test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Casuals

2»

Comments

• modru35modru35 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I build fail builds for the new exploit style of pvp.
    I always build my way win or lose.
    I still get kills regardless.
    I may not win.
    I do however get kills.
    Theme build pvp would be awesome.
    look for me in game as @modru31
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Alright, folks.

My hope is to make teams of 2 on 2 or 3 or 3, using the Team Duel option, to allow for moving around (no ring-outs).

If people would rather do 1 on 1 duels with the ring, that's good, too.

Another option would be using the dueling arenas in the PowerHouse.

EDIT: Something's come up an I won't be in game that late today. I hope to get this going tomorrow.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Alright, folks.

My hope is to make teams of 2 on 2 or 3 or 3, using the Team Duel option, to allow for moving around (no ring-outs).

If people would rather do 1 on 1 duels with the ring, that's good, too.

Another option would be using the dueling arenas in the PowerHouse.

EDIT: Something's come up an I won't be in game that late today. I hope to get this going tomorrow.

Teams plz. Ever since the team hero games ques broke I've been jonesing for team pvp action n_n

and yay for no ringouts, since I plan to bring my might character :3

I'll try to be on tommorow....stupid steam sale has basically made it so I haven't played CO in like two weeks u3u
    edited January 2015
    edited January 2015
    Trying some impromptu PvP right now.

Let's try to organize for tomorrow.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • duskenradholm#2484 duskenradholm Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd be glad to get in on this. I don't have any 40s at the moment but I hope that doesn't change much! (SKing is a thing, anyway, especially if we're doing team stuff!)

I'll be out of town the next couple weeks, but I'm available pretty much available whenever otherwise!
    edited January 2015
    Hey hey, DarkFenrir!

We had fun tonight--thought you were on.

Had some 2 on 2, 3 on 3, and 5 on 5 fights. A few people showed up with elite PvP builds and dominated a couple fights. A couple refused to swap out to less powerful toons, which was too bad, because they couldn't participate anymore.

I'll organize more of these little events.

Remember:

1. If you are dominating the PvP, and people ask you to change toons, congratz! You won. Now move on to another hero.

2. The point is to have fun, fun for all. If you have fun only by always winning, then PvP Casuals isn't for you.

3. There are no prohibited builds or powers. The only rule is to bow out or change toons when it's clear you're dominating.

You may ask, "Who gets to say that my toon is out? Why do I have to change heroes?"
    If you are asking those questions . . . then you really do need to change heroes for this kind of PvP.

Thanks!

• stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey hey, DarkFenrir!

We had fun tonight--thought you were on.

Had some 2 on 2, 3 on 3, and 5 on 5 fights. A few people showed up with elite PvP builds and dominated a couple fights. A couple refused to swap out to less powerful toons, which was too bad, because they couldn't participate anymore.

I'll organize more of these little events.

Remember:

1. If you are dominating the PvP, and people ask you to change toons, congratz! You won. Now move on to another hero.

2. The point is to have fun, fun for all. If you have fun only by always winning, then PvP Casuals isn't for you.

3. There are no prohibited builds or powers. The only rule is to bow out or change toons when it's clear you're dominating.

You may ask, "Who gets to say that my toon is out? Why do I have to change heroes?"
    If you are asking those questions . . . then you really do need to change heroes for this kind of PvP.

Thanks!

We had some TDs yesterday as well, not anything organised and all, just advertised in zone and PH for 5 mins and people joined.

We didn't rule out fotms/aopms, hence 8 people were fotm with different attacks only, but that wasn't the problem. Only thing we ruled out were devices, because many people just weren't pro enough and all. Guess what though? After some guys lost 1-2 times, the field became nighthawk vs sapphire vs pheromones. The warnings weren't enough and when we decided to kick some guys, the fun was already ruined for everyone.
    edited January 2015
    @stergiosman

Just be up front about the situation before it starts. If you are choosing teams, then spoil-sports simply don't get on a team. Next time, we'll designate some team captains to avoid this situation. Of course, now that we know the spoilers, we can exclude them from the beginning.
    They can go back to the same old one on one dueling with the same old builds that they usually do.

• mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We had some TDs yesterday as well, not anything organised and all, just advertised in zone and PH for 5 mins and people joined.

We didn't rule out fotms/aopms, hence 8 people were fotm with different attacks only, but that wasn't the problem. Only thing we ruled out were devices, because many people just weren't pro enough and all. Guess what though? After some guys lost 1-2 times, the field became nighthawk vs sapphire vs pheromones. The warnings weren't enough and when we decided to kick some guys, the fun was already ruined for everyone.

Just say "umadproh" then do the lickpaw emote and report them for anything you can think of.
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just say "umadproh" then do the lickpaw emote and report them for anything you can think of.

B00M_RAWR!

Silly kids. I beat them all and they ask for their bodyguards, or they go to their stupid threads asking for proof. I gave them proof and they cried, now I don't care about them, I just kill them all. Like shrimp....

(etc, etc)
    edited January 2015
    B00M_RAWR!

Silly kids. I beat them all and they ask for their bodyguards, or they go to their stupid threads asking for proof. I gave them proof and they cried, now I don't care about them, I just kill them all. Like shrimp....

(etc, etc)

OMG the lucidity syndicate surrenders!
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Something like this needs very clear, and exact, rules on what is and what is not allowed.

Otherwise, this can become very messy.
    edited January 2015
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Something like this needs very clear, and exact, rules on what is and what is not allowed.

But you can't truly put rules on in a game like CO because people have different idea's of what is OP and what is not. Also no matter what you allow and disallow there will always be a "FOTM" in there somewhere.
    edited January 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Nope because:

The way it was being run was fine. as soon as one person starts dominating everything else they are asked to alt or leave as they have graduated and can now go do BASH or something.

Did you just answer his statement with a quote of my answer to it? -_-
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nope because:

The way it was being run was fine. as soon as one person starts dominating everything else they are asked to alt or leave as they have graduated and can now go do BASH or something.
    Did you just answer his statement with a quote of my answer to it? -_-

yes

also this sounds even more terrible everyday

WANT CASUAL PVP? INVITE YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR SG MATES, the people you know that aren't PVP. You're posting this **** on HERO GAMES FORUM, YOU should BLOCK all of the people from entering the pvp event that frequent this part of the forum. I don't know how casual you can be, if a regular pvp'er makes a CASUAL BUILD, he'd still kick ****. This sounds like the GIMP YOUR BUILD thread where you make your build ****ty as possible, just to be a part of something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    pallihwtf wrote: »
    WANT CASUAL PVP? INVITE YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR SG MATES, the people you know that aren't PVP. You're posting this **** on HERO GAMES FORUM, YOU should BLOCK all of the people from entering the pvp event that frequent this part of the forum. I don't know how casual you can be, if a regular pvp'er makes a CASUAL BUILD, he'd still kick ****. This sounds like the GIMP YOUR BUILD thread where you make your build ****ty as possible, just to be a part of something.

As much as I hate agreeing with this... I really do. >_>

Nothing against anyone, and I won't argue otherwise, it's just the way I feel about it.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
    edited January 2015

as a reply to the above posts, again, I like to emphasis this.....again.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The SG I am most involved in does a pvp tournament every week to usually great success...typically not a whole lot of rules are involved(no devices being the only consistent one) A few builds outshine the others and occasionally there is a slugfest that will go on and on...but we have a time limit to keep things from getting too boring. The best thing about it is the laid back attitude, a supportive atmosphere and an emphasis on having fun. We've allowed others apart from the SG to participate from time to time with only a few issues from the hardcore win at all costs kind of crowd(I only know of one notorious SG that has been banned from participating in future events.) but squabbling is fairly rare. My point is I highly recommend the casual approach if you can manage to find a group of likeminded individuals that care more about having a good time than being the very best in town.

I don't believe setting restrictions on what powers can be allowed is the way to do it, better that the person incharge of organizing the matches attempts to pit players against each other that are roughly evenly matched.
    edited January 2015
    I'm fairly known for my effective PVE builds but I joined the event with quite a few characters and it didn't cause a problem.

What's an effective PvE build?!? @_@
    edited January 2015
    @Caliga

I will try to organize some more little events. The rules are simple:

1. If a hero dominates the matches, he or she is asked to retire.
    NOTE: The hero is asked to retire, not the player.
    2. Have fun, be positive.
    3. If you are arguing that you aren't dominating, and that you shouldn't switch heroes. . . that means, in fact, that you should.
    4. If you are obstinate or rude, no one plays with you anymore.

Folks that are looking for a strict set of rules probably aren't suited to this sort of thing.

edited January 2015

People have tried to do it that way, and it never ever worked and in some cases it was so messy that the event couldn't even get started. What you are proposing is a theory that has been proven to be dramatically false, repeatedly.

So, no. Just no. Just, completely, 100%, no. You may think in that tiny world inside your helmet that that is going to work... but the rest of us found out a long time ago that it doesn't.

We're not interested in repeating the mistakes of the past.
    We're not interested in sitting around and debating what is and isn't OP, what should and shouldn't be allowed.
    We're not going to do that. Because it's a stupid idea to do the thing you said. Just plain dumb. Not saying you're dumb, just saying that you said something really dumb. Twice.

Nope.

See we're gonna do this thing where people are mature, recognize that they are the problem, and then voluntarily solve the problem. Or, if they don't do that, they just don't get to participate anymore.

Notice how that means that all the people making it messy just won't be involved?

And that's exactly how it worked when we did it on the day bear is talking about. We formed teams of whoever showed up... we quickly identified who was dominating too hard, and asked them to change. In many cases they did, in some cases they didn't.... they were no longer invited to participate, and in some cases they cried like babies about it (that part was very entertaining to me personally). In other words, it worked. Hell, there were even cases of people using builds that had many of "those powers" in them, but yet they played in a casual way and never made a problem of themselves because they did not allow their ego to determine their actions.

Because let's face it old cally lally laliga. No matter what rules you put into place, the people who want to "win at all costs" will find a way to do so within those rules. When they do so, they will ruin the fun of the people who are getting into the spirit of the event. This will continue no matter how many more rules you put into place. By the time your method starts working, you've banned so many powers that nobody is happy anymore, nobody is having fun, and nobody wants to participate.

So again, repeating this for emphasis... no, we don't want to do it your way, because your way always fails.
    edited January 2015
    What's an effective PvE build?!? @_@

My cat holding a water pistol and a cardboard shield.
    edited January 2015
    I didn't say it was gonna work or not work.

All I said was that if things aren't stated in a concise matter, it'll become muddled and toxic to play. People's feelings will get hurt.

You're over thinking foxi. Relax.
    edited January 2015
    You really need to pay more attention to the builds NON pvp experienced players use.

Themed. Interesting. Effective. Often Devastating or Really Impressive in some way or another.

Interesting...

But in what way is that effective and in what way do you build like that better than say... I do? :D Just because I've done probably only around 100 or so hours of PvE in all my many hours playing CO doesn't mean that I don't know how to make something interesting. I don't see many builds purely built around mind link and yet I've bought it into PvP hero games before and got positive KD's. Sure it wouldn't work in PvE so well but all I have to do is add something to hit damage with the high'ish ego I have for mind link to work well and suddenly it's an effective PvE build.

You should work as a definition person defining things, you're really good at it. :)

I'd like to remind you I've built PvP builds around almost every power at some point, and every time I min max it around those powers to make a build that is both interesting / new and is viable to use suddenly you find out how limited you are in CO builds due to having to have certain things if you want to be "devastating" what-so-ever.

Or maybe you're just under thinking? :D
    edited January 2015
    All I said was that if things aren't stated in a concise matter, it'll become muddled and toxic to play. People's feelings will get hurt.

Again, to be concise:

1. If a hero dominates the matches, he or she is asked to retire.
    NOTE: The hero is asked to retire, not the player.
    2. Have fun, be positive.
    3. If you are arguing that you aren't dominating, and that you shouldn't switch heroes. . . that means, in fact, that you should.
    4. If you are obstinate or rude, no one plays with you anymore.

Guideline #3 is probably the most important, because it quickly sorts out people that aren't suited to this type of gameplay.

• lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just simplify things and say, NO devices. Boom!
    Most of the min max , win at all cost folks won't even want to show their face.

Make it simple.

And what exactly is dominating? Winning two, three, matches in a row?
    That's kind of a weird statement. Who determines what that means? Can you be more specific?

I have many theme builds and would like have some casual pvp battles... but, i would need to see how this concept works, to believe that it "Actually" can work.

Too many people out their that can't fight straight up. (hacked builds/Devices) Seems like a tall task.

Good luck.
    edited January 2015
    Dominating means winning several times in a row, always being last one standing, never even losing much (or any) health, the team you're on always wins, etc. There is no specific definition.

There doesn't need to be.

Again, if you win a bunch, and people suggest you change heroes, then just change heroes.
    If you refuse, or can't understand why you should change, then you don't belong in this group.

If you have just one hero, and you dominate the matches, then this group isn't for you, either.

There are already formal and informal PvP groups for experienced and skilled PvPers.

Like Foxi (Spinnytop) has said many times, this group is for folks that have a level of reasonableness and maturity, who aren't worried about winning, actually. If you are really competitive, and need rules to build for to get the best hero possible, then this group isn't for you.

That's okay, the regular PvP crowd isn't set up for someone like me. Not every group is suited to all people.

edited January 2015
    I didn't say it was gonna work or not work.

No what you actually said was... here let me quote it... again... for emphasis ~.^

We're going with guidelines that any reasonable and mature individual will be able to understand. "Clear and exact rules about what is and what is not allowed" are for people who need a big debate about what is and isn't allowed so they can try to sway things towards what they feel will leave them at an advantage ;)

Here let me put it another way:
    http://i.imgur.com/xDxws9G.jpg
    edited January 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    We're going with guidelines that any reasonable and mature individual will be able to understand. "Clear and exact rules about what is and what is not allowed" are for people who need a big debate about what is and isn't allowed so they can try to sway things towards what they feel will leave them at an advantage ;)-

Uh.......or it can just means that people want to know "what is and what is not allowed."?

Foxi. You are over thinking my intention. Relax.
  • purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    "Clear and exact rules about what is and what is not allowed" are for people who need a big debate about what is and isn't allowed so they can try to sway things towards what they feel will leave them at an advantage ;)

Actually, the reason I want clear rules is so I can know ahead of time if I can or cannot show up. If the person organizing these things bans things I use, then oh well, I won't show up and won't care.

In the case of not having any clear rules, there's always that voice in the back of my mind saying "Go join because you can." And then I would be asked to leave, and I would have felt like I wasted my time, so I won't bother. It's nothing against those participating and those hosting it, I just want to be clear that I would not build to win if there were rules set beforehand. I'd show up with what I already have if I was allowed to, and I wouldn't bother showing if I was not allowed to.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
    edited January 2015
    purin1 wrote: »
    Actually, the reason I want clear rules is so I can know ahead of time if I can or cannot show up. If the person organizing these things bans things I use, then oh well, I won't show up and won't care.

In the case of not having any clear rules, there's always that voice in the back of my mind saying "Go join because you can." And then I would be asked to leave, and I would have felt like I wasted my time, so I won't bother. It's nothing against those participating and those hosting it, I just want to be clear that I would not build to win if there were rules set beforehand. I'd show up with what I already have if I was allowed to, and I wouldn't bother showing if I was not allowed to.

Basically what I highlighted there in his quote. I mean, I can't make it anymore cut and dry than that. There is no ulterior motive, and no plotting for an advantage. It's not some conspiracy.

I just want to know what is and what is not allowed.

Christ.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I believe the rules are spelled out in the first post. Bring a theme-oriented PvE build, not a PvP-optimized build. If you really don't grok the difference, then it might be reasonable to err on the side of a less effective build to start. I think the point is it's about casual fun, not just crushing your enemies and seeing them driven before you, so that should be a sufficient starting point.

If someone else wants to volunteer to administer another such event with strict rule enforcement for builds and the associated hassles and arguments, I doubt anyone would mind.

P.S. How about a Zombie Apocalypse event? I haven't played a big game of that in a while.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    edited January 2015
    purin1 wrote: »

Basically what I highlighted there in his quote. I mean, I can't make it anymore cut and dry than that. There is no ulterior motive, and no plotting for an advantage. It's not some conspiracy.

Christ.

You're both overthinking it.

Do you have any casual builds? Show up with those. Don't know what a casual build is? Show up with whatever you like. What's the worst that's going to happen? You'll waste a few minutes of time you were already wasting playing video games? If we say "that character can't play" and you realize you don't have any characters that are less hard-core than that... just shrug your shoulders, say thanks for the memories, and go do something else.

What are you worried is going to happen?

quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I believe the rules are spelled out in the first post. Bring a theme-oriented PvE build, not a PvP-optimized build. If you really don't grok the difference, then it might be reasonable to err on the side of a less effective build to start. I think the point is it's about casual fun, not just crushing your enemies and seeing them driven before you, so that should be a sufficient starting point.
    ^
    Oh look, someone who was easily able to grasp the basic concept without someone putting together an extensive list of specific do's and dont's. Whoda knew? \( O 3 o )/

If someone else wants to volunteer to administer another such event with strict rule enforcement for builds and the associated hassles and arguments, I doubt anyone would mind.

There ya go guys. Here's a great suggestion. Go and prove us totally wrong... the same way everyone who tried to do it in the past didn't. Oops, I ran out of sarcasm.
    P.S. How about a Zombie Apocalypse event? I haven't played a big game of that in a while.

Mainly because the second a bunch of non-super-tank people get in there, some hunter killer shows up and mercs everyone in 30 seconds. :| It sucks.
    edited January 2015
    I think the point is it's about casual fun, not just crushing your enemies and seeing them driven before you, so that should be a sufficient starting point.

That's about it.

:D

• aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Christ.

That was my first thought too. But after thinking about it for a bit longer, I couldn't think of any rules that would work all the time for every build.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only rules which CAN work in this kind of thing were outlined by the OP.

Those are not really rules in the same sense Purin or Caliga were talking about, they ask for rules their builds should adhere to for being allowed to compete. The OP rules are more consequences for winning everything.
    So what I meant I can't think of any build regulation rules that would universally work.
    edited January 2015
    aiqa wrote: »
    Those are not really rules in the same sense Purin or Caliga were talking about, they ask for rules their builds should adhere to for being allowed to compete. The OP rules are more consequences for winning everything.
    So what I meant I can't think of any build regulation rules that would universally work.

Which is why Gradii is correct :)

Call them rules, guidelines, laws, stipulations, common sense... whatever label makes you most comfortable.

end response to quote

What is allowed: Having fun!

What is not allowed: Ruining other people's fun, even if it's unintentional.

There... there's the rules for what is and is not allowed for the people that asked. If you can't work with that, then you're hopeless :tongue:
    edited January 2015
    aiqa wrote: »

People worried about build restrictions, especially if their builds are "too powerful", aren't suited to these little events. If you show up with a powerful hero that wipes the floor with everyone, no worries: just retire the hero and bring another.

I think some players just can't wrap their heads around the idea of events like this.

"What if people show up with their most elite builds?!" Then we tell them they won, that they should retire those heroes, and play again.

"What is people won't retire a winning hero?!" Then no one plays with them anymore. They have graduated out of our little event. The system is self-correcting.

Anyone whose main motivation is having fun with wacky builds in PvP should have a good time. Those whose motivation is about winning, getting the highest numbers in a build, or survival at all costs won't have a good time.

Not all events or groups suit everyone. That's okay.

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited January 2015
    Anyone up for PvP Casuals session this evening (server time)?

Was hoping to meet in a more unusual place, maybe deep in West Side, or perhaps the bridges between skyscapers in the east side of town.