test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Build Request: Regen, Enrage, Martial Artist

bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Builds and Roles
Hi there. I'm looking for some help at the moment on a build I'm having trouble even putting together. I'm hoping people can help out.

I like having Regeneration, Enrage, and basically martial artist punching/kicking theme. Also, I'd like to tank with it as well.

So, that's what I'm looking for. I know the Ultimate I would like to have is Unleashed Rage, and as a lunge I would like Void Shift. Otherwise, please have at it. Give me some ideas, thoughts, something, please? Any helpful links would also be appreciated.

Hope to get some response/help pretty soon. I've been asking in my coalition of super-groups and had some ideas, but none felt right at the time. So far, I've tried a Dimensional/Spirit Reverb unlock bit but since that was just One Hundred Hands spamming, I didn't like it too well. It is what introduced me to the coolness of Void Shift.

In any case, I'm hoping to get some help with this and/or build ideas. I look forward to responses and ideas.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm not going to claim to be an expert, or that this build will be very effective... but working from what you've given, I've come up with this...

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Blade
    Level 6: Accurate
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Righteous Fists
    Level 1: Inexorable Tides (Challenging Strikes)
    Level 6: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
    Level 8: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 11: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Enrage
    Level 17: Rising Knee (Flowing Strikes)
    Level 20: Dragon Uppercut
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Resurgence
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Intensity
    Level 35: Unleashed Rage
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (3/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Finishing Blow (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Since Enrage (from what I remember anyway) builds off knocks and knock attempts, you'll want knock based powers, which MA has some of the best... Knock-ups and Knock-downs... keeps your target close and helpless... at least until you build up their resistance anyway. You'll want to use a fully charged Dragon Uppercut for energy return when you can as well.

MA builds are great for building dodge/avoid tanks, and when combined with Regen you could potentially be unkillable.

I've left everything unranked, so that you may select what is more important for you to rank up. However, some of the additional advantages shouldn't be passed up on... and since you want to tank you'll want threat management from CC & CS. Additionally, there is one power available for you to choose freely.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At the very least get STR primary (with CON secondary and juggernaut spec).
    END is not the best option for energy SS, I'd probably go for INT. You'll need some EU since the normal MA energy management (MA form and rush) is not available with enrage, and MSA is probably the best/easiest option.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    At the very least get STR primary (with CON secondary and juggernaut spec).
    END is not the best option for energy SS, I'd probably go for INT. You'll need some EU since the normal MA energy management (MA form and rush) is not available with enrage, and MSA is probably the best/easiest option.
    Pretty much agree. Raign's take on concept w/ all the guidelines is pretty solid overall, but I'd mainly change these things about it (def add Physical Peak from Str PSS to lower energy costs). Ya could still use Spirit Reverb, ofc, since DU can add Dimensional dmg, but then you'd prob want more attacks in ur build that apply Dimensional dmg or the EU won't work out that well outside of certain scenarios. MSA + Int is an easy option that's more universal, though.

Also, although DU is a strong dps move for a build that wants Enrage + MA, it can't apply CripC (and neither does rising knee). I'd prob just stick CripC on the lunge as that will proc MSA anyways, and maybe replace Rising Knee w/ Demolish w/ adv.

Since ur using Enrage, I'd also replace Intensity w/ Aggressor (or Ego Surge w/ NM, if optimization is more important than the theme). Would also change Brawler to Vindicator, since there's no combos in the build to benefit from Setup, and Str PSS + Juggernaut works well w/ Wardicator.

The only other general issue w/ such a concept is that there's aren't any good MA AoE's that knock- ur left w/ a short-range melee cone (Tides- a decent move in its own), and that could be cumbersome to have to AoE with. Open Palm Strike's AoE adv (the other option) is short-reach (25ft) and a small cylinder (and it can't have CripC or CS).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, first off... did you guys not read my opening post or something? I've tried One Hundred Hands. I didn't like it. Yep, sorry, toss that suggestion out.

Also, have you guys considered mixing in other powersets as well to make up for the lack of a decent AoE?
    edited December 2014
    Bluegrassbeast prob misread the topic; no biggie.

And yes, you'll likely want to outsource from MA if ya want an easier time in AoE when using Enrage. I didn't expand on that topic at the time cause I didn't (well, don't) know what other powersets you'd deem 'okay' for that outside of MA.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited December 2014
    I'm actually open to almost anything as it is easy to design around almost anything in the game as far as character look.
    edited December 2014
    Alright. Some knock AoE's that aren't melee cones:

Sparkstorm, Lightning Storm w/ adv, Pyre w/ adv, Crushing Wave w/ adv, Hurricane or Wind Breath w/ adv, Avalanche, TK Burst w/ adv, Brimstone, Tremor, Fault Line, Fissure, Iron Cyclone w/ adv, Havoc Stomp, Shockwave, Shadow Embrace w/ adv, Vicious Cyclone w/ adv.

Didn't include all of them, but that's a good chunk of it. My pick would prob be Iron Cyclone w/ Vortex- just cause corralling enemies is nice (for follow-ups) and cause it has wide reach (though the dps is low). However, Brimstone is decent as a true melee AoE, since most of the other options are ranged/Ego-scaling (though usually have better reach).
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Shuriken Storm w/ adv seems like the best fit here, if it works with theme. You have MA, so...
    edited December 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »
    Shuriken Storm w/ adv seems like the best fit here, if it works with theme. You have MA, so...
    It won't build Enrage, but that could work if, say, ya used Pounce as the lunge and cycled in Aggressor, UR (and/or Unbreakable w/ adv) when ur not using the single-target knock attacks to keep Enrage stacking. You'll at least need MSA energy to make sure straight-up AoEing trash isn't an energy sink.
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh right, an enrage builder. Yes, could be a concern, but as you said rotating a knock power isn't that difficult.
    edited December 2014
    Torrent of arrows could be in theme for MA, and works very nice for a tank (huge aoe and good knock).
    edited December 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    Torrent of arrows could be in theme for MA, and works very nice for a tank (huge aoe and good knock).
    Yeah Arrow Torrent w/ adv is pretty good. I find the KB to be a bit annoying when other people use it in groups sometimes (esp as melee), but the attack itself is solid- esp for its range.
    edited December 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Yeah Arrow Torrent w/ adv is pretty good. I find the KB to be a bit annoying when other people use it in groups sometimes (esp as melee), but the attack itself is solid- esp for its range.

That can cause problems, but it does depend on your build and how you use it a lot. Getting 400 ego and fully charging it will make mobs fly 100 feet through the air. Without stacking ego the knock is pretty weak, and tapping or half-charging makes it work more like an interrupt then a knock.
    edited December 2014
    Okay, lots of replies. Shuriken Storm w/ Adv I'm going to pass on here. Seriously, you spin in place flicking cards everyone is the animation for it. Much as I think it's funny, not something to ever be taken seriously even if it is pointy pieces of metal.

bluegrassbeast: To be fair, you basically told me the same thing another person did and lead to the One Hundred Hands testing. I'll acknowledge the BCF was missed on the end on my part and I apologize for that.

In any case, I'll have to look at the Torrent of Arrows. I've not done anything with Archery before. The Iron Vortex does sound appealing as well, however.
    edited December 2014
    Okay, so, I did some digging, experimenting for what I felt I wanted, and well... this is what for some reason or another works for me so far. I'm still working on levelling it up sufficiently, as a note, but the power selection so far is accurate up to level 16, I believe. I'll double check when I log on tomorrow just to be sure. I apologise that overall, it seems as if what I liked didn't really fit into the build except for three powers. The entire bit was a whim that I've found myself really liking playing so far, so again my apologies to those that figured out ideas and builds so far.

My current play style has been to leave Clobber running for my EB, Iron Lariat a target in and Void Shift to them while they are still flying, then lay in with Defensive Combo. Rinse and repeat on other ranged targets as needed. Trust me, that Iron Lariat was pretty fun before I got Void Shift still. With the extra ability to pull stuff in, I tend to Void Shift just to put some Fear on. Might be useful to Spirit Reverb later on.

The one problem I have found and I'm planning on taking Rising Knee to correct is that for some reason Iron Lariat's KB is not registered by Enrage on super villain level enemies. Resurgence is also planned at some point. That means anything not normally able to be Knocked pretty much means no Enrage at current. However, this is also leaving me open to put some of the Martial Arts attacks on the end for interesting damage as well as anything else I feel I might need character-wise.

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Master
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Martial Focus
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber (Onslaught)
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Iron Lariat
    Level 8: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 11: Regeneration
    Level 14: Enrage (Giant Growth)
    Level 17:
    Level 20:
    Level 23:
    Level 26:
    Level 29:
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Deflection (1/3)
    edited December 2014
    The Lariats not triggering Enrage on knock-immune targets sounds like a bug to me, since knock attempts are supposed to count (else stacking it or Manip w/ CC vs. bosses would be impossible). There's another bug w/ the chain spells where Iron Chain in particular gains no bonus dmg from charging via Meteor Hammer (though meteor hammer allows it to proc Enrage easily)- which bats down its already low dps even further. This isn't an issue w/ Lash in Infernal SN.

Rising Knee w/ FS could work w/ Enrage and R3 Iron Chain. If using the Lariat, I'd take R2 + the special adv to stack the bleed. I'd still consider the Infernal SN chain spells to be better overall, though, since ya can add Defile and Firesnake to the mix. Another option is using both Lariats to stack to 5xBleed and Rupturing it w/ Reaper's Embrace- this is prob the best way to get good single-target dps from any of the chain spells.
    edited December 2014
    The Lariats not triggering Enrage on knock-immune targets sounds like a bug to me, since knock attempts are supposed to count (else stacking it or Manip w/ CC vs. bosses would be impossible). There's another bug w/ the chain spells where Iron Chain in particular gains no bonus dmg from charging via Meteor Hammer (though meteor hammer allows it to proc Enrage easily)- which bats down its already low dps even further. This isn't an issue w/ Lash in Infernal SN.

Rising Knee w/ FS could work w/ Enrage and R3 Iron Chain. If using the Lariat, I'd take R2 + the special adv to stack the bleed. I'd still consider the Infernal SN chain spells to be better overall, though, since ya can add Defile and Firesnake to the mix. Another option is using both Lariats to stack to 5xBleed and Rupturing it w/ Reaper's Embrace- this is prob the best way to get good single-target dps from any of the chain spells.

Eh, not sure I like the Bleed effects overall, I mean it's dripping blood that you can't color in any way, and I'm still going Tank a good deal. Bleeds are not a favorite of mine as I don't like going that dark and gritty usually.
    edited December 2014
    If ur going to tank, then I'd primarily consider Iron Chain or Lash to apply CripC- that gives them some use since otherwise they're just underwhelming dps powers. The Lariats won't add much, though, esp if ur not going for the bleed, and ur already using Rising Knee for MSA and Enrage.

Ya could try a 'rotation' of Knee -> 1x Iron Chain -> 1x charged MA power that primarily uses Crushing dmg. Knee prcos MSA, Chain applies CripC, and the charged MA power is to help bring up the single-target dmg considerably.
    edited December 2014
    If ur going to tank, then I'd primarily consider Iron Chain or Lash to apply CripC- that gives them some use since otherwise they're just underwhelming dps powers. The Lariats won't add much, though, esp if ur not going for the bleed, and ur already using Rising Knee for MSA and Enrage.

Ya could try a 'rotation' of Knee -> 1x Iron Chain -> 1x charged MA power that primarily uses Crushing dmg. Knee prcos MSA, Chain applies CripC, and the charged MA power is to help bring up the single-target dmg considerably.

Okay, making sure here, because I'm a bit confused by the above post now. I can't see it at all. Mostly because my big taunt? It's Defensive Combo. It's not some big Iron Chain, Knee, charged MA, or the like. WHY would I take that out of a rotation meant to tank, again?

If anyone can enlighten me to the logic in this, please do? Thanks.
    edited December 2014
    Okay, making sure here, because I'm a bit confused by the above post now. I can't see it at all. Mostly because my big taunt? It's Defensive Combo. It's not some big Iron Chain, Knee, charged MA, or the like. WHY would I take that out of a rotation meant to tank, again?

If anyone can enlighten me to the logic in this, please do? Thanks.
    Just making a suggestion based on ur original vision of MA (not Might), but adding in the chain spells. I was positing how to make chain spells work w/ a diff setup- else its hard to find reasons to include them at all. Ur assuming my 'rotation' would keep Defense Combo- it would not, but I guess I have to clarify that now. If ya dun like it then throw it out w/ all the other advise :p

Also, I dunno why ur taking snark as ur default tone w/ people just trying to help. It can turn people away from your cause, and def moreso than throwing out all prev advise (which is okay by me, but corrodes trust).
    edited December 2014
    To explain, most of my "snark" is pointing out the obvious. It tends to work better than being polite sometimes because people are used to getting their way or think their way is the absolute best there is at something. That's just what I've found out, however. I'm sure there are those out there that don't do that, but I know they're a dime a dozen usually.

I'm still not seeing the logic, as a note. None of the mentioned are a good taunt setup, and with the way DPS works, you need a lot of that going on for any tank type in either the presented build above or the one I'm working on at the moment.
    edited December 2014
    To explain, most of my "snark" is pointing out the obvious. It tends to work better than being polite sometimes because people are used to getting their way or think their way is the absolute best there is at something. That's just what I've found out, however. I'm sure there are those out there that don't do that, but I know they're a dime a dozen usually.

I'm still not seeing the logic, as a note. None of the mentioned are a good taunt setup, and with the way DPS works, you need a lot of that going on for any tank type in either the presented build above or the one I'm working on at the moment.
    This community is quite small and I think you'll find that people prefer to do their own things, and that influences their own suggestions as far as building. I'd wager that those who truly think they are the be-all-end-all to building are few among those who actively post here (can't speak of in-game, each player's experience will differ there). Further, I'd argue w/ such an open system like CO's FF and how each player has their own prefs, that its not really possible to live up to that claim as an indep adviser anyways.

I'd maybe understand in forums to a more mainstream game w/ higher amount of overt trolling taking your sort of more guarded approach, but here I think its just gonna make you enemies unnecessarily. Lastly, the dps of the charged MA moves is very good for some of them- so yes, you can have good dps by including one w/ Rising Knee's debuff, even w/ a chain spell in there. Will it be as good as Defense Combo for threat? No, but very few things are by comparison.

I didn't stick w/ suggestions using Defense Combo cause 1) it doesn't need to be paired w/ anything or have anything special done to it for threat- there's not much of note to discuss for DC's threat. 2) Its not MA and didn't seem to fit in w/ the concept, so I was looking for alternatives. 3) Given that you've changed your build completely, I do not know what you consider sacrosanct to it now, so I'd rather not be mocked for not taking Defense Combo's inclusion for granted.

If ya wanted to keep Defense Combo in there regardless, ofc that's fine.. just need some concrete things to build off of, ya know?
    edited December 2014
    Here's one as a suggestion- a full build that keeps Regen, Defense Combo, UR, and Clobber:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Master
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Body and Mind
    Level 18: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Relentless

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Iron Cyclone (Rank 2, Vortex Technique, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 20: Rising Knee (Rank 2, Flowing Strikes)
    Level 23: Retaliation (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Aggressor (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Rising Knee, Dragon Uppercut, Aggressor, UR, and Iron Cyclone can all help you build and maintain Enrage.

For single target threat, you can just use knee (Enrage + MSA) + Defense Combo spam. Since ya wanted some more MA stuff in there, I added in DU. Even though DC + CripC >> DU for threat, R3 DU w/ knee's debuff is much more dps. Ya won't always need to worry about threat, I figure, so having a higher dps option can be nice.

AoE for this build is lunge -> Vortex Iron Cyclone -> DC. The last hit of DC is a small-radius AoE that gives ya Defiance stacks based on #targets hit w/ it (and ya can keep those stacks up even for lone bosses if ya refresh Defiance w/ DC before the whole stack drops off). Clumping mobs also helps if ur setting up for UR.

Ya would have a bit of an easier time building Enrage by using Pounce as ur lunge, but its still workable otherwise if ya wanna keep void shift (you may just have to knee more often). Keep in mind Enrage lasts longer than most other toggles once ya get good Str, so that can work in your favor here.

Stats and specs are the gold standard: STR/Con/Int w/ Juggernaut and Wardicator- lotsa innate Defense and Offense. May want to gear for some extra crit rating, though.

Again, just a suggestion. I hope it at least helps gives you some more ideas to use.
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is just for fun and not directed specifically to the OP, I thought about what would be the best all-around Regeneration tank build. I think this has the best combination of healing, damage and defense. If I were to gear this I would do all CON mods, a Hospitable Eyepiece with Vigilante secondaries, and Impact prisms in the Primary Defense.

Fight animationwise does look unarmed and if I wanted more theme I would trade Void Shift for Pounce. I know in Heroic gear with rank 5 mods you can SOLO Gravitar (with good skills).

Need to be careful with energy though, keep those AO's/AD's on different cycles. Massacre is a very high DPS power but needs a lot of energy.

Name: Best Regeneration Tank

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Fist
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Body and Mind
    Level 15: Covert Ops Training
    Level 18: Mighty
    Level 21: Brilliant

Powers:
    Level 1: Bestial Fury
    Level 1: Shred (Penetrating Strikes, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
    Level 14: Masterful Dodge
    Level 17: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 20: Massacre (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 26: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 29: Resurgence
    Level 32: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 35: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Havoc Stomp (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)