test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do you stay with CO?

Comments

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1. LTS, so I can come and go at any time.

2. I click on the desktop icon, enter my pw, and the game launches. I don't have to have some other program running first, that sits in the background ... doing "stuff."

3. Revisit old ideas or play with new ones.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    warcanch wrote: »
    2. I click on the desktop icon, enter my pw, and the game launches. I don't have to have some other program running first, that sits in the background ... doing "stuff."

I forgot about this.......another reason for me too. Let's just hope that those of us who can do this (the pre-ARCers) will never be forced to use ARC.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • curiousshadocuriousshado Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello all.

I am not allow to forge my own post just yet, as I am new. But I was reading the posts in this thread and I thought this might be a good place to chime in / ask my own question in junction to this threads posing question.

I am currently installing CO free trial, with hopes to possibly subscribe. I hail from CoH / CoV, Freedom server. I was very devastated when it shut down and couldn't bring myself to try CO. Reading the posts in this thread has me somewhat more inclined to subscribe. Is there anyone who would be willing to talk with me more in game once I finish installing? I miss CoH. I would be cool to make some new friends / find some old friends. be apart of a community similar to CoH again.

My apologies for disrupting the thread.

Take care.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello all.

I am not allow to forge my own post just yet, as I am new. But I was reading the posts in this thread and I thought this might be a good place to chime in / ask my own question in junction to this threads posing question.

I am currently installing CO free trial, with hopes to possibly subscribe. I hail from CoH / CoV, Freedom server. I was very devastated when it shut down and couldn't bring myself to try CO. Reading the posts in this thread has me somewhat more inclined to subscribe. Is there anyone who would be willing to talk with me more in game once I finish installing? I miss CoH. I would be cool to make some new friends / find some old friends. be apart of a community similar to CoH again.

Take care.

Try the CoX channel. You'll find some fellow enthusiasts.

As for the question at hand, largely because of the friends I've made here, and my love for the subject matter.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello all.

Take care.

When you get in game, type in /channel_join cox

Then right-click your Chat tab, and choose a new color for the channel so you don't confuse it with local chat.
    biffsig.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @Curiousshado

Many forumites here would be glad to chat and help get you situated. My ingame handle is @roughbear.

Look me up or send mail if you have any questions, want to team up for missions, and so on.

I belong to the SuperGroup, "Free Costume Slots R Us!" We exist only to make sure new players have access to that second costume slot.

:)

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello all.

Take care.

I'd love to help you get started here on CO. You can contact me in-game via PM or Mail with any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. (@DZPlayer122 is my @handle.) As other have stated, the CoX channel is open and you can join at any time so you can get with other former City Of X Players. We hope you enjoy yourself here.

See you in-game!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I forgot about this.......another reason for me too. Let's just hope that those of us who can do this (the pre-ARCers) will never be forced to use ARC.

you can, I had to reinstall after getting my new computer. I still don't use ARC to log on.
    I copied the game files to an external drive. Transferred them, then installed ARC separately.
    My ARC library currently.
    list2_zps7224c14b.png

Or You can download the game then uninstall ARC but then you get no freebies or notes of games going cheap.

To run it without ARC,
    1. go to games folder.

2. find exe file.( I have 1 in 2 directories, both work.)

c1f00f5e-8da4-4e99-bb87-ed697b7e4ece_zpsba67e987.png

3. stick on desktop as shortcut.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is especially useful for those of us that have zero interest in PW's other games.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If it's Arc specifically you're distrustful of, you can also get CO through Steam.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited February 2015
    This is especially useful for those of us that have zero interest in PW's other games.

I use it only for launching Champions. Benefit: since using Arc, I have typed my password into Pidgin zero times.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I guess that's cool if you own a mic. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2015
    I had to look up Pidgin because it was capitalized. Good lord, what HORRIBLE name for a chat system.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    I guess that's cool if you own a mic. :rolleyes:

Not sure how this is relevant? The reason I don't have to type my password in is because Arc memorizes it and logs you in automatically.
    biffsig.jpg
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Symbolism and Friends, playing it together in a gaming environment is nice to, despite the stagnation.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited February 2015
    Not sure how this is relevant? The reason I don't have to type my password in is because Arc memorizes it and logs you in automatically.
    But logging into Pidgin is really only useful if you have a mic.

Translation:

Program-Pidgin no good if me-fella no got stuff to talk you-fella, savvy?

:biggrin:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

Translation:

Pidgin is an IM client. I don't even know if it supports voice chat.

Edit: I suppose a bit of info is in order. Pidgin is one of several programs that allow you to connect to custom channels in Champions and other Cryptic games, without having to be in-game. Like the CoX channel, Trade, Forumites, guild chats, and tells. Those can all be accessed with programs like Pidgin. Lots of people use those to chat while at work or just when they want to chat and not be in-game.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    jonsills talk talks:

Translation:

Very very goodly, mister man!
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Getting back to the OP:

I've stayed with this game because I like super heroes, but I really like making my own heroes rather then playing with someone else's IP. Champions gives me TONs of freedom when designing my character. I'd like a little more freedom in the powers department but a far as designing your character? This game is awesome.

Also I have a lifetime subscription so I usually design a character, level them to 40, and then make a new character.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Right. Because your constant whining and complaining has accomplished soooo much. **eyeroll**

My "whining and complaining" has done a lot more for this game than you realize. But you're just going to ignore what I said about communities supporting a sound suggestion that builds up enough support to get the devs to actually implement it, aren't you?
    Indeed... when someone has already demonstrated that they're completely and irrevocably deaf, screaming even further isn't going to make them magically listen. We all remember how Einstein defined insanity....
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Getting back to the OP:

This is why I stopped trying to convince this community to do anything. We're all insane here. And I'm still here thinking that there is still enough players around who want to support eachother's ideas to get stuff to happen.
    edited February 2015
    crypticbuxom has delusions of grandeur:

My "whining and complaining" has done a lot more for this game than you realize.

I'm doubting it, but please, feel free to list such to prove me wrong.
    But you're just going to ignore what I said about communities supporting a sound suggestion that builds up enough support to get the devs to actually implement it, aren't you?

No, I'm merely saying YOUR constant kvetching has probably fallen on deaf ears because of its frequency and rancor.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    No, I'm merely saying YOUR constant kvetching has probably fallen on deaf ears because of its frequency and rancor.

I'm here to support the people who want a better game that deserves more than a feature it got when it was first made. Its very telling about someone if they choose to ignore that.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I only stay for my Characters

/Cue Banner/ Do it for Them~
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited February 2015
    crypticbuxom makes some high claims:

I'm here to support the people who want a better game that deserves more than a feature it got when it was first made. Its very telling about someone if they choose to ignore that.

Except you're not "supporting" anyone, you're leading the way with the problems YOU'VE decided are important, and when people don't flock to your banner, you call us all "insane". You might want to come to the realization that these things that are of utmost importance to you, simply aren't for a lot of people.

And that there's way better ways to go about it than you have been.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't.

I was walking home from guild wars 2 and took a wrong turn. Now I'm back in the red-light district of MMO land.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pidgin is an IM client. I don't even know if it supports voice chat.

It does, and it's a feature I often hear brought up whenever Pidgin's mentioned in my presence.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My "whining and complaining" has done a lot more for this game than you realize. But you're just going to ignore what I said about communities supporting a sound suggestion that builds up enough support to get the devs to actually implement it, aren't you?

This is why I stopped trying to convince this community to do anything. We're all insane here. And I'm still here thinking that there is still enough players around who want to support eachother's ideas to get stuff to happen.

I get what you are trying to say, I am like you I wanted this game to better, and what did I get for my trouble but lied about and called a troll. This is one of the reasons I no longer visit these boards let alone post.
    People are happy with what they have that is great for them, for me no so much.

Back to the op, what caused me to leave City of., one I saw promise in this game and what this game could be. I played all the way from cb phase 1 to end of year 3. I even brought some of my City of. friends here. I liked that I could make my characters how I wanted them and the movement powers felt natural.
    Now that I am more or less retired from this game I am waiting for City of Titan, Valiance Online, and the return o City of Heroes/Villians.
  • novarockznovarockz Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's fun.

Customization

My SG

Killer-Spider

My other toons

My sg

I can make great fan base alpha comics with it.

Friends play it.

DCUO sucks

Marvel heroes play as one of the marvel toons not much creativity

CoH shut down

I believe champions still has a long long long way before going away

and because eventually and maybe not too soon, we could possibly get new story content.

Costume sets

SWINGING

Variety of super speed powers

Great AT's(Automaton, not so much)
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Throwing toilets at Messiah.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited February 2015
    Except you're not "supporting" anyone, you're leading the way with the problems YOU'VE decided are important, and when people don't flock to your banner, you call us all "insane". You might want to come to the realization that these things that are of utmost importance to you, simply aren't for a lot of people.

And that there's way better ways to go about it than you have been.

Was getting Aura Sets changed to unlock account wide not important? Was asking Cryptic why Mechanon's mission chain wasn't as long as they claimed it was not important? If you were indeed there supporting wanted changes, then what is your problem with what I'm saying now?

If you have a great idea I'll support the hell out of it. I only ask that you return the favor. However, the forum side of the community is too divided. Aura sets not being changed for the better is a testament to this. We lost that fight thanks in part to that division. So I'll just give up, let you talk me down, and just take part in being silent when something wrong comes up.

When a feature you want so bad gets added to the game but in a fashion that doesn't sit well with you that just seems antithesis to everything the game is about, you'll wish you had more people who supported what you want. I sure as well did.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For me it is mostly these two things: Very in-depth character customization (Look, Species, Gender, Powers) and that some RP still exists.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Was getting Aura Sets changed to unlock account wide not important? Was asking Cryptic why Mechanon's mission chain wasn't as long as they claimed it was not important? If you were indeed there supporting wanted changes, then what is your problem with what I'm saying now?

If you have a great idea I'll support the hell out of it. I only ask that you return the favor. However, the forum side of the community is too divided. Aura sets not being changed for the better is a testament to this. We lost that fight thanks in part to that division. So I'll just give up, let you talk me down, and just take part in being silent when something wrong comes up.

When a feature you want so bad gets added to the game but in a fashion that doesn't sit well with you that just seems antithesis to everything the game is about, you'll wish you had more people who supported what you want. I sure as well did.

What you're calling "too divided" is actually the forum community having different opinions as to what is important / acceptable. Just because not everyone in the community agrees with you doesn't automatically mean that they're against better changes.

Personally I'm indifferent to Aura sets "needing" to be acount-wide unlocks. In a business viewpoint I'm guessing the line regarding global unlocks has to be drawn somewhere since every costume pack available on the Z store are already global unlocks. Both auras and costumes are solely aesthetic too hence the comparison.

Besides, if aura sets were suddenly made global unlocks, players are going to demand refunds for multiple aura sets they have bought, and I don't think PWE / Cryptic is going to want to deal with that.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    Throwing toilets at Messiah.

video plz. add dubstep.
  • eukroeukro Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I still play Champions, because I have lots of friends who play.
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like the art style, that kind of started my interest. Like the customization. And I like this nutbag community.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I stayed with CO from launch until maybe 6 months ago. It's an awesome game. You can create any hero you (clones notwithstanding) want and kick ****. In terms of creativity the sky is the limit. That being said, everything has a shelf life.

Not enough content. Not enough challenge. Not enough players for queues to pop routinely.

That being said I got 5 years of fun out of it. All things considered that ain't bad by a damn sight.

Yeah I know, post may nay be appropriate. However, just because one leaves does not mean the person reviewing the product thinks it sucks or has no merit or blibbedy boo or whatever. If you havent downloaded it yet and are on the fence, dl it. Go gold if possible. If not get a decent AT. You'll have a pretty good time I'd wager.

((glad to see yall are well. there is no more lafury. not in la anymore and really just sad as opposed to angry or furious. bought a muscle car and a small ranch in southern washington. I guess I ordered the midlife crisis with a side order of Logan Sauce. I leave those last 2 words for you Biff, you may get mileage and traction for the the hell with Wolvy campaign provided you use those words correctly.))

Peace and best wishes. Goodbye.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I stayed with CO from launch until maybe 6 months ago. It's an awesome game. You can create any hero you (clones notwithstanding) want and kick ****. In terms of creativity the sky is the limit. That being said, everything has a shelf life.

Not enough content. Not enough challenge. Not enough players for queues to pop routinely.

That being said I got 5 years of fun out of it. All things considered that ain't bad by a damn sight.

Yeah I know, post may nay be appropriate. However, just because one leaves does not mean the person reviewing the product thinks it sucks or has no merit or blibbedy boo or whatever. If you havent downloaded it yet and are on the fence, dl it. Go gold if possible. If not get a decent AT. You'll have a pretty good time I'd wager.

((glad to see yall are well. there is no more lafury. not in la anymore and really just sad as opposed to angry or furious. bought a muscle car and a small ranch in southern washington. I guess I ordered the midlife crisis with a side order of Logan Sauce. I leave those last 2 words for you Biff, you may get mileage and traction for the the hell with Wolvy campaign provided you use those words correctly.))

Peace and best wishes. Goodbye.
    so you're finding that the crap on a farm is better than the city crap?
    at least it's fresh
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited February 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    so you're finding that the crap on a farm is better than the city crap?
    at least it's fresh
    LA stinks of diesel exhaust, underwashed people, dead sea life from the coast, and dust.

At least on a farm in southern Washington, especially if you're on the west side of the mountains, the smell will be primarily that of animals - much more tolerable. (On the east side in summertime, there can be the dust thing again, but usually not as bad as LA, and either way without the diesel and unwashed humans.)

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I agree. I haven't gotten that much out of some games that I paid sixty bucks for... and that wasn't "whenever you feel like it" bucks.. that was "pay that before you only end up playing this game for ten hours" bucks.

When you think about it, 15 bucks a month to play a game is the equivalent of buying one AAA title every four months. Once you start comparing actual number of hours played, the value sky rockets in favor of CO...

As an example Tomb Raider, the newest one. 5 hours played 20 bucks on Steam... so, 4 dollars per hour. On the other hand, CO 4052 hours (and that might not be counting quite a few when I played without Steam on).... I've put 150 bucks into the game, which means I paid 4 cents per hour.

Anyone else care to calculate out how much they've paid per hour of playing this game? People who have never spent any money on it can instead try to figure out how much free money they've earned through questionite > zen conversion :biggrin:
    DISCLAIMER: You still get to give your opinion about things even if you never spent any money.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Reasons I stuck with CO for so long:

1.) Depth of character customization
    2.) Lifetime Subscription
    3.) Nostalgia / attachment to toons
    4.) Self-denial about developer commitment to game

Leisure time is a fairly scarce resource, and up until recently, CO was the only MMO I played for the past 5 years or so. As Lafury alluded to, all games have a shelf life though, and sometimes it just feels like the writing is on the wall. I started playing MSH a few weeks ago and I'm finding it much more interesting and satisfying. I've taken long breaks from this game before and returned, so who knows.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    edited February 2015
    Well, my friend, all I can say is that if you find a Diablo-like playstyle more entertaining than this, we have very different tastes. I hope you continue to enjoy Marvel, though!

• xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because I like to get attention.

I like to talk about myself.

I like feeling over powered.

I payed for Lifetime.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    When you think about it, 15 bucks a month to play a game is the equivalent of buying one AAA title every four months. Once you start comparing actual number of hours played, the value sky rockets in favor of CO...

Before I went life I reckoned that my Gold subscription cost me the equivalent of 1 six pack of decent beer (that was the $10/month special rate). We all have our currency equivalents.

spinnytop wrote: »
    Anyone else care to calculate out how much they've paid per hour of playing this game? People who have never spent any money on it can instead try to figure out how much free money they've earned through questionite > zen conversion :biggrin:

Assuming my old $10/month rate, this game has been the best entertainment deal of the last few years for me. Going to 1 movie for a couple hours costs more than the subscription which gives many more hours of entertainment.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's F2P. There's no real need to distinguish between staying and leaving. When there's new content or an event it's easy enough to reinstall and play.

In the meantime... -leans back and sips a pina colada at an undisclosed getaway-
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The circus costs money, and the freakshow here is free.
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because I like poking Caliga and waving at him and pressing buttons on his Battle Sled— oops, I mean, Battle Wagon. Right? Battle Bath? Battle Bubble? Whatever…

("LOVE YOU UNCLE CALIGA!!!" — Aiko)

Oh, and went Lifetime in July '14.
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • matthewfrenchgermatthewfrenchger Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly, I would have to say the customization is awesome. Quite a number of the quest lines are solid. The gameplay is fun. In my opinion, out of all the mmo's i have played. Killing mobs is actually pretty fun because of the game play. I do take breaks. I play WOW, CO, EVE, and Pirates of the Burning Sea casually to obsessive. I have played Rifts, Guild Wars, Everquest, DDO, Neverwinter, LOTR and I am sure there are few I am forgetting. Regardless, CO is pretty awesome.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    It's F2P and easy to reinstall.

Even if all this "unmatched customisation" is actually seriously lacking for making any decent human characters thus actually being, in many aspects, clearly less advanced than in other games.

But hey, entertaining things I can read while looking into outlandish inhuman freaks - it's a game on its own! :D
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like to play GOD.

I mean seriously, I have created "life" to a degree. These characters in this game are as real to me as any Batman or Superman. Some of my toons are a little less known but when this game shuts down, I will still have these characters and their stories.