test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we ever going to get an expansion?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hemslord wrote: »
    I would like to have seen more support based powers or perhaps a tweak made to holds to make them have some form of use when fighting a boss.

I'm sure people are tired of hearing this but I much preferred how City of Heroes did holds as it meant that after you attempted enough holds on the boss, one would finally be able to hold them even it was brief. As it is my CC Support build may as well sit out of the fight once the boss is engaged apart from doing the occasional hold to proc the Sentinel Mastery.

Also, I would like to see other kinds of support. Rather than just seeing people using heals I would like to have see some buffs other than just auras. Some way of channelling energy to another player to increase their damage as a maintain support power for example. Or maybe a melee based debuff set that hits the targets key nerves to reduce their damage or increases damage dealt etc.

Alas these are just some ideas I would like to see in the game and as the Devs have proven to me time and time again, they really aren't interested.
    So something like giving the boss a stat for how much hold it can break per second, and each hold skill has a strength value. Then when the value of applied holds exceeds the boss's ability to break free it gets immobilized? That sounds cool.

I like this idea, but it sounds like something they won't do due to the amount of coding work required. :/
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Gameplay being boring sounds like a fantastic reason to avoid Valiance.

You wouldn't believe the amount of people willing to cut their noses off to spite their faces.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Call me stupid but didnt we just get an expansion we got a moon base hub thingy >_>
    I realize there is subjectivity in definitions, but it would be a major stretch to call mecahnon an expansion, it was a content patch at best. and kind of a small one all things considered.

this thread seems to be about something like jump to lightspeed, going rogue or guild wars prophecies. big meaty things with lots of new gameplay, mechanics, lore and zones. will co ever get that again, it would be nice to think so, but i cant see the game actually growing enough to warrant it.
    Yes.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    do you have something to share with the class? :biggrin:
    sterga wrote: »
    Gameplay being boring sounds like a fantastic reason to avoid Valiance. .
    its in alpha, kinda early to make a judgement at present, isnt it? coh was a drastically different game from beta to launch. its bestnot to view what is currently there as anything but a proof of tech.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That's true, although that mostly had to do with Jack having a bunch of big ideas he didn't have the slightest idea how to implement, which was later to be revealed as simply the way he thinks. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »
    its in alpha, kinda early to make a judgement at present, isnt it? coh was a drastically different game from beta to launch. its bestnot to view what is currently there as anything but a proof of tech.

No, not really. If the combat system isn't done and the demo looks terrible, complaining now may get it fixed before it's too late. Of course, if the game is in alpha, shouldn't the core systems be largely finished? Especially if this game is coming out in 2015.

At best, I'll give these games a look when they launch. The whole "we're the next CoH" is very off putting and none of them have shown anything interesting.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That's true, although that mostly had to do with Jack having a bunch of big ideas he didn't have the slightest idea how to implement, which was later to be revealed as simply the way he thinks. :biggrin:

He's the poster boy for ADHD.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    He's the poster boy for ADHD.

Squirrel! applied to development.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Theoretically, we were going to have a time travel set of missions that takes us to good old Blighty in the reign of HRH Queen Victoria, when in London, werewolves are afoot, Jack the Ripper is involved, and players will inevitably send a Sherlock Holmes character into the setting.

JAG, who does a lot of the drawn art for Champions Online and I assume the books too, did some pieces of werewolves on cobbled streets.

However, it seems unlikely as it's been a while since we heard any mention of it.

Shame, would be nice to see some of us British players be able to play on home turf, and have a place in the game our characters identify as home, rather than resorting to going to Yank bars and clubs and fighting American criminals, who have no class at all, I say.

Well except for Foxbat. He's okay in our books.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How about a special Time Travel custom alert where you end up in the Battle for Detroit?

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Those 'pieces of werewolfs on cobbled streets' were from Creatures of Night. Which JAG did some concept art. http://theartofjag.blogspot.fi/
    There was cancelled Cryptic 'Unnamed Project Y' in 2011 which was about White Chappel and stuff. Tumer did some early stuff to it. http://www.nickduguid.com/
    Those could be from the same project. Who knows.
    The Champions stuff of timetravel to Victorian Britain was supposed to be about Vladic Dracul stuff.
    Which didn't get nowhere. Since all they did was mention about it in....UNTIL Field Report.
    But, most likely they would have used the stuff from the 'Unnamed Creatures Of Project Y Night' to that "expansion".
    And Brad Stokan had some "game footage" of the Creatures of Night made with Cryptic Engine, and it looked like CO character creator was used. http://bradstokan.com/Home.htm
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »
    its in alpha, kinda early to make a judgement at present, isnt it?

Call me old fashioned, but last time I read about either game design or systems design, the "alpha" stage of development was already too late to consider a full re-work on things like the core paradigm/basic gameplay mechanics (that is, unless you're willing to dump everything, re-build things from the ground up, and probably end up like 3D Realms, which is actually what may happen to Missing Worlds Media if they keep repeating Duke Nukem Forever's folly).
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned, but last time I read about either game design or systems design, the "alpha" stage of development was already too late to consider a full re-work on things like the core paradigm/basic gameplay mechanics (that is, unless you're willing to dump everything, re-build things from the ground up, and probably end up like 3D Realms, which is actually what may happen to Missing Worlds Media if they keep repeating Duke Nukem Forever's folly).

I wouldn't call the stage they're at "alpha" right now. In my experience, "alpha" means you have at least a rudimentary form of your project working end-to-end. "Beta" comes around when you're at or near feature-complete status. When they can set up a room full of PvE mobs and set players loose in it, even if it's stick figures and only two power sets, then we can start talking "alpha". Besides, it's hard to demonstrate power sets without the animations and effects that go with them. For all we know, their power designers' spreadsheets are ready for prime time, but they can't demonstrate anything to the public until the art team catches up.

As for the engine switch, I don't see nearly the level of ADHD at Missing Worlds Media that I've seen elsewhere. Jack Emmert loves to design and launch games, but hates to maintain them. It damn near killed CoH, and CO has been suffering from it ever since STO launched. Mark Kern kept Firefall in beta for four years, constantly changing the game's target market and reinventing core systems, until his investors forced him out of Red 5 Studios entirely. Within a few months of his sacking, his successors locked those core systems down and officially launched the game. George Broussard continually upgraded DN4's engine, from Quake II to Unreal Engine (to Unreal Engine 2 to Unreal Engine 3), because he was always trying to integrate the newest shinies into the game whether it made sense or not.

Meanwhile, CoT got one engine upgrade, from UE3 to UE4, at probably the most fortuitous time in their development cycle. Their Kickstarter campaign had just ended, they were using that money to acquire the software and licenses they needed, and Epic approached them about upgrading. Epic was willing to help them migrate their existing assets, even though UE4 hadn't been publicly released yet, because they didn't want to see MWM get stuck on the long tail of the old engine. That's why there was an odd lull in updates shortly after the KS campaign ended. They had to wait until Epic announced UE4 before they could announce anything.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    belleraux wrote: »
    How about a special Time Travel custom alert where you end up in the Battle for Detroit?

I stopped reading at 'alert'.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vorshoth wrote: »
    Theoretically, we were going to have a time travel set of missions that takes us to good old Blighty in the reign of HRH Queen Victoria, when in London, werewolves are afoot, Jack the Ripper is involved, and players will inevitably send a Sherlock Holmes character into the setting.

JAG, who does a lot of the drawn art for Champions Online and I assume the books too, did some pieces of werewolves on cobbled streets.

However, it seems unlikely as it's been a while since we heard any mention of it.

Shame, would be nice to see some of us British players be able to play on home turf, and have a place in the game our characters identify as home, rather than resorting to going to Yank bars and clubs and fighting American criminals, who have no class at all, I say.

Well except for Foxbat. He's okay in our books.

Victoriana Britannia would have loved this......
    GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
    9ef038ef-0440-4d16-ae2b-6e7c118ddbd7.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I stopped reading at 'alert'.

I like alerts... and so do most people who play this game it seems :biggrin:
    gradii wrote: »
    Alerts should have been an updated open missions system. You'd get an alert that something was going on show up on your interface, and be able to warp to the location In the open world to help out.

Yeah cause open missions are so popular right... like that one that got somebody to cry their head off until vehicle Plasma Beam got nerfed.

Alerts are good as they are right now, evidenced by them being the 2nd most popular content in the game.

The 1st most popular content is roleplaying. lol.
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    The 1st most popular content is roleplaying. lol.

Actually, it's probably the costume creator :wink:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited December 2014
    Actually, it's probably the costume creator :wink:

The costume creator is a part of all content. Unless you can list a content where you do not wear your costume u3u

Also, costume creator is role playing.
    edited December 2014
    The costume creator is a part of all content. Unless you can list a content where you do not wear your costume u3u

Also, costume creator is role playing.

Pretty sure that the costume creator can be termed as "content". I don't RP(as the term is used in games like this) in MMOs and am constantly using the Tailor. I manage to do it without typing...

(IC) "Oh! What about this hat?" *Giggles and jiggles and raises eyebrow whilst exuding raspberry smelling pheromones*

Small disclaimer:That was sarcasm. I have no problem with RPers in CO.
    zrdRBy8.png
    edited December 2014
    belleraux throws out an idea:

I would like that. I would have no problem with it being an Alert. I would have no problem with it not being an Alert.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • prestochangoprestochango Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    See this is what happens when we start asking for an Expansion pack or heaven forbid, New Content. They rub their hands together all evil like and say.."Oh they want more do they? Pull the plug on the servers! That will silence them for a time."
    edited December 2014
    gradii non-sequiturs:

Alerts aren't alerts though. They're "Queued Instances".

A real alert would be like an open mission you'd be notified was in progress and could warp to. as in, something in the actual OPEN GAME WORLD.

And what part of me stating indifference to where it takes place would that effect?

I would like it in a box. I would like it with a fox.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers- location- Club Caprice.
    OH hang on, been done.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited December 2014
    See this is what happens when we start asking for an Expansion pack or heaven forbid, New Content. They rub their hands together all evil like and say.."Oh they want more do they? Pull the plug on the servers! That will silence them for a time."

Except the other two games that actually get new content are also down, so so much for your conspiracy theory.
  • themadvykingthemadvyking Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To sum it up...

ENOUGH FREAKING ALERTS!

Some of us cant do it due to slow computers and angering those who can as they think we are there to mooch. Hence we will never get the justice gear.

Advnture packs yes....story content yess ANYTHING BUT ALERTS!

Sorry six hour wait for server frustration mixed in
  • bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So, Caliga said days ago he'd be away of the game for the new year's eve.

New year's eve comes, and the server goes off.

COINCIDENCE?

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
    edited January 2015
    How about with a fox god? :tongue:

tumblr_mcqex3Be441r6y7i6o1_500.gif
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited January 2015
    I prefer beasts... of blood.

tumblr_m5x64wAQcl1qcmas4o1_r2_500.gif
    edited January 2015
    Pretty sure that the costume creator can be termed as "content". I don't RP(as the term is used in games like this) in MMOs and am constantly using the Tailor. I manage to do it without typing...

(IC) "Oh! What about this hat?" *Giggles and jiggles and raises eyebrow whilst exuding raspberry smelling pheromones*

Small disclaimer:That was sarcasm. I have no problem with RPers in CO.

Costume creator is definitely content. But it's involved in everything in the game... pve, pvp, role-playing, whatever you call what Caliga does... your costume goes with you everywhere you go!

It is the All-Content... like the all-spark but not in a dumb franchise u3u

How about with a fox god? :tongue:

tumblr_mcqex3Be441r6y7i6o1_500.gif
    I prefer beasts... of blood.

tumblr_m5x64wAQcl1qcmas4o1_r2_500.gif

When did the title of this thread become "How can we make Spinny really horny?"
    edited January 2015
    Settle down, Babymetal's underage, you perv. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited January 2015
    edited January 2015
    When did the title of this thread become "How can we make Spinny really horny?"
    Settle down, Babymetal's underage, you perv. :tongue:

And Mana's what common Internet parlance would label a... trap.
    edited January 2015
    And Mana's what common Internet parlance would label a... trap.

I am 1000% okay with that.
    edited January 2015
    I am 1000% okay with that.

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't have a skyfox to sell or trade, or have one at all.

If I did, I'd use it when I remake my alternate universe foxbat.
    what if the fox had socks? :P

(it's a Dr. Seuss reference)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well hope always Dies last, I sure hope we will get a Good Update... someday

7e3.jpg

But seeing the Bad Desicions being taken for the game and the awful Marketing Strategy, make me lose Hope

741.gif

ALSO YES WATER POWERFRAME PLEASE
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I still have Hope, she's an elementalist. Level 40

mind you, I also have delusional- mentalist- L40
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We get lockboxes, costume and vehicle expansion packs all the time :tongue:
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am excited about 2015.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited January 2015
    Spill the beans, dog-breath.
    zrdRBy8.png
    edited January 2015
    avianos wrote: »
    7e3.jpg

I prefer the Question's poster.

iknowposter.jpg
    edited January 2015
    i Am Excited About 2015.

NEW ZONE
    NEW POWER SETS
    NEW ADVENTURE PACKS
    NEW COSTUME SETS
    NEW LAIRS
    NEW ALERTS
    NEW HIDEOUTS
    NEW RAMPAGES
    NEW SUPER GROUP HIDEOUTS
    NEW COSMIC WORLD BOSSES

All CONFIRMED 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 %.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am excited about 2015.

The last time Brou said something like that we Got the Mechanon Story Arc Mission

SPEAK UP BLUE DOG OF BARANESS!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jacobtr198jacobtr198 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Could you please make an uplate or expang ion with archetypes as followed: staff fighting, water, some powere kinda like green lantern (except put a different twist on it like instead of power rings why not power necklaces), spear fighting. Stuff like that would make the game amazing.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm exited about 2015.
    And i don't know ****z.
    But i can predict future from the past....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jacobtr198 wrote: »
    ...some powere kinda like green lantern (except put a different twist on it like instead of power rings why not power necklaces)...
    If they did that, it would combine with staff combat. Because the GL expy in the Champions setting is the Star*Guard, who use power staffs to wield their abilities.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"