test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No More Massively

itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
This might hurt people's awareness of several games, including ours.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/01/30/massively-that-was/
Brou in Cryptic games.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Never read anything on that site that Champions Online didn't direct me to read and CO's player numbers never spiked noticeable after an article was published there. But then, most of the stories were about updates that aren't really compelling reasons to play Champions Online, like this vehicle crap and the same story a month later

oh wow look at this Cryptic promised vehicles soon after CO-day, four years before vehicles.

Well Massively archives are at least good for a laugh.
  • Options
    aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There goes the only site I knew that regularly reported on Pirate101 and Wizard101. :c

Well, regardless of how I feel about Massively, its closure pretty devastating. I hope for the best for its employees.
    Champions: @ace112233
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Did it gamergate? u3u

Nah, just good old-fashioned corporate mis-management. After AOL bought TechCrunch, they treated the old Weblogs sites not named Engadget and Autoblog like they were irrelevant. Hence the extra-salty announcement post from Brianna. I'd like to see the Joystiq and TUAW writers land around the industry. That's a lot of good writers who could improve some other sites' coverage. But the Massively team needs to find a home where they can stay together. MMOs may be a niche in the larger gaming world, but there's never a shortage of interesting stories. I'd follow them to a subsite of Kotaku or Polygon.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nah, just good old-fashioned corporate mis-management. After AOL bought TechCrunch, they treated the old Weblogs sites not named Engadget and Autoblog like they were irrelevant. Hence the extra-salty announcement post from Brianna. I'd like to see the Joystiq and TUAW writers land around the industry. That's a lot of good writers who could improve some other sites' coverage. But the Massively team needs to find a home where they can stay together. MMOs may be a niche in the larger gaming world, but there's never a shortage of interesting stories. I'd follow them to a subsite of Kotaku or Polygon.

Just speculating, but it could be also due to the fact that Massively strictly covers the MMO industry, while competitor sites like Kotaku, Polygon and Destructoid have articles on everything gaming-related and expectedly would have a much larger audience. Maybe that's why AOL felt that Massively was becoming irrelevant and prefers reader traffic to be diverted to a blog site that covers gaming and tech more generally.

Anyway, unfortunate news for sure.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    so since Cryptic had an exclusive interview arrangement with Massively about CO.

Does this mean we get interviews on different sites or none?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Maybe that's why AOL felt that Massively was becoming irrelevant and prefers reader traffic to be diverted to a blog site that covers gaming and tech more generally.

That's Joystiq, and they were first against the wall. Recode reported that closure on Tuesday. Massively and WoW Insider were just assumed from there, since those are Joystiq subsites. The TUAW conjecture first started on Thursday. No, I'm afraid AOL has abandoned the field entirely.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the heads up, Brou.

The most incredible thing from this was, AOL is still around doing stuff? I thought it was just a shell company with just a name.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the heads up, Brou.

The most incredible thing from this was, AOL is still around doing stuff? I thought it was just a shell company with just a name.

You mean like Cryptic?
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    so since Cryptic had an exclusive interview arrangement with Massively about CO.

If that's the case, maybe Cryptic can start giving interviews for Champions at conventions and other places where people who want to look for games can actually find out it exists.

I'm starting to encounter more and more people who never even knew that Champions Online even launched!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited January 2015
    Sorry to hear about people losing thir jobs, but otherwise I'm hardly smashed.

*shrug*

Never cared about their site and the only time when I was reading through Massively was when someone posted links about CO... On this forums.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wait-what.jpg

I dont really read many game sites in English so never payed much attention to them but reading that it makes no sense for AOL to shut them down as they seemed to be getting more readers and making more money year on year.

Shutting them down seems stupid.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    Well, that's AOL for you.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I dont really read many game sites in English so never payed much attention to them but reading that it makes no sense for AOL to shut them down as they seemed to be getting more readers and making more money year on year.

AOL executive level business decision making meeting:
    428be8ef0a6860_full.gif
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm still somewhat taken aback and astonished every time I hear that AOL still exists. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wow, just wow. While i know this kind of thing happens daily in the corporate world, this one seems as reverse logic driven as when CoH was shut down.

AoL= Arrogant old loons in my vocab now just as NC soft is Now Clearly Soft in the head.

**** ever corporate dictator who makes their decisions with no care to customer loyalty/employee loyalty and the fan bases they are lucky enough to have had build up around them.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    WOO! Just when I thought people were dealing with it in a fine manner, YOU SIR delivered the overreaction I was hoping for!

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WIN!
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While it is generally sad to see people lose their jobs (unless they had it coming), as unpopular as this may seem, I don't see what the big deal here is. It's just business as they say. This is par for the course for media corporations. Then again, most forms of journalism always seem lacking to me these days so maybe I'm biased in my lack of sympathy.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lestylo wrote: »
    While it is generally sad to see people lose their jobs (unless they had it coming), as unpopular as this may seem, I don't see what the big deal here is. It's just business as they say. This is par for the course for media corporations. Then again, most forms of journalism always seem lacking to me these days so maybe I'm biased in my lack of sympathy.

Thing is like I said before it makes no sense to shut down somthing that is making money and getting views :I

People are losing their jobs for no good reason and thats always wrong.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2015

CO is going to be invisible after this because Massively actually had a way to filter down to superhero games, and reported more often about us than other sites ever did(because once in a while is better than never.)

We'll have to rely on Perfect World to advertise our presence, which is never going to happen. We just stopped showing up on ARC's front page. It's the last thing we need right now.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    CO is going to be invisible after this because Massively actually had a way to filter down to superhero games, and reported more often about us than other sites ever did(because once in a while is better than never.)

We'll have to rely on Perfect World to advertise our presence, which is never going to happen. We just stopped showing up on ARC's front page. It's the last thing we need right now.

True, though part of me hopes this forces CO and so forth into pushing this game in other ways rather than being lazy or complacent or whatever and relying on Massively.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    True, though part of me hopes this forces CO and so forth into pushing this game in other ways rather than being lazy or complacent or whatever and relying on Massively.

Does the other part of you beat that part for having dumb hopes?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Part of you needs to stop drinking.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Part of you needs to stop drinking.

That part's named Tony Stark so there's not much I can do about that. :frown:
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2015

Yeah.

Myself, I'm also somewhat lacking in a sympathy for an internet journalism, especially internet gaming journalism.

It kiiinda makes me unsensitive on this issue, lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP

When the going gets tough, the tough get Kickstarted.

(And I even like the banner.)
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Mostly C/P from my update post on CORP.

* Part of Joystiq will be operating under the Engadget banner in a new section of that sister blog-- uncreatively titled (for now) Joystiq X Engadget.
    * Someone already mentioned the Massively thing, so I cut that.

So, it's not all gone to ground, it seems like, but it still won't be the same as we've known them. As always, "please look forward to it".
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The new site is up and running, and off to a flying start:

http://massivelyop.net/
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They're trying to come back to life, if you want to support their KS.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Love it. AoL tried to shut down Massively. Massively gave zero ***** carried on as normal :D
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Love it. AoL tried to shut down Massively. Massively gave zero ***** carried on as normal :D

Which makes you wonder... if it was literally that easy to keep it running, why did AOL try to shut it down?
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Which makes you wonder... if it was literally that easy to keep it running, why did AOL try to shut it down?
    It might not have been profitable. It might have been profitable, but not profitable enough to be worth the trouble of running. It might have been a victim of internal corporate politics. It might have just not fit in with their road map of future development.

Until we know if the new massively is a self-sustaining profitable business, it's not easy to say which of those it was.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    According to Massively staff, not only was the site profitable, but gaining readers year-over-year. Probably wasn't raking in oodles of dollars though. The kickstarted goal was reached in the first few days. I bet Massively knew their jobs were going before any official word and they set up a contigency plan. OP was up pretty damn fast, afterall.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    It might not have been profitable. It might have been profitable, but not profitable enough to be worth the trouble of running. It might have been a victim of internal corporate politics. It might have just not fit in with their road map of future development.

Until we know if the new massively is a self-sustaining profitable business, it's not easy to say which of those it was.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Things started going to $#!^ at the Joystiq sites right after AOL bought TechCrunch.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I didn't even know Massively was still around. I only went there when Cryptic pretty much told us too and I don't remember the last time they did that.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!