test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Troll-immunity items (STO DOES have them)

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Suggestions Box
STO has an item that makes you immune to the disco ball.

I want that here, and one that makes you immune to draysha, water balloons, and other animation-imposing effects.

What would be best, however, would be one that fully locks your character's position (like a magnitude 100 root/KB resistance, but not usable in combat).

Those items combined with a judicious use of /ignore would deprive trolls of most of their ammo... not that Cryptic cares about addressing the problems with trolls or even making money out of CO, but I thought I might as well pitch the idea.

(next thing we know, see Cryptic take this idea and put it in a lockbox with a 1% drop chance like Socrates' pants, just to troll us further).
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If the intent of immovability is to prevent being moved by things like summons and size changes, I doubt that your proposal would work; that's probably some basic collision physics that can't easily be overridden.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If I am going to have a particular long session at the tailor, I go to my hideout, or I go to a changing room in the store in the Power House.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    Look at it that way, Cryptic:

This could give you some Zen.

Either with a direct purchase, or with Questionite. :biggrin:
  • axenomeaxenome Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Personally, I'd be happy with a device that turns off collision. Then the travel power trolls that move you all over the floor as you try to type would really BE on ignore when you put them there after they wear out their welcome.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That one sentence could have been ended much earlier:

"You can't stop trolls."

If someone's determined to poke your buttons, they're going to do it. The devices in STO keep you from being affected by silly things like dance balls; they don't "prevent collision", because that would require fundamental changes to game code, and that's not going to happen. Similarly, if they made those devices for CO, you couldn't be forced to dance against your will, but if someone stands next to you and activates a Giant Growth device, you're going to move, because a) that's how the game code works (and we all know how well it works out when the code is changed, don't we?), and b) the alternative would be worse - suddenly you're standing inside somebody's foot.

This being said, I do wonder what some of y'all are doing to piss people off. I mean, I've been playing this game since about the day it went F2P, and Kirby knows there's folks I've annoyed over the years, usually inadvertently - yet I've never gotten anyone trying that bloody hard to troll me. Shoved halfway across RenCen during a Tailor session? Really? That's a lot of dedicated effort there - nobody cares that much about me in game, to expend so much work just to annoy me.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Buying something that denies players from using mistletoe, balloons, snow balls, ping pong guns, and disco balls on you is denying players who buy those things to be used on you.

Creating something like this counters the profit margin of items in the store.

There are better QoL things the devs should be working on over something like this.
    edited February 2015
    axenome wrote: »
    Personally, I'd be happy with a device that turns off collision.
    Causes other problems, such as people standing inside other people. However, turning off collision at the tailor (and maybe vendors; having some random NPC come and bump me out of range of a store is just completely random annoyance, it's not even trolling) seems like a good idea.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    This being said, I do wonder what some of y'all are doing to piss people off. I mean, I've been playing this game since about the day it went F2P, and Kirby knows there's folks I've annoyed over the years, usually inadvertently - yet I've never gotten anyone trying that bloody hard to troll me. Shoved halfway across RenCen during a Tailor session? Really? That's a lot of dedicated effort there - nobody cares that much about me in game, to expend so much work just to annoy me.

And everyone acts like they hate the bagoo out of me.. and yet I've never been trolled either.

THAT SAID... some trolls are random and will just randomly start trolling people randomly even if the target did absolutely nothing to start the process. Generally, they will only keep trolling if the target responds in some way..... some trolls are super random though and will keep trolling even without any sort of reaction. I imagine there has been a point where someone trolled another player who was afk for like an hour straight or something, and just kept doing it out of sheer boredom...or determination... or some sort of self delusion.

THAT SAID AGAIN... I'm more on the "just don't let it bother you" side.... but I'm EVEN MORE on the "exploit the people who are really sensitive to this to make some money" side.

So basically, I support this idea.... but the reason that I support it, and the way I'm supporting it, is likely to make many of the other people who support it very upset with me. They may in fact even call me a troll... but no matter how much hate they throw at me, I will continue to support the idea (because it can make Cryptic some money).

gradii wrote: »
    Yeah we've heard that before, and it doesn't change the simple fact that
    People should NOT be allowed to even ATTEMPT to destroy the game experience of other players. This is INTENTIONAL behavior and something MUST be done.

I remind you to read the terms of service where it clearly states this is against the rules.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that it's not that clear. It's like if I hand you a box of water balloons and say "We're having an event where I am giving you these water balloons that you can throw at people". Like... can it then be against the rules for you to throw them at people, just because the people they're being thrown at say they don't like it? I can't both enable you and then punish you for doing the thing I enabled you to do.

It'd be like walking onto a basketball court during an active game, and then complaining that someone threw the ball to you. And yes, the entire volume of the game's content is considered the playing field. When you log in, you step onto the court.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    riverocean wrote: »
    I agree with Corgi. Your video game avatar.. isn't really you. You are safe at home in front of your computer. I honestly don't get bothered much in game. I keep to myself, and team with people I know and trust.

Yes, annoying disco ball spam or super giant characters (or vehicles) in places like the Tailor or Auction House, can be damned irritating. But I can go to my hideout with one click. Now I have my own private tailor that I don't need to share with anyone.

Also, the VIP lounge (for long time subscribes) has access to a bank and AH. There's hardly ever anyone there. Other options include going to a less crowded zone to get things done.

While a device to stop your character from being influenced by others, is nice. In all likelihood it's not going to happen. So why not just learn to control your emotions a little, and use the existing options to deal with trolls.

Your real weapon against trolls, is not to let them win. And the game has features we can use to do that already.
    Ok, so this is a pretty solid start to what I'd write in all honesty, especially considering this is in the suggestions forum in the 1st place.

But, to add more to this thread, I will say one additional thing. For all of you people having issues with nimrods at the tailor...stop using the tailor to make costumes. The tailor is, IMO, best used for uploading already completed costumes to the applicable toons. The CREATOR is where you should actually be making costumes and here's some reasons why...

-It runs smoother.
    -It's been my experiences that you're less likely to be SNR/DCed from the Creator than actually being ingame using the tailor.
    -There is no automatic logout timer for the Creator.
    -In the Creator if you use the toon name space you can actually name your costume save files which makes them ever so much easier to sort.
    -The Creator's lighting is not subject to things like "Cave Orange" or "Canada Bright" issues.
    -Other players cannot prematurely end your Creator Session.
    -Creator Use cuts your Tailor Time down to like 1-4 minutes since you're just uploading the already made costume(YMMV depending on how many costume files you have, which tailor you use, connection speeds, and other blah blah blah).

Now there is a cost to the glorious wonderment of the Creator. You need 1 unused toon slot. You're basically "pretending" to make a new toon...and just never hitting the finalize button to go into the Tutorial/Powerhouse. Now if you can clear up/buy/unlock a free toon slot then I would highly recommend doing so because...it's just so worth it.

As for the CO vs. STO bit....STO has this item, and I think it's dumb there actually so I don't have one(Doesn't it cost GPL which is basically STO's Drifter Salvage anyways?), but STO copied the CO Party Ball pretty much verbatim with one major difference....you cannot simply nudge your toon to stop dancing in STO. If my memory serves the only ways to stop the dancing is to die(killme in STO does not work BTW), zone, relog, or wait out the full duration. So it's much much much worse in STO than it is in CO.

As for the "Trolls" that "Grief" players on a regular basis and can be the cause of some of these issues, I've said it before and I'll say it again, STO/NW have INTANGIBLE NPCs and it's about time CO got them too. In my experiences I find way more annoyance from stupid civilians than I do any nimrod trying to play,"look at me look at me look at me...aren't I edgy and unique?!?!? HUH?!?!?" Also, when I encounter these nimrods I either ignore them, mock them for my own personal amusement, and/or just report them and hope someday CO gets a CS/GM Department to shove them out of an airlock. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    As for the CO vs. STO bit....STO has this item, and I think it's dumb there actually so I don't have one(Doesn't it cost GPL which is basically STO's Drifter Salvage anyways?)

No, GPL (Gold Pressed Latnium) is not the drifter salvage of STO. That would be LOBI crystals.
    GPL is a seperate resource.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    Ok, so this is a pretty solid start to what I'd write in all honesty, especially considering this is in the suggestions forum in the 1st place.

But, to add more to this thread, I will say one additional thing. For all of you people having issues with nimrods at the tailor...stop using the tailor to make costumes. The tailor is, IMO, best used for uploading already completed costumes to the applicable toons. The CREATOR is where you should actually be making costumes and here's some reasons why...

-It runs smoother.
    -It's been my experiences that you're less likely to be SNR/DCed from the Creator than actually being ingame using the tailor.
    -There is no automatic logout timer for the Creator.
    -In the Creator if you use the toon name space you can actually name your costume save files which makes them ever so much easier to sort.
    -The Creator's lighting is not subject to things like "Cave Orange" or "Canada Bright" issues.
    -Other players cannot prematurely end your Creator Session.
    -Creator Use cuts your Tailor Time down to like 1-4 minutes since you're just uploading the already made costume(YMMV depending on how many costume files you have, which tailor you use, connection speeds, and other blah blah blah).

Now there is a cost to the glorious wonderment of the Creator. You need 1 unused toon slot. You're basically "pretending" to make a new toon...and just never hitting the finalize button to go into the Tutorial/Powerhouse. Now if you can clear up/buy/unlock a free toon slot then I would highly recommend doing so because...it's just so worth it.

As for the CO vs. STO bit....STO has this item, and I think it's dumb there actually so I don't have one(Doesn't it cost GPL which is basically STO's Drifter Salvage anyways?), but STO copied the CO Party Ball pretty much verbatim with one major difference....you cannot simply nudge your toon to stop dancing in STO. If my memory serves the only ways to stop the dancing is to die(killme in STO does not work BTW), zone, relog, or wait out the full duration. So it's much much much worse in STO than it is in CO.

As for the "Trolls" that "Grief" players on a regular basis and can be the cause of some of these issues, I've said it before and I'll say it again, STO/NW have INTANGIBLE NPCs and it's about time CO got them too. In my experiences I find way more annoyance from stupid civilians than I do any nimrod trying to play,"look at me look at me look at me...aren't I edgy and unique?!?!? HUH?!?!?" Also, when I encounter these nimrods I either ignore them, mock them for my own personal amusement, and/or just report them and hope someday CO gets a CS/GM Department to shove them out of an airlock. :cool:

I'm not sure if the creator works like you say it does. I've had disconnects while making a new toon, losing all my progress. Okay, you're not in an instance so nobody can grief you but you jight as well just use a hideout tailor then.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Guys take Corgi's advice and ignore. I mean ignore himself since we can on the forums if you all remember how to.

On topic, the main trolling thing I cannot stand is being pushed by teleporting abilities and the Kryptos summon item from the VBA missions. If they can lock out the Kryptos item outside the VBA zone that would be the greatest achievement we could have to start with against these trolls.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly, when it comes to effects imposed by OTHER PLAYERS, it should be a standard game setting to auto-ignore/prompt/auto-accept.
    edited February 2015
    Honestly, when it comes to effects imposed by OTHER PLAYERS, it should be a standard game setting to auto-ignore/prompt/auto-accept.

"Will you accept this player's water balloon being thrown at you?"

Hey, if you can feel like a mature adult with that on your screen, all you. Just as long as they charge you for it.
  • shadowruin8shadowruin8 Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't usually post on the forums, but I felt like i should say something since I have been trolled before for a length of time. Whether it be insult, balloons or whatever. This is just me personally, but whenever someone bothers me and it gets to me, I just log off for an hour or 2 and go watch TV or play console games, etc. Then once I calm down, I log back on and go about my day.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Soulforger: OK, got my currency wires crossed there.
    I'm not sure if the creator works like you say it does. I've had disconnects while making a new toon, losing all my progress. Okay, you're not in an instance so nobody can grief you but you jight as well just use a hideout tailor then.

Round 2:
    Crosschan wrote:
    People against this idea either seriously do not understand trolling in general, or are trolls themselves, only way to rationally explain why someone would want to deny players a reprieve from intentional harassment.

Honestly, please stop making this post. Just....stop. In this context I do not think "rationally" means what you think it does so much as it means "If you disagree with me then I will either say you're not smart enough to understand my points or I will label you a TROLL which means I can more easily dismiss your viewpoints and therefore more easily crown myself king of the internets." Yeah, please stop.

See, I understand how trolling works(which isn't hard really), I am not a troll myself, and yet I still disagree with you on this one. How could this be possible? Does it throw the universe out of wack? Am I some kind of special snowflake who has developed this amazing superhuman ability? No, it's just pretty easy to understand, disagree, and not be the villain. It really and truly is that simple. So, again, please just stop with this particular line of argument. It's not going to work.

Also, since it's mentioned here and there in this thread I am not enabling the trolls by not agreeing with you in this thread. I do think the "thinking impaired" should be processed in the system with the proper weight of strikes until they get themselves banhammered into oblivion. Ontop of that, I also think a better banhammer system should be put in place(Which many many much older MMOs miraculously seem to be able to handle) which prevents them from coming back 10m later on another account. I've also seen, firsthand, the abilities of the GM/CS for CO and know this is not likely to happen. Gradii, as a prime example, was harassed by the same one person for how long before a rather lengthy forum thread with the support of multiple vets finally lead to all but forcing a GM to take some kind of action? Yeah, you are my best example for why alot of the anti-opinions in this thread and tips for how to ignore these nimrods hold weight. Sadly, in alot of these cases YOU will be the best line of defense from this kind of stuff regardless of whether trinkets and beads are added to the game or not. Also, I'm not going to sugar coat this or name names but I've seen some of the people in this very thread(more than one) be the victim of this kind of thing, myself included on rare occasion. I've also seen the full gambit of reactions from just ignoring them until they go away to going into complete losing it RAGEMODE and even resorting to using the same devices and tactics back at the person in some kind of REVENGE tactic. BTW, that second one.....the troll is beating you so badly....so so badly that you're not even feeding them anymore. You're a BUFFET.

So, in a nutshell, this is a Suggestion Thread. It's likely going nowhere. The issue itself is also likely going nowhere as well. So WE, the playerbase, must be our own best solution, until such time as we get things like a GM/CS Program, not by resorting to their own tactics but by just ignoring them until they realize we will not be the source of their own personal amusement and go away.

Raighn wrote:
    In what world can you remove a problem by simply ignoring it's presence? The answer,
    Video Games....or, in most cases, The Internet itself.
    <The rest of the previous paragraph and this lil bit> Lets take a look at a real life example:
    Ok, gonna stop ya right there. This is, nothing personal, the disconnect I don't see happening in your post which I feel I should be seeing. Now alot of your post is what I would consider some very good examples and suggestions....for the real world. That being said this is the exact reason I don't find it terribly relevant to this discussion at all. Now some video games actually do permit trolls to "break" the game through various tactics but CO isn't one of them. As for the idea that not making alot of noise and rage doesn't clue the trolls in to what they might be doing is wrong....really? If it's an actual troll then they're doing this BECAUSE they know it's wrong and to get that very reaction. If it's just some run of the mill nimrod well...they're stupid. How long do you suspect you have to wave your arms and scream before they become cured of being stupid? After this....I honestly feel your post turns into an Anti-Cyber Bullying thing which would be another solid post if it wasn't basically about water balloon fights in a super hero video game. I don't want to talk down to the suicidal, because they obviously do need help, but if you're considering ending your life over water balloon fights in a video game then PLEASE talk to someone about this(friend, parent, therapist, random person on the internet, ...SOMEONE).

Also, as for your proposed steps...I do see them working with one minor adjustment. I'd put the "trolls" third on the list below the Exploiters(which those teleporter-nimrods would fall under so there's part of your problem solved) and the "Illegal Child-Focused Elements" in the game. Once those two groups are Ban-Annihilated then we'll see how much of this issue is left. :wink:

Riverocean: I agree.
    Spinny: I laughed.
    I don't usually post on the forums, but I felt like i should say something since I have been trolled before for a length of time. Whether it be insult, balloons or whatever. This is just me personally, but whenever someone bothers me and it gets to me, I just log off for an hour or 2 and go watch TV or play console games, etc. Then once I calm down, I log back on and go about my day.
    Winner. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you feel like you have to spend money to make it stop you are admitting defeat...I wouldn't buy such an item, but I don't see why it shouldn't exsist as an option for people...

but think about it...these trolls are actually making you reach for your wallet. What more extreme reaction could they possibly hope for?
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    If you feel like you have to spend money to make it stop you are admitting defeat...I wouldn't buy such an item, but I don't see why it shouldn't exsist as an option for people...

but think about it...these trolls are actually making you reach for your wallet. What more extreme reaction could they possibly hope for?

I don't see how this is the case and it seems like a horribly subjective rule for such a thing. Another person could comment that noticing it in the first place is admitting defeat. It all seems silly to bother tossing about such labels and judgements. And why money? Such is the glory of expendable income. I can't fathom this kind of thing costing that much to begin with anyways.

And while I generally don't care if someone is using such devices here and there (I am quite guilty of this and never realized it actually annoyed people), people should have the option to opt out of such things if they want. If they want to pay up, then that's fine as well since it helps the game as well. It amazes me that anyone would be against such an idea, since unhappy people means less people playing this game means less income for the game, presumably.

What more extreme reaction could they possibly hope for?

I've had some guy come to my house to start **** because of some fuss on another game so there's always that. Fun times lol.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    fair enough... people showing up at your house is much worse.

I am not against this at all! I just would not spend money on it.(and if strangers started harassing me at home I would call the police!)
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    "Will you accept this player's water balloon being thrown at you?"

Hey, if you can feel like a mature adult with that on your screen, all you. Just as long as they charge you for it.

It's about empowering the end user. (Yes, admittedly, something Cryptic/PWE isn't real big on, but still.)

But, as riverocean said, Cryptic/PWE has enough problems just keeping the game going day to day. Actually expecting them to do something about this social issue is like finding a penny and then wishing it was a hundred dollar bill.
    edited February 2015

And I love the message that sends.

"Cryptic: If you don't want to get trolled, don't play our games."
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Actually their message is "Hey look we made these fun things for you to have fun with" and certain wet blankets responded with "GAH people are actually using them...ON ME! HOW DARE THEY TAMPER WITH MY DIGNITY?!?!?!'

When they're brand new, they may (MAY) be a novelty.

But, after a while, said novelty wears off. Sometime after that, they become nothing more than an irritant. And, use maliciously and endlessly, a troll.

If it helps, you don't have to agree with (or even like) my opinion.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The whole "lack of such an ignore feature will drive paying players away" spin is just slippery slope.

I agree that this sort of effects ignore feature is welcome for cases where players just want to be absolute jerkfaces with constant effects spamming. It can potentially cut down on support tickets complaining about them. However I doubt this is something so serious and crippling for the target player's gameplay experience to actually make them leave, or that it's actually something that's happening really frequently on a daily basis.

If it's happening in a public instance like MC, just simply change instances. If it's happening in a social RP instance, reallocate to another instance or maybe temporarily in a hideout, or other RP instances.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The whole "lack of such an ignore feature will drive paying players away" spin is just slippery slope.

I agree that this sort of effects ignore feature is welcome for cases where players just want to be absolute jerkfaces with constant effects spamming. It can potentially cut down on support tickets complaining about them. However I doubt this is something so serious and crippling for the target player's gameplay experience to actually make them leave, or that it's actually something that's happening really frequently on a daily basis.

If it's happening in a public instance like MC, just simply change instances. If it's happening in a social RP instance, reallocate to another instance or maybe temporarily in a hideout, or other RP instances.

As easy as it sounds, being outside of anything Roleplaying I can deal with. But when I am RPing in my location of choice and a troll decides to come by to start harassing you, changing instances or moving to a hideout actually breaks the RP unless you take the time to RP it out saying "Hey guys, lets go here instead." and that is if everyone who is In Character agrees to do so. There is also a few out there who like to RP but then encourage the trolls by thinking they are In Character themselves when all they are doing is making the problem worse by prolonging their stay to keep harassing the group.

At least now that a certain few notorious trolls that is common to see in Caprice or in other locations who stalk RPers are now gone because they finally did get what they deserved and their so called troll buddies finally got the clue "Oh crap we better behave". At least they are tamed enough to just troll once and leave. But of course that brings new trolls to the block and now seeing the common Kryptos VBA device spam or teleporting spam to push people around once again being a thing. THAT is the number one nuisance I cannot deal with from the trolls no matter where I am or what I am trying to do. I shouldn't be forced to move to a new location to what ever I am currently doing because of these trolls who get their entertainment through mockery.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It honestly amazes me that there are people who think the best way to deal with such an issue is for "oversensitive" people to leave the game entirely. I mean really now. A game with as small a population as it has, and some people think it is a good idea to make the population smaller while leaving a bad taste in their mouth.

I'd laugh if I wasn't so dumbfounded.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
    edited February 2015
    However there are other animation-effects without cooldowns and without needing purchases that can easily be abused and used for harassment.
    Most of which a troll immunity item simply can't do anything about. For example, anything that bumps characters is built into the collision mechanics of the game, and can't be fixed short of setting no collision on the character, which has its own problems.
    edited February 2015
    Most of which a troll immunity item simply can't do anything about. For example, anything that bumps characters is built into the collision mechanics of the game, and can't be fixed short of setting no collision on the character, which has its own problems.

Abusing collision mechanics to intentionally push other players around wouldn't be prevented sure. I don't think something like disabling forced animations would be something hard to do as compared to disabling collisions though.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like how all the focus is on the water balloons and disco balls and everything else animation-wise is ignored.

Yes yes, we get it. Getting all worked up over balloons and shiny spinny stuff that make you dance is silly and immature. Fine. However there are other animation-effects without cooldowns and without needing purchases that can easily be abused and used for harassment. If the intention is to cause grief and annoyance then it's harassment aka trolling. You can spin it all you want, it doesn't change the fact. EULA also states "don't harass", especially "no stalking" if it really goes that far. In the context of this game, harassment is either visual or textual.

Personally it doesn't affect me all that much or even often. In the 5 years of playing the game I rarely come across people who actually go all out with effects spam. Yes it's just a video game, to an extent, but I can see how in certain cases such things can be a PITA that 100% flat out ignoring isn't always a solution, especially when changing instances or zones has to be considered.

Powers and other devices that force animations or effects on people have been brought up a few times as well... really you're the only one focused exclusively on water balloons and disco balls.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited February 2015
    raighn wrote: »
    Powers and other devices that force animations or effects on people have been brought up a few times as well... really you're the only one focused exclusively on water balloons and disco balls.

They're the devices that keep getting brought up in the thread and used in the argument of "don't get mad over water balloons". Point I was making anyway is that spamming of visual effects represented by other stuff should be considered that an auto-ignore feature can help with.
  • axenomeaxenome Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not bothered by balloons and disco balls. Balloons are one use items, and I've sold them, because I'm making globals off them. Same with disco balls, I have 40 left in my bank and I sell one or two per week. I don't care about those. The ones that irritate me are the ones you use flying into the ground to force collision with your sitting character on a couch in caprice lounge or VIP- yes, they're there too- or the ooze powers, teleports, and the like, to move your character into a sitting position on the floor, which looks stupid and is intentionally obnoxious. That's why I want the no collision item, or at least a no collision command, the same way there's a AllPowersActivationCancel that lets you hold a weapon out, or CancelAllMovementActivation that lets you fly without the flying animation so you can sit on someone's shoulder.

Yes, I'm an RPer. Poses and positioning can add some fun and cool atmosphere to an RP, and it really isn't right that people should be allowed to disrupt people's RP's just because they feel like it. Disruptive influences cause people to leave a game, and honestly the potential for CO has long been stymied by just this sort of thing. CO could easily be bigger with its enormous potential for storytelling, but it's hard to tell a story when (figuratively) someone is playing a tuba obnoxiously at you every time you open your mouth.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The solution should be the ignore feature, if you're on someone's ignore list your devices shouldn't be able to affect them, and likewise they shouldn't be able to target you with devices. It would be a simple solution and no new devices need to be added.

I've never had a problem with trolls, I am a man of endless patience, but I fully understand how other people feel. I love my devices but I only use them on friends. If someone was being bothered by them I wouldn't use them on them. But then I'm also considerate.

Another option would be to have a RP area were devices didn't work at all.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This discussion is not about whether or not people should just put up with trolling or just not be bothered by it. If that's what you plan on posting in this thread, your comments will be removed. If I have to do this repeatedly, I'll call for more permanent measures.

So please, stay on topic.
    biffsig.jpg
  • skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Fair enough biff fair enough i got baited and took the hook like a happy little trout.

Funny enough there has been similiar issues on other MMOs Ive walked the worlds of years past and those ive heard tales of from others who have dabbled in the ones I have not.

Some people seem to feel that events should be an optional and ignorable by those who dont want their daily routine disturbed, and this faction usually is not very MMOversed they have only played their one MMO and at most put in hour here and there into others in idle curiosity.

But I shall tell you that the most legendary events in all of MMOdom are not optional, they are in every players face and a must to take part in or just dont log in during them. That is actually the ideal goal as it thins the players who conflict with each other the most out of each others way. games like WoW have thrived because of that hard line stance on the issue. The most legendary event there was actually first time around a bug that was used to cause mass grief and nearly brought the game to a standstill. And the majority of the population loved it because it actually immersed them in the world even when most there are very anti RP.

It was more or less a plague, that could and did wipe out everyone who got infected, it spread rapidly and was said to of had every player hub a ghost town by those left who isolated themselves in a desperate attempt to survive and thrive in the shadow of the outbreak.

later they would go on to adapt this bugged infection to a zombie themed event that does not really offer any opt out during it.

The point of any MMO is to immerse us in the world. Even META gamers who have 0 interest in RP actually still seek to lose themselves in the alternate realm for a time and nothing optional can ever do that.

An event shouldnt just have a chance to draw a player in, it should drag them in kicking and screaming like youve been grabbed by a horde of zombies and are being taken into the dark scary cellar.

So really any event item that another can negate by buying something really in my eyes only cheapens the event that they are connected to and makes it one less thing to care about, one more thing to ignore when it comes around.

Like I said, dont come to smurf village and complain about jokey smurfs presents, they shouldnt just be expected they should be looked forward to. If they are not, why are you on this game or in an MMO that you have no control over what comes and goes?
    edited March 2015
    People shouldn't have to put up with trolling - they surely shouldn't react emotionally to it (because giving the trolls the reaction they want certainly doesn't equal not putting up with it, that's giving in to it), but should definitely report it to a GM, and be proactive by recording the harassment - don't freak out and encourage the troll thereby making it a bigger problem, be a good community member and help to dissuade and remove them.

How much of a bummer would it be if you were a new player, and you just got your hands on a water balloon, and you have a big smile on your face thinking about how much fun it's going to be to throw it at someone.... and then you have to spend 10 minutes trying to find someone who doesn't have fun blocked.

At the very least, if that's the environment you really want to create, you have to admit that you at least owe cryptic some money.

PS - programming the game to automatically return you to your previous animation state after the animation from being balloon'd or disco'd would be neat.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell