test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Implement Foundry in 2015

cwiyk13cwiyk13 Posts: 5 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Suggestions Box
Please implement a Foundry system in CO in 2015. I don't think I need to restate all of the reasons why CO players want a foundry system and the proposed benefits to Cryptic/PWE in terms of profit for completing such a project. I just want to remind the Devs, Cryptic and PWE that there's no time like the present to do this for CO players and begin reaping the benefits that would come along with it.
Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
Post edited by cwiyk13 on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't want to pee all over your dreams so I'll just wait for someone else to coma along and do it o3o
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just because it isn't going to happen doesn't mean we have to stop wishing.

Yay go Foundry 2015!
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Heheheh. Foundry...
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i-have-no-idea-what-you-re-talking-about.jpg
    edited February 2015
    I disagree. I would prefer more rampage alerts, a new gear tier and more costumes in lockboxes.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If anything, if they started development on the foundry now, it might take them a year to complete it. Unless you guys want it rushed.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I disagree. I would prefer more rampage alerts, a new gear tier and more costumes in lockboxes.

A new tier of gear? To go with what?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If we get Foundry it will be worse off than STO's and NWO's. The games that have "active" support for Foundry, but is failing to improve and remove the limitations.
  • Options
    highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If we get Foundry it will be worse off than STO's and NWO's. The games that have "active" support for Foundry, but is failing to improve and remove the limitations.

This. With CO limitations i can see the foundry being a choose your stage choose your minions choose your difficulty and just maybe write the boss's lines. And i'd rather not see something like that happen cause that'd be quite the nail in the coffin for many believers.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A new tier of gear? To go with what?

New extreme challenges A new rampage alert. If you complete the alert, you have a random chance to gain a cosmic key. If you open 100 lockboxes, you get a token for the new gears.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Heheheh. Foundry...

This makes me wonder...hmmm..I wonder...
    michael-jackson-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif246032molqpxoqx1.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    New extreme challenges A new rampage alert. If you complete the alert, you have a random chance to gain a cosmic key. If you open 100 lockboxes, you get a token for the new gears.

OK, you can just stop now... CO does NOT need this. No MMO needs this. If you actually enjoy that kind of stuff, then go play another game that already has it. We don't need it in CO. The introduction of Lockboxes in the first place was bad enough. But lets leave them as a source of vanity items. They should NEVER become an integral part of the game such as a required source for top tier gear.

Honestly, I think you're actually just trolling now too, because you can't seriously want that BS added to CO.

Back on topic....

I would love to see the Foundry added already, but we won't get it for a long time if ever... and there are a lot of other things they need to fix and/or complete before the foundry can even be added
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cwiyk13 wrote: »
    Please implement a Foundry system in CO in 2015. I don't think I need to restate all of the reasons why CO players want a foundry system

I really think you do
    and the proposed benefits to Cryptic/PWE in terms of profit for completing such a project.

Think we need those as well
    I just want to remind the Devs, Cryptic and PWE that there's no time like the present to do this for CO players and begin reaping the benefits that would come along with it.

Uh-huh sure if you say so.

Personally I would like to see more comic book series, more costumes, more powers, the development of the current comic book series into mini zones and maybe just maybe a pay for expansion taking things to Hudson city and dark champions where super heroes are as much out laws as the criminals they fight.

but hey every one can dream.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I thought Stergio was being sarcastic. Did I miss something?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    raighn wrote: »
    OK, you can just stop now... CO does NOT need this. No MMO needs this. If you actually enjoy that kind of stuff, then go play another game that already has it. We don't need it in CO. The introduction of Lockboxes in the first place was bad enough. But lets leave them as a source of vanity items. They should NEVER become an integral part of the game such as a required source for top tier gear.

Honestly, I think you're actually just trolling now too, because you can't seriously want that BS added to CO.

He was being sarcastic. It was so obvious too... how did you miss it?

There's a difference between sarcasm and trolling btw. Kids these days...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I thought Stergio was being sarcastic. Did I miss something?
    spinnytop wrote: »
    He was being sarcastic. It was so obvious too... how did you miss it?

There's a difference between sarcasm and trolling btw. Kids these days...

If he was just being sarcastic, then I apologize... It's just his post showed exactly the type of stuff that I hope CO never becomes in a million years...

I love this game, and I actually intend to buy an LTS once I can afford it... but if the game were to turn into that... then I'd lose what has to be one of my favorite games... I hated it when they added the lockboxes, and even raged about it on the forums and in zone... in fact, I've only ever opened 6 lockboxes and that was just to get the Lockbox Bonus Card items... If I were suddenly forced to open hundreds of lockboxes just to get the newest set of gear... that would just be one of the worst things to ever happen to CO in my eyes...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    raighn wrote: »
    If he was just being sarcastic, then I apologize... It's just his post showed exactly the type of stuff that I hope CO never becomes in a million years...

I love this game, and I actually intend to buy an LTS once I can afford it... but if the game were to turn into that... then I'd lose what has to be one of my favorite games... I hated it when they added the lockboxes, and even raged about it on the forums and in zone... in fact, I've only ever opened 6 lockboxes and that was just to get the Lockbox Bonus Card items... If I were suddenly forced to open hundreds of lockboxes just to get the newest set of gear... that would just be one of the worst things to ever happen to CO in my eyes...

Yeah that was sarcasm. Also, unfortunately, what you describe as the worst thing has already happened (legion gear...). It still kinda happens.Bright side of it! Get that LTS and you'll open 5 more lockboxes for free every month!!!!
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Who said it's not going to happen?

It's already known its not IMPOSSIBLE, just very difficult.

thats not what trail turtle told me the year before last during the third anniversery event, when i asked.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah that was sarcasm. Also, unfortunately, what you describe as the worst thing has already happened (legion gear...). It still kinda happens.Bright side of it! Get that LTS and you'll open 5 more lockboxes for free every month!!!!

Legion can be traded though... so, while it may require opening lockbox I personally don't feel like i'm forced to open them... what you described in your sarcasm though is closer to how Justice gear is... which upon reflection still requires opening lockboxes >.< luckily it's a predictable number of boxes since the only thing you need from lockboxes for Justice gear is Drifter Salvage... and theirs the tradable Crates of Drifter Salvage so even that doesn't "require" opening lockboxes... sure they still have to be opened by someone somewhere to get the crates but if there is a way around opening the lockboxes for someone then I find it at least a little more acceptable...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Don't worry, even if they come out with 10 new tiers of gear, it'll all be meaningless because you won't need it for anything. Just look at how it's been so far....

1. Came out with Legion Gear... did not come out with any content that required it. Did not raise difficulty of the game.

2. Came out with Justice Gear... did not come out with any content that required it. Did not raise difficulty of the game.

When they come out with new gear it's not "Hey, get this so you can tackle the next big challenge!"... it's "Hey! ...you want the game to be even easier by a little bit?"

Legion Gear was clearly for the money making (mainly off pvpers). Justice Gear they decided to be less obvious about it being for the money making... the gear itself you can't get any faster using money... but you can buy other stuff related either to acquiring it or using it once you have it (self rez z store items, questionite for unslotting your big time mods from your old gear, catylists to upgrade your mods since you're a big time Justice Gear super star now and hungry for even more power, vehicles and vehicle mods/weapons for vehicle Rampages).

It's never been about making bigger challenges to justify the presence of new gear. It's always been about taking advantage of people who need a "progression fix". Like you know how eventually a junkie just cares about getting the drug, and no longer cares about having fun while they're getting high?
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We can't do foundry so they should introduce summon enemies devices, where you can summon enemies of your level every thirty seconds and a matser key to open up all instances so you have a place to play dungeon master with your devices and team. An AT/powerset like this would be cool to.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Like you know how eventually a junkie just cares about getting the drug, and no longer cares about having fun while they're getting high?

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    thats not what trail turtle told me the year before last during the third anniversery event, when i asked.

Please pardon my ignorance but what exactly did Trail Turtle say?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Personally I would like to see more comic book series, more costumes, more powers, the development of the current comic book series into mini zones and maybe just maybe a pay for expansion taking things to Hudson city and dark champions where super heroes are as much out laws as the criminals they fight.

but hey every one can dream.

That all sounds cool and I'd love to see that in 2015! I understand the world works on limited resources, so if we got all of those things in 2015 but no Foundry I'd understand.

On the other hand, if a good quality Foundry were implemented, then the more creative of us could make their own comic series and such. Is this far fetched? If it is, what's wrong with aiming high?
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That all sounds cool and I'd love to see that in 2015! I understand the world works on limited resources, so if we got all of those things in 2015 but no Foundry I'd understand.

On the other hand, if a good quality Foundry were implemented, then the more creative of us could make their own comic series and such. Is this far fetched? If it is, what's wrong with aiming high?

I cant help but look at the architect system that as introduced in city of many many moons ago then people said much the same players were going to create these great story arcs for all to play and for a brief shining moment people were creating true story based content (not always great but they tried) but that passed the decent missions became few and far between drowned out in a over-abundance of drivel and farm missions.

I firmly believe similar would happen here the only maybe good thing that might come of it is a engine update that would probably be required to get it in and working properly.
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Given how we already offered to fund it ourselves via kickstarter in the past, that should give you an idea of Cryptic's interest in your request.

4609129583.png
  • Options
    axenomeaxenome Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I mentioned in a battlestation thread, the foundry, or at least something that could be used to make your own storyline missions, could be made using off the shelf stuff already present in the battle station in the powerhouse. Add specific nodes you can have mooks spawn, add in a triggered dialogue section, and give the battle station the ability to change terrain, make a boss spawner that spawns your nemesis and more dialogue, and you've got the beginnings right there. Sure, you're giving up both xp and loot, but isn't the real issue that we want to have story type missions tailored to our heroes? An experienced programmer could probably do everything mentioned except maybe terrain changes in an afternoon.
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tfavsb10 wrote: »

What they mean by that is that it is impossible to montise it, and thus "impossible" for the game

but in all srsnss...they said the same thing about the aura system and as you can see we still don't have that...oh...WAIT, we do...all it took was for the to figure out hoow to montise it.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If it really takes monetization, then what they would have done first is sneak foundry in under the guise of supergroup bases. They could monetize asset packs(they would be able to tag existing assets for foundry use in the background) while refusing to admit that it's the foundry... only just to build a supergroup base for now. Once the proper tagging is completed, they could claim to be working on the foundry, when they already were working on the foundry in the first place, making money in the process.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    notyuu wrote: »
    What they mean by that is that it is impossible to montise it, and thus "impossible" for the game

but in all srsnss...they said the same thing about the aura system and as you can see we still don't have that...oh...WAIT, we do...all it took was for the to figure out hoow to montise it.

It may have taken longer than people wanted for the aura system to become a priority for the devs, but I don't recall anybody ever saying auras were "impossible".

Foundry isn't impossible, either. It just requires entirely too much time that could be better used on other features. This was true two years ago, and it's still true today.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The Foundry in STO is monetized; you have to be a Gold member to create stories.

The problem in here has been clearly stated a number of times over the years - the assets must be appropriately tagged so that they can be used by inexperienced people, something which was done from the start in STO and NW, and not done at all in CO. To institute a Foundry here would require having a team go through the entire game and tag all the assets appropriately; while not technically "impossible" in the way it's impossible to, say, shoot laser beams from your eyes, it's very, very highly impractical. It would take quite a long time - I'm tempted to say years - and would require paying the salaries of that team which, for all that time, will be producing nothing that contributes to the game at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Foundry here - got some adventures I did in Champions back in the day ready to rock - but it seems unlikely to the point of impossibility.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Foundry in STO is monetized; you have to be a Gold member to create stories.

Actually, you don't.
    Silver accounts are starting with no Foundry slots, but they can buy slots with dilithium.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Actually, you don't.
    Silver accounts are starting with no Foundry slots, but they can buy slots with dilithium.
    Ah, interesting.

Still a form of monetization, of course - you can either buy Zen and get dil with it, or grind up the dil and improve Cryptic's login metrics. Brilliant, really. :smile: