test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Van Helsing Act/Rights of undead and extraplanars

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I have heard people speak on a 'Van Helsing Act' that protects the rights of the Undead and Extraplanar beings (demons, angels, etc).

Now, I have heard someone on these very forums that knows the lore quite well say that they've never heard anything.

Now, that being said- what are the rights of these beings?
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    At present, the 14th Amendment’s guarantees of due process and equal protection apply to humans and individuals whose genetic material (clones, mutates and mutants) are derived from humans. They do not apply to extradimensionals, extraterrestrials, constructs, and creatures who have been pronounced as legally dead (i.e. undead). According to Champions Universe (6e): “Congress has, however, passed laws granting at least limited rights to all “independent, free-willed, sentient entities” in American territory. Presumably, this includes the basic right to not be killed on sight, and probably the right to hold property and seek legitimate employment, but not the right to vote.

That's from Thundrax's CO Lore Primer, actual quote from Champions Universe is in yellow.

I also can't find Van Helsing Act in 6ed CU. Maybe I'm not good enough at searching, but I'm almost sure it is not there.
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I guess that comes down to if extradimensional humans count as "humans" or "extradimensionals" it could really go either way, maybe depending on if said extradimensional humans were genetically the same as "normal" ones and didn't have any odd traits you see in fiction like having their heart and other organs on the mirriored side of the body.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »
    ..maybe depending on if said extradimensional humans were genetically the same as "normal" ones and didn't have any odd traits you see in fiction like having their heart and other organs on the mirriored side of the body.
    That last had best not be a disqualifier - it's a recognized medical condition in our world.

Based on Thundrax's interpretation of the 14th Amendment in the Champions universe, however, an extradimensional human, within standard genetic variation to still be considered as "human", should have the same rights as any other human(ish) native to the Champs dimension.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I believe the Van Helsing Act was an artifact of 5th edition Champions, and noticeably missing in 6th edition.

Most Roleplayers I know play it off as "After the supernatural nastiness going on in Vibora Bay, it was repealed".
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Fifth Edition Champions was essentially the same setting/universe as the current Sixth Edition one, and I can assure you, it was never mentioned there either. The quotation above about the rights of non-humans is virtually identical in the Fifth Edition version of Champions Universe as in the Sixth Edition one.

I can't at this moment speak definitively about all previous incarnations of the CU for earlier editions of Champions, but as far as I can recall I've never encountered a "Van Helsing Act" mentioned in connection with the PnP game. Nor have I yet found it in lore sources for Champions Online. Only place I've seen it discussed is on CO fan forums. If someone could point us toward an official source for it, I for one would be grateful.

EDIT: Is it possible that this convention could have appeared in another game, and someone just assumed it applied here? Say, from White Wolf's "World of Darkness" line?
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bulgarex wrote: »
    EDIT: Is it possible that this convention could have appeared in another game, and someone just assumed it applied here? Say, from White Wolf's "World of Darkness" line?

White Wolf's WoD doesn't feature this, anywhere. Supernatural beings of any sort are regarded as they are in real life- a fable, a scary story. It's written so if you 'see' one, your mind can't process it properly and you write it off as something else. The NSA is vaguely aware of Vampires in 3rd Edition, but not as 'vampires'- just 'some anomaly in certain persons we have discovered' that they are (or were) actively looking into. However, I'm not sure what changed in the latter editions and from what I understand, being a Vampire is even more restrictive.

As a matter of fact, let me say one thing:

WoD is cool, IMHO. But it's so absurdly incompatable with CO (or any superhero setting), attempting to do so is like dropping the cast of Game of Thrones into Warhammer. It belongs on its own and it doesn't play nice. Baring fangs or turning into a 9-foot-tall were-creature isn't impressive to people who've watched human beings throw dump trucks and melt steel with a dirty look. I never understood why people somehow thinks it gets a pass, because the very core elements of the WoD lore are tossed out the window repeatedly by many of the players. All it seems they are doing is borrowing some history and elements of said lore- but if you do that with Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, or anything else- it's treated as you 'hijacking' copyrighted material. WoD should get the same treatment.
    edited April 2014
    All right, it's time to go to the source. The book, Stronghold, is for the Fifth Edition of Champions (the same universe as currently official), published in 2008. Written by then-Hero Games Line Developer Steven S. Long, himself a lawyer, it includes nearly thirty pages discussing in some depth American law and legal procedures in the real world, and how they've been affected by the presence of superhumans on Champions Earth, including issues related to the Fourteenth Amendment of the American Constitution, particularly the one raised here. I'm just going to quote the relevant part of Stronghold p. 30:

The second and more important issue is the rights of so-called "non-humans": alien and extra-dimensional life-forms; artificially intelligent computers, androids, and robots; human mutants; the undead; clones and genetic constructs; and so forth. The Supreme Court dealt with this question in 1978 in six consolidated cases: One Unname-able Alien Life-Form From Tau Ceti 11 v. United States (alien being), Mechanoid-5 v. New York (artificially intelligent android), Ohio v. Julesz the Kind (vampire), Gordon "Powermonger" Lowder v. California (mutants), Phillip "Infrared" Cowling v. United States (mutates), United States v. The Lizard-Thing (extradimensional beings), and Number 32 v. Central Intelligence Agency (human clone with genetic enhancements), 428 U.S. 1471 (1976) (collectively, Tau Ceti 11). The Court stated:

The Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection extend to all persons within the United States or its territories. But... the term "persons" means humans. Neither alien and extra-dimensional life forms, nor artificial intelligences, nor the undead are "persons," and hence they have no rights under the Fourteenth Amendment.

Mutants, mutates, clones, and genetic constructs from human stock are a different matter. Essentially, they are "subspecies" of humanity. In many cases, even the most thorough examination of them cannot differentiate them from humans. The are so close to being human that there is no legal justification for considering them not to be human. We hold that free-willed mutants, mutates, clones, and genetic constructs, from human stock, are 'persons" under the Fourteenth Amendment and are possessed of all rights thereunder.

Id. at 1480-1483 (citations omitted).

In response, Congress passed the Android, Artificial Intelligence, and Alien Life-Form Rights Act of 1979 (usually known as the "Triple-A Act"). The Triple-A Act grants civil rights to most "sentient" beings who can prove that they are independent and free-willed. The law defines "sentience" in various ways, usually relating to the capacity for creative and philosophical thought, not just problem-solving capability. Most states have also enacted laws or passed their own constitutional amendments granting "alternate sentiences" various civil rights. However, this law and all related laws, state and federal, make one exception: the undead do not have civil rights. The legal ramifications of that, particularly the question of who owns the formerly deceased's property, combined with the typically evil or destructive nature of such beings, has kept them outside the ambit of the laws.

From the above, I would conclude that a being from an alternate Earth who is genetically human would have full rights under the Fourteenth Amendment. I would question an assumption that just because undead are not guaranteed due process of law and equal protection of the law under the Fourteenth Amendment, they can be destroyed with impunity and without legal consequences. I also want to bring up the case of Dr. Silverback, the gorilla super-scientist hero mutated by the infamous Dr. Phillippe Moreau, who lived in the United Kingdom before relocating to Millennium City. "Eventually Silverback applied to the British government for official citizenship. With the assistance of the famous lawyer St. John Simons and the support of Morrison, Cambridge Biochem, and the New Knights, Silverback won a landmark case establishing himself as legally equal to a human being and a naturalized citizen of the British Empire. This precedent has become a landmark in superhuman law, cited over and over again in cases involving the legal status of robots, aliens, and the undead." (Champions Universe 6E pp. 178-79) From the dates given in Dr. Silverback's back story, this ruling was made between 1985 and 1994. It would probably have some bearing on individual cases involving people who aren't "persons" under the law, even in the United States.
    edited April 2014
    The following thread from September 2010 is the earliest reference I can find on these forums to the Van Helsing Act: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=116800 . Note that it's mentioned by a player, not a dev or PnP writer, amidst many assumptions about "vampire lore" not supported by any CU publications. Also note the response to the poster's initial inquiry, which I'm 99.9% certain was written by Steve Long.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Playing as a vampire pretending to be a superhero pretending to be a vampire, this is useful info.

I had heard about this Van Helsing Act from other players, obviously in Club Caprice, where vampires are like the indigenous ethnic group. I can totally see this Act came about as a game of telephone/Chinese Whispers from some other setting.

If pressed, my character would further lie that she was, in fact, a mutant. Much funnier IMHO.

That said, this discussion is very interesting! I finally got around to read the Fourteenth Ammendment, y'know? I really like the fact that Steven S. Long is a lawyer, this Stronghold book is like an episode of the West Wing. Good stuff!
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
    edited April 2014
    Some time during the early years of DOJ's ownership of the Champions IP (post-2001), Steve Long wrote a short PDF called The Hero Universe setting out the general guiding principles for Hero Games's "meta-setting," past, present, and future. Page 2 of that work touches briefly on the nature of the undead in the setting, so I thought it might be pertinent to this discussion to quote that here:

"The undead — humans and, in some cases, animals or members of other races who return from the dead — exist, and are almost uniformly evil. The earliest ones were created by sorcerers, adepts of the arcana of Necromancy, but many (such as vampires) possess limited “procreation” abilities. According to most scholars who have studied the matter, undead are created by fusing life-essence with evil arcane energies from the Netherworld (or sometimes even Qliphothic dimensions!). Thus, the undead are almost uniformly evil and destructive — and powerful. However, other scholars have put forth other theories, or questioned aspects of the primary theory, so no one can say for certain exactly what the undead are."

The lore includes examples of vampires who are not malevolent or actively predatory, and even heroic. They're most emphatically in the minority, though. Offhand I can't think of any other benevolent undead.

EDIT: I did remember one. The Constable is a member of the Canadian superhero team StarForce. He's a revenant, a spirit made flesh to right an injustice from his past.
    edited April 2014
    I had heard about this Van Helsing Act from other players, obviously in Club Caprice, where vampires are like the indigenous ethnic group. I can totally see this Act came about as a game of telephone/Chinese Whispers from some other setting.

Now you can cite Tau Ceti 11 and the Triple-A Act back at them, and watch their heads spin. :biggrin:
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the info in this thread, it could be useful for some of my toons like my self-aware AI.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited April 2014
    Shall come in handy next time when my AI will have any arguments with pesky, arrogant bloodsuckers.

SHUT UP, YOU RIGHTLESS PEASANT!

So, aliens, AIs and synthetics are covered by the same category. Seems logical solution, since none of them is unnatural creation breaking any laws of physics or biology. They're merely non-human.

How non-human extraplanars are considered uder the law? As aliens?

The latter also brings another question - spirits and demons also are extraplanar.

Would be hilarious if creatures like demons had better legal standing than undead.
    edited April 2014
    Well, "United States v. The Lizard-Thing" under the collective Tau Ceti 11 case explicitly dealt with an extraplanar, so I guess "alien" applies to anything not of Earth, which is literally accurate. If a spirit was a ghost of a person, I imagine it would qualify as undead. Demons are, like undead, generally evil and destructive by nature. For that reason I wonder whether most of them would qualify as "free willed," or if their innate malevolence would be considered as eliminating their capacity for choice. Too deep for me. :wink: I think we could reasonably extrapolate the terms of the Triple-A Act to exclude demons from the ranks of beings granted civil rights, even if it's not explicitly stated.

But the existence of demons brings up the question of whether courts have jurisdiction over divine beings, or those claiming divinity (including infernal "deities" such as Satan), who do from time to time show up on Champions Earth. Stronghold touches on this, on p. 30. In brief, courts usually reject most legal claims against beings who can prove divine status to the satisfaction of at least some people, on various grounds. However, they accept jurisdiction over any being which commits a crime in the United States, regardless of any assertion of divinity.
    edited April 2014
    In brief, courts usually reject most legal claims against beings who can prove divine status to the satisfaction of at least some people, on various grounds.

Well, in general and using dry logic, existence of divine creatures and how they are working in CU would be very convenient for anyone trying to prove atheist point of view in CU...
    If said person were also able to point that it is all imaginary creation and that's why they do exist. :biggrin:
    edited April 2014
    That the gods who appear on Earth are the products of human imagination -- which we outside of the game world "know" to be "true" -- is only the most widely-accepted theory among knowledgeable mystic scholars within the game world. The vast majority of their worshipers, the public at large, and even many practicing magicians, have never heard of this and probably wouldn't accept it even if they understood the concept. After all, in appearance, behavior, and powers, the gods fit all the expectations most people have of them. Atheists already consider self-professed gods as some other type of deluded superhuman.

As for the gods themselves, few of them are willing to support the validity of this theory. They remember their own pasts as the most popular stories about them tell it. Some of them even remember creating the world and the human race.

Note that occultists who are also believers in a particular faith treat the godheads in the Imaginal Realms as the equivalent of masks which the true deities wear to present themselves to simple folk who can't comprehend what they really are. (See The Mystic World p. 33.)
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The undead rights thing is interesting.
    That'd make for a fun campaign setup: A team of superhumans is hired by a well preserved, formerly wealthy-businessman-in-life zombie/undead, who wants their help: in getting back what is his/hers/its, and in exchange the zombie will support them with tools, gadgets, contacts, for the rest of their careers.

This could play out in two ways:
    a combat heavy "heist" method, where the superhumans do robberies on the heir's operations to get what's their undead benefactor's.
    a more cerebral method, through which the supers establish a rival operation to the zombie's living heirs and try to beat them in that way.

I do love fluff, it makes ideas sprout up like daisies.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Granted, I don't see how you can grant rights to something that isn't publicly acknowledged as real like demons, vampires, ghosts, etc.
    edited April 2014
    I don't think it's so much "publicly acknowledged" as "publicly believed." The fact that a legal case regarding the status of the undead was even heard underlines that the authorities aren't hiding their awareness of the supernatural. Much of the general public doesn't buy into it, though, not when there are more scientific explanations for such things. Albeit comic-book science. :wink:
    edited April 2014
    Disclaimer - when I'm making fun of this topic, I'm making fun of myself, as I also do vampire RP.
    Granted, I don't see how you can grant rights to something that isn't publicly acknowledged as real like demons, vampires, ghosts, etc.
    I don't think it's so much "publicly acknowledged" as "publicly believed."

I'm realising this is the issue of the Van Helsing Act, that a law exists for something that shouldn't.

I was thinking of Lord Liaden's question if this Van Helsing Act was introduced by World of Darkness players, as well as Cyber Soldier's point that, even if it was, don't be bringing other IPs into CO, especially when their tones don't match.

There is a greater Disconnect than even that, IMHO. Something fundamental for vampires.

A common theme with most vampire works is they mask themselves, hiding in plain sight. Whether as a Vibora Bay street gang, a sparkly high school student, etc. (just like the Devil, Keyser Soze, the Transformers)

It's so prevalent that the World of Darkness RPG is called Vampire: the Masquerade.

The Masquerade, for those unfamiliar with it, is the greatest trick the vampires ever played: to disguise the fact they even exist. This is their survival strategy, and a lot of that RPG is how they police themselves, cover their existence up.

To have a law that protects them is to reveal their existence...the ultimate irony.

INB4 "if vampires are protected by the law, they wouldn't need to hide". It's a good point, but laws change, governments change, beliefs change. They probably could never walk that back, so if anything, they would like to stop such a law.

Of course, the typical Caprice RP is for vampires flaunt their nature. So...I dunno, man. Thoughts?
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    edited April 2014
    To a large extent I think it comes down to, when people are able to create customized characters in any game, MMO or PnP, many of them want to recreate their favorite characters or character types from whatever other medium they're familiar with. Vampires are ubiquitous in pop culture right now, but depending on the source, besides the classic evil monster vampires we have angsty vampires, repentant vampires, heroic vampires, law-abiding vampires, streetsmart badass vampires, teen and child vampires, mutant vampires, alien vampires, and of course, sparkly milksop vampires. As well as vampire clans, vampire cults, vampire councils, vampire conspiracies, vampire clubs, vampire schools... almost none of which can be translated whole-cloth into the established Champions setting. But many people just want to play who they want to the way they want to. I believe quite a few don't even concern themselves with the logic of the world they're playing in.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, I guess it's simply that. Lore and logic aside, we all play what we want to play. I can see why such a Van Helsing Act was invented/invoked, for players who just don't want to be hassled about it.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As for vampires trying to go public, I liked what one of the writers for Vampire: the Masquerade said about players who insisted on having their characters like up to some LARP-style stereotype. In essence, you can dress up in Victorian clothing and speak of your centuries of unlife if you insist - but don't blame us when the Society of Leopold comes around and sets fire to your haven at two in the afternoon...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited April 2014
    And you'll get players whining and raging because they don't get their cake and get to eat it too.

In practical terms it isn't necessary for someone to buy into the premise of a MMO world to play it. They register (under whatever terms), create their character (logical background or no), and off they go. It sucks for everyone involved when they meet someone who wants to roleplay the setting faithfully, but what can you do?
  • witchgunwitchgun Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well having two undead myself the one being a Lich this is a bit tricky, so I go by if they don't actively break the law or become dangerous then they have some protection under being sentient and able to define right or wrong. Where as undead who don't display such things are free for anyone to kill. However my vampire maybe could be more mutant and not technically undead its a bit tricky there. As to my understanding if the vampre in question does not have a soul is truely undead they are considered by most as abominations not much better than zombies.

So then we get into really strange areas like has the soul ever been confirmed to exist in the Champions universe. In CO it seems to be the case as there are powers that eat life force meaning the idea of souls may be confirmed in the game. But that's how I treat it thy are protected if they are sentient to a degree if they are just animalistic flesh eaters they are treated as things to hunt.

As for why play a vampire or a smart zombie? Well to be fair there aint many games that let you be anything but Human so its nice to try other ideas out But imo its fine as long as you operate within certain laws. If you act like a monster they will hunt you down and kill you like one as they would a crazy super. If you act normal or none threatening you will mostly be left alone.

Anyways that's my thoughts on the subject and how i try and deal with it. I have herd of some source book that covered some rules on it though but apparently it seems no one here knows of it so I may have imagined it.
    edited May 2014
    witchgun wrote: »
    Anyways that's my thoughts on the subject and how i try and deal with it. I have herd of some source book that covered some rules on it though but apparently it seems no one here knows of it so I may have imagined it.

Your approach sounds very reasonable, and adequate to fitting into Champions Online without causing you much hassle. :smile:

As for a source book, AFAIK the ones mentioned and quoted from on this thread are the only official Champions publications dealing with the issues raised.

There's a common phenomenon among tabletop RPG groups, in which an original concept, custom rule variant, etc. suits the group's preferences, and over time becomes such an accepted part of their campaign that no-one remembers it wasn't originally part of the rules or setting. Perhaps something similar happened in this case.
  • witchgunwitchgun Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I honestly wish I could find the post i'm referring to, I seem to remember a thread about it humm. It may have been something covering the Dark hero concept though more than the undead. However in most cases common sense will get you through is my theory anyways lol.

Champions Online is a strange animal however, we don't know how much of the CU laws made it in. you get vampires and werewolves pretty much openly operating in Vib Bay and a lot of magic flying around another thing that CU I think had a thing to say that magic was not common at all. So yes I think there is a bit of adaptation going on.

I always imagine in such a thing though you would get a similar thing to a episode in star trek the next generation when they try to deconstruct data the android and Picard comes to his rescue. So a bit like some hero had a undead sidekick who gets arrested for being a monster and said hero knows a good charismatic lawyer who does the captain Picard style speech I think there would be a law change. Of course that's just a theory though there is nothing to really go on in that reguard so I fall back on the proof of sentience thing.
    edited May 2014
    As I said before, I think a lot of what you see in CO is just players doing their thing, regardless of whether it fits with the setting. However, some of the choices Cryptic Studios made in designing content for the MMO, like stressing the magical elements of the CU, have encouraged perceptions of it that differ from the source material. Well, that and Cryptic just plain changing some of the source material. :rolleyes:

But the needs and style of a MMORPG differ from the ones for a tabletop RPG, and both necessarily differ from real life. At some point you just have to go with it. The lore is there for people who want it, but if you don't the continuity police won't show up at your door. :wink:
    edited May 2014
    Personally I think it's cool from a role-playing perspective to occasionally take on the persona of a monster who's the exception to the rule that his kind are all evil. Playing against general expectations can be an interesting challenge, particularly if your role-playing preferences run toward the angsty and tragic. But people who want to openly revel in being evil monsters are IMHO missing out on the real potential of such a character, not to mention straining the credibility of any world remotely similar to our own.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I kind of like it too sometimes.

One of my toons is actually a demon who has turned away from hell. She figures if angels could fall, there must be a way for demons to rise.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited December 2014
    Pardon the thread necro, but this seemed like the most recent and relevant thread in which to add this interesting bit of real-world news: Argentina: Court grants orangutan basic rights.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — An orangutan that has lived 20 years at the Buenos Aires zoo is entitled to some legal rights enjoyed by humans, an Argentine court has ruled, a decision the ape's attorney called unprecedented and a ticket to greater freedom.

The ruling comes a month after a local animal rights group filed a habeas corpus writ in favour of Sandra, who was born in Germany but has lived in captivity in Buenos Aires most of her life.

"Following a dynamic ... judicial interpretation, it is necessary to recognize that the animal is subject to rights, and should be protected," said the Dec. 18 ruling, published Monday by the official judicial news agency.

Andres Gil Dominguez, who represented the orangutan, said the "unprecedented" ruling paves the way for the habeas corpus rights to be accepted by the courts and for Sandra to be released at a sanctuary.

"It sets a precedent that changes the paradigm of animal guardianship and will impact their rights. ... It will lead to a lot of discussions," Gil Dominguez told The Associated Press.

"From this ruling forward ... the discussion will be whether captivity in itself damages their rights."
    © Provided by thecanadianpress.com

Earlier this month, a New York appeals court ruled that a chimpanzee is not entitled to the rights of a human and does not have to be freed by its owner. The three-judge Appellate Division panel was unanimous in denying "legal personhood" to Tommy, who lives alone in a cage in upstate Fulton County.

A trial-level court had previously denied the Nonhuman Rights Project's effort to have Tommy released. The group's lawyer, Steven Wise, told the appeals court in October that the chimp's living conditions are akin to a person in unlawful solitary confinement.

Wise argued that animals with human qualities, such as chimps, deserve basic rights, including freedom from imprisonment. He has also sought the release of three other chimps in New York and said he plans similar cases in other states. But the mid-level appeals court said there is neither precedent nor legal basis for treating animals as persons.
    edited December 2014
    First of all, to reiterate, there has never been a "Van Helsing Act" in any edition of Champions PnP. I can't find any mention of it in Champions Online's background, either. I don't know when or where it originated within the CO player community, but AFAIK the Triple-A Act is the only piece of official legal lore which has ever dealt with this issue.

As to your two examples, Triple-A doesn't address them, and I myself am not enough of a lawyer or philosopher to provide anything like an informed opinion. Someone else may want to weigh in. But if you wanted to deal with the legal implications of their condition within a role playing situation, since it's such a grey area my only advice would be to go in whatever direction you would find the most interesting and fun.

EDIT: FWIW there's an official villain called Automaton who's like your second example, a former human being accidentally transformed into a disembodied intelligence which can "possess" and control electronic devices. The last machine he was known to inhabit was destroyed in a conflict with superheroes, and he hasn't been seen since; so his status was never put to a legal test.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Reminds me of when Blade got the jails for mass murder in Marvel Comics.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited December 2014
    See, that's an example of something that some people would consider a restriction on the stories they want to tell, being turned into a springboard to an interesting story in its own right. It all depends on how folks want to approach a given set of circumstances.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just found this thread when looking for other information on the CU and love that I'm told the Van Helsing Act is not official! Can go back to freely slaying vampires! \o/
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd just be happy with an improved chain powerset :)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Can go back to freely slaying vampires! \o/
    Well, there's some possible legal issues with proper corpse handling, but typically they were already violated by whoever caused it to rise up as undead in the first place.
    edited February 2015
    Just keep in mind that not all vampires in the CU are evil. At least one is actually a hero. And some of those non-evil vamps have powerful friends who would look very unkindly on someone who tried to destroy them.

It's best to establish the guilt of your target first, even among vampires. :wink:
    edited February 2015
    I think classing Alucard as "non-evil" would be circumstantial at best. :rolleyes:

I don't think many people would object to someone staking his dad, though.

latest?cb=20100626090641