test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weekend 2/8/15, some sellers handled

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited February 2015 in Super News Network
Over the weekend, we had a few gold sellers pop up in CO zone chat. My thanks go out to everyone who reported them - we got them taken care of.

That said, it's always possible that they'll come back on more throwaway accounts. If so, can you guys let us know? Just fire a ticket our way, we'll get it handled. Our CO team isn't online 24/7, but we'll get it resolved as soon as possible. https://support.arcgames.com/app/ask

Also, this seems like the kind of thing you guys would find entertaining: Apparently they were selling 200G for $6. Guys, just trade keys. :biggrin:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thanks! Quick response

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just got an ingame mail from those guys a few hours ago...

Reported the crap out of it... :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    200 Globals for six bucks?? :biggrin:

Only three times the going rate in-game...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just remember, they make perfectly good targets, when they exit the Tutorial.:biggrin:
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    200 Globals for six bucks?? :biggrin:

Only three times the going rate in-game...

That's what makes me laugh a bit at these spammers not-so-stellar attempts to scam.

If you're going to use a bot and spam messages, at least get an understanding of the game's economy!
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Probably would help to make sure to fill whatever loophole the trash has found while inside the tutorial. People have noted that they are receiving PMs and Mail from the spammer-scammers hiding out in the Tutorial zone. Make sure this scum receives a swift and just banning for trying to prey on your loyal customers!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Woah, we're known enough to get gold-sellers? That's a good sign!
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    have been thinking about it at work.
    we currently have a 20hr chat lock on new players.
    New players need to be able to ask questions. This penalizes them, when they most need to use chat, when they are learning the game.
    Why not block the tutorial.
    You do not need anything except local and team for the tutorial.
    Everything else including mail, should be blocked from anyone in the tutorial.
    Also Zone in Tutorial should be specific to the tutorial.

I know some people like to team for anything but why use find person in Tuorial. YOu can see people and it's only a small area, You can just yell in zone. "Is so & so on? IF so, invite to team.

The find person list, gives the gold seller, the info they want, who is low level. Turn it off, in the Tutorial.
    Once they leave the tutorial, they are fair game for anyone who spots them.
    I got a mail one on my new bunny, (Level 10). I was thinking of sending a sarcastic response, about having over 80 characters on that acct but just hit report anyway.

1.How about a Bounty on them, we have people who want more Q farming, how about a 1Zen reward for the first person to report each one. With our farmers, they will get a lot of reports.

2. new button: report gold seller; copies message AND who reported them.
    does;
    instant 1hr chat and mail ban.
    for those thinking of the abuse possibilities;
    when it gets to CS, if it is found to not be a Gold seller ad. The person who reported it gets a 24hr INGAME chat and mail ban.
    2nd time; 1 week
    3 time; flat out ban.

It's not hard to turn off a few channels and scroll tpo make sure you get the right one.
    yes copied to Suggestions too

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    Woah, we're known enough to get gold-sellers? That's a good sign!
    ^This.

No need to overreact.

And people dense enough to get themselves scammed by gold sellers probably deserve such fate anyway.

Stupidity tax, lol.
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    have been thinking about it at work.

Snipped wall of stupid
    Or take all that dev/CS time (read:$$$) you spent and spend it on new content and/or QoL enhancements.

You don't seem to have many suggestions that don't cost a bunch of money do you"?

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    so getting rid of the 20hr chat lock on new players, so they can ask questions is not a QoL issue?

dealing with Gold sellers, who have a reputation for scammer players, who then blame the company for being scammed isn't QoL?

anything done costs money.

So whats your suggestion with dealing with the spam nuisances ,which get worse, the longer they aren't dealt with?
    remembering that you want it for free.

• Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    dealing with regular scammers, who have a higher reputation for scamming players, who then blame the company for being scammed isn't QoL?

Just a minor edit here to make my lil point. While gold sellers are semi-annoying(and laughable) I would argue that us not having a copy of the NW Trade Confirmation Mechanics which would make it much harder for some people to scam other players is a much larger issue. It's also one which would likely cost less cash to repair when you consider the whole "our neighbors already have it up and running" and "cryptic engine" points. Just wanted to toss that into the mix. :biggrin:

Also: Copying(mostly) the STO Exchange in as our "NEW" CO Auction House would also probably make the AH get more use and cut down on ingame scamming too. :cool:

P.S. As Jon pointed out, so long as these "gold sellers" are coming in second place to the actual major gold seller in the game(aka The Z-Store) then they might be annoying for your mail inbox...but they're mostly pointless.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They are likely leaking over from NWO. Their effort in researching the game goes as far as seeing the G for highest form of resource in game and attributes that to Gold.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    while regular scammers may steal items, gold sellers are notorious for stealing accounts.
    just watch the NW ads, everytime I see one which doesn't have a random letters handle, I think " another satisfied customer"
    which would you prefer
    they were selling keys too

and yes the confirmation window would be good, everyone having to keep a scammers list is ... annoying

however, I remember seeing "I've just been scammed by X." in NW, so it isn't always effective.

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    99% sure we were just dealing with some trolls targeting AT players. They hit me up on my AT characters, and my fiancee running one as well. Both of us were 40.

Since we got the G-cap increase we'll have to expect a bit more of this. Free to play brings it out, because they can use mules to trade. If one person buys, etc... But I can tell you they're not bots, because I messed with one of them for a good bit of time earlier on and they were responding to me. They're probably the same people running the trade scams, but now with IRL funds.

The best way y'all can combat this on a personal level, aside from reports, is to tell people what the z to g ratio actually is. 1 to 1 conversion, 100g is 1 key, 1 key is 100 zen, 100 zen is a buck, etc... I support lifting the chat limits for new players, for one reason: Because it won't stop this problem and this problem is why it exists in the first place. People have to blind add me to send me tells, and damn would it be nice for them to be able to ask me. We have the block feature for annoying people, but it's obviously not fixing the spam issue.

IMO our next QOL fix would be a trade confirm button. This community is *great* at self-policing, and letting people know where the scam is. But trade scamming is a far bigger issue, especially since that stupid program is still out there that pulls the trade at the last moment.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    99% sure we were just dealing with some trolls targeting AT players. They hit me up on my AT characters, and my fiancee running one as well. Both of us were 40.

No, I'm still getting these spam messages while playing and I don't have a single AT. They just seem to be targeting anyone.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I got three emails this morning, one was apparently from someone I'd already reported and yet I still got the spam message.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It'd be super if something was done to stop this. I'm getting tired of deleting the in-game mail everyday from scumbag gold sellers. The sad part is if I become verbally abusive with them, I'll probably be the one banned.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    A new day, two new spam emails, one from someone that was already on my ignore list. What is the point of the report spam button, the ignore function, if I still can get emails from people on those lists?
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like to reply to them in game saying "200G for $2? That would be great if the game took Gold, unfortunately we use Globals here."
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm noticing a trend here, another two spamers reported, one already on my my list.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    bwdares wrote: »
    I like to reply to them in game saying "200G for $2? That would be great if the game took Gold, unfortunately we use Globals here."

I'm tempted to ask, do you sell Rampage gear?

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It looks like the Storm has Ended for now

I haven't recieved any Scambot Mail for Days since last week :biggrin:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    sparklisinasparklisina Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I got 2 gold sellery email things and my boyfriend got 5 yesterday.

Rose_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    WHAT? and I only got 1 all week.
    I'm going to sulk, now I have none to report spam on.
    hmm. maybe that's why they don't call me

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ok Scratch that

I just logged in again and I had 3 Scambots Mails waiting for me as well as 1 more I received while playing :frown:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!