test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In Case You Were Wondering...

kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
I don't care. :rolleyes:

That is, I don't care what powers or superstats you think my characters should or shouldn't have, especially if they weren't relevant to my character's concept. If it looks like a power or ability my character would be capable of, I pick it. I'm not a min/maxer. I don't give a **** about manipulating a bunch of ****ing numbers. I'm just here to play the game and explore my character concepts, so the next time you have the urge to lecture about what does what, just remember...

I.

DON'T.

CARE!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Have you gotten such lectures? Nobody asks me what powers Captain Bananahammock or Undead Abraham Lincoln is using...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Have you gotten such lectures? Nobody asks me what powers Captain Bananahammock or Undead Abraham Lincoln is using...

Ironically enough, I got a semi-lecture yesterday from someone. Randomly whispered me out of the blue and started giving me build advice and then got a little butt hurt when I wouldn't take it. Apparently my reasoning of "It's more fun this way" didn't fly with him.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Have you gotten such lectures?

Just today right before a Mandragalore run. Frankly, I was a bit irked.
  • Options
    aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I applaud with a tinge of happiness.

The only "build advice" I ever got was during an alert. What did he say? "Cowboy wolf? You know there are lasso devices in the desert, if that's his thing." I wish I could find that guy and give him a firm handshake.
    Champions: @ace112233
  • Options
    menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A few light tips here and there but never a lecture or berating thankfully. Though i am curious as to why some look at another players build like its "their" own project.

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I remember one time in a channel discussion I mentioned why I liked a certain power and how it fit my toon's theme, even though I was aware that there's a better alternative available. A response I got was along the lines of "Well, enjoy gimping yourself". Yeah, real classy.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ....I will always maintain Eye Beams can be a good power, spammit!

It's been many moons since it was a bad power.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Always build the way you wanna build. :3
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jennymachx needed a response of their own:

I remember one time in a channel discussion I mentioned why I liked a certain power and how it fit my toon's theme, even though I was aware that there's a better alternative available. A response I got was along the lines of "Well, enjoy gimping yourself". Yeah, real classy.

"I shall. You enjoy attaching your self-esteem and e-penis size to a game about online virtual dolls." :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hey, Eye Beams make a good supplemental power for Hypernova, especially when he can line up the opposition (20/20 Fission). Burns through the mooks pretty good. Then he can bash the boss with his superhuman strength.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    sterga goes with a single phrase:

You care enough to post this. Otherwise, you would have simply thrown that person on ignore and moved along.

He doesn't care about this person's opinion, as he states clearly. He probably does very much care about someone popping off uninvited about their build, as would I.

Or are we unclear on the concept of "cathartic vent"?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I said nothing about venting in my post. There is no shame in caring about what people say about you or venting about what someone said that bothered you. True apathy would mean a person critcizing something you created was not even worth thinking about let alone posting about. But most of us are human and do care. Unless OP wants to admit they are a robot trying to appear human.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I had omeone read the name : Major Skanke and ask what powers they had.

I started by explaining that the character had long blonde hair, tight shorts, a jacket with nothing on under it and knee high boots.

OH

and Major is a male

ER I suppose that could work.

He's a night avenger and boy am I glad for the stealth when he's running. The view is not good.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2015
    sterga delves deep:

I said nothing about venting in my post. There is no shame in caring about what people say about you or venting about what someone said that bothered you. True apathy would mean a person critcizing something you created was not even worth thinking about let alone posting about. But most of us are human and do care. Unless OP wants to admit they are a robot trying to appear human.

So you're complaining that he's not using the phrase in an absolutist, dictionary definition, despite him detailing WHAT he didn't care about? Seems more like nit-picking someone's wording despite there being no lack of clairty than anything else.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    also, last person who tried to give me build advice after I said I was building this way for a reason.

I referred them to the altaholics thread and told them which 2 entries were mine.
    I pointed out that I have had a bit of practice.

Yes, they may not be min/maxed but they are what I am making for a reason(ok, in some cases for a particularly bad pun but it's a reason).

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Heh, I always tell people..."I do everything I do for a reason. Sometimes the reason is kind of stupid, but at least there's a reason!" :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Starting to notice a trend. The named characters who've never gotten build advice? Major Skanke, Captain Bananahammock, Undead Abraham Lincoln...

Maybe the secret is just to give your character a really outre name, so people are reluctant to even acknowledge you, much less tell you what to do! :smile:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    So you're complaining that he's not using the phrase in an absolutist, dictionary definition, despite him detailing WHAT he didn't care about? Seems more like nit-picking someone's wording despite there being no lack of clairty than anything else.

I was pointing out that OP cared enough to post, so there is some care happening. Which apparently is offensive to point out. It wasn't a complaint. I know that claiming "I don't care" is the cool thing to do, but very rarely is the case.
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I make builds, and am told they're good and popular.

I offer advice on threads asking for it.

Other than that, your build is your business.

Even when they fill a valuable spot in a rampage by saying, "Sure I can tank Frosty". And then it turns out they can't even hold aggro on an overly-friendly wet dog?

Generally I agree, but there are situations in which you'd better be able to deliver on what you say your build can do.

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Heh. Nobody's asked me about it (except occasionally in a "Woah, what power is that?" sort of way), but I've got one character that is... decidedly underpowered, because I insisted on building her with Fury of the Dragon and heavy weapons attacks.

I mean, okay, the build works well enough (I did manage to get her through Andrithal solo, and she can off-tank Frosty just fine), but it could be so much better with Haymaker instead of Annihilate, and Unleashed Rage instead of Fury of the Dragon... which is why I've got a second copy of the same character that uses the mechanically superior build. (Well... that, and enrage with giant growth. If you could put giant growth on Form of the Tiger, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the second version at all.)

Aside: while tanking Frosty is somewhat difficult, off-tanking him is surprisingly easy: you just need enough DPS to stay second on threat, a fully-ranked block of any sort, and masterful dodge in case of ice cages. I strongly suspect that this is how the devs meant the fight to work, with multiple tanks trading off threat and then blocking when they get aggro; with a block up, Frosty's absurd damage output becomes surprisingly manageable. Even if you're running in melee DPS role with an offensive passive.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sterga wrote: »
    I was pointing out that OP cared enough to post, so there is some care happening. Which apparently is offensive to point out. It wasn't a complaint. I know that claiming "I don't care" is the cool thing to do, but very rarely is the case.

The OP doesn't care about unsolicited build advice.

The OP did find such comments annoying, and cared about that.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Even when they fill a valuable spot in a rampage by saying, "Sure I can tank Frosty". And then it turns out they can't even hold aggro on an overly-friendly wet dog?

Generally I agree, but there are situations in which you'd better be able to deliver on what you say your build can do.

Yes, even then. People are allowed to make mistakes: especially in video games where those mistakes have no consequences. And no, "Erg I lost de fight in teh game!" is not a consequence worth mentioning (especially because in this case, it wouldn't have lasted but a few seconds anyway).
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Okay we get it, Sterga wants to point something out, roughbear doesn't think it should be pointed out. s( u 3 u )z
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    actually, Roughbear clarified, what they are annoyed about and what they don't care about.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    actually, Roughbear clarified, what they are annoyed about and what they don't care about.

All right, we get it. s( u 3 u )z Kojiro doesn't care, why do you and ruffber?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    He doesn't care about this person's opinion, as he states clearly. He probably does very much care about someone popping off uninvited about their build, as would I.

Or are we unclear on the concept of "cathartic vent"?

Precisely. I don't give a **** about whatever powers they think I should have. It doesn't matter to me. I don't care. My characters are my own and I'll build them the way I want.

What I do find annoying is the fact they were even saying anything about it. OMG just shut up and PLAY!

Also, don't call me "he."

Obnoxiousness annoys me, and unsolicited build advice is obnoxious.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »

I care, because if people don't keep threads like this afloat, then what will Spinnytop care about?

[|:*)

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I generally don't offer build advice or suggestions unless someone either asks for it specifically or is speaking of game mechanics, synergies, etc in such a way as to indicate that they are open to discussion on the matter.

...or in forum threads dedicated to the subject.

Beyond those, the closest I might get to offering unsolicited build advice is if someone is genuinely upset over their character's performance. Then I might ask, "are you interested in discussing your build?"

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I care, because if people don't keep threads like this afloat, then what will Spinnytop care about?

[|:*)

Why nobody else on my team has started building their part of the level yet. It's seriously starting to annoy me. One more day and it's lecture time.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    sterga 'splains:

I was pointing out that OP cared enough to post, so there is some care happening. Which apparently is offensive to point out.

Not offensive, really. Just pointless and incorrect, since you dragged that phrase out of its context and applied an absolutist definition.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    kojirohellfire waggles a deserved finger:

Also, don't call me "he."

Noted. Sorry, force of habit.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop doesn't even MENTION me??? :eek::

Because that particular "argument" has annoyed me for years. It's nonsense. "Caring enough to post means you do care" is idiotic literalism. It's a game message board, no one's giving a deposition here.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Because that particular "argument" has annoyed me for years. It's nonsense. "Caring enough to post means you do care" is idiotic literalism. It's a game message board, no one's giving a deposition here.

Sure is a lot of commotion for something nobody cares about u3u is it because you all care about not caring about the thing?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I care deeply about not caring about caring about not caring!!!

That or I have a boring job in the middle of the night. :wink:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I care deeply about not caring about caring about not caring!!!

That or I have a boring job in the middle of the night. :wink:

swap you. I have a boring job in the day.

amusement for today, was delivery address(company does windows and doors for houses)

Proposed extension :Brain
    (street name)
    (suburb)
    I thought it was a typo of Brian. Checked the order. Nope family name.

Lost it when I saw the builders contact : Igor

That was the total amount of interesting things today at work.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    chaelk will get nowhere:

swap you. I have a boring job in the day.

The DAY???? Leave my house while there's a dangerous, gigantic ball of fire in the sky???? :eek:

I think NOT.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure is a lot of commotion for something nobody cares about u3u is it because you all care about not caring about the thing?

She doesnt care what people think what powers and stats she should use. She's miffed at people that come up to her and tell her what to use. Theres a difference and to be fair theres a large bunch of PvErs that are almost as bad as the PvPers ( sorry guys :D ) when it comes to being build Nazis.

She has a point. There is a "loli schoolgirl" that goes around banging on about trinity gameplay and all that bollocks U__U
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    post-24403-frankly-my-dear-I-dont-give-a-RZx1.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    She doesnt care what people think what powers and stats she should use. She's miffed at people that come up to her and tell her what to use. Theres a difference

Exactly. I don't see why that's so hard to grasp.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Exactly. I don't see why that's so hard to grasp.

That part isn't. In fact it makes perfect sense... why would you care what other people think about your build?

That's why the part that is odd is why you made a big dramatic thread about it. It's like someone making a thread where they passionately state "I EAT BREAKFAST, DEAL WITH IT!".

I mean sure, you have a right to make a thread just as much as anyone else... but then we can also respond with confusion as to why you would bother.

nepht wrote: »
    She doesnt care what people think what powers and stats she should use. She's miffed at people that come up to her and tell her what to use. Theres a difference and to be fair theres a large bunch of PvErs that are almost as bad as the PvPers ( sorry guys :D ) when it comes to being build Nazis.

She has a point. There is a "loli schoolgirl" that goes around banging on about trinity gameplay and all that bollocks U__U

PVPers care what build you use even less than Kojiro though...they'll happily give advice if you ask, but if you want to waltz into their cross-hairs with the flimsiest build known on earth they'll have no complaints... in fact I get the feeling most of them get a big Cheshire Cat grin when they see something like that coming on the horizon. "Almost as bad as PVPers"? That's completely backwards... the only people who will pitch a fit about your build are pvers who just failed a pve.

If a "loli schoolgirl" starts lecturing you about not being trinity enough, or being too trinity, or making a character based off of the character Trinity from The Matrix, then just don't respond... or respond with "Who in the great blue balls of Balzador are you???" ...or start posting ERP, that usually gets people to wander off.

Don't come to the forums and yell at everyone.. we didn't do it u3u
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    That part isn't. In fact it makes perfect sense... why would you care what other people think about your build?

That's why the part that is odd is why you made a big dramatic thread about it. It's like someone making a thread where they passionately state "I EAT BREAKFAST, DEAL WITH IT!".

I mean sure, you have a right to make a thread just as much as anyone else... but then we can also respond with confusion as to why you would bother.

[...]

Don't come to the forums and yell at everyone.. we didn't do it u3u

Actually, the person who deigned to give me their unsolicited advice is a forumer.