What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Gimp My Build Challenge!

deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
This had to be done sooner or later, so here it is:
The "Gimp My Build" challenge!

--

Players must create a build and character to utilize it as well as make it to 40 with said build and character. The rules for this challenge are as follows:

--

1. Characters cannot wear any equipment or utilize any device items/boosts. (Mission Devices are OK, as they are required to progress.)
2. Character builds must not contain any: Slotted Passive, Toggled Form, Block Replacers, Active Offenses, Active Defenses, Abilities tagged as a Pet/Summon (Sigils are OK!), or the ability Rebirth.
3. Characters may not team up with other characters that are not participating in the challenge, Alerts are a big no-no unless all players are taking part in the challenge.
4. Characters must have "#GimpMyBuild" in addition to a link to this thread in their background/bio/story/description. Optionally, the tag can go into the Character's Social Status as well.
5. Should a Gimped character make it to 40, notify me for a check and your name will go down in this thread in glory unending!

Bonus: Character does not use Advantage Points.
Bonus: Character does not have Superstats or Talent Points. (Innate does not count against this)
Bonus: Character does not use the Specialization Trees.
Bonus: Character is in the official Gimp SG known as "The Gimps".
Bonus: Character begins the game from the Tutorial.
Bonus: Character does not use Witchcraft's Double Experience Weekend Buff.
Bonus: Character participates in 5-man lairs or alerts with other Gimps.

--
List of Lv40 Gimps!

In order of Lv40 notification/awareness:

1: FYIAD@Kaiserin - (2 out of 7 Bonus Score)
2: Knightstick@Roughbear - (2 out of 7 Bonus Score)
Congratulations!
--

There it is everyone, go nuts!
Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm taking part. :3
  • Options
    kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh god, that sounds like a nightmare.

I'm totally in.
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Energy builder allowed?

If yes I could join on an AT.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    so we're allowed energy builders, attacks, non active-defense heals,crowd control,

<evil grin>

lets see someone try 2gm, strafing run, epidemic and survive the aggro.

heres one with Night warrior passive and no gear at 30
    screenshot_2013-11-18-03-45-49_zpsb3dd71d0.jpg

and heres a grimoire at 30 with no gear. amazing how little you get form just AOPM
    screenshot_2013-12-30-19-43-18_zps5bdf3a3a.jpg

It was a pain in the rear with Spec trees to do both. basically most of my buffs, heals came from them.
    off/def all came from them.
    **** you can see on both I had to stack the device bar with heals.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    deadman20 wrote: »
    -Snippity- Character builds must not contain any: Slotted Passive, Block Replacers, Active Offenses, Active Defenses, Abilities tagged as a Pet/Summon (Sigils are OK!), or the ability Rebirth. -Snip-
    chaelk wrote: »
    -More Snip- amazing how little you get form just AOPM -Snip-
    -Snip- I could join on an AT. -All the Snip-

The only way ATs will count is if you take off the passive, turn off the toggled forms, and remove any and all of the above mentioned from your Power Tray. Must play that way forever, so sell your gear while you're at it. I also say you should have an entirely new character dedicated to this, as you have to go through the game from 1 to 40 in this fashion without any help from Non-Gimp Players. :rolleyes:

Remember though, your best power as a Gimp is, in fact, teaming up with other Gimps. Come join "The Gimps" SuperGroup and show those villains that even the weakest of heroes are there to stop them! :cool:
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will give this a whirl when I get home today.
    I am thinking of taking the "no specs", no "advantage points", and "no talents" bonuses.

Somehow, I think a character made that way can still be successful in Champs, especially on normal difficulty.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    I think I could do this with 3-4 powers. Perhaps I shall try. Superstats are okay I take it?
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I think it'd be more so / just as much to do with the energy issues you'd get especially from SR which is very energy hungry as a burst. Without any gear your energy these powers will be a lot more meh, the aggro doesn't matter so much.

I'm gonna give this go on super hard elite mode and get owned 24/7, sounds like fun. :D #impMyBuild
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I'd imagine STR/CON would be an obvious choice if superstats are ok, but it wouldn't matter as much if you're going for the no specs bonus.

STR doesn't matter too much as a PSS because of the lack of gear but yeah if you are going melee most likely it is still best to use even without gear.
  • Options
    bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I want in. This seems very fun.

I'll make a toon called "The Incredible Miserable" and add 14 DoTs.

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After doing some math in my head:
    • Running in support/hybrid is probably most optimal.
    • CON or PRE primary is probably a good choice. STR is comparatively weak in this situation. The 3rd stat should be STR or EGO, because of high damage % scaling given that you'll never hit DR, and the softcap is at 70.
    • Given the constraints, protector and sentinel trees are unusually good. In contrast, ward/guard/vind is comparatively weak in this situation.
    • An energy SS (REC/END) is almost required.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So the challenge is to level purely through mission content? The very content that is the definition of easiest stuff in the game? I'd participate if it wasn't making me yawn already u_u I'm looking forward to the legions of people who proudly declare that they easily finished this challenge... and who are then completely burned out on mission content because all they did was make it take longer.

Why do I get the feeling this is just a ploy to make all the leveling zones look active on the chance that new people try the game during christmas vacation....

What aggro? Considering the nature of the challenge, anything you're hitting with those attacks will already be aggro'd to you... not like you'll be doing Grabs.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    So the challenge is to level purely through mission content? The very content that is the definition of easiest stuff in the game? I'd participate if it wasn't making me yawn already u_u I'm looking forward to the legions of people who proudly declare that they easily finished this challenge... and who are then completely burned out on mission content because all they did was make it take longer.

No, you can do alerts as long as all five people in the alerts are Gimps. So basically they need to do a premade group for them.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    soulforger wrote: »
    No, you can do alerts as long as all five people in the alerts are Gimps. So basically they need to do a premade group for them.

Okay. You deleted the wrong part of the quote tho u3u
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »
    • CON or PRE primary is probably a good choice. STR is comparatively weak in this situation. The 3rd stat should be STR or EGO, because of high damage % scaling given that you'll never hit DR, and the softcap is at 70.
    • Given the constraints, protector and sentinel trees are unusually good. In contrast, ward/guard/vind is comparatively weak in this situation.

Support is almost certainly the best unless you get no energy problems at all and use no CC which isn't likely on a build such as this. Stat wise you are right as well, I'm currently going con primary with str and either end or rec seconday if I feel the need, it's not like the energy would hurt to have. I'm not using any specs though.

My main power I'm building around is bullet beatdown. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Okay. You deleted the wrong part of the quote tho u3u

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but I'm to lazy to fix my posts sometimes.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Support is almost certainly the best unless you get no energy problems at all and use no CC which isn't likely on a build such as this. Stat wise you are right as well, I'm currently going con primary with str and either end or rec seconday if I feel the need, it's not like the energy would hurt to have. I'm not using any specs though.

My main power I'm building around is bullet beatdown. :D

My Gimp is support. Uses Ego Sleep even, makes things a lot easier on himself.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

1. Deadman, those 2 characters are already 40. They did it with no gear, legacy devices, vehicles ,if you want I can get their mission total.

2.look people trying to make it easier.
    How about a modification;
    choose your stats and spec trees as if you WERE going to use gear. They try it.
    see how your normal builds rely on your gear, especially CD or in my case cost discount,
    I'll stick to using normal stats and unless its a support build, it won't be in support. and the only ones in hybrid I have are AT's or ones restricted by passives. which we don't have

easy AT- mind, without the passive and form, will still do well on energy management
    Golden Gimp on @Kittykaboomboom is Range DPS and EGO.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    soulforger wrote: »
    My Gimp is support. Uses Ego Sleep even, makes things a lot easier on himself.

My one uses ego sleep too. :D
    2.look people trying to make it easier.
    How about a modification;
    choose your stats and spec trees as if you WERE going to use gear. They try it.
    see how your normal builds rely on your gear, especially CD or in my case cost discount,
    I'll stick to using normal stats and unless its a support build, it won't be in support. and the only ones in hybrid I have are AT's or ones restricted by passives. which we don't have

I think it's more fun to just not pick spec tree's and only using super stats without the extra stuff. Oh and no advantages.

Oh also if we can get atleast 5 of us in the SG it will be cool to start running 5 man content such as lairs and the alerts as a team of gimped characters. :D
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Busy with *ahem* other stuff but if I did this I'd probably do this powers-first rather than stats-first. Go all out with long range, stealth cheese and CCs. Things like Rico Throw with Evasive Maneuvers and Sleight of Mind, along with low energy CCs like Storm of Arrows and Torrent, powered by MSA.

Of course you'd have to use advantages on the Archery skills, but hey they're Archery skills. They're already gimped in the first place! :O

Will probably need Con because it's Con, Int for MSA and... Ego for knock strength and additive damage maybe. Not sure whether primary Int for Hold strength or primary Ego for cost discount though.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just launched my hero: Knightstick.
    Dual blades, using night sticks.

Theme build, as if playing a tabletop RPG. I won't use specs, talents, or advantages.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    where are you going to get the stealth from. NO passives.

strangely enough, you don't actually need an energy stat. you can get plenty from talents.

lets see force bolts- some KB but ok,,
    wind blast(whatever its called) some kb.
    hurricane. for close mobs. more blow back than KB
    force(the arc in front one) for further away mobs.
    whirlwind to get them close enough to use hurricane on

as for energy, I'll get Overdrive.

thats about all.

I could get a heal but... ack there's none in wind and force.
    spec trees. I think I'll use the stat one. The other 2 are all bonus stuff. If this is a low powered super, it wouldn't have them

send an invite to golden gimp@kittykaboomboom for SG

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I am going without talents, specs, and advantages (I will try not even leveling up the powers).

Even with those strictures, and no gear, I don't think there will be much of a problem.

Healing patches okay?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    where are you going to get the stealth from. NO passives.

strangely enough, you don't actually need an energy stat. you can get plenty from talents.

lets see force bolts- some KB but ok,,
    wind blast(whatever its called) some kb.
    hurricane. for close mobs. more blow back than KB
    force(the arc in front one) for further away mobs.
    whirlwind to get them close enough to use hurricane on

as for energy, I'll get Overdrive.

thats about all.

I could get a heal but... ack there's none in wind and force.
    spec trees. I think I'll use the stat one. The other 2 are all bonus stuff. If this is a low powered super, it wouldn't have them

Well I'm getting stealth from ninja vanish currently. If you are getting advantages then things like EM and others can provide stealth however I'm not getting advantages and to be honest don't really need it with ninja vanish as my TP.

I'm not using talents so I'll need to be getting END or REC as a superstat.

So you've limited yourself to only force and wind?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I am going without talents, specs, and advantages (I will try not even leveling up the powers).

Even with those strictures, and no gear, I don't think there will be much of a problem.

Healing patches okay?

Healing Patches, as in those devices? Rules stat no devices.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well I'm getting stealth from ninja vanish currently. If you are getting advantages then things like EM and others can provide stealth however I'm not getting advantages and to be honest don't really need it with ninja vanish as my TP.

I'm not using talents so I'll need to be getting END or REC as a superstat.

So you've limited yourself to only force and wind?

it's not actually a bad set. ok, energy is a problem hence the talents but I'm not getting the SS to fix it. It should still run... fairly well.
    I can get overdrive to go off, if I shoot a few energy blasts then use hurricane. Otherwise I can't maintain it long enough.

I just got plain flight.
    total character background on the Golden gimp armour.
    "I know our customers, as long as it looks good. Anything actually working is gravy."

EM I 'm not worried about, I do the standard block or die but don't kite.

UP to Purple reign, this is gonna be painful. no heals and basic block. lets guess the deaths.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Alright--no devices it is. Still level 7, having only completed the restaurant mission.

By the way, stealth from travel powers and advantages does not trigger powers that get a bonus on stealth--I think only the passive does that.

• Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A stipulation should probably be made for mission/quest-related devices. Entire missions chains are otherwise uncompletable (in fact I don't know if the tutorial is doable without), which I don't think is the point here.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    A stipulation should probably be made for mission/quest-related devices. Entire missions chains are otherwise uncompletable (in fact I don't know if the tutorial is doable without), which I don't think is the point here.

I would think it's just understood that Mission devices were safe, but I'll be sure to add that in there so there's no confusion. As far as the Tutorial goes, the different starting points end up with differences in experience points, with the right usage ending up with the Tutorial giving out more experience before the players officially start the Westside Arc from a couple of extra missions in the powerhouse not available to those skipping the tutorial. Figured you guys might want the additional experience before starting in Westside, but I suppose the time it takes to run through the Tutorial might not be worth it. I'll go ahead and change that to a bonus objective instead.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    ..best of luck with this. I fear my inner build-guru rejects making substandard builds and I'm well-known for my stance in opposition of masochist gaming...

Might see y'all around as I'm working on tanks lately and I'm not enough of a jerk to take low-level tanks into alerts....

Be interested inthe data and wish those about to suffer the best.

..have.. fun?

It's actually a lot of fun and makes for a much different gaming experience often meaning you to actually have to think in fights instead of what we all know happens in CO usually. It actually gives a similar level of challenge that you get in other MMO's that are made much less forgiving for stupidity. Interrupting a mob from using a powerful attack using ego sleep gives such a good feeling, tricking mobs and using LoS to stop half the mobs attacking you while hitting the ones that come around with melee hits. Or sleeping all the mobs then taking them out one by one...

It actually gives a kind of fun in basic content that I never really found in CO personally other than maybe in 2009. It gives much more of a thrill than how the game is currently which personally makes it worth me spending time doing the PvE content and makes it more rewarding when you beat something after working out how you can get around the problem with what you have.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    results of Purple reign.

1. usual tactics. death

2. shoot and dodge behind wall. He reset after a few dodges. I didn't pull him close enough

3. try old tactics form before dumbing down of mission.
    blast and run up ramp.
    block at top, he stops halfway thinking he can hit you.
    you get extra heal time.
    damage him, he drops green glowie. block.
    repeat, get another green glowie.
    send thanks to the RNG fairy who is feeling generous today(or has morbid curiosity)
    get a third glowie, kill him(and that glowie was a close call)
    don't forget after selling your start gear, tograb a vehicle mod and slotted gear and do the 2 crafting missions
    also the perks mission.
    Level 7 before I hit kodiak.
    Now at 10.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Yep--I can confirm that this is causing me to use some playing skills, instead of hero-building skills.

I think taking a stealth travel power (teleport, burrowing, etc) is a huge advantage here, since it allows some missions to become absolutely trivial.

I remember leveling my main toon way back in the day, and I remember that choosing teleport was full of win.

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Does it count if i make a gimp costume to all my characters?
    Ones that doesn't allready have one...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Golden Gimp
    Costume_kittykaboomboom_GoldenGimp_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_472212273_zpsa9427143.jpg

still waiting for a SG invite for Gimps

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Double XP Weekend ?

Also, with my melee toon, I could not beat Talos until I was level 11.

Ouch. Some of the early bosses are pretty tough on newbies.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I forgot how much easier the game got after On Alert--specs and better gear made a huge difference.

I've grown accustomed to routinely doing missions with bosses 3 levels above my hero. Now, I have to be careful fighting bosses of the same level, and higher level bosses are impossible.

Reasons: Can't mitigate enough damage, even when blocking, and can't do enough damage without gear and passives.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    :biggrin:
    yes I know
    have you noticed how fast your grab any glowies which turn up?
    your days of charge into combat and survive, are out.

learn to snipe, hit and run, hide behind walls.
    You are a low powered super now, not a high powered.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Think I will give up, to be honest. Missions can take a very, very long time. Still only level 18, and that's with double XP.

Enemies scale much faster than heroes that lack passives, gear, talents, specs, and advantages.

• Options
    danlimdanlim Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Morning,

I'd like to try and take up this challenge. The toon's name will be Nostatistix. My handle is @danlimski.

Thanks and have a good'r, Dan.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Would using "Boost Enhancers" be against the rules? Makes the glowies last longer.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    No devices is the rule. Boost enhancers are devices.

Only devices used are mission-specific ones.

By the way, the no advantage-points, no talents, and no specs rules are bonus challenges.

EDIT: I broke down and am now using advantage points, talents, and specs--makes the challenge possible for me past level 20.

I also rediscovered the Eye of the Storm, Bountiful Chi Resurgence, Overdrive combo. Those three powers together get you through a lot of mobs.

• Options
    danlimdanlim Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I created Nostatistix on 21 Dec 2014. He is an ice thrower. As predicted, the tutorial was uneventful. As soon as I finished the tutorial, I entered the Powerhouse, removed Ice Blast, replaced it with Wall of Ice and I complemented it with Shatter.

As soon as I exited the Powerhouse, I sold all of my equipment and devices. I accidentally picked up a double XP boost from Witchcraft. I wasn't thinking, I'll do my best not to make the same mistake again.

Time to see what the next levels await.

Dan.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    danlim wrote: »
    As soon as I exited the Powerhouse, I sold all of my equipment and devices. I accidentally picked up a double XP boost from Witchcraft. I wasn't thinking, I'll do my best not to make the same mistake again..

Witchcraft's Double Experience Weekend Buff is fine.

Edit: but bonus points if you do without...

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Game got super tough around level 18 or so. At level 20, I couldn't beat bosses, so I picked up talents, advantages, and specs.

With that, I can play missions of same level, or even a level or two higher, if I am careful.
    I completed Intranet deployment with specs/adv/talents--tough, but made it.

Level 23 now, doing Queen City Arc.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm running into a slightly different problem. lack of choices.

short of getting things I don't actually need, there isn't much available.
    may have to get something outside wind/force. we'll see at 14. IF I can get the next level then.

Yes I'm getting a lot of res and run practice.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm running into a slightly different problem. lack of choices.

short of getting things I don't actually need, there isn't much available.
    may have to get something outside wind/force. we'll see at 14. IF I can get the next level then.

Yes I'm getting a lot of res and run practice.

I personally have only died 5 times so far all to bosses before I got my heal. Now I've got my heal I've started running things in elite mode to see if I can still complete the content without dieing. Using ninja vanish helps a lot for picking mobs off with ego sleep mind you. :p Expecting it'll get a lot harder around 16+ though.