test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4 reasons Cyclops sucks :D

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
Reason 1 :

Cyclopsxmenbattle1.jpg

His movie actor has a face like a trout .

Reason 2 :

He has cheated on Jean Grey with almost every woman in the Marvel universe.

Reason 3 :

Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Preview_3.jpg

Speaking of which he hates Logan right but has romantic feelings towards his clone ...LOLWUT.

Reason 4 : His OPTIC EVERYTHING! in the Capcom beat em ups.

Now the reason why Cyclops is the greatest Comic Hero EVER!

latest?cb=20091106170313

He shot a T-rex in the face then gives it dental advice. The man is a legend.
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    you forgot he likes mind controllers.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's his eyes! His damned cursed eyes! How could Jean ever love him with his cursed eyes!

What a whiny dork, right from the beginning. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I hate him because he never even realizes what a terrible person he is, and never feels bad about anything he's done; he doesn't even realize he's done something wrong because he's only focused on what he wants.... his social vision is as narrow as the slit in his visor. Even in that one shot, he's just feeling sorry for himself.

That t-rex wasn't even hurting anyone, it was just minding it's business. Cyclops only shot it because girls were watching.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I think his score isn't that high.
    It's somewhere between 3-4.
    And 2 of them are/were clones.
    And him with the one of the clones is his younger self from the past. And, the Younger Scott has scored more than the older Scott. ..(hey it's X-men. Timetravel and crossing timestreams happens every wednesday)
    :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How do you cheat on someone who's dead? And Jean's been dead more times than just about anybody!

And then there are moments like this. Wolverine's about to go attack one of three Sentinels standing outside the X-Mansion, but Cyke holds him back - "I want these things off my lawn." Then this happens...

1308598-aston9bk_super_zpst1mapbpn.jpg
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    5. He kicked Xavier out of his own home and school.

6. He wound up turning terrorist eventually, stealing a few pages from Magneto's book.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    How do you cheat on someone who's dead? And Jean's been dead more times than just about anybody!

And then there are moments like this. Wolverine's about to go attack one of three Sentinels standing outside the X-Mansion, but Cyke holds him back - "I want these things off my lawn." Then this happens...

Every now and then I remember why Cyke's my favourite X-Man...

It's about time he got more radical and assertive. For a very long time he was harmed by Claremont's writing having Cyclops as a punching bag so writer can elevate his favourite pets instead.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    he never even realizes what a terrible person he is, and never feels bad about anything he's done; he doesn't even realize he's done something wrong because he's only focused on what he wants...

So not true. He wouldn't have become such a mess around the Inferno event if he didn't know he'd made some bad mistakes. Inferno put a ton of character into Cyclops. They freakin' beat the hell out of him.
    biffsig.jpg
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No 1. He's not Doom
    No 2. He's not Emma Frost
    No 3. He's not Dr. Strange
    No 4. He's not cool
    No 5. He sucks in Children of the Atom and god knows how many other Capcom Vs games, requiring way too much skill or just blind luck to play.
    No 6. Even Jubilee has cooler powers. And she just shoots fireworks.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
    edited February 2015
    Also, he'll never be as cool as Gambit.
    edited February 2015

Every now and then, the writers make it clear that the only reason the rest of the X-Men tolerate Cyclops is because he would be an even bigger pain in the butt if he went villain, cause his dumb emotional self would probably just run around without the goggles on then.

And you know what? While he's running around just letting full strength eye beams pour out of his face he would probably be thinking to himself "I'm doing the right thing. I'm a good person for doing this." even as he is literally staring directly at the pain and destruction he's causing.
    edited February 2015
    kojirohellfire sets the bar really low:

Also, he'll never be as cool as Gambit.

There's some "damning with faint praise". Yes, he's not as cool as Gambit. Everyone else is cooler than either one of them, though. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There's some "damning with faint praise". Yes, he's not as cool as Gambit. Everyone else is cooler than either one of them, though. :biggrin:

But Gambit has a trenchcoat. And an accent. And red eyes. And uses playing cards. And is a thief (or is it a Rogue in this edition of the game?)

I mean thats pretty much the definition of cool right ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited February 2015
    ashensnow wrote: »
    But Gambit has a trenchcoat. And an accent. And red eyes. And uses playing cards. And is a thief (or is it a Rogue in this edition of the game?)

You can tell he's cool because none of his powers or the way he fights exist in CO ._.
    edited February 2015

Psch. Philistine.
    edited February 2015
    ashensnow lists the flaws:

Hee! I could never warm up to a character that was based on what current accent got women hot. :tongue:

I blame Dennis Quaid in the Big Easy...
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    SOMEONE'S WRONG ON THE INTERNET!!!!!
    nepht wrote: »
    Reason 1 :

His movie actor has a face like a trout .

Are you trying to imply trouts can't be handsome? Shame on you. SHAAAAAME.
    Reason 2 :

Reason 3 :

Speaking of which he hates Logan right but has romantic feelings towards his clone ...LOLWUT.

Cyclops can't be blamed for making it summertime in the hearts of women everywhere. It's a burden he must bear.

#BasedSummers, #StupidSexySummers, #SummersTimeInYourHeart.

Reason 4 : His OPTIC EVERYTHING! in the Capcom beat em ups.

Sounds like someone needs to git gud. :tongue:
    Now the reason why Cyclops is the greatest Comic Hero EVER!

latest?cb=20091106170313

He shot a T-rex in the face then gives it dental advice. The man is a legend.

And broke the bat.

tumblr_mmtx34mI7U1rk7w2qo1_500_zpsyqzvdiob.jpg

He truly is the greatest.

:cool:

In all seriousness though, I'm a big fan of Cyclops. Despite his powers, he is incredibly realistic from a personality standpoint. He's up there with John Stewart as my favorite superheroes. Across their history, they have developed and changed in a way that, despite all the stunts and stuff tossed at them, is still sensible and seemingly well thought out. The evolution of their characters is not only one I can understand but can sympathize with.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's still a huge travesty with what they did with Cyclops in X3. I guess it made sense since Hugh Jackman being a huge star and having greatly popularized Wolvy's character that we might as well be calling it "Wolverine and the X-men", but ouch, I felt bad for Summers.

I've always liked Cyclops in a way. I don't read a lot of comic books and I'm not really current on what's been going on in the Marvel Universe, but I always did enjoy his and Wolvy's entertaining relationship based on their animosity towards each other.
    Hee! I could never warm up to a character that was based on what current accent got women hot. :tongue:

I blame Dennis Quaid in the Big Easy...

Oh...the accent is still um...current. :redface:

"Mon cheri" *melts*
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Every now and then, the writers make it clear that the only reason the rest of the X-Men tolerate Cyclops is because he would be an even bigger pain in the butt if he went villain, cause his dumb emotional self would probably just run around without the goggles on then.

And you know what? While he's running around just letting full strength eye beams pour out of his face he would probably be thinking to himself "I'm doing the right thing. I'm a good person for doing this." even as he is literally staring directly at the pain and destruction he's causing.

Have you been under a rock he has gone bad. He is the leader of The Brotherhood at the moment. Well the older version is. There is two Cyclops at the mo...both the same guy @_@
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited February 2015
    Given that Scott the Elder was possessed by the Phoenix Force (or anyway part of it) for a while, I'm not surprised he's being, well, kind of an aft sphincter. It can't be good for one's sense of perspective...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Given that Scott the Elder was possessed by the Phoenix Force (or anyway part of it) for a while, I'm not surprised he's being, well, kind of an aft sphincter. It can't be good for one's sense of perspective...
    He did carry the entire Phoenix Force towards the end of the Avengers vs X-men crossover. And he used it to kill Professor X when Charles tried to make him see reason.
    edited February 2015
    have You Been Under A Rock He Has Gone Bad. He Is The Leader Of The Brotherhood At The Moment. Well The Older Version Is. There Is Two Cyclops At The Mo...both The Same Guy @_@

Called It.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Charles tried to make him see reason.

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Because mentally attacking someone while agitating him while he is being attacked from all sides while he is wrangling with the full brunt of the Phoenix Force while he may or may not be wrangling with a shard of The Void is a good idea. That's like beating your dog and wondering why it's not listening to you. I mean really now.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Have you been under a rock he has gone bad. He is the leader of The Brotherhood at the moment. Well the older version is. There is two Cyclops at the mo...both the same guy @_@

Last I read he was leading a splinter group of X-Men (the ones that were possessed/host to the phoenix less colossus but including magneto who also some how got his powers screwed up but things get a bit vague there) they were out laws but were no where near brother hood of evil mutants type badness no mass slaughter of innocents or anything like that.

Unless were talking post AXIS not read that yet and it seems to have been used to screwed with quite a few characters (Carnage a good guy?)
    edited February 2015
    lestylo wrote: »
    A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Because mentally attacking someone while agitating him while he is being attacked from all sides while he is wrangling with the full brunt of the Phoenix Force while he may or may not be wrangling with a shard of The Void is a good idea. That's like beating your dog and wondering why it's not listening to you. I mean really now.
    Well, Charles had always been able to browbeat Scott into doing his bidding before...

edited February 2015
    Well, Charles had always been able to browbeat Scott into doing his bidding before...

Some men only understand force. Scott Summers is one of those boys.
    edited February 2015
    Last I read he was leading a splinter group of X-Men (the ones that were possessed/host to the phoenix less colossus but including magneto who also some how got his powers screwed up but things get a bit vague there) they were out laws but were no where near brother hood of evil mutants type badness no mass slaughter of innocents or anything like that.

Unless were talking post AXIS not read that yet and it seems to have been used to screwed with quite a few characters (Carnage a good guy?)

Yeah Summer's Brotherhood are less "evil" . Magneto's powers are fine what turned out that happened is Beast injected Magneto with nanomachines. These nanomachines have brought Magneto's powers down from omega level mutant to standard level mutant, this isnt permanent as the nanomachines will eventully wear out. Seems Beast wanted old Mag's to live in the shoes of a "normal" mutant for a bit :P

( to be honest it was so Marvel could do a Magneto book as having one of the MU's most powerful mutants rip sh*t up every 2 weeks would get sorta boring )

2543931-9094181336-OXLd6.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Ugh...using nanites is currently at the top of the "Lazy Sci-Fi Writing Techniques" list.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    Ugh...using nanites is currently at the top of the "Lazy Sci-Fi Writing Techniques" list.

This is the only logical response to the trend of stupid Sci-Fi writing seen in comic books in recent months.
    edited February 2015

I liked when comics didn't bother explain things with science so much.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    I liked when comics didn't bother explain things with science so much.
    Like Hank's original screwup that left him all blue and hairy. He'd developed a "serum" to temporarily suppress mutant powers. For some reason, when he tried it on himself, it exaggerated his powers, and made certain physical alterations too. Why? Because screw you, that's why. It just happened that way.

Rogue used to have only the ability to temporarily drain others of their powers and use them herself. Then one day, while fighting the then-Ms Marvel (now Captain Marvel), her powers somehow interacted with the Nega-Bands to permanently grant her the same powers as Carol had. Why? Why not? Explanations get in the way of fisticuffs, you know?

"Nanomachines" indeed...

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    back in the day everything could be explained away with rays...

you had death rays, freeze rays, heat rays, magnetic rays, hypno rays, shrink rays, vita rays, gamma rays... surely some mad genius could have invented a mutant depowering ray.
    edited February 2015
    Like Hank's original screwup that left him all blue and hairy. He'd developed a "serum" to temporarily suppress mutant powers. For some reason, when he tried it on himself, it exaggerated his powers, and made certain physical alterations too. Why? Because screw you, that's why. It just happened that way.

Rogue used to have only the ability to temporarily drain others of their powers and use them herself. Then one day, while fighting the then-Ms Marvel (now Captain Marvel), her powers somehow interacted with the Nega-Bands to permanently grant her the same powers as Carol had. Why? Why not? Explanations get in the way of fisticuffs, you know?

"Nanomachines" indeed...

Aren't serum and nanomachines effectively interchangeable as depthless plot devices? Like poison, or toxic waste.

"Gerf Man was a normal man until he touched some ________ and gained the power to fly and shoot projectiles". Insert any of them in there.

Nanomachines doesn't stand out just because it happens to be hip.
    edited February 2015
    Nanomachines is Midichlorians.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    back in the day everything could be explained away with rays...

you had death rays, freeze rays, heat rays, magnetic rays, hypno rays, shrink rays, vita rays, gamma rays... surely some mad genius could have invented a mutant depowering ray.
    Oh, and classic Captain America - a serum and a ray, and they both had to be used together or it would Go Wrong. And then the ray machine was broken, the serum formula lost, and the guy who came up with them killed.

I miss rays sometimes...

edited February 2015
    Nanomachines is Midichlorians.
    And Midichlorians suck. Trying to give a scientific basis to something outlandish is unnecessary. Let's just zap Mags with a "psychic magnetic inhibitor beam" and call it good, like back in the Good Ol' Days...

Now you kids git offa mah lawn!!

edited February 2015
    How does a helmet protect you from telepathy anyway? Did Xavier never get the idea to just go up through the neck?
    edited February 2015
    And Midichlorians suck. Trying to give a scientific basis to something outlandish is unnecessary. Let's just zap Mags with a "psychic magnetic inhibitor beam" and call it good, like back in the Good Ol' Days...

I actually didn't mind the Midichlorians (I'm one of four people in the world that didn't take the prequels as an insult) but I just liked how in older comics they didn't try to explain everything away with real-world logic. Radioactive spider is all I need to know. I don't want to know what kind of experiments were being done, what the beam was made of, etc. Just ruins the fun.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015

Meh, Midichlorians were just Force-sensitive mitochondria. Like Biff, they really didn't bother me that much. There was a much louder, annoying (and disturbingly racist) addition to the series that I had already spent all my ire on. Thankfully he was toned down significantly in the later two movies.
    edited February 2015
    I didn't mind Jar Jar. If I were to start nit-picking Star Wars characters, I'd start with Golden Robot Butler.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Meh, Midichlorians were just Force-sensitive mitochondria. Like Biff, they really didn't bother me that much. There was a much louder, annoying (and disturbingly racist) addition to the series that I had already spent all my ire on. Thankfully he was toned down significantly in the later two movies.

Meesa thinka yoa don'ta okay I can't keep that up it makes me want to murder myself with a hatchet.
    edited February 2015
    I didn't mind Jar Jar. If I were to start nit-picking Star Wars characters, I'd start with Golden Robot Butler.
    What, you've got a problem with flamboyantly camp robots?

• taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah Summer's Brotherhood are less "evil" . Magneto's powers are fine what turned out that happened is Beast injected Magneto with nanomachines. These nanomachines have brought Magneto's powers down from omega level mutant to standard level mutant, this isnt permanent as the nanomachines will eventully wear out. Seems Beast wanted old Mag's to live in the shoes of a "normal" mutant for a bit :P

( to be honest it was so Marvel could do a Magneto book as having one of the MU's most powerful mutants rip sh*t up every 2 weeks would get sorta boring )

2543931-9094181336-OXLd6.jpg

Beast again? would some one please just shoot him in the head I mean seriously every time something go's pair shaped he's some how involved he's a bigger threat to the continued existence of life on earth than any and all the bad guys put together.
    edited February 2015
    What, you've got a problem with flamboyantly camp robots?

No, but like I said, if I'm going to start nitpicking characters, Golden Robot Butler gets the axe first.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    Honestly it was the little kid that bugged me the most...

what is this the Ewok Adventure?

(actually in all of them anakin was the worst...)

~on topic!~
    Cyclops was sorta cool in Astonishing X-Men( I saw the motion comic on Netflix :O ) ...

otherwise he is pretty bland in my opinion...which makes all his shortcomings and missteps stand out even more...

but for the record the only x-man I give a single care about is Nightcrawler.
    edited February 2015
    No, but like I said, if I'm going to start nitpicking characters, Golden Robot Butler gets the axe first.

But if you cut C-3PO, who's R2-D2 (badass on wheels) going to cuss at?
    edited February 2015
    Beast again? would some one please just shoot him in the head I mean seriously every time something go's pair shaped he's some how involved he's a bigger threat to the continued existence of life on earth than any and all the bad guys put together.

Oh I toned down the stupid by not mentioning the full set of events :D

Its was DARK BEAST that did it......... Thats a thing seriously.
    edited February 2015
    biffsmackwell can see it's all in the method:

I actually didn't mind the Midichlorians (I'm one of four people in the world that didn't take the prequels as an insult) but I just liked how in older comics they didn't try to explain everything away with real-world logic. Radioactive spider is all I need to know. I don't want to know what kind of experiments were being done, what the beam was made of, etc. Just ruins the fun.

If I want real science in my comics, I'll read Julius Swartz's old Flash comics. There's science in your comics done right. A quick Flash Fact and then move on. I LOVED that as a kid (still do, actually).
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    Oh I toned down the stupid by not mentioning the full set of events :D

Its was DARK BEAST that did it......... Thats a thing seriously.

AoA Beast!!! :O

He did a lot of terrible things...