test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fixed price vs agreed value

chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
To explain the difference between meanings;

Currency ingame is resources, Global, National, Local. Globals are most commonly used for buying and selling.

Silver accts have a Global limit of 250 in hand.

De facto currencies are those used instead of Resources in order to get around this cap.

1) Before On Alert- crafting components were used as the de facto currency. This is because several of them had the same buy from and sell to vendor price.

So a stack bought for 100Globals could be sold for 100 globals. This is a fixed price.

2) After On Alert, Cosmic keys are being used as a de facto currencies.

It is ONLY sold in the Zen store for 100 zen.(single item)

It does NOT have a fixed price.
If you think it does, please post a screenshot of the vendor with their shop window open, showing it for sale at 100 Globals.

What it does have , is two things;

a) an agreed value for trading on expensive items. Which is 100Globals per key.

b) a commonly sold price of 100Globals.

Since they have been sold both in zone and the AH for under and over that price, this is also not a fixed price.
Some people want their keys now and buy them for higher. Others are desperate for Globals NOW and sell them lower.

<tactless comments removed>
Players may post whatever prices they want for items. If you don't like them, don't buy them.
You can point out that an item is normally sold for X amount but don't try and say there is a fixed price on something , when there isn't.
Let the flamewar and insults commence.
Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ..Who are you attempting to educate here, Chealk?
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I do miss those old components.

Hated the grindiness of late game crafting, but the components were a godsend for Silvers.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    someone who was having a ... discussion with yesterday. they are on the forums.

Kept insisting that there is a fixed price for keys.

• Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "One (wo)man's fixed price is another's arbitrage opportunity."
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Whenever someone calls for a "price check" in chat, I like to quote a financial axiom dating back to at least the 16th Century:

"The value of a thing is what that thing will bring."

The same is true of keys. They're worth 100 globals - for as long as both buyer and seller agree to that value. As soon as that agreement breaks down, the value will once again begin to fluctuate. We call that "the free market".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I bet if you go to the AH, keys are 150g+. Heard they were up to 180g the other day. If key prices on the AH keep going up, it's probably going to be harder to find sellers that will take 100g. Fixed prices. lol.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Nice essay. Keys commonly go for 100g.

correct. They commonly go for, they do not always go for.

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There aren't enough thinks to use keys on for me to buy them any higher that 100g each. The market fluctuates but keys always stabilize at 100g. However if the devs do more "farming management" making globals more scarce, the richer players that are afraid of their hundreds of thousands decreasing in value will do their best to force that average to go up.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    correct. They commonly go for, they do not always go for.

I never said they always go for anything. I'm not the person you wrote the essay for.
    sterga wrote: »
    I bet if you go to the AH, keys are 150g+. Heard they were up to 180g the other day. If key prices on the AH keep going up, it's probably going to be harder to find sellers that will take 100g. Fixed prices. lol.

I'm still buying them at 100g. The AH has never been a good indicator for anything other than AH prices.
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is it bad that I already knew who this was directed at before reading their reply and without ever seeing whatever prior discussion started this

You lot are super predictable
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Fixed prices.

Free market economy.

Pick one.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Look where it's got the U.S. economy right now.

Don't defend Greeders.

This is what it looks like when a conversation on a forum jumps the shark.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That's right each and every one of you who decided to spend money to purchase ZEN so that you can get keys to put up for sale in the AH for globals! You better damn sure follow the principle of strictly adhering to this made-up "ethical" standard of pricing each key at just 100G!

If you don't do this, you're a greeder, plain and simple! You don't get to decide how you personally want to value the commodity that you actually own, even though you spent your own ZEN on it, on your own account! What's that you say? The AH is a free market and you don't have to follow non-existent pricing laws? Well tooooo bad! Do it or be condemned as a greeder! Greeder greeder greeeeder!

Give me a break.

P.S. In all seriousness, it's not impossible to find better deals at the AH that are priced around 150G while avoiding the near 200G prices, if the mark-up from the supposed 100G "standard" is such a big deal. If you're so bothered about spending globals on keys, maybe consider actually buying them with ZEN. I know, crazy idea right?
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    This is what it looks like when a conversation on a forum jumps the shark.

And this is what that looks like.

meme-jumpedtheshark-12002382.jpg
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Blah blah blah entitlement, blah blah blah capitalism.

Spare me. Academically, as I get 500 zen a month with which I could "buy" keys, it would be in my personal interest to want the possible returns higher for converting them into Globals.

But unlike the ones defending the wreck of the game's economy.. I actually can see the big picture.

Greed is the vice of the small-minded and unfulfilled.

Clap clap, pat on the back. A true moral beacon that everyone should look up to. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So, it's OK for CO to have never ending lockbox cycles, but not for players to capitalize on those who really want those keys?

If anyone is to blame for CO's economy, it's cryptic.

And I see we have a new insult word to throw around. *sigh*
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Mmmmm. Moral bacon.

bacon-kevin-bacon.jpeg

I always sell keys for 100g. I've had a devil of a time the last week buying them for that price, EVEN WITH THE SALE. Finally got 12 of the 20 I was looking for after like a week of trying. No, keys do not average 100g anymore. It's possible, in the same way I've seen people buy telio pheremones for 500g. I'd say 110-120 is a lot more reasonable to expect. Protip: that's not the standard price if you have to wait long periods of time to find something at that price.

No, we don't have a fixed economy anymore. I bet we could absolutely find a good alternative currency if we looked hard enough, though.There has to be SOMETHING in game that vends at the same rate you can buy it. I feel like keys became the thing out of convenience more than anything.

I just wish we could somehow bottle forum drama. It's apparently a limitless resource.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    00374134-661411_275.jpg?k=83e85388&pid=374134&s=catl&sn=tnt
    -
    no_drama_sigg_water_bottle.jpg?height=225&width=225
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I agree on this point, but we can't control Cryptic. We can control our own personal actions, however.

Two wrongs and all that.

He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There has to be SOMETHING in game that vends at the same rate you can buy it.

Heal potions do. But they vend pretty low and stack to 6, iirc.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    to reprint the last bit of my opening post.Since a lot of people seem to have NOT reads it.

Players may post whatever prices they want for items.
    If you don't like them, don't buy them.
    You can point out that an item is normally sold for X amount but don't try and say there is a fixed price on something , when there isn't.

I also get 500Zen per month , on 2 accts. I buy my own keys.

I give away all the items I don't want from the lockboxes.

Do you see me complaining about GREEDERS selling these items when they should be giving them away for free?

NO because it is my choice to do what I want with my items and their choice to do with theirs.

The game overall runs, on players being able to play how they want, within the TOS. Not on any player imposed guidelines.
    yes you get some people going for all they can get, regardles sof the effect on others. You will alays have people like that.

What I am pointing out is exactly that;

You only can say what you do do with YOUR items.
    You have no right to say what anyone else does with theirs.
    You may give suggestions but THAT IS ALL.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.
    The Keys must flow!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Two wrongs and all that.

You've confused me. Where's the wrongdoing?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't sell my Keys for 100Gs. I don't sell my Keys for 200Gs. Or 500Gs.
    I don't buy Keys for 100Gs. Or 90Gs. Or 500Gs.
    I used Tons of Zen to buy Keys. Meaning €/$.
    *steers away from the right rail*
    My quata of bought Keys is on it's limit.
    Next year, no Zen over the monthly 500Z be spend on Keys. Or Gs.
    I noticed how i'm okay not having all the "Cool Stuff" from the Boxes.
    *steers back to right rail*
    Happy Coming New Year.
    (dang, wrong rail...)
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Blah blah blah entitlement, blah blah blah capitalism.

So wait... who's the one feeling entitled here? The people who spent their actual money that they worked a job for to get a thing in the game, or the people who played a video game to get a thing in the game?

Personally I wouldn't feel bad if somehow the going rate for keys became 250G... because I would never feel bad for forcing someone to play a video game to get something in a video game. Mainly because I haven't gone completely insane and still have a grasp on the concept that it's a video game and if the price is too high you can just shrug and not get the thing and it doesn't even matter if you never get the thing because it's just a little picture of a key that can get you little pictures of hover bikes and t-shirts.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Follow the bouncing logic:

-Greeders price-gouge Keys to the point no one buys them. In the process they thus destroy the Silver currency of exchange, further lowering the trade value. Keys become a "5a month for subscribers" kinda deal, because not enough people will pay the price the Greeders are squeezing for.

-The lack of a market for keys will not likely be compensated for by the higher prices paid, rarely, for individual Keys. Thus fewer Keys will be bought in the long run. This will lower visibility and availability of the lockbox trinkets on the market, driving the prices of them up in Gs and pushing them out of the realm of Silvers' 250G limit. This hurts interest. Fewer keys get sold. Less money gets into the game's coffers accordingly.

- Lowered profits further escalate the death of the game's timetable.

Nothing good ever came from encouraging or even accepting price gouging greeders. Stagnation and collapse are inevitable in any unregulated market,in fictional goods or real.

$1.00 USD = 100g, or roughly (with a Resource boost) around 25 Smashes at 40, so roughly an hour's dedicated Smashing. That's a fair and established rate of exchange. It stimulates the game's economy, provides goods that further stimulate it, and benefits everyone.

Mutual profit is sustainable.Greeder-influenced grasping at more profit ruins the system.

This doesn't actually happen in video games though... because people acquire things by playing the video game. It's not like real life where people have to work to get things.

That's where you went wrong.... you tried to compare this too much to how it works outside video games.

Keep in mind, we're talking about a game where costume pieces have been going for thousands of gold for years.

Also, you know what happens if less people buy keys? The price goes down. Free market magic.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Follow the bouncing logic:

-Greeders price-gouge Keys to the point no one buys them. In the process they thus destroy the Silver currency of exchange, further lowering the trade value. Keys become a "5a month for subscribers" kinda deal, because not enough people will pay the price the Greeders are squeezing for.

-The lack of a market for keys will not likely be compensated for by the higher prices paid, rarely, for individual Keys. Thus fewer Keys will be bought in the long run. This will lower visibility and availability of the lockbox trinkets on the market, driving the prices of them up in Gs and pushing them out of the realm of Silvers' 250G limit. This hurts interest. Fewer keys get sold. Less money gets into the game's coffers accordingly.

- Lowered profits further escalate the death of the game's timetable.

Nothing good ever came from encouraging or even accepting price gouging greeders. Stagnation and collapse are inevitable in any unregulated market,in fictional goods or real.

$1.00 USD = 100g, or roughly (with a Resource boost) around 25 Smashes at 40, so roughly an hour's dedicated Smashing. That's a fair and established rate of exchange. It stimulates the game's economy, provides goods that further stimulate it, and benefits everyone.

Mutual profit is sustainable.Greeder-influenced grasping at more profit ruins the system.

Following the slippery slope of logic here:

If people price-gouge keys to the point where nobody buys them, then the sellers will lower their price so people will buy them. Base desire to get globals for keys will outweigh their desire to overprice them. People will pay what they are willing to pay, and no more. An extremely basic understanding of supply and demand would do you a world of good on this point.

You're effectively trying to create an artificial pricepoint for keys that cannot be exceeded based on your own self-imposed moral standard for how keys sell. Stop trying to be the manipulative "greeder" you're accusing everyone else of, and accept that sometimes prices fluctuate. To be honest, I'm surprised the price of keys hasn't /dropped/ yet, given the current sales going on. It's likely that is the path that will be taken anyway if enough Zen users who didn't buy keys solely to use them made purchases.

It's not a hard concept. It really isn't. All it requires is that you relinquish your chokehold on this silly moral high-ground you've attached to your position long enough to use a wee bit of logic.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Key prices are high because people want what's in that new lockbox. Key prices are going to stay high as long as Cryptic keeps pumping out lockboxes with stuff everyone wants in them. On the bright side, it's unlikely that keys will ever be more than 250g.

Players really want those keys. Even q to zen prices are almost at cap. And they're going to stay that way because Cryptic doesn't give a crap about balancing the game economy as long as they get money. And clearly, there are a lot of players that don't have a problem with this, otherwise they'd stop trying to get keys.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The higher the resource price of keys the more likely people will spend real worldmoney to acquire keys.

Real world money spent on keys raises the amount of money the game is making.

Raising the amount of money the game is making raises the opinion that the executives have of the game.

As the opinion of the executives gets higher, we get close to getting more content.

We want the resource of keys to be high.

This is how the resource price of keys actually relates to real world economics.
  • Options
    highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The fact that it doesn't have a fixed price is petty useful. It allows for the magic "buy for 100 -> sell on AH for 140" money fountain to function. I couldn't live without that.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I sometimes buy Questionite with Z, from real world money, because I make a comfortable living. I love when the exchange rate is high, because it works out well for me, lots of Q.

I have no apologies about that. People do have to sell Zen for that market to work.

Key prices are connected very strongly with the quality of the items in the lockboxes. Some of those boxes have been lousy, with stuff people didn't want, and key prices dropped down to 80 or 90 G, especially when a lockbox was out for months and months, and when the drop rates were higher.

Now, Cryptic is putting out boxes more frequently, with things people really want, at a fairly low drop rate. This means more people want keys to open boxes, so the price goes up.

Kudos to Cryptic for making boxes have things that people want.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If I'm selling keys I'd just put them up on the AH. Less fuss, less name-calling, moar profit $_$.

Anyway there isn't a price that will make everyone happy. Sell them for 100g and you're a filthy cutthroat undercutter. Sell them for more and you're a Greeder. Just sell them for whatever you feel like.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    To explain the difference between meanings;

Currency ingame is resources, Global, National, Local. Globals are most commonly used for buying and selling.

Silver accts have a Global limit of 250 in hand.

De facto currencies are those used instead of Resources in order to get around this cap.

1) Before On Alert- crafting components were used as the de facto currency. This is because several of them had the same buy from and sell to vendor price.

So a stack bought for 100Globals could be sold for 100 globals. This is a fixed price.

2) After On Alert, Cosmic keys are being used as a de facto currencies.

It is ONLY sold in the Zen store for 100 zen.(single item)

It does NOT have a fixed price.
    If you think it does, please post a screenshot of the vendor with their shop window open, showing it for sale at 100 Globals.

What it does have , is two things;

a) an agreed value for trading on expensive items. Which is 100Globals per key.

b) a commonly sold price of 100Globals.

Since they have been sold both in zone and the AH for under and over that price, this is also not a fixed price.
    Some people want their keys now and buy them for higher. Others are desperate for Globals NOW and sell them lower.

<tactless comments removed>
    Players may post whatever prices they want for items. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

Ive always sold my keys for around 90g but ive seem them get as stupid high as 300g in AH.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!