test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costume previews in News articles

zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
There's various valid concerns about the price increase and many other related concerns about various bugs with costume pieces. My question is, what's up with recent promos? They're supposed to advertise the costumes but they're using default colors + red and it's really not flattering at all. The news article for the Scoundrel's Lockbox probably stands out the most since the actual lockbox preview is appealing while the larger promo image is not.
"Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
Post edited by zamuelpwe on

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can agree with that. Costume previews have never been very flattering due to the color selections.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I can agree with that. Costume previews have never been very flattering due to the color selections.
    Take the image for the Scientist costume as an example. That flat blue, with red stains? Bland and ugly, put me off the idea. Then I went on PTS to test the upcoming Gold rewards, and while I was in the Tailor I threw on the Victorian Scientist jacket just to take a look. Now, I was using a black/white color scheme at the time, for reasons, and with the jacket in black with white buttons and white stains? Looks pretty good, made me think about my decision some more.

Maybe y'all ought to run the costume through some random color selections for a while, and see if you can find something that looks nicer than the default colors you're using.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You know I was going to post something similar - but was afraid that it was just me.

Those default 'red/blue' color choices do not do any of the new sets any favors. It's just plain ugly. Which makes me worry that we don't even have a PR or Community person looking at those announcement photos before they go out.

Please put some effort into advertising new costume sets - nobody is going to buy a set that's not featured to look it's best.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • acrosscatacrosscat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    At least we moved on to one of the colours being changed.

The initial Scoundrel release news was literally the same bog-standard blue/yellow/white/white channels being used.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For reals now, the Colour choice in those Blogs are Bother Lazy, Unattractive and Horrible

I also hate that they are using the Default AT costumes for the Gold Members Monthly pieces
    the same goes with the Aura previews

a5d04e0366ae92ff857eddf2cf5993681423788967.jpg
    cf06a6441eac25542febb5e8515589dd1423790409.jpg
    263fa45b836809d1955f554871c9e2d61418681612.jpg

Cryptic, if you want to make better impression and SELL those you better put some effort in those Blog Pictures, get someone who is not Colour Blind and can gives a nice Colour Combination to those costumes for better Judgement

OR EVEN BETTER! get someone from the Players Base who is Good with Costumes to Colour them for you
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited February 2015
    avianos wrote: »
    Cryptic, if you want to make better impression and SELL those you better put some effort in those Blog Pictures, get someone who is not Colour Blind and can gives a nice Colour Combination to those costumes for better Judgement

OR EVEN BETTER! get someone from the Players Base who is Good with Costumes to Colour them for you

I don't believe it's an issue of effort. Their thinking is most likely that these colors provide high contrast to the various aspects of the costumes and that they think that's more important than making them look good.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I don't believe it's an issue of effort. Their thinking is most likely that these colors provide high contrast to the various aspects of the costumes and that they think that's more important than making them look good.

This would be a laudable goal IF they handled it better. Doing a tailor screenshot of the base colors then after that doing some images of the costume in better colors would be good for showing how the base could be used. They shouldn't be doing that as the main promo and they need to have more than just one promo image.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    edited February 2015
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    This would be a laudable goal IF they handled it better. Doing a tailor screenshot of the base colors then after that doing some images of the costume in better colors would be good for showing how the base could be used. They shouldn't be doing that as the main promo and they need to have more than just one promo image.

I'm not defending the decision.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Take the image for the Scientist costume as an example. That flat blue, with red stains? Bland and ugly, put me off the idea.

It looked like she had been playing around with a paint set quite honestly. I understand the function but more examples of the outfits would be better.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was just passing by and saw the new gold reward: The glass slippers.

Okay, fine, whatever. They are free and I would probably never have them on any of my characters, *BUT*...

If they are going to have something in the game and say it's for male and female toons, then maybe instead of having 6 different shots of females wearing the item they might consider finding room to put in one image of a male toon wearing said item.

If I played a male toon, was a non-sub, and this glass slipper might be the thing that pushes me to spend some money on a sub to unlock the costume, then why not show me the piece?

I mean, if it looks decent then it would only help, right?

At least one of the full-body images should be male, and one of the close-ups should show a male foot as well.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I tried them on a male toon, on PTS.

There's a good reason why the only image of the glass shoe is on a female toon. It's not a good look for a guy.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • acrosscatacrosscat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I tried them on a male toon, on PTS.

There's a good reason why the only image of the glass shoe is on a female toon. It's not a good look for a guy.

I dunno. It offers a bare foot that stands on the balls of the feet when you use holo or psi texture mapping and a totally black primary colour channel. A neat addition.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have said for a while that they need to tap some of us better costumers and have us set up the preview costume. No offense to cryptic devs, but they're infamous for having TERRIBLE taste in costumes. TT possibly aside, since I'm personally a fan of Iris' look.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    acrosscat wrote: »
    I dunno. It offers a bare foot that stands on the balls of the feet when you use holo or psi texture mapping and a totally black primary colour channel. A neat addition.

It does make this kinda interesting for someone using superspeed or acrobatics.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited March 2015
    acrosscat wrote: »

The hottest new tech for someone trying to hide the fact that they're cross-dressing? How meta.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know it's not a costume preview, but this image

it's from the St. Patrick's Questionite Boost! Blog
    d5226dc279149d9072bb681fa9c6255d1425940502.jpg

Someone please explain to me WTF is this Being supposed to be? and HOW is it related to St. Patrick with Neon Green and Yellow?

Collar, Metalic Torso, random Urban Anime Folded jacket WTF? it's freaking Ugly to look at

I would make a character dressed like a Leprechaun with New Shadows costume pieces for this Blog, not this! It looks like the creator just hit the RANDOM Button
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • yvonnedyvonned Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If only there was a way to send costume files (only) to the devs for them to use in their ads...
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yvonned wrote: »
    If only there was a way to send costume files (only) to the devs for them to use in their ads...

There is if you have a desktop icon for Champions and go through the open file location. There ends up being an area where you can grab saved costumes. I do not have home computer in front of me so I cannot give the exact steps right now.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • yvonnedyvonned Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bwdares wrote: »
    There is if you have a desktop icon for Champions and go through the open file location. There ends up being an area where you can grab saved costumes. I do not have home computer in front of me so I cannot give the exact steps right now.

I know where the costume files are stored on my computer. The issue is sending them to the Devs or even TT for use in their ads.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    avianos wrote: »

I volunteer! :biggrin:
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.