion without implying that anyone who thinks otherwise is inferior. Your life will be better if you're not one of those people. Of course, we can all see your forum avatar.
    edited March 2015
    Of course thigh-high boots can not be practical or comfortable.

Because they are originated in a XVI century military equipment.

Because people who were riding into a battle were deliberately picking a kind of boots that are not comfortable and useful.

Totally nobody would wear high boots in combat situation. Nobody. Never. Ever.

Reiter_gdanski_2.1.jpg

There's a reason why those boots fell out of fashion. And even then, they were used mostly by horseback infantrymen. Beyond that, they were used for other things since they provides little comfort unless it was the type that was actually knee-high in height and had the top extend above the knees.
    edited March 2015
    "What do you mean I can't run a red light? That guy did it!"

Nice line of reasoning, but no.

Goodness gracious. Way to miss the mark. Your analogy entails my "offense" is on par with another person's offense. Posting a gif of someone laughing is not on par with calling them a bigot, or a troll, or worse which occurs on this board. My point is: When worse **** goes down, none of you guys ever say anything but you're making a huff about this. I'm curious as to how you explain this hypocrisy. I know you guys see those comments because you often comment on them but you let them slide as opposed to calling out people on that. Why now? I really want to know. The funny part is, seeing people be mean without reprisal or anything and sometimes the person being mean being defended made me think such was the order of the day. Tell me that people are not mean without reprisal on here and are sometimes supported- you'd know that's a lie to say otherwise. :rolleyes:

There are ways to say "I don't think this costume is practical" without tacking on "and anyone who thinks so is dumb".

1. You're offended. So what? :confused:

2. "I think people finding the costume practical is funny" hence the laughing gif. People tend to laugh when they find things funny.

3. I felt like this needed a third point.