test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The size of Millenium City

cmoikalmeurcmoikalmeur Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
Hey guys !

You remember City Of Heroes ? Of Paragon City ? Champions Online is a fantastic game, but when I'm playing it, and when I compare it to my favorite game ever that is COH (rest in peace), well, Millenium City is like, hum, like a dust, whereas in COH, Paragon city IS what we call a city. What do you think about it ? Don't you miss our old big city ? Or do you prefear it more simple and organized ( and smaller btw ) ? :D

Kal'
Post edited by cmoikalmeur on

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey guys !

You remember City Of Heroes ? Of Paragon City ? Champions Online is a fantastic game, but when I'm playing it, and when I compare it to my favorite game ever that is COH (rest in peace), well, Millenium City is like, hum, like a dust, whereas in COH, Paragon city WAS what we call a city. What do you think about it ? Don't you miss our old big city ? Or do you prefear it more simple and organized ( and smaller btw ) ? :D

Kal'

It's not our city.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited January 2015
    Millenium City zone can't be made larger. It already reached a max size for a zone possible with the game engine. It's map is actually bigger than Desert or Canada, just because it is covered in buildings it looks smaller.

Any enlargement made to the MC could be only achieved by adding additional maps for other city districts.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe Paragon City seemed larger because you couldn't fly the moment you started the game? I mean, try walking across MC some time - it's a lot bigger if you don't use movement powers.

(I can't verify this, but I'm told it takes longer to walk across Mill City than across the lesser continent on Azaroth.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    On one very bored day, Offender took a stroll around the perimeter of Millennium City, and boy did that take long.

I don't think it's larger than Azeroth, but it's still big.
    biffsig.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If I recall what I was told by Tumerboy, at the time, MC is approximately 1 mile x 3 miles give or take on the exploration area of it. Most zones in CoH were roughly 1 mile x 1 mile blocks with a few odd balls here and there as a comparison. However, I do know Champions needs more zones, I don't think anyone will disagree with that.

The problem with Champions is the travel powers are fast, way fast. In fact at launch the travel powers were so fast they were causing people to desynch with the server so they had to slow them down. But even the slowest travel power would take no less than a minute, maybe a little bit more to cross the entire city, and that lies one of Champs biggest problems currently and why it feels so small.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey guys !

You remember City Of Heroes ? Of Paragon City ? Champions Online is a fantastic game, but when I'm playing it, and when I compare it to my favorite game ever that is COH (rest in peace), well, Millenium City is like, hum, like a dust, whereas in COH, Paragon city IS what we call a city. What do you think about it ? Don't you miss our old big city ? Or do you prefear it more simple and organized ( and smaller btw ) ? :D

Kal'

As a player of both I have to say I like Mill City better. Not all cities need to be massive a good example of this in Scotland where I live.

Theres Glasgow with its suburbs included that has a population of like 3 million ( thats half the pop of Scotland @_@ ), Then theres Edinburgh 40 miles east of Glasgow with its burbs counted has a pop of around 700'000, but look at all the stuff that came from Edinburgh. Dolly the sheep, Grand Theft Auto, and more importantly TELEVISIONS!

Cities dont need to be epic to be epic.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey guys !

You remember City Of Heroes ? Of Paragon City ? Champions Online is a fantastic game, but when I'm playing it, and when I compare it to my favorite game ever that is COH (rest in peace), well, Millenium City is like, hum, like a dust, whereas in COH, Paragon city IS what we call a city. What do you think about it ? Don't you miss our old big city ? Or do you prefer it more simple and organized ( and smaller btw ) ? :D

Kal'
    why are you assuming that everyone here is from CoH?

no, never played it.
    In fact,The first I ever heard of that game was the news that Paragon studios was put into liquidation in August 2012.
    I've been playing this game for 3 1/2 years and never heard any mention of COH until that point.
    Before that I played other games and heard no mention.
    I've been a member of a gaming Club for about 20 years now, with a lot of people who discuss the mixed assortment of video games they play and never heard of it from any of them.

Strange as it may seem, not everyone played that game.

Have you checked out what size maps the 2 attempts at followups have? You should be able to ask on their forums.

I know at least one, has some pictures of the buildings.
    One, I know, has done early alpha testing, not sure if it's still open for walk throughs.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited January 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    why are you assuming that everyone here is from CoH?

no, never played it.
    In fact,The first I ever heard of that game was the news that Paragon studios was put into liquidation in August 2012.
    I've been playing this game for 3 1/2 years and never heard any mention of COH until that point.
    Before that I played other games and heard no mention.
    I've been a member of a gaming Club for about 20 years now, with a lot of people who discuss the mixed assortment of video games they play and never heard of it from any of them.

Strange as it may seem, not everyone played that game.

Have you checked out what size maps the 2 attempts at followups have? You should be able to ask on their forums.

I know at least one, has some pictures of the buildings.
    One, I know, has done early alpha testing, not sure if it's still open for walk throughs.

Odd thing the same type of post was posted in the WoW forums, some guy moaning about the size of settlements and that CoH had a better city/town.

Their answer was.

U WOT M8!
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    i thought this thread looked familiar.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=261691
    And properly, rather than necro the old thread, the OP opened a new one to beat the horse in.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I like Mil City for how it doesn't have quarantine zones. I liked Paragon because the streets and neighborhoods actually had character.
  • putyeshestvyenikputyeshestvyenik Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    On one very bored day, Offender took a stroll around the perimeter of Millennium City, and boy did that take long.

I don't think it's larger than Azeroth, but it's still big.

He didn't say it was bigger than the whole world of Azeroth, but that it might be bigger than one of the smaller continents. It's been awhile since I played WoW but I'd say comparing walking to walking would be interesting. Of course part of your problem measuring with walking would be aggro mobs slowing you down - perhaps more of a problem in WoW. It also depends on which direction you go since parts of continents over there are skinny and MC looks pretty round to me.

Regardless of measure, I agree that looking at it Millenium City seems pretty huge, especially considering it's just one place. And I for one am sooooo grateful they let you have travel powers, even stuff like flight or teleportation, right at the beginning or close enough to it. I mean once I learned about the power icon that lets you remotely add powers I was flying around in the tutorial in almost no time.

I didn't get in on CoH - I forget what I was doing back then, but I was definitely wondering a lot about it and mourned its passing (especially with the CoV aspect). Part of the deal there, too was I felt like I couldn't reasonably play more than one MMORPG - not enough time. In fact once I was playing an MMORPG I didn't really play any other games. In any case I never saw Paragon City so I have no basis for comparison there.
    ----

Do you like this game? Do you want it to get better? Put your money where your mouth is! Go for the Gold!
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    co does individual zones differently, coh had a large number of smaller zones than mc but added together, they made a larger area. but the city was the entirety of the game, even the praetoria zones were still city zones. by comparison a lot of zones in co are wild-lands style areas with minimal civilization, like lemuria(still one of the most beautiful areas i have seen in an mmo ever) and monster island. that's actually something i pushed for a lot back on coh to get an area like that since i felt that a lost lands type area with monsters and dinosaurs as a staple of every comic continuity that i could remember, we had a small monster island area, but that was jsut the boring, golem-like enemies of the devoring earth. first ward was kind of like that, but it still was a city, just a smashed out one.

but id say the biggest issue is that coh kept adding new areas and revamping existing ones to look significantly better, like faultine and dark astoria, and adding enemies and missions, so it grew, co added one zone years ago revamped mill city's mission chain a few times, and then stopped growing entirely. so in the end coh was larger because it kept growing, co started with bigger zones but then stopped adding new areas years ago after one try.
    However, I do know Champions needs more zones, I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
    ow, we actually agreed on something, check status of dogs and cats living together. :P
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Try walking around MC without a TP or using only ninja vanish and you may think differently.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, the city zone map is actually far larger than most of the individual zones in CoH. One of my few complaints about CoH is that it sometimes felt... claustrophobic.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    double post. See the next one.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Apologizes to the OP, but I've never played those games, but I seriously took up that challenge a year ago when this topic last came up. I took a 40th level hero and walked the entire perimeter of the map. Took over an hour. I just got in my U.N.T.I.L. Shuttle and buzzed the city in about ten minutes. Most Flight powers are about the same, give or take a few minutes. Not sure I'd enjoy this game that I'd have to endure long treks to and from each mission.

And now a silly question - How come no one every gets misty eyed over the loss of Pong.
    -
    a8a84a678d19ab249e64616f4d222d3d?AccessKeyId=704EE3C834099DA87E2F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Because people can still play Pong?
    edited January 2015
    People can still play CoH, just, by themselves.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited January 2015
    With no enemies to fight either. Or has that hacking program gone even deeper lately?
    edited January 2015
    With no enemies to fight either. Or has that hacking program gone even deeper lately?

I actualy think they are getting close to getting things to smack in the face.
    edited January 2015
    Last I heard, no NPCs, but I don't keep up on it.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Last I heard, no NPCs, but I don't keep up on it.

I haunt the forums. Theres like bits of code for stuff. Its like bits and bobs thats not very usefull but its there. Though seems no one worked on it since 2013 .... http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A
    And now a silly question - How come no one every gets misty eyed over the loss of Pong.
    -
    a8a84a678d19ab249e64616f4d222d3d?AccessKeyId=704EE3C834099DA87E2F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

because after a few hours of pong.........pong............pong, you are ready to murder someone, preferably the person who made.

Super mario bros, my freind and I played so much, we were hearing dit,didit da dit in our sleep.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    I haunt the forums. Theres like bits of code for stuff. Its like bits and bobs thats not very usefull but its there. Though seems no one worked on it since 2013 .... http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon

Static contact and merchant NPCs are there, so you can get a selfie with Manticore, but they don't do anything but loop their idle animations. Interactions, dynamic NPCs, and mobs all require the server, which would be significant scope creep for Icon and an invitation to a Cease & Desist order from NCSoft. (Hell, I'm surprised some trigger-happy NCSoft lawyer hasn't taken a shot at Icon as it is.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A valid comment was made that the cities for the two games are structured differently. Millennium City is as big as some of the largest zones in Paragon City/Rogue Isles but it's just a single city instead of parts broken up. Travel powers put an alternate spin on things since while they're much faster, the default walk speed is a lot slower and has a lot fewer options to increase it.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    edited January 2015
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    A valid comment was made that the cities for the two games are structured differently. Millennium City is as big as some of the largest zones in Paragon City/Rogue Isles but it's just a single city instead of parts broken up. Travel powers put an alternate spin on things since while they're much faster, the default walk speed is a lot slower and has a lot fewer options to increase it.

Personally, I love the idea of personal flight so much that all my heroes fly. I do enjoy the look of a speedster when they ZOOOOOOOOOM by.
    -
    Flagspeed-001.jpg
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    People can still play CoH, just, by themselves.
    I would pay very large amounts of money to be able to do that. sadly this is only true by a very broad definition of play. (plus you guys would finally get rid of me here, so win-win.:P )
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey guys !

Kal'

Hmm.. I understand your sentiment; however, Millenium City and City of Heroes are laid out differently. I've played COH for 5 years and I've signed up for this game when COH was shut down. Not everyone has played this game, as some has posted before me, so please try to refrain from doing so again.

MC is one big city area with a lot of different things going on at once, and you can travel to different parts of the world and underwater (Canada, Monster Island, Lemuria) with a short trip to the moon and a small dimension.

COH was split up into sections; you traveled from one part to the other and each part had a different look and feel to it, much like the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, NY. No space travel, but there was access to other dimensions (Praetoria [parallel]), Shadow Zone, and Ouroboros).

When you do missions in MC, some of them are linked to other areas in the city. A short trip via your own travel power will get you there.

When you did missions in COH, you had to travel from one area to the next via mass transit If
    the mission was out of the area. For example, if you started in Atlas Park and had a linked mission to go to Kings Row, you had to take the train to get there.

As far as size, I would say that COH was bigger simply because it had more content and it was around longer than CO at this moment. However, CO will grow as time goes by and more content is released.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kyastral wrote: »
    As far as size, I would say that COH was bigger simply because it had more content and it was around longer than CO at this moment. However, CO will grow as time goes by and more content is released.

I REALLY would love to believe that, but it is 5 years in. We have a skeleton crew of Devs working on this game. So it is a fat chance to see any sort of expansion to this game. It was neat to get the space station, so I don't want to sound ungrateful for what we have.

But do not expect any additional full zones and you will be happy.

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited January 2015
    kyastral wrote: »

5170645.gif
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Our travel powers are just faster. Because our game is better.