test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this game still being developed?

jeanpaulvalleyjeanpaulvalley Posts: 4 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
I have played CO off and on for a few years now, mostly as a subscriber, and I'm just wondering if anything is on the calender for making the game better or releasing new powers or new map areas?
Post edited by jeanpaulvalley on

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ehhhh... kinda. It still gets new content, but not a lot. Cryptic North is only about, what... twelve guys? Who also occasionally have to supplement the development teams for STO and NW? It's a slow trickle of new stuff, but new stuff does eventually manifest every so often.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ████▌▌
    ▌Yes█▌▌
    ████▌▌
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    we got the Mechanon missions, along with about 2 dozen costumes.
    The boss fight proving Mechanon is one of the biggest knockers around and that fighting in low grav is funny.

we got an AT, which a lot of people have descriptions for. Some of which are positive and polite.
    we got some new telepathy powers which, you can make a build which entirely 'nickle and dimes' the mobs to death. (Yes, did it, entirely DoT powers to 40)

we seem to have someone with a sense of style, currently designing vehicles.

yes we aren't getting as much as the other 2 games, at least one of which has 50+ people working on it.
    but we are getting stuff.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Deep space missions are coming.
    I heard a lil' blue bird sing.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jeanpaulvalleyjeanpaulvalley Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ah I see that's nice to know, I renewed my sub and will stick around for a bit hopefully the team will get some more manpower/funding and give this game some much needed love.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We all wish we had more content released, a lot more, and a lot more quickly. But yes, there is work in development to the best of our knowledge. Cryptic North tends to not talk about development until it's almost ready for PTS, understandable, given they're only a development house, and speaking about it is likely to step on their parent company's toes.

Barring a paradigm shift (such as the game being ported to X-Box), the current pace of development is likely the best we can expect for the rest of this game's lifespan.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cryptic North is only about, what... twelve guys?

Last time I checked, CN were around eighty seven people. Now, if out of those 87 only two were assigned to CO, that's a different matter.

While the game is no longer in full maintenance mode, it's rather in a mostly probatory status. Now, whether CO is eventually promoted to the B-list or goes back to maintenance is yet to be seen.
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    87 people? That better not include support. Cu there are some games out there with more than THAT for one game.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Deep space missions are coming.
    I heard a lil' blue bird sing.

Ohhh? Nice!

*jumps around excited*

I envision a spaceship in a lockbox... woohoo!

(genuine excitement, not sarcasm)
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
    edited February 2015
    foxyperson wrote: »
    Last time I checked, CN were around eighty seven people. Now, if out of those 87 only two were assigned to CO, that's a different matter.

While the game is no longer in full maintenance mode, it's rather in a mostly probationary status. Now, whether CO is eventually promoted to the B-list or goes back to maintenance is yet to be seen.

where did you see that, we've only been told 12.
    here's the original article:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193707/QA_With_Neverwinter_inbound_Cryptic_founds_Seattle_studio.php

on the other hand, STO bragged in 2013/2014 of having 50 devs. and that's the favoured game, so I doubt the numbers.

edited February 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    where did you see that, we've only been told 12.
    here's the original article:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193707/QA_With_Neverwinter_inbound_Cryptic_founds_Seattle_studio.php

on the other hand, STO bragged in 2013/2014 of having 50 devs. and that's the favoured game, so I doubt the numbers.

Foxy could be confusing Cryptic North with Cryptic Proper.
    edited February 2015
    I just hope something can be done to give the game more focus/funding from Cryptic, this is the only good Superhero MMO left and it has a lot of potential still.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just hope something can be done to give the game more focus/funding from Cryptic, this is the only good Superhero MMO left and it has a lot of potential still.

My thoughts are in line with this.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Short answer: No

Long asnwer: Maybe, but probably not.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To answer the title of the thread: Development is happening slowly, but surely. The real question is: Is it going to be enough to weather against competition we have now and in the future? And is the stuff we are getting worthwhile to the game as a whole?
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• smashykinssmashykins Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You're not powerless as a player in the game.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you compare this year to last year, there seems to be significantly less development and promotional activity.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Last time I read there are at least 2 more superhero mmos in the market each of them from a famous IP. Wheter we like them or not, they seem to have more success than CO.

The problem in CO has always been management vision rather than shortage of resources. They lost the chance to catch CoX refugees when the time was right. They just released the silver resource cap fix(STO style), which should have been released 2 years ago.

Years ago, executive producers in charge used to take time out his/her schedule to write a couple paragraphs about the game. Nowadays, we get TT or devs to talk to us basically when the concentration of doom threads gets to critical levels.

I haven't played CO since December except for checking the market. When they release something new I will check it out.
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They "say" Co is still being developed, but from what I'm seeing...well, let me just put it like this, Since when does it take 2 weeks to re-colour a couple of bikes, hmm?

Since when does it take the better part of two months to create a costume set containing 2 simple coats, a modified headband and plain gloves?

Since when does it take over a year to create 4 new missions?

It's obvious the devs are doing....something, but that something isn't working on CO, otherwise there would be more to show for it when the devs finally release something

So what I want to know is what are the devs REALLY doing?
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • mgh112982mgh112982 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My question is what about new powers, the last power that came out was last year was the awakened but had to have a level 40 before that 3 years ago was night avenger. My question is any new powers to come during this year or the next?
    Champions Online: American Warrior, Dragon Knight, Cybercop, Somebody, Bionic Dragon and Crimson Mayhem are my characters.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Theres a really simple answer to that.
    Most probably maybe.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited February 2015
    That's true Marvel Heroes and DCUO are competition, and I think I read City of Titans is being developed which is basically City of Heroes rebooted.
    edited February 2015
    different games, different styles.
    what the other 2 games have in common, lots of advertising and people working on them.

edited February 2015
    and I think I read City of Titans is being developed which is basically City of Heroes rebooted.

Valiance Online, actually. CoT is still something of a pipe dream last I checked.
    edited February 2015
    notyuu wrote: »
    Since when does it take over a year to create 4 new missions?

Last time I used CoX' mission editor, it took me two weeks to write a story arc (with a writing that, as a hack of a writer as I may be, was lots more solid than Steel Crusade if I can say so myself)... add perhaps three weeks to that for brainstorming. The models for the spider mob, the costume parts, and Mechanon, shouldn't take longer than a month, and that using a single person to do them.

So yeah, I'll go and say it. Even if the amount of people in charge of CO was doubled (after all, 2 is still two times one), we got trolled.

Jack trolled us.

While I still don't regret my investment in this game (provided no terrible news come this Q1), I'll have to acknowledge my trust was misplaced.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Last time I used CoX' mission editor, it took me two weeks to write a story arc (with a writing that, as a hack of a writer as I may be, was lots more solid than Steel Crusade if I can say so myself)... add perhaps three weeks to that for brainstorming. The models for the spider mob, the costume parts, and Mechanon, shouldn't take longer than a month, and that using a single person to do them.

So yeah, I'll go and say it. Even if the amount of people in charge of CO was doubled (after all, 2 is still two times one), we got trolled.

Jack trolled us.

Sure, took you that long once all the assets you used were already created for you. You didn't have to build any models, texture them, animate them if necessary, balance difficulty, create new costume pieces and texture them, model new vehicles, set up cutscenes, none of that.

What you did is hardly comparable to what they do.

I've used the Neverwinter Foundry and it does take a long time to set up something that looks nice, with good story and mobs that aren't just plucked from the default NPCs, but all I'm doing is rearranging pieces that are given to me. It's hardly the same as real game development.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    CoT is still something of a pipe dream last I checked.

CoX took six years to see the light, so it's not an unreasonable amount of time they're taking yet... however, switching their choice on graphic engines twice in two years is a big red flag regarding the quality of their leadership. I just hope the game doesn't fall in development hell like Duke Nukem Forever did
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    CoX took six years to see the light, so it's not an unreasonable amount of time they're taking yet... however, switching their choice on graphic engines twice in two years is a big red flag regarding the quality of their leadership. I just hope the game doesn't fall in development hell like Duke Nukem Forever did

City of Titans had exactly one engine change, from Unreal Engine 3 to Unreal Engine 4, very early in their development. Epic encouraged them to upgrade, and assisted them with it, because MWM were using their Kickstarter funds to acquire developer licenses for UE, and Epic didn't want them buying UE3 licenses when UE4 was going to launch in the next quarter. (MWM's Kickstarter ended in November 2013, and Epic approached them in December 2013. They were under an NDA until Epic publicly announced UE4 in March 2014, but the conversion work was already happening behind the scenes.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sure, took you that long once all the assets you used were already created for you. You didn't have to build any models, texture them, animate them if necessary, balance difficulty, create new costume pieces and texture them, model new vehicles, set up cutscenes, none of that.

I've used the Neverwinter Foundry and it does take a long time to set up something that looks nice, with good story and mobs that aren't just plucked from the default NPCs, but all I'm doing is rearranging pieces that are given to me. It's hardly the same as real game development.

And Biff even left out a bunch of stuff.

People need to stop minimizing how much work game development is.

Hey... how long ago was it where we were saying "Oh look, new content, how long before people start complaining there hasn't been any new content in a while". Feels like last week.
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    And Biff even left out a bunch of stuff.

People need to stop minimizing how much work game development is.

Hey... how long ago was it where we were saying "Oh look, new content, how long before people start complaining there hasn't been any new content in a while". Feels like last week.

It's actually been a couple of months at least.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Something REALLY kind of awesome that they did recently (at least according to the Announcements page on Steam, anyway):
    THEY REMOVED THE (#@*@^ RESTRICTIONS ON THE CHARACTER CREATOR FROM NEW PLAYERS!

So, yeah, they seem to want to do at least something to keep this game going.
    And it seems to be growing a bit, just in a different demographic.
    I've been working weird hours the past few months, meaning that I log in and play at just about any random time of day or night. And the server population is many times higher at around midnight to 6 AM compared to traditional "Prime Time". Heck, yesterday at about 3 AM it felt like the Good Ol' Days, with actual CROWDS around Defender, Drifter, and in the V.I.P. Room.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Something REALLY kind of awesome that they did recently (at least according to the Announcements page on Steam, anyway):
    THEY REMOVED THE (#@*@^ RESTRICTIONS ON THE CHARACTER CREATOR FROM NEW PLAYERS!

they removed an arbitrary restriction that was added about a year after F2P launched.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    they removed an arbitrary restriction that was added about a year after F2P launched.

^ Do more then touching up the game then we be impressed some more. o.3.o
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited February 2015
    The funny part is, every time people come on here and grouch about how there's no new content, it just let's the devs know they're doing a good job. You wouldn't be complaining if you didn't want to play their game really badly uwu

It's when the forums go quiet that there might be an issue. Might be. Maybe.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2015

You know, one thing that might be worth considering? Have a dev sit down and do this sort of content - make new missions that re-use existing models, maps, enemy types, etcetera. Focus especially on the early game, providing alternate options for low level characters. Yeah, it wouldn't have the wow factor of the mechanon missions, but that's okay; not everything needs to be all-new super-awesome shiny stuff.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The funny part is, every time people come on here and grouch about how there's no new content, it just let's the devs know they're doing a good job. You wouldn't be complaining if you didn't want to play their game really badly uwu

It's when the forums go quiet that there might be an issue. Might be. Maybe.

I'm not sure that's the key performance indicator. Unhappiness in the forum doesn't generate revenue, e.g I still visit the forum regularly but have only logged into the game a couple of times in 2015.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    edited February 2015
    morigosa wrote: »
    You know, one thing that might be worth considering? Have a dev sit down and do this sort of content - make new missions that re-use existing models, maps, enemy types, etcetera. Focus especially on the early game, providing alternate options for low level characters. Yeah, it wouldn't have the wow factor of the mechanon missions, but that's okay; not everything needs to be all-new super-awesome shiny stuff.

I could get behind this as long as it doesn't turn out to be like the copy-paste Vibora Bay crypts.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2015
    I could get behind this as long as it doesn't turn out to be like the copy-paste Vibora Bay crypts.

Which I find curious considering that the area of Florida it's in is near the Louisiana border, a state you may recall has difficulty digging anything underground because of the water level. A lot of those crypts should be at least partly flooded.
    edited February 2015
    Which I find curious considering that the area of Florida it's in is near the Louisiana border, a state you may recall has difficulty digging anything underground because of the water level. A lot of those crypts should be at least partly flooded.

NO MORE UNDERWATER LEVELS! :biggrin:

asdf
    biffsig.jpg
  • doktormarengodoktormarengo Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I could get behind that really. I honestly think the new development philosophy has been one of "frequent small updates" over big expansions.

I'd certainly like to see things pick up steam though. Even if we got one 2-4 mission arc ever few months or so. Three things I'd like to see that might help.

- Remove the level restrictions on the "Help a Citizen" missions. Plus make them more frequently found. They should scale to the players level esp. for higher level players.

- Allow players the ability to replay content they've already run.

- Update mission rewards to include more useful mods and gear. I.E. make them more desirable to run.

None of these ideas require new content to be created. They just leverage the existing content so that it's more appealing to players.
    This is RiverOcean's 2nd Account. Can't combine my STO and CO accounts for some weird reason.
    edited February 2015

This is why I'm not too excited by the concept. I have trouble getting hype about "new" content that is really just reskinned old content.... especially if, in this case, it wouldn't even be reskinned.

Some people are okay with something just being chronologically new... I only get excited for things that are mechanically new. Just because my ex-girlfriend dyed her hair blonde doesn't mean we're going to have a new "honeymoon" period when we date again.... though I understand that some people just can't stand being alone so they get excited by the concept of dating literally anyone, even if it's the same person they were complaining about last year with a different hair color.

If I want to run down hallway A while killing enemy X... I'll just go to the one we have now, and the devs can spend their time fixing bugs and making stuff that is actually new in a compelling way.
    not everything needs to be all-new super-awesome shiny stuff.

But it should be. It's sort of insulting our intelligence to throw the same stuff at us over and over again and expect us to get excited about it.
    edited February 2015
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's the key performance indicator. Unhappiness in the forum doesn't generate revenue, e.g I still visit the forum regularly but have only logged into the game a couple of times in 2015.

I never said it generated revenue.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    But it should be. It's sort of insulting our intelligence to throw the same stuff at us over and over again and expect us to get excited about it.

Strongly disagree, here. You're welcome to not get excited about such content, but there are some of us who, y'know, actually read the mission text and care about plot and telling a story, even if that story involves foes we've seen before.

If all you care about is numbers and game mechanics, that's fine, it's not a wrong way to play... but it's for sure not the way I play, and you should not be implying that it's the only way to play.
    edited February 2015
    standard forum argument ... I mean discussion No:3, starting in

• canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    standard forum argument ... I mean discussion No:3, starting in

Don't you dare nerf 2GM! Nerf Dragon's Wrath! Or I along with everyone else will threaten very loudly to leave the game!
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't you dare nerf 2GM! Nerf Dragon's Wrath! Or I along with everyone else will threaten very loudly to leave the game!

You and your pay to win Canadian-ness. Oh, and you only want that DW nerf cuz you are a Gold member out to keep Silvers down.

And stuff. :biggrin:

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Dragon's Wrath is fine. TGM is fine. Other Tier 1 powers need to be in line with TGM and other support powers need to work effectively.

Content coming out compared to last year has been remotely the same. Last year's stuff (Rampage revamp and Foxbat) has been unfinished stuff that has a bit more added or reworked to make it playable. No doubt this year, since they already developed some space stuff, they can get momentum to keep adding to that with content that hopefully takes longer to complete than an hour.

We are getting content. I just hope its intuitive (as new content ought to be) and it has rewards worth getting more than once.

A dedicated dev to adding varied missions throughout the game to fill up space would be a plus. If there was more content outside of Millennium City, players would go there. The numbers show people favoring Millennium City because content is being added there exclusively. As it is they are hiring more staff for Cryptic North. Its growing and hopefully we'll be allowed to have the luxury of devs that can focus exclusively on content.

They could maybe hire Champions PnP writers and game designers and train them in the Cryptic Engine. =b
This discussion has been closed.