test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you like to pretend?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
So someone recently made a very disparaging statement about "pretending" while playing this game. That seems odd to me, considering how imagination-powered the core game play mechanics of this game are. I know that I personally like to play pretend in the game sometimes, usually by pretending my character is on a mission or doing something that is in some way meaningful, when they actually aren't. For example with my soldier I would pretend that they weren't so much a hero as they were a poacher, going around Monster Island and sniping manimals to sell their hides. It genuinely increased the amount of fun I was having while just randomly blasting things after having already hit max level (and this was post the old crafting system). I also got excited recently while leveling my mentalist character when it came time to do some missions in the Psi-infected part of millenium city because I could start dreaming up personal motivations for my character to be there...maybe that makes me a dork, but I'm fine with that.

Anyone else around like to pretend and use their imagination while playing this game to, in at least a small way, fill the content gap for yourself?
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pretending.
    Isn't that the whole point of MMORPG...
    When you put on the mask or tie on the ringmail bikini, you pretend to be someone you're not "IRL".
    Or how many of us, the player community of CO, plays as themselfs?
    Or do i pretend in a game thats all about pretending allready?...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    unless they had a generic character costume and a random name. They are already pretending.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• witchgunwitchgun Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well I like to 'get into character' even if its only in my head I like to make stories but then I am one of them creative types. Being fond of writing it is inevitable that I would make stories for my characters.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I pretend that my Cyclops-inspired female hero is actually firing her force and fire blasts from her tech visor.

I pretend that the vehicles my heroes use are parked somewhere when not in use, and can be remote-controlled when needed instead of just "popping up".

I pretend that my Voudon priestess' name is feared amongst the Sovereign Sons because she has made them her no. 1 sworn enemies.

I pretend that some of my heroes' costumes / suits actually have protective benefits even when it's really just the defensive passives doing it.

I pretend that they have actual personalities and aren't just lifeless constructs made of 1's and 0's.

Can't think of any more at the moment.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    So someone recently made a very disparaging statement about "pretending" while playing this game.

What was the "disparaging" statement?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • summerfields#1113 summerfields Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do I pretend that my heroes are doing other things than the intended mission / quest? Why, yes. Of course.

* I pretend that Fantomask is still fighting her nemesis, Death Mask's, ninja minions.

* I pretend that Jacqui (previously Starfury) that she is fighting beings stronger than she is but she still can kick their asses!

* I pretend that Kagemusha is having her Heavy Sword is on her back rather than a samurai sword.

All the while listening to epic music. :smile:
    [ @Skaargoroth in-game / @summerfields on the Forums ]
    Current character roaster: The Iconica, Lady Mythica, Black Jackal, Omni-Woman, Fantomask
    Currently waiting for: Moar comics! And maybe City of Titans, too. Hopefully!
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I pretend that the heal Turando uses is a sort of Medigun, and not Arcane Vitality. Would be cool if I didn't have to fill in the blank like that though. I'm using obviously magic abilities on a tech-based character, and that irks me to no end.

Hmm... I pretend that each of my characters has some important duty, but in reality all they do is run in circles around RenCen.

I pretend that my dragon characters are actually using their mouth to use their breaths instead of sneezing them.

I pretend that Tae's mixture of Celestial, Telepathic, Force, and Wind abilities are really Water.

I pretend that few of my characters' fates intertwine with each other every once in a while.

In short: In the world of make-believe, being imaginative helps you stick with it.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When I answers the door, I like to 'fly' over and make engine noises. When I play games, I just like to stab / shoot things. Sometimes I add my own effect noises or say not nice things to the monitor, since I normally have the sound off. Mostly, I save pretending for real life. My fun in games is in the building and then seeing how that works out, not in the pretending to do stuff and things.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pretendomg1.jpg
    F YEAH!

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

One of the biggest problems with a lot of adults is that they've forgotten the simple joys like pretending. No need to go through one's life with a stick up the butt. It just makes you walk funny.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I absolutely enjoy pretending while playing the game, aka role-playing. I try to give my characters motivations unique to each character.

My bounty-hunter obviously wants to get paid well in exchange for whatever “good deed” he’s been asked to perform. He particularly enjoys going to his hideout after running a few jobs to deposit his pay. In between bounties, he’s been known to perform, shall we say, a little ‘for-profit freelance vigilantism’ by raiding the hangouts/compounds of known criminals even when they have no bounties out for them just so he can ‘confiscate’ any ill-gotten resources they have on hand. Of course, he puts in an anonymous call to MCPD/UNTIL afterwards to lead them to arrest the now defeated criminals.

I just started a new alt that I plan to build up like a Judgebot. He is supposed to be a Munitions Bot, ala the Gadgeteering power, who gained sentience as a consequence of freak accident during a terrible battle between his creator and a mad-scientist villain which left his creator dead and the villain on the loose (guess who is first nemesis will be?). Now sentient he is still influenced by his pre-existing programming, so he still doesn’t see himself as a super hero but rather a means to support the “real super heroes”. This motivates him to trying to group for missions and/or do alerts, while doing as little soloing as possible. When I do have to solo on him due to IRL constraints on my time/attention, I pretend that he views his current mission as being specifically tasked to him alone and/or doesn’t warrant the full attention of actual super heroes.

Of course, I wish I could do a few things in-game to enhance my role-playing experience. For example, I wish I could make my bounty-hunter’s fire-breath shoot out of his forearm rather than his mouth. I wish I could turn my Munitions Bot character’s right arm into a minigun instead of having his minigun appear on and disappear from his shoulder. I wish I could turn the Circle of Arcane Power (or any “Circle of __”) into a floating technological device instead of magical runes. Things like that.

And, of course, in my opinion, the ultimate role-playing enhancing feature they could add to the game would be a Foundry/Architect/Mission-creator feature. Then I could actually make in-game missions with stories to match my character’s motivations. I’d love to actually make a real mission in which my bounty hunter is tipped off by a snitch about a drug deal going down, shows up at a warehouse in the dead of night, defeats the bad guys, destroys the drugs, “confiscates” the duffel bag full of cash, then leaves and sends an anonymous message to MCPD about two gangs fighting each other at the warehouse. Police show up to find the gang members all knocked out, they’re all wanted for various crimes so they’re all arrested. Win-win all around and my bounty hunter heads back to this hide-out to enjoy a cold beverage while counting out all the resources he just ‘earned’.
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Of course I play pretend. Reality is boring.

Ask me about Kilbern sometime. Or Hypernova. Or even Vincit Omnia, a war cherub who fires golden arrows that force his foes to submit (did some research on Cupid for February, found out that some myths have him as the son of Ares and Aphrodite, and ran with it).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Of course I play pretend. Reality is boring.

Ask me about Kilbern sometime. Or Hypernova. Or even Vincit Omnia, a war cherub who fires golden arrows that force his foes to submit (did some research on Cupid for February, found out that some myths have him as the son of Ares and Aphrodite, and ran with it).

I would but I never see you in game, where the heck do you play? :|

jennymachx wrote: »
    I pretend that my Cyclops-inspired female hero is actually firing her force and fire blasts from her tech visor.

For the longest time I thought doing this was actually a feature that gold players enjoy >.> I'm still not sure how I ever got that idea in my head...

Since I don't have power coloring, I have to use my imagination to justify some weird color combinations sometimes ^.^;

What was the "disparaging" statement?

They got all mad at me because I said that people should pretend in game and tried to make it sound like I was doing something wrong by saying that. I don't want to specify because that might count as naming'n'shaming or whatever it's called.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I pretend that Ratty hasn't pooped in everyone's cereal..........today.
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pretending is half the fun with this game.

Deathwish isn't killing rerunning steel crusade for tokens, he's colleting bounties on Mechanon's orbital bases.

Dr. Bugly isn't just stopping Thinktank's deathray, he's taking notes on its design.

Sam Hain isn't fighting crime, he's feeding.

Pretending is why I'm still aying after five years :)
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I do a bit of internal role-playing with my characters, some more than others. Pretending seems like a natural part of this game so I'd be hard-pressed to imagine someone not pretending even a little bit. In the end, yeah I like to pretend.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
    edited February 2015
    I pretend CO isn't like a private server for WoW.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Anyone who doesn't like to pretend while playing this game is utterly missing the point. They're probably the idiots running around in the default tights.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Of course :D

fluffehNepht_zpsadd779db.jpg

Oh sh@t are we talking in game >_>?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited February 2015
    Anyone who doesn't like to pretend while playing this game is utterly missing the point. They're probably the idiots running around in the default tights.

That's how I feel... minus calling them idiots >_>

Just playing this game for straight progression or mechanics... I'm not sure how anyone could retain interest for more than a few hours.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    However, Biff's point, in the thread you spun this off from, was that the pretending shouldn't have to be all on our end; otherwise, we might as well just be sitting here being Tommy Westphall.

The initial leveling experience, for instance, involves fighting Purple Gangsters in Westside. My character might have any one of a near-infinite number of motivations for doing so (Happifun was apprehending miscreants per programming, Kilbern was beginning to gather acclaim and thus power, Vincit Omnia was pacifying the streets before moving up...), but it's the same basic experience. It's far harder to pretend, say, that these aren't actually Purple Gangsters, but low-level VIPER functionaries who haven't been issued their greens yet. You could, but it doesn't really make any sense storywise.

On the other tentacle, you do have to pretend that this isn't the same series of missions that every other hero, including your previous alts, have done, else the Prison in MC would have to be even more porous than the Joker's cell at Arkham. So "let's pretend" factors in there. You can even come up with excuses why the "Help a Citizen" missions factor into the main story line, if you wish. But it would help a lot if the main story line had some more variety in it (especially in VB! One grows so weary of cleaning out identical crypts over and over...).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills invokes the snow globe:

However, Biff's point, in the thread you spun this off from, was that the pretending shouldn't have to be all on our end; otherwise, we might as well just be sitting here being Tommy Westphall.

You mean I'm not? :eek:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    Of course :D

fluffehNepht_zpsadd779db.jpg

Oh sh@t are we talking in game >_>?

Don't you have a Bond villain's lap to sit in?
    edited February 2015
    That's how I feel... minus calling them idiots >_>

Just playing this game for straight progression or mechanics... I'm not sure how anyone could retain interest for more than a few hours.

I'm a harsh, unloving *****. Simply, if they're running around in the default tights, I'm going to consider them a waste.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I will answer the OP by simply saying this: One of my characters is a Machine from Cyber Hell as it were. Its design is to destroy evil machinery and their creators and drag them to the eternal scrapheap. So needless to say I maxed them when the Steel Crusade hit and loved every moment of giving Mechanon the business with them.
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    troll3.jpg

Obvious clickbait to the RP community, a 5 for being so blatant.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't think this is trollbait at all. Spinny is many things, but a troll isn't one of them.

Obviously anyone in the RP community or part of any RP group, enjoys pretending and some are more upfront about it than others, but I never really understood the crowd who put down RPers.

True story time.

About eight or so years ago, I once send a PM [in brackets since I was making the message OOCly] to someone in CoH to tell them "Nice costume", and the reply back was a rude, scathing and harshe language filled diatribe at me to never send them anything with brackets ever again, they hated Role-players and had a message in their characters biography space saying that they would report and try to ban any RPers thay came across, even if just RPing in Local. Their Bio did indeed say such a thing, but .. holy cow, man, All I did was say "nice costume."

Seriously, F that guy and anyone like him.. These are called MMORPGs for a reason, it's right on the tin.

He did report me and a GM contacted me to ask me about it... I told him what was up, the GM shared a laugh with me, and that was that.

Oh, and this was on Virtue. The only reason a Non-RPer troll would even be there would be to bait RPers.

I do not think that Spinny is doing anything like this here. Even if he is a Stinkybutt. :tongue:
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes I go into Club Caprice and pretend I have a huge dic...tionary. Does that count?
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You've gotta pretend!

pretend_zpsww5mbbze.png
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

I don't understand. What is the other end where the pretending could be taking place?

I would say what I think about the point Biff was making, but I'm sure that would count as questioning a moderator action since he closed the thread with that comment, so I can't do that. So, as much as I would like to discuss that with you, I think it's against the rules for me to do so.

foxyperson wrote: »

Obvious clickbait to the RP community, a 5 for being so blatant.

No need to step into non-existent cross hairs. I rp occasionally. I know you guys are used to being attacked, but that's not happening here.
  • cheelanghocheelangho Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not really much into roleplaying, but since i own 4 hideouts i like to pretend each one has a diferent purpose depending on the toon i'm playing:

Nightshot (my Nightwing homage and Marksman AT) keep hideouts ready in multiple locations: His Millenium City penthouse, a secret underground base at Vibora Bay and aconditioned natural caves at Desert, Canada and Monster Island

Ghostlinger (Ghost Cowboy, Soldier AT) tends to hang at an abandoned desert bunker near his original burial site.

Galatea (UNTIL Agent, Specialist AT) does the same as Nightshot, except that the underground bases are official UNTIL bunkers.

Louie (Casper inspired character... he's a "friendly lich" :confused:, Void AT) stays at an abandoned mansion at Vibora that has some sort of natural mystic barriers that keeps his powers stable.

My Luchadores, Brazo de Bronce ("Bronze Arm", Behemoth) and El Espectro ("The Spectre", Master AT and totally unrelated to DC's character) each has his own subterranean base complete with wacky gadgetry as per Luchador Cinema tradition:biggrin:
    SIGNATURE.
  • vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, i think that pretend is one of the most fun parts of this game, actually, i wish i could RP, the only reasons that i don't are, my english is not that good (it's enough to a basic comunication, but, for something more complex like RP it's a real challenge) and... well. i sucks as acting XD

However i always pretend internally while i'm playing.

In some cases it don't interfere my gameplay style, for example:

- Everytime that i have to go to Lemuria i pretend that my characters are using some kind of hight thech scuba suit (Except for Snowy, she can breathe underwater because, well, she's a fish XD)

- In some cases, my Nemesis are already know of my heroes, so i just ignore the part of " i don't know who the hell are you, but i'm gona kill you" from the Museum mission

-All my toons are AT, so, i can't change their build or stats when change costume, but, on the ones that have a transformation, i pretend that i have some kind influence on their powers

And, some pretendings really changes my way of play the game, like:

- I pretend that the devil form of Snowy is more... cold blooded, heartless and even cruel, that's why i always kill the enemys the same way, when their HP is below 25%, i stop atack, just trap them into a ice cage i watch they slowly froze till the death

- i have a character that sure of fear of heighs, Chira Desmond, this way, i always avoid climb high places with her, even having the atletics TP (except when i'm really boring, the i just jump over the Gran Cannyon with no problem)

- Oh, and still with Chira, she is a vampire, but, i avoid to use bite powers on zombies because, c'mon, they are decomposing XD
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I roleplay so yes I pretend. Pretending is way more fun. I use the moon base as a farm because there is a lack anywhere else better to do such. Inside is the house, and outside is the farm. :D it is fun.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited February 2015
    bwdares wrote: »
    I roleplay so yes I pretend. Pretending is way more fun. I use the moon base as a farm because there is a lack anywhere else better to do such. Inside is the house, and outside is the farm. :D it is fun.

o.o ...what do you farm on the moon? Moon pies?
    edited February 2015
    No need to step into non-existent cross hairs. I rp occasionally. I know you guys are used to being attacked, but that's not happening here.

Do you have me on ignore, perchance?

I only ask because you took the time to reply to all the other people here, but flat ignored my post completely.. and I was defending you.

So, you know. Color me confused.
    edited February 2015
    iamrune wrote: »
    Do you have me on ignore, perchance?

I only ask because you took the time to reply to all the other people here, but flat ignored my post completely.. and I was defending you.

So, you know. Color me confused.

I don't think we can ignore each other here on the forums... at least not without some fancy script that I am way too lazy to figure out.

I read your post... I just didn't have a response >.>; you were correct in your assertion that I'm not trolling. You're apparently one of the few around here capable of doing that.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't think we can ignore each other here on the forums... at least not without some fancy script that I am way too lazy to figure out.

I read your post... I just didn't have a response >.>; you were correct in your assertion that I'm not trolling. You're apparently one of the few around here capable of doing that.

HOLY S**T! Foxi being nice @_@"

Dat mirror universe .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited February 2015
    you guys are silly. and I understand, I suppose.

When you wear the mask of a clown too long, people begin to assume it's all you are.
    edited February 2015
    Jesters are for making poignant commentary beneath the guise of tomfoolery. Sometimes you have to look deeper than the surface. :wink:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I pretend, sometimes in-game, sometimes in my head, sometimes in full-on RP. Every six months real-time, I age Aiko one year in game-time, so she just celebrated her 11th birthday on Valentines' Day.

I love playing Aiko. When she enters costume contests, it's Aiko entering the contests, not me. I just help design the outfits that she wears to them.

And then reality recently made me think. I remembered seeing a page sample from the original Kick **** comic book, showing Kick **** all bloodied up after basically being ganked by a bunch of heavies. And it made me suddenly much more protective of Aiko. I mean, sure, she can pulse a million volts through anyone that comes close, and fly, and she can lift a security van over her head and throw it, but she's STILL just eleven years old! It made me remember Elastigirl's advice to her children on Syndrome's secret island (slight paraphrasing):
    "These aren't the villains from your cartoons: they won't exercise restraint because you are children. They will try to KILL you!"

Which reminds us WHY we play this game: because we love superheroes. We play the game because, in some visceral way, we live a fantasy through them. My paranoia about some unscripted beatings for little Aiko notwithstanding, she's still my go-to character for RP, even during costume contests.

So the next time you consider heading into Club Caprice to start trolling RPers there, stop and think on WHY they are in there. Sure, there's that small group that are in there to find a partner for some private little eRP scene, but there are many in there still, with established, regular, superhero characters, that are in the club because the club is for superheroes! It's THE place to be when you're a meta letting off steam or letting down your hair, or just there to knock back a couple of barrels of beer, or extra-large rum & Nucola.

Heck, even though many people see Caprice as a 'bad' place, we all seem to remember NOT to fall into the fountain in the lounge because it might make us pregnant – regardless of our gender or species!
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
    edited February 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    HOLY S**T! Foxi being nice @_@"

Dat mirror universe .

I'm always nice, certain people just have self-hating imaginations u3u
    edited February 2015
    sapphiechu wrote: »
    So the next time you consider heading into Club Caprice to start trolling RPers there, stop and think on WHY they are in there. Sure, there's that small group that are in there to find a partner for some private little eRP scene,

you make it sound like erping is a bad thing. I mean hey, that stuff is part of super heroes too... just look at Scott Summers, The One-Eyed Monster... er.. I mean, Cyclops o3o
  • necratech009necratech009 Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've gotta say that this is the best thread ever!
    Let me quote Einstein "Imagination is more improtant than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

Pretending pushes us ahead. We try to create what we have imagined. What is to come?....I can only imagine.:smile:
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop is so insulting:

I'm always nice, certain people just have self-hating imaginations u3u

HEY! I don't have to use my imagination to hate myself!

:biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I pretend all the time and, seem to be really good at it too because a lot of people I know seem to believe that I actually care what their opinions are.
    edited February 2015
    Jesters are for making poignant commentary beneath the guise of tomfoolery. Sometimes you have to look deeper than the surface. :wink:

Indeed. It was not unheard of for a King to ask his court jester for an opinion on political matters. Comedy has always been a tool for social commentary.