test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do you stay with CO?

ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
With the vast majority of MMOs out there, I often question why I find myself returning to CO from time to time. The game has ALOT of issues and lack of constant updates kind of scares me. I played CO for 2 years straight and grew quite attached to it then had to break myself away from it because I didn't want to get too invested in something only to have it end up like CoX. I've played other games with better support, frequent updates, less bugs, etc...But I just can't seem to leave CO behind. It's like a bad relationship you know you shouldn't be in but still go back to it. lol.

For me, it's definitely the fact that it's a great superhero sim with an awesome character creator. DCU's was a POS compared to this one. And the game has one of the most devout communities I've ever seen. Sure it has it's share of jerks and immature players (what game doesn't?) But I made some great friends in CO. I'm not sure if they're playing anymore but I have fond memories with some members of of my SG. I'm trying to decide if I want to start playing again..

But why does everyone else stay here?
Post edited by ruuki on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm going to be as blunt as possible.

I have lifetime. Free ride until it gets a revolution or it dies.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's the customization of the character creator, powers, and Nemesis and such. You'd be hard pressed to find another game that could compare. I enjoy being creative and my altitis here shows that.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because I enjoy it.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    customization. and thats pretty much it. co has more appearance options than dcou, and other games with specific settings are too specific to give me he freedom i want. that said i haven't played since around September when we got the new stuff. predictably the attention died off. but i keep coming back to see if any new stuff has come around, which i dont do with other games i tried. if they had really ever tried with co, it would have been really great.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    no other game holds my interest
  • had2mergehad2merge Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I play because I can use just about anything that inspires me, and turn it into a super hero I can play.

Recently I got the old Bewitched tv shows on disc and watched them and love Endora. (Played by the wonderfully talented Agnes Moorehead) Logged in and was able to take this :

Endora-bewitched-4052005-438-329.jpg Endora

and make it into this :

Andorable.jpg Andorable

Heck one of my favorite super heroes I made was from eating chocolate covered cherries. Her outfit is black with "cherries" all over it, even all of her powers (mostly tele ones) are hue'd to look very cherry.

Chocolate_Cherry_Hero.jpg

Don't know of any other MMO that gives me this much freedom to use random bit of inspiration to bring something so awesome to life. (*virtual life, that is*)
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Champions Online was the first game I ever had enough interest in to Pre-Order.
    It was the first game I downloaded from anywhere but Steam.
    It is FAR and away the game I've been with the longest.
    I love the ability to customise my toons.
    It is also my Awesome Fix.
    Whenever I need to just kick some cartoon tail.
    I've been here since the beginning and I'll be here till the end.
    Hopefully many, many years hence!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Like the previous posters have stated
    customization

....and her Dtyxsfq.jpg

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Customizaztion.

I've tried other games with good gameplay but lousy customization--I can't stay with them.

For me CUSTOMIZATION IS A FORM OF GAMEPLAY.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cause the other super mmos are either shut down or s*** or BOTH!
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because superheroes.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because it's fun. Even playing the same content, it has to be played differently with different power sets. Captain Punchfist can (and does) charge into everything headfirst, punching it into submission; Electrocutie is a little more squishy, and has to stand off and zap things from a little further away; Dr. Destiny's best attack (so far, I had to delete him once and have the replacement only up to around lvl 8 or 9) has to be dropped around him, so he has to sneak up to the bad guys, drop his sigils, and then wait there after the fight until that power comes off cooldown.

Even adding a power can change things up, like when Hypernova picked up Eye Beams at lvl 17. He's up to 28 now, working on Monster Island, and it's kind of fun to line up the Birds and Rats from a distance, burn them down with the Eye Beams (with 20/20 Fission to burn through to the target behind), then pummel the Stags and Bears with his superhuman strength.

Also the customization thing, both as cited above and because this is the only game that will let me make holiday-specific toons like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Pain Deer or Undead Abraham Lincoln ("Sevenscore and ten years ago, assassin John Wilkes Booth shot him to death. But you know what they say - you can't keep a good man down...").
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • horripilantehorripilante Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cause Lifetime and , right now, almost all MMOs are medieval fantasy stuff which i don't like

also DCU doesn't do the cut, and the Marvel one is "play as a pre-rendered car
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well... Where else am I going to be all these crazy things?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1. I can play a male beast character that isn't the usual musclebound Proud Warrior Race Guy or locked into a melee class. Not that I mind either, but choices, ya know?

2. I friggin' love the graphics style.

3. As far as MMOs go, this is the best one I've found when it comes to customization. +1 that you don't need ultra high spec computers to enjoy it.

4. Champions has been an inspiration for me in writing my story. I'm afraid to call it a novel. :P

5. I've found that this game has one of the most mature playerbases out there.

6. I friggin' love the graphics style.

7. This game encourages you to play how you want instead of favoring a small set of skills/abilities. Truly, you're the hero you want to be.

8. I haven't renewed my Pirate101 sub yet. Jk.

9. Another shout out to the community, but you guys truly make the most of this game.
    Costume contests, giveaways, extremely helpful players; I could go on.

10. It's one of the few MMORPGs that emphasize the RPG element.

That's all I can think of right now. XP
    Champions: @ace112233
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My friends play this game and none of the others I like. Also helps that it's one of the few games that isn't a traditional fantasy based one.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    original.jpg

"I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO!"

Former CoX junkie, and not interested in MMOs as much as super-heroes. We're currently the only game in town (DCUO isn't an option...I have no desire to have my heroes fetch Batman's coffee).
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Because superheroes.

This. The customization and art style is nice as well. And the combat doesn't make me want to slap someone so that's cool too. Beyond that, the other superhero games out now are either too deficient and lacking in things I want or they are in formats I never liked (and will never) and can never get used to (point and click movement a ****).
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    2 reasons:

1. I can make really cool looking super heroes that hippity hop around all fast and make big explosions.

2. I can play it while still playing other video games as well.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Customization. My characters are my own. From build to appearance there is no sense that I am playing anything other than my own creation.

...and the travel powers.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because, spaghethultu be my witness, I believe that Champions Online is the best one on the market for a superhero setting.

You'd probably note if you saw my characters that by and large, I don't go for superhero characters.
    I am in mad love with the necromancer, the supervillain, the paladin, the ancient amazon queen. The antagonists of a story who use their abilities to command others and use a position of authority well. The Imperialists, the General Zods, I can make ANY OF THEM, and what's more, their powers actually MAKE SENSE for their characters.

In any other MMO, you'd often struggle to make thizngs fit. My idea of a warlock may be different to how World of Craftwar thinks the oathbreaking wizards are. Are necromancers a subset of Conjuration magic, or a dark twist on Restoration magic? The answer may change how you see your character.

Do I want to be a shouty little general in a robot suit? YES. Napoleon complexes are awesome for drama! Do I want to be the seductive yet vaguely disturbingly corpselike ancient mentalist queen who compells those around her to obey and hurt their besties? YES ecause it is essentially the main schtick that makes Poison Ivy work but less ecoterrorist, more dark queen.

I can be Galadriel with the One Ring.

And that, is what makes this game very different. The customisability lets me play what I want to play.

(weirdly though a lot of my least played characters are straight up mutants that could fit in an X-man team but this is mostly laziness and because I use genetic modification as my catchall superpower origin story. I grew up in the 90s so that was the main kind of comic book I was expposed to.)
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like playing it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited February 2015
    Lets be serious. Customization can only carry this game so far. Its like designing a badass cosplay and you can't take it to the convention where all the new content is happening.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Apparently customization has carried the game for years for plenty of people. We get it, we get it, we get it. You're unhappy with the game, and according to your sig, not even playing the game now. That's fine, but FFS please quit being so emo about it.
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1) It's the only real superhero MMO around (for now).
    2) It's the only MMO with CoX-grade character customization (for now). CoX spoiled me forever on this one, and to me customization must be a right, not a privilege.
    3) This is the last 100% RP-friendly MMO (for now). TSW would count for me if it had player housing.
    4) My friends are here (for now).

Granted, I'm rather realistic regarding Cryptic's lack of interest, and chances are that by the time they finally deign themselves to remove CO from the D-list (when and if) it will be far too late, but meanwhile I'll enjoy what we have now.

Now, if for some reason I turn out to be wrong, CO gets the Foundry/is otherwise promoted to the B-list, and hell freezes over, then my investment will have paid a lot more dividends than expected, but even if it doesn't, I'm confident the game will at least give me my money's worth in unmatched customization and sweet RP memories with my friends.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's the only game where I can play the character, Vitality.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
    edited February 2015
    crypticbuxom is so predictible:

Lets be serious. Customization can only carry this game so far. Its like designing a badass cosplay and you can't take it to the convention where all the new content is happening.

Translation: "Everyone stop thinking about the parts they like and complain all the time!!!"
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015

What is the convention meant to represent in this analogy? Cause as far as I can tell, I can take my bad **** cosplay to all corners of the convention... for free.

Then again, I don't share this "new content" obsession that some people have for whatever reason.
  • ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And it's one of the only games where you can pretty much start off looking like a badass. For me the way your character looks plays a huge part in the enjoyment of the game. I hate starting off looking like a clown with mismatched armor or a generic looking costume (Like in DCU) :mad:

And I get why games do that...they want you to build this character and turn him into one which champions does but through it's power selection. I love how by endgame your character, especially freeform, feels like a powerhouse.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not staying. I just visit time to time.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • saburfangsaburfang Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because I can play as anthro superheroes.
  • riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Customization, and I like the super hero genre. And right now the only other choice for that is DCUO, which is somehow worse.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1. Excellent power and appearance customization
    2. Lifetime subbed
    3. nice break from all the Dark Ages or Tolkien-esque fantasy settings
    4. not many other choices for superhero MMOs atm
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    CO has spoiled me on the Customization. I just wish the rest of the game was just as enticing.

In any case, I'll try to stick around until I can get my own project rolling. (Warning: Custom Workstation/Gaming Hybrid PC is closer than it appears.) You know, because the only way to get anything done is to do it yourself nowadays.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• smashykinssmashykins Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The people.
    edited February 2015

well sure, but its the question of the thread. its what you like about it. we have all made peace with the fact that the game is full on dead(in fact a few seem to prefer it) and is just there to shake down the fanbase for lockbox keys , but at least its still playable, embalmed even.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ruuki wrote: »
    But why does everyone else stay here?

It comes down to one simple reason:

I am having fun here.

And that is ALL that matters.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited February 2015
    rianfrost wrote: »
    well sure, but its the question of the thread. its what you like about it.

The question was definitely what keeps you here. If I didn't have lifetime I simply would have given up.

I like this game but unless something big happens this year (2 or more additions similar to Mechanon update) then this is as good as it will ever get. Stagnation loses its charm after 3 years.

Where we are is depressing and denying it is even worse. Especially when the bulk of the verbal community goes out of their way to shut each other down. This is why we can't have nice things. The people who are content with subpar updates and being ripped off. And the ones that refuse to offer support to the parts of the community that needs them.

Divide and conquer. We've been destroyed.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If I ever go on CO it's because I have friends on there / it's nostalgic / I can bounce around with super jump around ren cen... There isn't currently any other MMO I can bounce around super fast for no point whatsoever now is there. <_<
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is why we can't have nice things. The people who are content with subpar updates and being ripped off.

I think you have it wrong. If no one was happy with the game it would have been closed down ages ago.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The question was definitely what keeps you here. If I didn't have lifetime I simply would have given up.

I like this game but unless something big happens this year (2 or more additions similar to Mechanon update) then this is as good as it will ever get. Stagnation loses its charm after 3 years.

Where we are is depressing and denying it is even worse. Especially when the bulk of the verbal community goes out of their way to shut each other down. This is why we can't have nice things. The people who are content with subpar updates and being ripped off. And the ones that refuse to offer support to the parts of the community that needs them.

But no one's denying that there's been stagnation. No one's arguing against it here. The topic has to do with what keeps a player playing, especially for those of us who have been at it for this many years now. I'm pretty sure there are still positive things to enjoy with the game for many of us despite the current state of things.

Also, if a player feels that they're getting their money and time's worth with the game and is satisfied with the entertainment value then I'm pretty sure they'd disagree about being ripped off.
    edited February 2015
    I think you have it wrong. If no one was happy with the game it would have been closed down ages ago.
    not that simple, publisher whim and decisions based on regional politics can play as much into those sort of calls as any kind of satisfaction metric. had pw not picked up co when atari was ditching, then it would have been lights out, regardless of satisfaction. it jsut a good thing they liked sto.

as for buxom, i doubt that anyone here would call me a great cryptic supporter, and i can think of, at most, 3 delusional cryptic supporters here, and really, i dont think what we say would really have any more power to get new content, i am betting that nc north even would like to do more, but pwi just doesn't see the numbers so nothing we say matters, and it will never get better. ever. but if you made friends or really like customization, them maybe the game is worth coming back to every few months to design a good looking character and play through the content you have already done 50 times.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Especially when the bulk of the verbal community goes out of their way to shut each other down. This is why we can't have nice things. The people who are content with subpar updates and being ripped off. And the ones that refuse to offer support to the parts of the community that needs them.

Did skylyger ghostwrite this for you? Nah, couldn't be. It's got that trademark skylyger condescension and "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE" disdain, but it's not nearly self-important enough. Better luck next time.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited February 2015

Yes, it's us disagreeing with each other on the forums that's caused all the problems.

Also, at what point is progress recognized as progress? Please give us some arbitrary rate of updates that we can cling to.
    edited February 2015
    Did skylyger ghostwrite this for you? Nah, couldn't be. It's got that trademark skylyger condescension and "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE" disdain, but it's not nearly self-important enough. Better luck next time.

Maybe buxom's a skylyger sock puppet?
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I lol'd.

Would need to reach a word count of at least 2500, as well.
    edited February 2015
    crypticbuxom is a CRUSADER, DAMMIT!!:

This is why we can't have nice things. The people who are content with subpar updates and being ripped off. And the ones that refuse to offer support to the parts of the community that needs them.

Right. Because your constant whining and complaining has accomplished soooo much. **eyeroll**
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2015
    Right. Because your constant whining and complaining has accomplished soooo much. **eyeroll**

Indeed... when someone has already demonstrated that they're completely and irrevocably deaf, screaming even further isn't going to make them magically listen. We all remember how Einstein defined insanity....