test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

For Coh people

chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
Valliance online is doing funding again. 6 days left.
also
City of Heroes Senior Animator Joins Valiance Online
check out the website
no i didn't play but I know some people in the Cox channel missed the last one
Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Meanwhile, Project Phoenix is making zero apparent progress.. The guys who donated must be gutted. CoT seems like a dead end.
    Valiance Online, though, looks rather promising in comparison.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Valiance online's confirmation e-mail never made it to my inbox. So much for alpha/beta testing.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Meanwhile, Project Phoenix is making zero apparent progress.. The guys who donated must be gutted. CoT seems like a dead end.

This was pretty much my assessment when the projects were first announced. Valiance was the only one that looked like it had actual legs.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I tested Valiance.
    Maybe i'll try again when theres something to show for.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Its looks pretty good graphics wise. Though it lacks style. So at least the dating aspect from CoH will live on through this game.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2014

This is why you never give money to a kickstarter for an 'idea' until you see a working product.

I want you to consider this: Valiance Online, no Kickstarter- working product in early Alpha stage.

CoT, massive half-mil kickstarter. A few drawings and one map.

I smell a Sarkeesian scam.
  • mjaygtoomjaygtoo Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Valiance online's confirmation e-mail never made it to my inbox. So much for alpha/beta testing.

"AEGIS" from Valiance Online here.

Let me know your username and I will manually confirm you but note that is just for the website/forums. Game and website accounts are separate (for now).

We're also in open testing and anyone can join. Full information at http://valiance.shogn.net/game/news/article/35-open-pre-alpha-testing

Thanks!
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    key word is apparent. i have donated to a number of kickstarters that have taken time to show anything, so not too scared. as for valiance, barely even heard of it before cybersoldier mentioned it, and i had been lurking on the phoenix forums for a while.. looks ok, but did notice it barely hit 20% of its initial kickstarter, so may want to get more word out there. i'll give it a look, because you have to try all options, but really needs more word out there.

besides,warcabbit is still bin contact with us posted today even, its not like they vanished, some groups take more time to show stuff because they want it to look good. so lets ease off the doom talk.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited December 2014

To be fair...they switched from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4 after the kickstarter.

I believe that's why they haven't show too much right now.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mjaygtoo wrote: »
    "AEGIS" from Valiance Online here.

Let me know your username and I will manually confirm you but note that is just for the website/forums. Game and website accounts are separate (for now).

We're also in open testing and anyone can join. Full information at http://valiance.shogn.net/game/news/article/35-open-pre-alpha-testing

Thanks!

try for a few interviews.

just don't do what COT and say how great it is and how everybody will leave when it comes out.
    That is a marketing disaster waiting to happen.
    Keep it accurate and positive.

and don't let the guy doing the programming stay up 39 hrs(again) to make sure the server stays on for testing.
    Keeping it business like is good, not getting suitable rest is not..

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To be fair...they switched from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4 after the kickstarter.

I believe that's why they haven't show too much right now.

Also, Missing Worlds Media is effectively starting from zero. Silverhelm Studios is reusing assets from Project Gorgon for Valiance, so they have a lot of the MMO infrastructure in place, and can concentrate on the "superheroes in a contemporary city" part.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited December 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    just don't do what COT and say how great it is and how everybody will leave when it comes out.
    That is a marketing disaster waiting to happen.
    Keep it accurate and positive.

I would love to see where this was said. I'm not calling you a liar, I just actually want to see that.

Truth be told, as much as I want CoT AND Valiance to succeed...

I'm seeing a product from Valiance. Whine all you want about their 'head start' and 'unfair advantage', but the people making these games are not my homeboys or family members. They are creating a product, as a business, and I am a potential paying customer. I don't care how 'easy' or 'hard' it is for anyone- I want to put my money into something, and I don't believe in brand loyalty or blind fanboy-ism because someone filled my head with promises of greatness. I am an adult, and I invest my money on tangible or realistic items.

When CoT can do more than say how awesome their product is, I'll take it a bit more seriously. At this point, I expect to see at least some ideas on the table. More than a few random pieces of concept art- hell, at this point they should have a PILE of concept art. They should be teasing ideas about power sets. They should be detailing how they intend to do game mechanics, story and leveling paths, factions, some key NPC's, lore nuggets, SOMETHING.

I want both games. I want to have two different superhero games and play different kinds of heroes in two very different settings. But until one of them can show me some progress from their $600K+ Kickstarter, I write it off as little more than some guys scribbling ideas on napkins and people throwing money at them for it.

Sorry, I have to be the pragmatic one here. If CoT sees the light of day, I'll be as happy as the next guy. I'm not even accusing them of being a 'kickstarter scam' (those are very real, and video game ideas have been scams in the past). What I am saying is that there is cause for concern when they have made little effort to reassure their investors and show some transparency in their project.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    When CoT can do more than say how awesome their product is, I'll take it a bit more seriously. At this point, I expect to see at least some ideas on the table. More than a few random pieces of concept art- hell, at this point they should have a PILE of concept art. They should be teasing ideas about power sets. They should be detailing how they intend to do game mechanics, story and leveling paths, factions, some key NPC's, lore nuggets, SOMETHING.

Did you contribute to the Kickstarter? If you have, you should have been getting regular email updates through the Kickstarter campaign that addresses much of what you're talking about. They're in the middle of a "12 Days of Devmas" update binge right now.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited December 2014
    I would love to see where this was said. I'm not calling you a liar, I just actually want to see that.

I'm pretty sure she might be confusing that Golden Lunatic with the CoT devs, as she was the only one that I recall who came close to saying anything like that.
    edited December 2014
    Did you contribute to the Kickstarter? If you have, you should have been getting regular email updates through the Kickstarter campaign that addresses much of what you're talking about. They're in the middle of a "12 Days of Devmas" update binge right now.

or if you like them on facebook, so far they have shown 2 costume pieces and a weapon. its on their current placeholder model, but still, in game pics.

and as for lore, they have been sending lore emails extensively...maybe a few too many at this point, but if you want lore, they have been sending tons of lore. as for npcs, right now it seems the statesman/defender lead hero is a woman named "anthem". really go check up the forums, the announcements section has a ton of lore, characters and enemy groups, you would be excited.

and one last thing, if we are talking pragmatism, you did notice that VA could not even raise 25% of its kickstarter goal...so if we are talking pragmatism, one game has cash and one doesn't ya know? honestly cyber, if you hadn't talked about it, i wouldn't know about it even, and i tend to frequent the main gamer news sites. so they seriously need to get the word out there to places like kotaku.
    edited December 2014

Once again, I saw ideas and nothing solid. I know it sounds cruel, but I don't just throw my hard-earned money at anything unless I think it's a sound investment. I saw a team of developers with no real experience, I didn't see much in the way of a plan, I just saw an appeal to CoX players. It seemed shaky to me, and if I would have seen more- I'd have thrown a few bucks at it.

I'll put this as simple as I can: I didn't see anything to invest into at the time. So far, what you're telling me is that if I would have invested, I'd be getting updates on it. However, this information isn't really being shared out in the open. If they want to build faith in the people and gain interest- they need to pimp out their product.
    rianfrost wrote: »
    or if you like them on facebook, so far they have shown 2 costume pieces and a weapon. its on their current placeholder model, but still, in game pics.

Well, that's... something. Not a lot, but... yeah. I'll need a little more than that- and last I heard, we can expect a 2016 release, at the earliest. I could be wrong.
    and one last thing, if we are talking pragmatism, you did notice that VA could not even raise 25% of its kickstarter goal...so if we are talking pragmatism, one game has cash and one doesn't ya know? honestly cyber, if you hadn't talked about it, i wouldn't know about it even, and i tend to frequent the main gamer news sites. so they seriously need to get the word out there to places like kotaku.

One game has cash.

One game has a product and a working alpha. And experienced developers. And former animators from CoX. And they managed this without nearly the amount of money, based solely on hard work and dedication and smart moves.

And I wouldn't wish a Kotaku article on my worst enemy, especially since we gamers are 'dead'. I'd rather them get into a real publication for gaming.

The truth is, I think CoT got initial attention and people invested in it... and people tend to rabidly defend investments. Me? I pay for what I think is realistic. I wish them the best, and again: I look forward to playing two different MMORPG's soon, and enjoying what they both bring to the table.
    edited December 2014
    he, say what you want about kotaku, rather than being thin skinned, its gets news out there. better them than polygon. again i ask as you didnt aswer that part, have you been to the cot site lately to see what they have said?

also, enlighten me again(as you are the only place i have heard of VO from) outside of the recently added animator i don't remember from coh, which experienced developers do they have? never read that before about them. and as for corporate support, it swings both ways, CO was, if i recall, going to be self published until they had to go to atari for backing, and that lead to the corpse we see today, so corporate support is a double edged sword. money is nice, particularly if you cant get any from the fanbase, but it comes at a cost of self determination and can, and has, killed a superhero mmo.

and they are shooting for a 2015 beta, likely a late one, and frankly, a four year dev cycle is fairly standard, especially given the ue3 to ue change. so it was kind of expected that it would take some time to get a product out there. I am going to check out vo to see where they are, i see talk of alpha. but when are they expecting a commercial release? also, can i get a link to the new kickstarter, the only one i'm seeing on ks is the dead one .
    edited December 2014
    he, say what you want about kotaku, rather than being thin skinned, its gets news out there. better them than polygon. again i ask as you didnt aswer that part, have you been to the cot site lately to see what they have said?

1- Calling me dead, or a 'fat basement dwelling nerd' isn't 'news', that's a privileged kid's poor attempt to inject Social Justice Issues into gaming journalism- especially from one that was proven to be, beyond all doubt, lacking in honesty and embracing their conflicts of interest. And their response to being challenged was to lash out at their readers. Sorry, I'd rather read something else. As in, 'actual news'.

2- I have. I cruised through their forums. Again, all I've seen were their engine video and some costume art. Sending me walls of text as 'lore' doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I can write lore all day. It's been a while, but not that long.
    also, enlighten me again(as you are the only place i have heard of VO from) outside of the recently added animator i don't remember from coh, which experienced developers do they have? never read that before about them. and as for corporate support, it swings both ways, CO was, if i recall, going to be self published until they had to go to atari for backing, and that lead to the corpse we see today, so corporate support is a double edged sword. money is nice, particularly if you cant get any from the fanbase, but it comes at a cost of self determination and can, and has, killed a superhero mmo.

It has been discussed in many places. Perhaps if broken outlets like Kotaku weren't your choice, you might hear about something worthwhile. Your lack of discovery does not constitute absence or even quality of this game. Perhaps you should explore, I dunno... Steam? It's been greenlit on there.

Also, Atari didn't ruin CO. Bad development decisions at all levels killed the game. You can't sit and tell me that after Atari left that the game was a constant string of amazing decisions and ideas. We get nice shineys here and there, with some 5-minute content. Yay, I guess that's cool.
    and they are shooting for a 2015 beta, likely a late one, and frankly, a four year dev cycle is fairly standard, especially given the ue3 to ue change. so it was kind of expected that it would take some time to get a product out there. I am going to check out vo to see where they are, i see talk of alpha. but when are they expecting a commercial release?

Don't quote me on this- but Valiance is shooting for 2015, I believe.
    edited December 2014
    Also, I don't think they've got a new KS. If they did, I'd drop some money into it after I saw some new stuff. I have heard rumor (not from them) that the initial KS was for materials and there may be another down the road.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Also, I don't think they've got a new KS. If they did, I'd drop some money into it after I saw some new stuff. I have heard rumor (not from them) that the initial KS was for materials and there may be another down the road.

If I'm not mistaken, only new projects can have a Kickstarter. Anything that's already established can't go that way. Maybe IndieGoGo, I don't know their policies.

And if you're talking about City of Titans, yes, their Kickstarter was only for buying software and such. Nothing much else for funding their developers, which is the reason I don't think it'll come close to succeeding.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited December 2014

It has been discussed in many places. Perhaps if broken outlets like Kotaku weren't your choice, you might hear about something worthwhile. Your lack of discovery does not constitute absence or even quality of this game. Perhaps you should explore, I dunno... Steam? It's been greenlit on there.

Also, Atari didn't ruin CO. Bad development decisions at all levels killed the game. You can't sit and tell me that after Atari left that the game was a constant string of amazing decisions and ideas. We get nice shineys here and there, with some 5-minute content. Yay, I guess that's cool.

Don't quote me on this- but Valiance is shooting for 2015, I believe.
    ok, ignoring the condescending tone, i notice you have yet to actually name these places. now i follow gaming news for a number of gaming styles, handheld console and pc, so which great bastion of knowledge am i missing because again, given the results of its admittedly meager amount of funding it was asking for, it still failed to even reach that, so its not just me. i was merely referring to one of the largest online. its kind of like if you want to sell your bread, better get some shelf space at wal mart, regardless of what you think of them. yes the political nonsense is tiresome, but if you need news, it has a large base to get the word out. again quit being so thin skinned already, they insult me and ideals i hold close on a daily basis, but grown up world means you have to roll with the punches sometimes in order to keep on top of games.

and yes, if you have followed my posting in any capacity, i have been saying nothing but positive things about the current direction of the game. i have written nothing my smiling prose in regard to pwi's handling of it and am aghast that you would inpugne their good name, I can honestly not imagine how with even a cursory read of my posts on the subject you could see anything but full support for pwi. especially since they had bugger all to do with what i was talking about, that cryptic had originally tried to go solo on releasing co before getting into a messy partnership with atari that robbed them of their creative freedom.

also, is the game greenlit? looking at the greenlight page, still seems to be getting votes, and besides, project awakened was greenlit too, and its dead in the water, so greenlight means so much.
    edited December 2014
    ok, ignoring the condescending tone, i notice you have yet to actually name these places. now i follow gaming news for a number of gaming styles, handheld console and pc, so which great bastion of knowledge am i missing because again, given the results of its admittedly meager amount of funding it was asking for, it still failed to even reach that, so its not just me. i was merely referring to one of the largest online. its kind of like if you want to sell your bread, better get some shelf space at wal mart, regardless of what you think of them. yes the political nonsense is tiresome, but if you need news, it has a large base to get the word out. again quit being so thin skinned already, they insult me and ideals i hold close on a daily basis, but grown up world means you have to roll with the punches sometimes in order to keep on top of games.

So, basically the game didn't meet it's kickstarter, or advertise in anything YOU have read. I actually saw it featured in Massively and one other publication featured on these very forums. You'll have to excuse me, I don't work for Valiance and I'm not 'in the know' on their marketing strategy. However, let's just say I've seen it in just as many places as I have CoT.

So, let me explain what you're saying: Valiance failed to meet its kickstarter goal, and despite it having a working product that you can actually try in early alpha you don't think it's worth it. You instead have gone on the binary, and placed your confidence in a game that has yet to show its products.

Also, following these games on facebook might be a good idea. I don't often do this, but I hear it's a better way to get updates.

And, as to 'getting thick skin'. No. Sorry, I don't support people with unethical business practices like Kotaku, or anything else owned by Gawker media. It's not even about an insult- when a publication lowers itself to corrupt practices and then when called on these practices- they SIMULTANEOUSLY launch articles whining about the game community and ridiculing it- I don't see someone I want to hear information from. I am adult enough to know that many things are biased- but white-knighting and covering for their unethical practices gives me no reason to trust them. If they said the sky was blue, I'm pretty certain I could go outside and find it was green.

You're welcome to have as much faith as you want in Social Justice Gaming Monthly, but personally I actually care about my hobby and would rather not be insulted for being filthy cis-scum white male and blamed for all of society's woes in gaming. If they're going to waste white space with that kind of drivel, I'll just go read actual information on gaming. If nothing else, a youtube review from someone will work just fine.
    and yes, if you have followed my posting in any capacity, i have been saying nothing but positive things about the current direction of the game. i have written nothing my smiling prose in regard to pwi's handling of it and am aghast that you would inpugne their good name, I can honestly not imagine how with even a cursory read of my posts on the subject you could see anything but full support for pwi. especially since they had bugger all to do with what i was talking about, that cryptic had originally tried to go solo on releasing co before getting into a messy partnership with atari that robbed them of their creative freedom.

Atari didn't rob CO of its creative freedom, man. This game wasn't really the most creative idea ever. I mean... you've played through this parody of comics, right? It's not what I'd call a stroke of genius. Hard to rob creativity that wasn't really their. All Atari did was try to leave it dead in the water. Since the split, what have we gotten- really?

Sorry, I hate to say it, but PWI isn't taking great care of this game.
    also, is the game greenlit? looking at the greenlight page, still seems to be getting votes, and besides, project awakened was greenlit too, and its dead in the water, so greenlight means so much.

The voting process is still up, then.

I think you're just looking for any reason for this game to fail, because you jumped on the bandwagon and believed in a product- which is all fine and good, but I honestly choose not to invest financially into something until I see that it can deliver.

I highly encourage you to go and try the alpha.

Edit: Let me re-emphasize, I want both these games to succeed. Giving one the finger and siding with the other is silly. This is hardly a competition, but like 'two different opportunities'. I just personally have a bit more faith in something that's there and I can work with it. I wish the other to do well, but right now I see one product that I can mess with and one that hopefully comes out soon.
    edited December 2014

I highly encourage you to go and try the alpha.
    just did, it actually seems pretty nice, and the martial arts anims at even this early stage are better than usual. i plan on playing both, i have said as much a few times already, if you cared to read. honestly if anyone has gone into the binary, its you man. cot is in a different stage of development than vo, that's all a reasonable person can say, how long they take before they feel they have a working prototype ready for public consumption is really their call. calling it a scam(in a backhanded way, . you say you dont think its one but then start insinuating repeatedly that it is, we come to bury ceaser, eh?) is knee jerking pretty fast. i have seen projects crash, they dont have a dev team that is as involved with the audience as cot currently is. For a person who is saying its strictly pragmatic, it comes across as personal, you will just not hear of cot, its a sham, thats all you seem to want to hear of it. development takes different amounts of time and when they have soemthing they want to show, they will show it. for as much as you have gone back and edited that you want both to succeed, you seem to have a palpable grudge against cot.

I have been open to the game, the loss of the kick-starter hurt because it reminded me of project awakened, another superhero game i got hyped about and then got crushed when the money didn't show up. you know why coh was shut down? money you know why co is a walking corpse? money. so if the money is not there for a game, lets hope they have a strategy for an offline mode. because right now, regardless of who they have working on the game(not something one can find clearly stated looking at their website, i may add) they need money.

yu did understand that i was being sarcastic about pwi, right? i have been pretty much consistently down on them. which was one reason i found your post so funny. but neither pwi, nor atari, with whom cryptic merged in 08, nor even take 2 who was the original planned publisher, are the same as being independent. which is the point you seem to be continually missing.
    So, let me explain what you're saying: Valiance failed to meet its kickstarter goal, and despite it having a working product that you can actually try in early alpha you don't think it's worth it. You instead have gone on the binary, and placed your confidence in a game that has yet to show its products.
    thanks for explaining what i was saying, i was unsure what i was saying..since i was the one saying it and all, and i have to admit, before you explained what i was saying, that interpretation had not occurred to me, largely because it was not, by any reasonable interpretation, what i was saying. but now that i realize what i was saying when i wasn't actually saying anything remotely close to that, i feel better informed of my opinion that i dont actually have.
    edited December 2014
    ... calling it a scam is knee jerking pretty fast. i have seen projects crash, they dont have a dev team that is as involved with the audience as cot currently is. For a person who is saying its strictly pragmatic, it comes across as personal, you will just not hear of cot, its a sham, thats all you seem to want to hear of it. development takes different amounts of time and when they have soemthing they want to show, they will show it.

I'm sorry, at what point in anything did I call it a 'scam'? I said that it didn't seem like a sound investment, based on the lack of developer experience and clearly defined product. It seemed like the prhase 'spiritual successor to our beloved City of Heroes' was used more than phrases I needed to see. I kinda liked CoX (I don't think it was as great as people say, but it was better than CO in many ways). Promising me a spinoff/successor isn't enough, either. I'm kind of a financially greedy person- I'm the guy that calls the number on the side of a vending machine when it eats my dollar to get a refund.

That in mind- you'd think that if I believed it to be a 'scam', you bet your butt I would be telling my fellow gamers about it. It wouldn't be the first scam I've called out...
    I have been open to the game, the loss of the kick-starter hurt because it reminded me of project awakened, another superhero game i got hyped about and then got crushed when the money didn't show up. you know why coh was shut down? money you know why co is a walking corpse? money. so if the money is not there for a game, lets hope they have a strategy for an offline mode. because right now, regardless of who they have working on the game(not something one can find clearly stated looking at their website, i may add) they need money.

Project Awakened had my eye, too- but it became quite clear that it was a single-player game, and might become a multiplayer game. It was more 'action-oriented' than it was an MMORPG. On that level, it was competing with Prototype and Infamous (and eventually SR4). Plus, the ultra-realism of it brought me down.

You keep saying the money thing- and I understand what you mean. But, money to start is not the same as a product generating income. Like Biff said- they didn't have enough to pay their devs, they had enough for software and such. So, that money is... gone, I guess. Now they must -make- money.

I also heard they were doing something with City of Heroes, trying to get the IP from NCSoft. I don't know if that fell through or not- but it sounded like a waste of time and resources to me. A better idea would have been to start off with a KS to buy that IP and run the game from the jump. You'd have OVERWHELMING support for that.
    yu did understand that i was being sarcastic about pwi, right? i have been pretty much consistently down on them. which was one reason i found your post so funny. but neither pwi, nor atari, with whom cryptic merged in 08, nor even take 2 who was the original planned publisher, are the same as being independent. which is the point you seem to be continually missing.

You and me both have been hard on CO, and while many people will call us trolls for it- they fail to realize that people like you and I probably look at CO and say 'look at all that wasted potential'.
    edited December 2014
    I

You and me both have been hard on CO, and while many people will call us trolls for it- they fail to realize that people like you and I probably look at CO and say 'look at all that wasted potential'.
    also, for jilted cohers, co was the only other hope, with dcou's gimped costume system. we wanted to love co, it hurts that just lied down and died.

funny thing is, the single player nature of pa was what i wanted. already had an online game taken away from me, i can do without the screaming 15 year olds if i get to keep the game. plus without worrying about latency and keeping the map static for other players, they could make the game a lot more action based, and have real consequences.

as for teh money, heres the thing, it was outlined long ago that mwm is going on a volunteer basis until the launch of the game. that was set up long ago, the important thing was the tools. now, how is VO sustaining itsself financially? they do not currently have an income from the game, so it would seem the developers are in the exact same situation, just using their own resources to work on the game since they haven't gotten any (they seem to be crowdfunding a server for instancing, about halfway through the 10 needed. ) but any concerns about fiscal stability based on biffs comment would also apply to vo currently, or do they have a revenue stream not mentioned on ther webpage?

as for the i.p. thats...complex,insofar as i understand it, not working with them and being neither a programmer nor a lawyer. a separate entity not using any of the ks funds was discussing buying the .p. rights for coh, its widely suspect that they wanted insurance against ncsoft trying to get sue crazy if anything seemed close to coh.(or if they just wanted to cause trouble, their lawyers could quickly wipe out the mwm bank just to be spiteful) it will not be directly integrated into cot. there is also a separate group, atlas park reborn who is trying to rebuild coh in unreal 4 (apparently something in the coding means coh will be unplayable soon because updated server tech wont run the current code. ) so there will be a third independent entity that will control the coh i.p that wont be mwm, but they will have a license to it..again largely as legal shielding. so you wont see statesman in cot, but they can get closer to coh lore without concerns of ncsoft going after them. I'm assuming that vo is taking legal steps to protect themselves too.
    edited December 2014
    also, for jilted cohers, co was the only other hope, with dcou's gimped costume system. we wanted to love co, it hurts that just lied down and died.

What's sad is that I have that fear, every time I see a game with some good ideas [CO's costume creator, TSW's ability decks, Allods' NPC-for-hire to do dungeons, SWToR's story, etc.] and those features will never be seen again in another MMORPG. I've yet to see character creation that can compete with CO.
    funny thing is, the single player nature of pa was what i wanted. already had an online game taken away from me, i can do without the screaming 15 year olds if i get to keep the game. plus without worrying about latency and keeping the map static for other players, they could make the game a lot more action based, and have real consequences.

Eh, that seems like a reasonable interest. I get you.
    as for teh money, heres the thing, it was outlined long ago that mwm is going on a volunteer basis until the launch of the game. that was set up long ago, the important thing was the tools. now, how is VO sustaining itsself financially? they do not currently have an income from the game, so it would seem the developers are in the exact same situation, just using their own resources to work on the game since they haven't gotten any (they seem to be crowdfunding a server for instancing, about halfway through the 10 needed. ) but any concerns about fiscal stability based on biffs comment would also apply to vo currently, or do they have a revenue stream not mentioned on ther webpage?

VO, as I understand, is a labor of love. Mind you, that's still getting them somewhere. As far as a revenue stream goes? Well, I don't know. I just don't. I'm quite certain they're going for some corporate support, maybe? I do know that it's a passion for a creative group of people. In comparison to CoT, they're doing pretty well.

What I'll say is that despite them having the tools, I would prefer to see something tangible soon- it's been a year, maybe more. I don't do game development, but I'd say some degree of 'showing off' would do, maybe set up a 'teaser preview' with that one rag that does stuff for CO.

And no matter what, both games will do better than 'Heroes and Villains', which I think is Golden Girl on a typewriter somewhere screaming at the moon.
    edited December 2014

Truth be told, as much as I want CoT AND Valiance to succeed...

this, ingame. It has been going on since August LAST year.
    someone here said it's no one from the site. so it's some idiots trying to be helpful.

Several people, repeatedly discussing in Zone chat especially if there was an event on but during normal play too, how when CoT comes out everyone will leave CO and go there.
    Also going on at length about how bad CO is especially ofr silver players.

It only stopped recently after a blog about super hero games and I pointed out exactly what it meant in marketing terms, saying things like that.
    Odd that.

I check on both groups sites.

However, a group which resorts to those tactics is one to avoid.

Valliance online , I have more respect for the group which is quietly(though in this case a bit of advertising would be good)getting on with the work.
    They did their first test November last year. The guy running it was awake for about 39hrs to make sure it went on well.

That is the type of dedication which will get it to a working game. I wish them all the best for their game and business.

edited December 2014
    i do not expect to ever see anything playable out of h&v. funny part is i ran a number of tfs with gg and in person, she seemed ok, she did love trolling people though(we seem to have a few here with similar hobbies) but that she broke up the talent pool at the beginning of this to fund an ego project bothered me. i thend to figure that to get things done, sometimes you have to get along to reach a goal, not run off on your own chasing your own exact vision.

and cahelk, i remember the same tactics for co back in coh, some people like being jerks, i didn't hold it against co when they did that because its basic tribalism, some people never grow out of it. besides, you dont need to eb working for another game to comment on how bad co's current situation is :P
    edited December 2014
    <rude comment removed>

Yes some people are like that.
    did yours spend literally hours at a time doing it.

Thankfully they have finally stopped , suspiciously, after it was pointed out, how bad they were making the Cot project sound.

Funny, if I don't like a game. I stop playing it. I don't spend hours telling everyone else how bad it is.
    They can find out for themselves. After all, they will likely have different requirements in a game to me.
    so anyway people, if you are interested in either of them, check out the sites.
    I have no interest, I just like seeing how they put things together and in which order.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I didn't read a single word of this entire thread.

You CoH people got a darn raw deal though... one day I walked into my backyard and found my dog laying on the lawn. She was unresponsive, and later I found out that she had had kidney failure that lead to her basically going completely kaput within minutes... and there was nothing I could do about it. Basically that's what happened to you guys. wtf even u3u

I didn't read a single word of this entire thread.
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You CoH people got a darn raw deal though... one day I walked into my backyard and found my dog laying on the lawn. She was unresponsive, and later I found out that she had had kidney failure that lead to her basically going completely kaput within minutes... and there was nothing I could do about it. Basically that's what happened to you guys. wtf even u3u

You know, I used to think so, too. But the amount of BAAWWWW you read out there, like losing CoX is worse than 9/11? Overrated.

But for all its good ideas, it was past its time. CO should have rivaled it in every way, but they rushed the product and instead we got a 'prettier' game with a fraction of the worthwhile content.

Not to mention, I honestly think CoX's power system was superior to CO's- simply because I loathe the FOTM clown builds.
    edited December 2014
    rushed it out and then 5 months later had another game out.

edited December 2014
    And no matter what, both games will do better than 'Heroes and Villains', which I think is Golden Girl on a typewriter somewhere screaming at the moon.

HA! I am so sigging this.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Valliance online is doing funding again. 6 days left.
    also
    City of Heroes Senior Animator Joins Valiance Online
    check out the website
    no i didn't play but I know some people in the Cox channel missed the last one

OR...we could all just play Cryptic's follow up to CoH. Oh wait ...seems ive been doing just that for the last 4 years :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited December 2014
    what, you think I stopped playing to read websites(another death)

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    what, you think I stopped playing to read websites(another death)

You should know by now its nothing personal ima just a massive b***h.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    You should know by now its nothing personal ima just a massive b***h.

why did you censor broth? everyone already knows how soupy you are u3u