test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How did you find out about Champions Online?

vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
Curious how others came across this game that seems to occupy my every night these days.
Me, I came across it when webcomics Ctrl Alt Del and El Goonish Shive both made reference to the game, as a comedy review and as an inspiration for a character in the comic respectively.

But I'm curious how people who don't read webcomics found out about it: I don't remember there being any adverts when it came out, beyond maybe a few website banners on a few forums, so how did all of you lot find out about Champions Online when you first decided to play?
[SIGNATURE REDACTED]
Post edited by vorshoth on

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm a player of Champions PnP since 1982, and a regular visitor to the website discussion forums of its publisher, Hero Games, since 2001. The sale of the Champions IP to Cryptic Studios was huge news over there, so I was aware of CO as soon as its development was publicly announced. I started dropping into the forums here before the game went live.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Way back when the game was still in beta, on of my friends told me about it. He had a beta invite, but his computer was a PoS, so he asked to use mine to play. Basically, we took turns playing the game.

I took a few breaks here and there, but mostly stuck around since there aren't many quality games set in the modern world. I like fantasy games, but damn, flooded market much? Plus I made a bunch of friends here, so I like to log in for chatting purposes.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was browsing YouTube for MMO's with good character customization. Came across this video and could not pass up the chance to give it a shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOQhIQicoLg
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I play STO, and heard about it from other STO players.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I finally started using Steam again back in 2011 when I heard that free-to-play titles hit the store. Of course, the first one to catch my eye was Champions Online. The second I hit the character creator, I was hooked. And my excitement for this game was even greater when I discovered there was a role-playing community.

I've been playing ever since.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Played a lot of Champions 3rd ed in college; went into the Air Force for a term, where I found a dearth of people in Omaha that wanted to be superheroes, and when I got back home in '89 I found that most of the gaming stores in the area were pushing CCGs instead of RPGs (I actually had one store try to sell me a Magic: the Gathering pack as an RPG!).

Fast-forward to the year CO went F2P, and a sidebar advert on Facebook. "Hmm," I says to myself, says I, "an online version of Champions. Sounds interesting - let's give it a whirl!" And the rest, as they say, is history.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    cryptickalidorcryptickalidor Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was a manager at Gamestop when it came out. I was following the development before that when I was a City of Heroes player and part of their settlement with the Marvel lawsuit meant Cryptic would be making the Marvel MMO.. when Marvel and/or Microsoft backed out and Cryptic bought the Champions IP I continued to follow it until I got a closed beta invite.
  • Options
    aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    From a spot on X-Play. I wasn't able to play until it went F2P, though.
    Champions: @ace112233
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I heard of it while it was in development back when it was being developed as a marvel MMO. Me and my brother used to play various MMO's and my brother heard of it from someone and was telling me about it and how you'll be able to pick powers similar to that of spiderman etc and how you'll be able to pick any powers and put them together. I ended up getting the game for my birthday which was a day or two before it was released, the fact it wasn't marvel online and now some random one we'd never heard of kinda put my brother off I think. He never really got into it that much back then.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some people that played CoH were bugging me to come play. I wasn't quite ready to to walk away from that yet but, the day the shutdown was announced, I DLed CO and haven't looked back.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some news show that it was going F2P. Can't remember from what site, I think IGN.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Freinds at the Gamers Guild in Perth started playing it in Beta, while we where playing Hero system PnP.

Started playing when I managed to get a computer.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not entirely sure how I heard of CO, but I believe it was from the initial announcement press release (likely linked on Blue's News). Which then led me to sign up on the original pre-beta forum almost 7 years ago (some point in February '08 iirc).
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Been an avid Champions (PnP) player since the mid-late 80's. My gaming buds and I had been watching for a Champs computer game (hinted at, demo at conventions, etc) for a number of years.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited December 2014
    vorshoth wrote: »
    Me, I came across it when webcomics Ctrl Alt Del and El Goonish Shive both made reference to the game, as a comedy review and as an inspiration for a character in the comic respectively.

Wait, which character was inspired in EGS? I still read that daily, Dan Shive is a great cartoonist.

For me, I found out about it when my boss handed me the website for the 2011 Christmas event and said "Write a poem for this" :biggrin:.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Firstly from my bro when CO was first announced (I assume he gathered it from popular new sites at the time).. but we were too tied up in WoW at the time to be able to devote money/time to it.

After branching out to other MMOs (dark ages or Tolkien fantasy was/is getting tiring for me), my interest was re-sparked after seeing an video review a few years back (won't name who or what since I don't like that reviewer anymore). Didn't really play that much till well after On Alert, though.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Word of mouth, mostly.

However, I'm glad I didn't read the books until after I subscribed, otherwise I'd probably have avoided it like the plague lol.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was playing CoH at the time. I saw the game being played and I was so excited to see Snake Gulch and Monster Island in the demos.

I was lucky to get a referral code in the IRC channel, and got into beta. I was sold when I fired my first attack off. It felt so great to not be rooted.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    on coh we were all pretty well aware of it when it was the marvel mmo. then that kind of went dark and i didnt hear anything until i read a game informer about it and some of the art looked interesting. so i got into the open beta, figured it looked like it had a good future to grow like coh did with lots of new powers, zones and a continuing story. and got the lt. in for a penny, in for a pound. i really liked that tails and belts were separate(coh later did that, but not at this time) and that you could throw stuff. also liked the gadgeteer and sorcery powers, and the ability to have skirts past the knees.
  • Options
    doomedluke1doomedluke1 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think I saw something about the open beta in some site, probably Gamespot, which was my main game site back then. MMOs were new to me, and I was curious about the subject. Besides, it was a superhero game.

My first character, Nekulnnir (a Force/Might then, now a Behemoth) is from that time (his creation dates from 6/apr/2010). When the game went live to paid sub, I had to quit it.

Looking through my emails, I see I signed in to the forum when the game was still with Atari. Then one day (26/oct/10) I received the email telling me about CO going F2P in 2011. It was three long months of wait. XD
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I saw an ad 3 years ago that said "Free to play!"
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I saw an ad 3 years ago that said "Free to play!"

The only time CO ever had Ad's for it. ;D
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was at City of Heroes when Jack left, so what he was up to afterward was being followed on the boards through the whole Marvel debacle and then the switch to Champions. Our whole SG (Legion of Valor) got in on the beta, but frankly, at that time I found the game very "alpha" and not in the least ready for beta. Being familiar with Jack's habit of big ideas, big talk and little to no execution, I turned my back and didn't even think about Champions until City folded.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I came here from CoH to troll you guys. Found out the game was awesome and stayed.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wait, which character was inspired in EGS? I still read that daily, Dan Shive is a great cartoonist.

For me, I found out about it when my boss handed me the website for the 2011 Christmas event and said "Write a poem for this" :biggrin:.

Elliot's magic-caused superhero alias, Cheerleadra, is supposedly based on a character he had in Champions Online that used the at the time overpowered Chest Beam.
    Also in a EGS NP comic ages ago the character Tedd writes an open letter to the devs of Champions Online to have a guy-to-girl transformation ability and a 'whoa I have boobs now' emote.
    (http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?date=2009-11-26)
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    had2mergehad2merge Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Short version:

Played a sandbox mmo (Star Wars Galaxies) got bored with it.

Then played another sandbox mmo ( Lord of the Rings Online) got bored with it.

Saw the boxes for Champions Online at Walmart for $50 a pop. Gave it a go.

Got bored.. but still come back to it from time to time.

Not as much of a sandbox as I'd like, but the freebie toon slot at 40 hooked me.

3 full pages of toons and *growing*.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    been reading through them for 15 minutes now.

you.... person of uncertain parentage.

here's a STO one.
    http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=175
    still reading another 15minutes later
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I can't remember how I found out about it, but I think I heard of it about a year before launch. I couldn't ditch my CoH subscription fast enough when I saw screenshots and videos.

It likely came up from the QA guys at the place I worked at. They're the ones that got me into MMOs in 2006, and are obviously an avid gaming bunch, always talking about new games and MMOs and dumping them after a week or so. Haha.

So yeah, I signed up for beta as soon as I heard about it, but never got picked, which makes me sad. I love to see game progression, like how the UI changes and stuff. Like, anyone remember when the PowerHouse was the center of Renaissance Center, and when grass didn't look like digital camouflage? I love to see stuff like that.

I picked up my lifetime subscription on a whim just before launch, to piss off a forum troll who thought no one would pay $200 for a lifetime subscription to a game that "wouldn't last 3 months." Dude was so infuriated at Cryptic for having the gall to do that. Funny, I wish more games would offer lifetime subscriptions. I was a WoW subscriber for 3 years, which cost me over almost $600, so I thought the lifetime subscription was way worth it.

So yeah that's my story.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Saw a spot on X-Play back in early 2008 and have been following since.
    Went Lifer in 2011 and haven't once regret the purchase.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was looking at Free 2 Play games on Steam. I saw something that looked like a super hero. Then the description said super heroes. Then I went in game and started a Behemoth... that first Room Sweeper is responsible for the past few years I spent playing.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So yeah, I signed up for beta as soon as I heard about it, but never got picked, which makes me sad. I love to see game progression, like how the UI changes and stuff.
    Let's just say that the UI has seen some improvements over time...
    gDHOnLn.jpg
    uEqO8zF.jpg
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I heard about it while playing CoH.

As I was happy with CoH, I didn't feel the need to add another MMO to my list of subscriptions.

Then CoH was culled to make foreign corporate overlords happy and it took a few tries to get over the uncanny valley between the two. Once that was accomplished all it took was a month as a gold from a retail box code and I decided being a lifer would be worth it.

Unfortunately, in the diaspora most of the people I knew went to non-Cryptic games.
    had2merge wrote: »

Not as much of a sandbox as I'd like, but the freebie toon slot at 40 hooked me.

3 full pages of toons and *growing*.

That was marketing evil genius.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Let's just say that the UI has seen some improvements over time...

I find the current one fairly ugly though, the super hero'y bright colours and blockiness of it end up making it look cluttered and kiddy which compared to many other MMO's UI's currently isn't that great still. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm still twitchy about all the ugly Comic Sans, but then, this is a game that thinks comic art has a uniform outline around everything like a coloring book, so I consider the source.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    I had heard about the game when it was a Marvel property and was keeping tabs on it. I got a chance to play a demo and talk with the folks manning the Cryptic booth at Gencon '08 and was pretty happy with what I saw.

I got into the late beta, bought a LTS and have been playing on and off since.
  • Options
    clockwiseclockwise Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I saw it on the shelf at Target a long long time ago, and considered buying in, but passed. After I stopped playing CoX, I wanted a super hero kind of game, but the closest I could find was Star Trek Online. I don't know why I didn't go for CO then, I guess I'd forgotten about it and was convinced there weren't any super hero MMOs. I'm pretty sure I came into CO when it went F2P, which is ironic, because I bought a lifetime sub almost immediately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was Dubsy on the Old Forums. I am still @Dubsy in-game. Also, lol.
  • Options
    modru35modru35 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    2009 when i worked at Starbucks, my store manager said you need to try out Champions Online.
    So i waited until it came out in stores and bought it. And good ole Mod has been here off and on for 5 years.
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I played CoH and my friends would laugh and poke at CO and DCUO a lot. I played them both for a bit so I could see what was wrong with them, I found found DCUO a meh game, but CO was pretty neat. Then I slowly noticed that CO had basically no development at all and went back to CoH and had a lot of fun with my friends, then CoH shut down and jumped ship to CO. I figured CO would develop more to take advantage of the new people and it would turn out amazing! It never happened.
  • Options
    clockwiseclockwise Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    riltmos wrote: »
    ... then CoH shut down... I figured CO would develop more to take advantage of the new people and it would turn out amazing! It never happened.

Yeah, same. I don't know why they didn't look at that as a business opportunity and really get rolling on some major development. Maybe a new world map zone or something, with a raised level cap and missions to get you to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was Dubsy on the Old Forums. I am still @Dubsy in-game. Also, lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm not sure it would have worked. Anecdotally, almost everyone from my old group primarily cite the very look of the place as their dislike. Too cartoony, it's said. That would be a big hurdle to try and cover.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I browsed the internet for games I might like. I thought I might like this one and gave it a try. I liked it.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    When did this stop being the "how i found out about CO" thread and turn into the "lets give our opinions on what they need to improve" thread u_u
  • Options
    spetsborgspetsborg Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    When did this stop being the "how i found out about CO" thread and turn into the "lets give our opinions on what they need to improve" thread u_u

Amen! Lets keep the topic! For me, I found out about the game thanks to an artist friend of mine on Deviantart. He had made some artworks for some of the long stay players and I got excited and bought the game the very next day. A real comic buff since -83, PnP player of various hero games and finally got into the MMORPG through CoX.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop finds this a new phenomenon?:

When it got posted on Champions Online's forums? :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I found out about CO when a dannish friend of mine over MSN told me about it. She wanted me to play it with her so we could RP. I refused, because back then I had a strictly personal policy of never spending money with games. Then she showed me her boobs on webcam.

10 minutes later I had a Cryptic account and was downloading the game.

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.