test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Heeeeeey Cryptic, wanna make 25 bucks?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
I finally got a build I like and am going to keep into that 5th freeform slot. Sooooooo liiiiiiike.... if you hurry up and have a FF slot sale soon, I will totally buy another slot cause I totally need that one FF slot that I have no idea what to do with and just perform wild experimentation on :)
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sellspeech like that, they're expecting you to spend $50 to it.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »

I won't tho.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I won't tho.

You go girl \o/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »

They expect too much.
  • Options
    novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They should let us build a FF slot after playing a long time. Like in warframe, either buy it one time at 10 dollars or so; or grind for days and make one. Makes it less P2W (though CO isn't P2W; only P2PVP-for-more-than-5-percent-chance-of-winning)

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    They should let us build a FF slot after playing a long time. Like in warframe, either buy it one time at 10 dollars or so; or grind for days and make one. Makes it less P2W (though CO isn't P2W; only P2PVP-for-more-than-5-percent-chance-of-winning)

But grinding for FF slots is a perk of gold membership u3u
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The pricing in the Z-store is Cryptic at best.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree. Freeform slot price should just be changed to $25. That's what we're asking for, right?
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree. Freeform slot price should just be changed to $25. That's what we're asking for, right?

That and justice for Red Bull Up Arse Cat.

redbulluparsecat_zps96cc7f05.jpg

#justiceforredbulluparsecat
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, if you buy them in a bundle you get 16 for $18.75 each (and a bunch of costumes and other goodies as an added extra). And after buying that bundle the cost drops down to $14 for 2 freeform slots. :tongue:
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 for a new FF price of $25 over 50. Also: LTS is only a good deal if you want a boat load of characters. Personally don't want a bunch of toons and will likely only end up with 3 or 4 total FFs. Options are nice and stuff.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "$50, same as in town, Father." :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    bacnnbacnn Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, if you buy them in a bundle you get 16 for $18.75 each (and a bunch of costumes and other goodies as an added extra). And after buying that bundle the cost drops down to $14 for 2 freeform slots. :tongue:
    sterga wrote: »
    +1 for a new FF price of $25 over 50.

I hope you'll all forgive me for any bitterness I may have towards this game, but you are all being far too generous towards this payment model. Let me try to explain.

Typically in games with Champion's payment model the game forces players to pay for 'required' pieces of the game(such as your character slot/class) at regular intervals, the alternative of playing without such content being closer to an extended demo. I would argue that freeform characters are a prime example of this as it was originally how the game was meant to be played before the payment model switch and it's a major feature that is flat-out removed from people who have not payed for it. Given that, here's how the game stacks up price-wise to some of it's contemporaries.

• Everquest: 8$ per character slot
    • Everquest 2: 10$ per character slot, 25$ per class(only 2 are locked)
    • City of Heroes: 6$ per character slot, no information for price of classes but only a handful were locked
    • DC Universe Online: 5$ per character slot, classes bundled with 10$ DLC packs

None of these games come anywhere close to the insanely steep 50$ that Champions asks for a single character slot with freeform enabled. 50$ would be a steep price to pay for an entire MMO, let alone a single slot in a game so eager to ask for your money at every opportunity.

I understand that most of you are dedicated fans of this game and are happy to pay that cost, but Champions need to be cheap enough for new people to consider playing. Champions Online has very little value to most consumers and it can not have the popularity that it and its fans deserve until its prices are more competitive.
  • Options
    ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bacnn wrote: »
    I hope you'll all forgive me for any bitterness I may have towards this game, but you are all being far too generous towards this payment model. Let me try to explain.

Typically in games with Champion's payment model the game forces players to pay for 'required' pieces of the game(such as your character slot/class) at regular intervals, the alternative of playing without such content being closer to an extended demo. I would argue that freeform characters are a prime example of this as it was originally how the game was meant to be played before the payment model switch and it's a major feature that is flat-out removed from people who have not payed for it. Given that, here's how the game stacks up price-wise to some of it's contemporaries.

• City of Heroes: 6$ per character slot, no information for price of classes but only a handful were locked

None of these games come anywhere close to the insanely steep 50$ that Champions asks for a single character slot with freeform enabled. 50$ would be a steep price to pay for an entire MMO, let alone a single slot in a game so eager to ask for your money at every opportunity.

I understand that most of you are dedicated fans of this game and are happy to pay that cost, but Champions need to be cheap enough for new people to consider playing. Champions Online has very little value to most consumers and it can not have the popularity that it and its fans deserve until its prices are more competitive.
    50 bucks is a pretty large sum of cash for something like that. Especially considering that there are games out there like Guild Wars 2 that charge 50 for a one time purchase with full access to the game and no sub. Hell, I'd be fine if they knocked the subscription fee down a few bucks. Honestly, I think that'd be a better way to get people back into the game as well as letting them enjoy all that it has to offer. As much as I love this game (it was my first long-term MMO) I can't see myself paying that much for a sub again or spending 50 dollars for one character slot in the condition that it's in at the moment.

And it sucks because I miss this game. I keep checking in hoping that SOMETHING has changed but it never really does. lol
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Have they changed the purchasable FF slot so it can be used on existing characters? Or does it still only apply to unused character slots.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2015

None of these games come anywhere close to the insanely steep 50$ that Champions asks for a single character slot with freeform enabled.
    And none of them provide the flexibility of a freeform character. If you just want extra character slots, you get 2 for $14 in CO.
  • Options
    novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And none of them provide the flexibility of a freeform character. If you just want extra character slots, you get 2 for $14 in CO.

Then again, those games mentioned AREN'T based on the FF slot.
    For a player to enjoy equal to others, he would have to pay the aforesaid amount.
    In CO, the same would cost $50.

These aren't my words / opinion but it is what I interpreted from bacnn's words.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The price is actually 50$ minus however much free questionite you converted into zen. So basically, the more you're willing to "work" for it, the less it costs.

One thing that keeps driving me away from other MMOs is when I start playing and I realize I can't farm cash shop currency, or that it's a big pain in the butt compared to CO's ezmode cash farming system. CO has spoiled me in that regard.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I'm not paying for any of my FF slots, someone else is. I'm buying all their Q-Crates and magically turning it into zen. Frankly, I don't agree with what some of those games try to sell customers. PoE is the only game I believe has a nearly perfect cash shop. Outside of a few things, CO has decent prices for stuff. But I could say the same for most other game's cash shops.

And I don't play those other games because they're icky.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ok,
    FF slot $50- purchase- you have it regardless.

FF gold $15 per month- RENTAL- you only have them while you pay the rent.
    we want FF slots
    ok here you are.
    they cost too much.
    Why can't I use it on an existing character?
    Because it's a NEW slot.

we want colour tinting and emanation points.
    oh and last week;
    why don't silver get a free slot at 40?
    why don't silver get a free retcon at 40?

because you're not paying the rental.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm in. C'mon cryptic... each day you don't do this is a day you could instead potentially be making at least $50.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I got my FF slots for only $12.50 each. Of course, I had to buy the bundle of sixteen, but it did come with a bunch of other benefits...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I got my FF slots for 10$ each.

5 slots, 50$ total spent. 50 / 5 = 10.

I win.
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Freeform slots go for $50 because the Gold members are petty and start crying bloody murder if they're sold for any less. That's why.

If I had my way, FF slots would be sold at $10 each.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    foxyperson wrote: »
    Freeform slots go for $50 because the Gold members are petty and start crying bloody murder if they're sold for any less. That's why.

Riiiiight, obviously gold players are to blame. PWE and Cryptic actually hold private meetings with the Champions Online Gold Players Labor Union to make sure that the demands of gold players are met and that their rights are being protected.

Tinfoil hat much?
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why would Gold players even care? It doesn't affect them in any way. Conspiracy theories that make no sense whatsoever are the BEST! :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2015

You are a Gold member. Are you petty and have your cried bloody murder if FF lots are sold for less than $50 ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Before Freeform Slots were an actual thing (there was a time when they weren't) there was a huge thread on the forums about how there should be Freeform Slots. Most of the people arguing for the existence of Freeform Slots agreed that a fair price for them was $30 to $50.

I know the forum users don't make up a huge amount of the playerbase, but if people want their voice heard, avoiding the forums is not the best way to go around that. It's quite possible that the developers took their cue from the players that were asking for the Freeform Slots, and gave them what they wanted.

Let's not arbitrarily blame people for things they had nothing to do with.

Also, I don't think anyone at all cried bloody murder when the slots went on sale for 50% off.

So... good times.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Really? Cause I'm not gold... and I was one of the people saying that Free Form slots should have a high price.

So... am I petty for saying that something I would be buying should be expensive? At which point in this would I be crying bloody murder... and would I be crying it at myself? n.n
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Before Freeform Slots were an actual thing (there was a time when they weren't) there was a huge thread on the forums about how there should be Freeform Slots. Most of the people arguing for the existence of Freeform Slots agreed that a fair price for them was $30 to $50.

I know the forum users don't make up a huge amount of the playerbase, but if people want their voice heard, avoiding the forums is not the best way to go around that. It's quite possible that the developers took their cue from the players that were asking for the Freeform Slots, and gave them what they wanted.

Let's not arbitrarily blame people for things they had nothing to do with.

Also, I don't think anyone at all cried bloody murder when the slots went on sale for 50% off.

So... good times.

I remember that. Even then I thought the price was stupid. It's worse now since I think it can be safely assumed that FF slot sales are not the big money maker for CO by a long shot.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Whoever had the idea to sell the FF Slot for 5000 Zen is a Freaking Moron
    and if that desision was taken from Feedbacks the Vocal Minority of the CO Forum Community gave, it make things ever WORSE

For Starters, It cost more than a Monthly Sub

It has no option to change power colours/Pets' Skin and without that feature it DOESN'T Deserve that Price

Another horrible Cryptic Marketing Decision which I hope Cryptic will reconsider

In my opinion, it should have been 2000-2500 Zen
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    doomedluke1doomedluke1 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    2 character slots cost about 1400Z if I'm not mistaken, and a new AT costs 1150Z... If my opinion matters in any means, I think a fair price for a FF would be something like Avianos said, between 2000 and 2500Z. Obviously, I'd prefer 2000. I'd probably already have a lot more than the 2 FF slots I have now, which I bought last year, during the sales that happened.

I think it would be also nice if silvers finally got access to power tinting. Strangely, getting the Globals cap raise gave me hope that this could happen in a near future.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I got my FF slots for only $12.50 each. Of course, I had to buy the bundle of sixteen, but it did come with a bunch of other benefits...

ok where do I give this the uptick?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg