What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SOE Sold

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Off Topic

Comments

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Smedley also assured players via Twitter that all of the games in the company's portfolio are staying and will continue to be a part of the new company.

I wonder how long this will be true, "business promises" and all that. Should I start kissing my seldom used DCUO characters good-bye? lol
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lestylo wrote: »
    I wonder how long this will be true, "business promises" and all that. Should I start kissing my seldom used DCUO characters good-bye? lol
    I would assume that whatever level of support you're used to, will get worse after the layoffs (not that SOE support has a great reputation, but there's always room to get worse). However, they may prefer to bleed games until dry rather than kill them off, in which case your games are probably at least as safe as they were under SOE.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would assume that whatever level of support you're used to, will get worse after the layoffs (not that SOE support has a great reputation, but there's always room to get worse). However, they may prefer to bleed games until dry rather than kill them off, in which case your games are probably at least as safe as they were under SOE.
    you know, it is possible they are partnering with smedley to go independent of sony. I'm kind of interested since i was looking cautiously at eqn, dont like the free to play garbage, but the game seems to be trying some new things...if its not strangled by the f2p set-up. and an optimistic reading would be that this may give them more freedom without being tied to sony who seems to be doing well with their console business but is losing money on a lot of other fronts.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rianfrost wrote: »
    you know, it is possible they are partnering with smedley to go independent of sony.
    It's possible, but usually 'sold to venture capital' means 'round of layoffs coming'. Particularly when it's a money-losing business.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pretty much the end for DCUO. WB wont let a bunch of nobodys mess around with their stuff >_>

But then WB already has its DC MOBA out so yeah they prob thinking of nuking DCUO for some time.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's possible, but usually 'sold to venture capital' means 'round of layoffs coming'. Particularly when it's a money-losing business.

It's Sony. Everything that's not Playstation or insurance is losing money. Hence the spin-off. And Smedley is already hyping Xbox ports, so if Columbus Nova is considering layoffs or budget cuts, somebody is starting out way, way off script.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    Pretty much the end for DCUO. WB wont let a bunch of nobodys mess around with their stuff >_>

But then WB already has its DC MOBA out so yeah they prob thinking of nuking DCUO for some time.

You're probably wrong

DCUO has around five times more activity than CO and their new content released in May '14, January '14 and September '13 is all pay to play.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ATARI sells CRYPTIC.
    thud.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ALL MMOs ARE CANCELLED!

And replaced with a Persona MMOs.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ALL MMOs ARE CANCELLED!

Or city builder/attacker freemium games... which get Super Bowl Ads, for Pete's sake.

Edit: As per the topic, sort of.

If I were to compare SOE/Daybreak and Cryptic/PWE, then Next would definitely be Neverwinter (new hotness) and DCUO would be Star Trek (money IP).

I don't know who would be CO, Planetside maybe.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
    edited February 2015
    artmanpwe wrote: »
    Or city builder/attacker freemium games... which get Super Bowl Ads, for Pete's sake.

That's IT! Champions Online Super Bowl ads!

[flash forward to Super Bowl 50]

Josh Gad and Rachael Dratch in bad Defender & Witchcraft cosplay? Who thought this was a good idea? [slowly backs away]
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Josh Gad and Rachael Dratch in bad Defender & Witchcraft cosplay? Who thought this was a good idea? [slowly backs away]

LOL, Hey now! If Scarlett Johansson will do a nobody flavored-water SB commercial, then surely she'll sink low enough to do a superhero commercial role... wait...
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
    edited February 2015
    No shut up. I wanna live my fantasy where I can hang out with my high school friends AND internet friends AND SOCIAL LINK GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh yeah and killing monstars in a TV/Dream World/Evil Tower that only appears at Midnight

ALL TO A FULL J-POP SOUNDTRACK!
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
    edited February 2015
    You're probably wrong

DCUO has around five times more activity than CO and their new content released in May '14, January '14 and September '13 is all pay to play.

Nothing to do with how many playing. CoH had more players than CO look what happened to that. DCUO is screwed due to lawyers @_@"
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited February 2015

Spend 9 million dollars for an 2 minute add with Liam Neeson on it.(That's how finnish gamecompanies roll)
    PROFIT!
    edited February 2015
    Pretty much the end for DCUO.

Maybe this is why Cryptic doesn't bother with advertising. At some point they realized all the other MMOs are just gonna die off and eventually they'll get all the players just by being the only one left alive.

i.e. how the zombie apocalypse and repopulating the earth will work. That skinny wimp who's really good at going unnoticed won't have to convince any girls to sleep with him... cause all the big dumb jocks, braindead models, and worthless musicians will all be dead. Same for the girl side... there won't be any Kardashians after the ZA.
    edited February 2015
    zombies: Braaaainnsss...braaaiinnnsss..
    kardashians: eeek! zombies!
    zombies: No braaaiiinssss....no braaaiiinsss...
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ALL MMOs ARE CANCELLED!

There is a MegaTen MMO.

It might be hard for people to come to CO for their superhero needs if they don't know the game exists.

I've never been much of a SoE fan, so I can't say that I care.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited February 2015
    sterga wrote: »
    There is a MegaTen MMO.

It might be hard for people to come to CO for their superhero needs if they don't know the game exists.

I've never been much of a SoE fan, so I can't say that I care.

But that's MegaTen.. Persona's waaaay different. And easier.
    edited February 2015
    But that's MegaTen.. Persona's waaaay different.

All of my facepalms go to you.
    edited February 2015
    All of my facepalms go to you.

It is >.> Persona is a spinoff series that has more LifeSim elements which tie in to the overall RPG and has little to nothing to do with demons, instead dealing with the darkside of the characters and their control of it through their Personas. It's also WAY easier than a MegaTen.
    edited February 2015
    Instead of having demons fight by your side, you summon them. The biggest difference is in story theme not gameplay.
    edited February 2015
    The biggest difference is gameplay. SMT has NO social/sim aspects whereas Persona basically revolves around being a Sim with the RPG elements taking a backseat. And Personas are constantly hammered to be like demons only in abilities. They exist only in "the sea of the soul", taking on the appearance of true feelings of the summoner; hence why every Party Member's persona resembles the boss (their Shadow Selves) you beat to gain it. Demons in SMT are actual living beings from Hell that you have to bargain with/Threaten to get them to join you.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The core gameplay of both SMT and Persona has always been dungeon-crawling, collecting new demons / personas, levelling to be able to use higher level demons / personas plus their attacks and to fuse different ones to create new ones. Heck, attacks and their names are similar in both franchises, so is using them to exploit enemy weaknesses.

After all, you can only beat the game whenever you reach the final dungeon level to meet the final boss.

Gameplay for both is similar with very small differences. Themes and story premises would be the defining differences. Gameplay outside of the dungeon-crawling like Persona's social sim seems to be secondary. Not like that's a bad thing though, Persona's social sim is why I prefer it over SMT.

Also huge hype for Persona 5.
    edited February 2015
    The biggest difference is gameplay. SMT has NO social/sim aspects whereas Persona basically revolves around being a Sim with the RPG elements taking a backseat. And Personas are constantly hammered to be like demons only in abilities. They exist only in "the sea of the soul", taking on the appearance of true feelings of the summoner; hence why every Party Member's persona resembles the boss (their Shadow Selves) you beat to gain it. Demons in SMT are actual living beings from Hell that you have to bargain with/Threaten to get them to join you.

This is all 100% accurate. Your gameplay analysis skills are a bit more sharp than some around here it would seem. Most people wouldn't be able to see the nuances and would just say both games are exactly the same.
    edited February 2015
    Well I overlooked Persona's Social Links system. That itself could be considered just as important a gameplay aspect like dungeon-crawling is, since it also affects just how quickly your Personas level up and get new abilities.

Now I'm tempted to have another go at Persona 3 Portable as female protagonist. Maybe aim for Junpei Stupei as husbano this time around. :tongue: (EDIT: nevermind, apparently can't. Maybe Akihiko then.)
    edited February 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Well I overlooked Persona's Social Links system. That itself could be considered just as important a gameplay aspect like dungeon-crawling is, since it also affects just how quickly your Personas level up and get new abilities.

Now I'm tempted to have another go at Persona 3 Portable as female protagonist. Maybe aim for Junpei Stupei as husbano this time around. :tongue: (EDIT: nevermind, apparently can't. Maybe Akihiko then.)

You poor soul D: P3P is soooo meh compared to P3 or FES.. >_> I just can't stand the 2d models and Menu-Based travel. 3d Models and walking around FTW! \o/
    edited February 2015

You poor soul D: P3P is soooo meh compared to P3 or FES.. >_> I just can't stand the 2d models and Menu-Based travel. 3d Models and walking around FTW! \o/

Eh, the light-novel style cursor-to-travel interface doesn't bother me one bit.

I know FES has full motion cutscenes and the "true" ending, but P3P has female storyline and I'm able to play it on the go on my Vita.

Yes I have a Vita. Feel free to laugh.
    edited February 2015

I know FES has full motion cutscenes and the "true" ending, but P3P has female storyline and I'm able to play it on the go on my Vita.

..what's a "Vita"?

Oh hey, they make PSPs with 2 sticks now.
    edited February 2015
    ..what's a "Vita"?

Oh hey, they make PSPs with 2 sticks now.

Mock all you want, but I can play Persona 4 Golden! Ha!

And also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91r1STWZc9I
    edited February 2015

Mock all you want, but I can play Persona 4 Golden! Ha!

HA! you have to deal with Marie
    edited February 2015
    I was close to having Yuu cheat on Chie for Marie.

But Chie will always be best waifu.
    edited February 2015
    I was close to having Yuu cheat on Chie for Marie.

But Chie will always be best waifu.

That's not how you spell Naoto
    edited February 2015
    If by social link you mean taking time to chit-chat with the main character's friends and do odd jobs to strengthen Personas, that is only Persona 4 as far as I know.
    edited February 2015
    If by social link you mean taking time to chit-chat with the main character's friends and do odd jobs to strengthen Personas, that is only Persona 4 as far as I know.

It's also in 3.

It's in two very prominent games of the series and will be in the upcoming one being released this year. I think that makes it valid enough to point out that overall gameplay between SMT and Persona isn't entirely similar.
    edited February 2015
    I didn't play Persona 3 much, but do remember the going to school stuff to be an annoyance if anything. Also found it on the annoying side in Persona 4. I have played the other three previous games much more.

Adding a sim of the teenage life doesn't change that the games are more-or-less similar to play.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2015

if you like japanese games, its a good system, considering buying one myself once my tax return comes back. the god eater games look like a good mosnter hunter styled sci fi game, and nippon ichi makes games for it, so its a good system for the discerning anime nerd...which i like to think i am.:biggrin:
    edited February 2015
    Vitas are great not many handhelds have Borderlands 2.
    edited February 2015
    Wow this thread was a trip. Were you guys talking about bronze age tech for a bit there?
    edited February 2015
    Welp. They laid off Everquest's executive producer, and Smedley ain't said a word. I take back what I said before. They're boned.
    edited February 2015
    They also fired a bunch of their Customer Service people, including the lead. Last time they dumped CS, they shut down four games a month or two later.

I've never thought highly of SoE, especially after the sleeze they pulled last time with the game shut-downs. They claimed no one was affected, which is sort-of true since the people they dumped worked for Wired Talent, which is a hiring firm, and not SoE themselves.
    edited February 2015
    Its not looking good for any of the SOE games. Think how annoying CoX vets are ( I'm proof of that :D ) well DCUO vets are gonna be 1001% worse :3

I feel that this is going to be a good year for CO forum rage facing >:D
    edited February 2015
    "What do you MEAN it's not an action game? What do you mean PvP is dead? UGH! Worst game ever."
    edited February 2015
    Its not looking good for any of the SOE games. Think how annoying CoX vets are ( I'm proof of that :D ) well DCUO vets are gonna be 1001% worse :3

I will die laughing if this occurs. The most delightfully belligerent community you'll ever come across. At least PVP will become interesting but I'll miss having a place I can go to be an insufferable *******. :biggrin:
    edited February 2015
    "What do you MEAN it's not an action game? What do you mean PvP is dead? UGH! Worst game ever."

"It is an action game though, and pvp isn't dead. Look at RenCen.. there's pvp happening right now. I hear your costume editor was a joke and that you all played side kicks."

I will die laughing if this occurs. The most delightfully belligerent community you'll ever come across. At least PVP will become interesting but I'll miss having a place I can go to be an insufferable *******. :biggrin:

They may be belligerent, but we're emotionally abusive. Bring em on. We'll have them going through nervous breakdowns on a daily basis in under a week.
  • witchgunwitchgun Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So you guys think DCUO could be done then? Not really good for a niche market of super hero MMO's to lose two out of three of its games. Let's hope DC/Wb simply take it over/buy it off SOE that was rather than killing it off. I mean if SOE are willing to kill a new Everquest off it seems as if its just one of them firms that are there to suck the money out of it and kill it off.
    edited February 2015
    witchgun wrote: »
    So you guys think DCUO could be done then? Not really good for a niche market of super hero MMO's to lose two out of three of its games. Let's hope DC/Wb simply take it over/buy it off SOE that was rather than killing it off. I mean if SOE are willing to kill a new Everquest off it seems as if its just one of them firms that are there to suck the money out of it and kill it off.

Personally I don't think it is done, just having a bit of fun at the idea but things do not look good for them at all. Last time I checked, they are making money but that may not be enough to keep them afloat. I personally don't want to see DCUO go away but recent news is not that promising.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015

my favourite from DCUO,on the Europe Server(yes picked deliberately)
    someone speaks in their native language.
    some idiot says speak english noob.
    my response "Shut up, I'm on this server, so Zone chat isn't in English.
    It's much more interesting when you can't understand any of it."
    They shut up and I got a PM from the other guy.
    pvp- that would be the crowd of max levels at the space station duelling. It was so funny the amount of similarities between the players behaviour there and here.

expected comments;
    con
    when are you getting your next update?
    when are you getting your next power set?
    where's the endgame?
    what I have to pay to open boxes(subbed)
    where the PvP rewards

pro
    what? free players can have as much money as subbed ones by paying $5/account.
    what the costume drops unlock for all your characters
    what your lockboxes actually have useful stuff in
    we don't have to pay for the comic series

and NO I don't think it's likely to close, they have too much invested in getting it going and expanding it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited February 2015
    witchgun wrote: »

I was messing about I like DCUO on the PS machines BUT saying that I cant see WB letting Daybreak or what ever its called run DCUO. WB's deal was with Sony I can see WB claiming the game as their own and giving it to Turbine to run.

Seriously I think there is like a 99% likleyhood Turbine will helm DCUO by the end of this year.

DCUO will be fine.