test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spirit Serpent.. how?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Missions and Content
I read a long thread with tips from 2010... and i can't seem to post in that thread.

How do you beat this thing? I block, I block like people block in youtube video.. it eats right throw and kills you.
Can't fly anymore like some vidoes he hits you flying too.

I'm 38 munitions/swords. I can't kill the mage because the snake gets me and I can't stand behind that ledge he spits right on it and you die anyway. The green flame stuff never seems to leave that area when he sucks it in, I die going in .. I die to his thing blocked with bionic shielding on and everything.. The whole mission up to this point was easy. I don't get how you beat this thing when I block my character does some animation that looks like fire snake and even if i block before that and hold block the whole time with every defensive power up or activated his breath goes right through it. I blocked all the other stuff fine up to this horrible monster.

I really want to beat this guy, anyone have any tips that are current?

EDIT actually I beat him but it wasn't the right way. He knocked me into a wall and i couldn't die. What's the correct way to beat this thing?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2011
    On what difficulty are you doing him?

I figure it might be a bit hell on Elite without a Defensive Passive or a really optimized DPS. Anyhow, the way I do it is simply to rush the mage as fast as I can, and since he doesn't respawn, I can deal with the Spirit Serpent afterward.

I've been told that there's a trick to avoiding his breath weapon (look for the white flame), but truthfully, I never found out since it went too fast. Anyhow, I defeat it the same way I did with the mage except for a single difference, whenever he starts inhaling the flame, I block until he's done breathing fire, pop my Active Defenses, heals and finish him off.

If that doesn't work, then grab a buddy to help you out; there's no shame in that.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    When he uses the breath attack over the entire area, if you take a quick glance over all the cells on the sides one of them will have a pillar of light inside it. Standing inside the light will prevent the damage from it.
    If I recall correctly though, any time you step inside a cell without the light in it, you start taking heavy damage just for being in there.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the replies and I'll try this stuff when I go back later. Thanks to Valania too who didn't post here but messaged me in game!

I DID beat it by getting stuck (some glitch happend) but I want to beat it the right way! I was playing on Very Hard. The whole thing is a decent challenge I guess and my equipped items suck, which is why I was there = get better things). I didn't die on anything up until this Serpent guy. My final attack was dragon kick... not doing much for me. I might try sword cyclone for more damage before I go back.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've managed it by standing on the ledge directly behind the serpent's head as recently as a couple weeks ago. It was no problem from there, but maybe that's been changed in a recent patch?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lightwave wrote:
    I've managed it by standing on the ledge directly behind the serpent's head as recently as a couple weeks ago. It was no problem from there, but maybe that's been changed in a recent patch?

Yeah I died on that ledge, and the ledges on either side. I even took screenshots. It's pretty hard now, or actually maybe how the fight works. It's confusing a bit. It makes the Demon's Souls boss fights look easy. They should go over it, it doesn't feel right to me how it works and had I not got stuck in the floor I would hacve gave up. Also at the end the gate to leave doesn't appear. I followed Valania's post to get out.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I gave up on trying serpent lantern when I discovered how short and soloable demon flame is.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A couple things might help hopefully.

First, try to pull the serpent mages before engaging the giant snake. Hit one of the serpent mages with your longest range attack and then back up to the door of the room and "arrest" them.

Second, I've never seen the white light thing (although I'm sure there is), but there is also usually green fire in each of the alcoves. When the giant snake breathes in for his big attack, one of the fires will go out. Run into that alcove, heal up, and run out after the attack is done (because the fire in that alcove will come back).

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey. I did beat him just by being fast, but that mage couldn't be pulled. What happens is you pull him to the door (any further from the door and the giant snake attacks) and then when his health is about halfway down he just auto heals and moves back into place. Not to mention the whole fight he keeps trying to move back into place. Health resets. Maybe they changed it because people were doing that.

I didn't see anything white either. I went back at least 10 times since, and still have not seen that. All I noticed was you pretty much have to kill the snake first as fast as possible. The whole thing is confusing otherwise and poorly done. Like I said Demon's Souls boss fights are somehow easier if you try to block or understand this fight, because I can't find anything to understand about it. It's best to just rush in and kill the snake or the pillar .. the targeting is bad there too. The devs should really redo it. Two friends of mine did it and they had the same problems as me.

Spiritbrand is the alcove the flame goes out random? My character is small, it's hard to see what's going on with the camera there sometimes. I got stuck in the floor 3 times too. Like from waist down i'm stuck inside the floor mesh, clipping and strange things.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe it is random; I've never noticed a pattern anyway. I usually just spin the camera around with my mouse looking.

Things happen pretty fast, so it's entirely possible there's a better indicator.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've never had a problem blocking through the fire even without a block power and on elite, but I usually run defensive passives. If you are running an offensive passive, that may be why you can't block through it.

That being said, the spirit serpent itself is a breeze compared to his high serpent mage attendant. I have at least one 100' ranged attack on all my toons for the specific reason of drawing the mage away from the snake. Target the mage, move up until you are JUST inside the range of your longest attack power and hit him as hard as you can then immediately run back into the entrance passage and hide beside the door. This will force the mage into the passage where you can take him down at your leisure. This tactic DOES work, I use it every time. I haven't bothered to fight the mage and the serpent at the same time because it is not necessary to do so. I have a few toons with offensive passives, I will try blocking through the serpent's and see what happens with that.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am in Guardian stance, but I have tried to pull him and he doesnt come outside that door. he auto heals fully every single time for me. I actually have no problems with him once the snake is dead I can kill him with no problems, it's just when I block and I am blocking, I'm dying instantly anyway even with Bionic Shielding on. Not sure what the deal is. Basically the Pulsewave Munitions build. Outside of that situation I can solo everything fine.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Serpent's main attacks are elemental, so I always equip a 50% elemental resist item. If you don't have one, pick one up at the AH. Even a low quality one will help. It won't guarantee victory, but it'll help.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BloodDoll wrote:
    I am in Guardian stance, but I have tried to pull him and he doesnt come outside that door. he auto heals fully every single time for me. I actually have no problems with him once the snake is dead I can kill him with no problems, it's just when I block and I am blocking, I'm dying instantly anyway even with Bionic Shielding on. Not sure what the deal is. Basically the Pulsewave Munitions build. Outside of that situation I can solo everything fine.

You don't have to pull him outside the room to beat him without aggro-ing the serpent spirit, just bring him to the entrance.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Granted, I play on normal, but the serpent has always been a pushover solo. I did it with my darkness toon yesterday at 30th level. No real strategy, either. Ran in, sicced void horror and shadows on the mage, shadow embraced him in about 3 seconds. Then I turned everything on the serpent and it was down before it got a chance to breathe.

I don't think I even had to block.

My might toon ran in and punched it to death in a few demolish-es.

My question is maybe the serpent doesn't breathe if you stand right next to it? I have only done this for the few seconds necessary to kill it, but the only times I have had problems with the breath weapon are when teaming and NOT standing right next to the snake.

With a 2-person team however, even on normal mode the serpent becomes, um, annoying.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually I do pull him right to the door or just before it.. He fully regens health and retreats even stunned. Also the snake isn't hard at all . Once I get in there and damage him he dies in a couple hits. It's just if he attacks before i do or while I am attacking, even when I block = instant death. I kill him all the time but the only way is to just rush in and hope he doesnt attack before I can kill him. I get major critical hits on him so usually he dies before hand. I never tried on anything but very hard.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Im running into this same problem. The longest I survive is by just rushing in and sending all my pets in after the snake. Its really a nasty fight. Hardest in the game by far. Nemcon has nothing on this snake.

Edit: Im beginning to think Cryptic is trying to get you to buy more star refills from the C-Store. I've spent over an hour on just that Serpent. Cant pull that stupid Mage away for the life of me. And have not a clue as to how to drop it in a couple of seconds and there are no white lights that appear in the chambers. Every time I try to pull the mage even to the end of the main block in that room, it runs back and resets.

Edit: How do you drop the Mage before it does the shield buff?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just a quick tip for the mages, stunning them drops the shield completely. On my melee, I just back out a few yards, then lunge for the stun. Makes killing them much easier.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I tried to beat the Spirit Serpent and the mage at least ten times and just said the heck with it! I have force field slotted as a passive and the serpent burns me down, even if I'm blocking. Maybe I need to learn more about the game, what to slot, etc., before taking these adventure packs on but good grief! It ought to be a challenge to beat them, sure, but it ought not to be such a challenge that you walk away out of frustration like I had to. Again, maybe it's inexperience on my part - or the wrong equipment - but this showdown stunk for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I know this thread is old,but with a pet build i did Spirit Serpent easily i just sent my pets to it,aggro it myself,block here and there,while it was busy on me,my pets were killing it.Easiest fight ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It's very old Lord, what you are missing at this time is the roomsweeping fire wall attack the serpent is supposed to do. This is still missing from the engagement (played a coupla days ago with squishy electric). This attack kills if not blocked and takes a fair chunk of health if you do. It's not that hard to deal with it but it has caused probs for newcomers in the past.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    4rksakes wrote:
    It's very old Lord, what you are missing at this time is the roomsweeping fire wall attack the serpent is supposed to do. This is still missing from the engagement (played a coupla days ago with squishy electric). This attack kills if not blocked and takes a fair chunk of health if you do. It's not that hard to deal with it but it has caused probs for newcomers in the past.

I will state, for the record, that I have managed to see the white light *once*… and it was at the end of the tunnel, because by the time I could tell which alcove had the damned thing and start to move toward it, I was about a quarter second from death by snake-spit anyway.

"A defensive passive" is not enough. Rank 3 shield + Rank 3 regen + superstatted END+REC, which is about as good as that passive possibly gets, gets eaten through in no time flat.

I had the misfortune to try it for my very first time on a team of five. This is when I discovered the lockout "feature" of all of the newer boss fights. :P

Seriously, though: anyone who can survive that attack is almost certainly geared or skilled so far that they'll never see it in the first place because they're dropping things that fast, and anyone who *does* see it is almost guaranteed to half over half their group die, because they're *not* going to have the ability to survive it.

This fight was a fight design failure when it first came out, and it has never gotten significantly better. Do it on normal and pray like hell, then *never* go back. I'm doomed to have to do it at least once more, because the system no longer believes I've actually run SL, but I'm really not looking forward to it. On normal. When I normally run solo/Elite without breaking a sweat. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hmm I have been thinking of a different even older thread!
    This one doesn't mention the method I use which is simply bombard at 90 - 100ft range the fire is pathetic at this distance (or was a while ago - maybe shudder they are fixing it). Anyhow any kind of blast will get him down eventually and ranged squishies (defile, cascade, new(ish) ebon ruin) can pretty much ROFL stomp I believe is the phrase. Or like Lord did hang back and let the pets do him! Heroic stuff isn't it?
    But then I didn't get this game coz i wanted a half assed tomb raider kinda experience.
  • Options
    catmitten570catmitten570 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Old thread but people might be having difficulties especially new ones like me:

First turn on the sound.

Then lure the mage out of the serpents range and kill it.

If you have fly power, fly.

Attack the serpent and deal a little bit a of damage.

It will start to make that "vhhhhkkkkkkkhhhkkkk" sound. As soon as you hear the sound fly/run back as far as the door (it locks down once you start fighting it).

Hold block and wait until the attack is over. It doesn't kill you from this distance.

Don't charge rightaway. Wait and heal. Then go attack the serpent.

Repeat.

It has low hp so you shouldn't be needing to repeat this many times. I got it in my first repeat.

Too difficult mission also. Too long to run with party members and too difficult to run solo.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too difficult mission also. Too long to run with party members and too difficult to run solo.
    Ok......
    :rolleyes:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For non-tanks you can also hide near the niches.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm going to assume you're playing on elite because I recently face tanked the Serpent several times with a Blade AT on normal and was disappointed with how quick the entire thing was over not to mention how bad it looked on camera.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    sarovensaroven Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't remember doing this the first time I played but how the heck do you beat the big serpent as a pure melee character without flight? By the time you get in there to hit it and try to get out of the way you die.

Edit: figured it out. Just a question of patience to get one or two hits on the snake, run back to the niche to hide/block and wait out the dots on you.