test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Three simple fixes

notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Suggestions Box
1: Elderitch blast deals less damage than rebuke, which is a healing power...wtf cryptic?!? incresae the damage of elderitch blast to make it less....uselss, it's a really weak blast attack.

2: Make all stacks of plasma burn refresh when you add another stack to the target, becasue as it stands it's nigh impossible for 90% of the player base to use energy sword due to it's high energy cost and the plasam burn not working right due to lacking refreshings

3: P̶l̶a̶i̶n̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶F̶r̶a̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ALL the ulimate powers except UR need a buff, becasue as they stand atm they are rather....peathitc, barely doing any damage what so ever
1.7K energy storm...why so little [fully charged up it's little over 5k]
implosion engine only doing 400 damage a second...wth man?!?
fury of the dragon HA more like fury of the tickel monster, 320 damage a second isn't enough to cut it for an ulimate
Mind link...that needs a everything fixing, including the fact that if you use it with an AD it don't do diddly
Unleashed rage, it stacks with enraged, does a nice amount of damage ina spike, variesd greatly from person to person, but it's the only ulimate power thata ctually feels ulimate in any way.
Planar fracture...200damage a second with a random debuff thrown in...i'm sorry, but why is the damage so tiny to the point of uselssness?
In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    notyuu wrote: »
    1: Elderitch blast deals less damage than rebuke, which is a healing power...wtf cryptic?!? incresae the damage of elderitch blast to make it less....uselss, it's a really weak blast attack.
    That's cause Rebuke has a 0.5 sec longer charge time, and its dps technically is still lower than Eldritch Blast (EB charged: 253 dps; Rebuke charged: 225 dps).

However, most of the basic blasts do need buffed; Rebuke's dps could be upped a bit too.
    2: Make all stacks of plasma burn refresh when you add another stack to the target, becasue as it stands it's nigh impossible for 90% of the player base to use energy sword due to it's high energy cost and the plasam burn not working right due to lacking refreshings
    True, or they could just raise the duration to match that of Bleed currently. Ya dun really have to use Bleed refreshes for Rupture builds atm.
    3: P̶l̶a̶i̶n̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶F̶r̶a̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ALL the ulimate powers except UR need a buff, becasue as they stand atm they are rather....peathitc, barely doing any damage what so ever
    Implosion Engine is alright, but yeah the Ultimates are mostly a dud. Fury of the Dragon needs better scaling w/ Focus (its a joke compared to that for Enrage and UR). Planar Fracture could do a bit more dmg and maybe have another effect- like pulsating area stuns or random temp pet summons or something. Implosion Engine and Mind Link could have their cds reduced a bit. Energy Storm's base dmg could be upped. Or w/e- a number of things could be done, regardless- just more reason to pick any of them.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    That's cause Rebuke has a 0.5 sec longer charge time, and its dps technically is still lower than Eldritch Blast (EB charged: 253 dps; Rebuke charged: 225 dps).

maybe comparing to rebuke was a little stupid, however if i compare it to the direct equivlant, shadow blast, it still falls FAR short in the damage department srsly, rank 1 shadowblast is doing almost as much as rank 3 elderitch blast. elderitch needs a buff...like NOW

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I'd definitely be for a buff to eldritch blast. after all it's the coolest looking blast.

now that's somehting i don't get....why is it that all the cool powers eaither are insainly hard to make work due to their mechinanic not working right or are just plain weak?

• Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think Mind Link should end up being a Click-to-Toggle like the Powered Armor abilities instead of a Maintain and maybe have it reduce resistance to further Ego Damage. Though that second part could probably be an advantage or something. I'd love to have that active and be using other Mentalist abilities at the same time. Ego Powah!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some of these are things I have said, and agree with.
    edited December 2014
    This is just barely scratching at the surface, Sorcery is pretty much gimped to be supportive only... even with Shadow form to go offensive, Darkness does better at damage then sorcery.

Contrast usefulness that needs updating, Aura of Arcane Clarity compared to Aura of Primal Majesty,
    and Circle of Ebon Wrath compared to Circle of Primal Domination... Needs fixing.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Many players do not understand how strong many of the damage-over-time cooldown powers actually are.

Math is not a popular subject in schools even today it seems.

PS - I just did a DPS calculation (damage / activation time & damage / activation time + charge time ) for Rebuke and Eldritch Blast.

Eldritch Blast came out on top by ~13% at full charge, ~10% on tap.

It also costs a teeny tiny bit less energy, so technically its EPDPS* is also better.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    It also costs a teeny tiny bit less energy, so technically its EPD is also better.

It actually isn't, EPD is a bit better on rebuke.

Without gear and such, rebuke does 650 damage on a full charge, costing 50 energy, making EPD 0.0769.
    Eldritch blast does 586 on a full charge, costing 48 energy, making EPD 0.0819
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    It actually isn't, EPD is a bit better on rebuke.

Without gear and such, rebuke does 650 damage on a full charge, costing 50 energy, making EPD 0.0769.
    Eldritch blast does 586 on a full charge, costing 48 energy, making EPD 0.0819

Right, I was thinking EPDPS.

Sorry everyone, I made a minor error in communicating which stat I was thinking about. I was actually talking about the important one, not the one that doesn't matter u3u

End result, OP was still wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I was actually talking about the important one.

E/(D/s) is not a good way to measure the effectiveness of a power, it assumes doubling energy cost is exactly compensated by halving the time, or by doubling damage. That is a really big assumption to make, and one I fully disagree with.

E/D is a nice thing to know, but it has to be weighted against D/s (DPS) depending on energy management options.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You also have to think for a moment, Eldritch Blast has an innate chance to Root its target, although my experience with Rooting abilities has ended with the consensus that Roots are the most form of Crowd Control there is. At most, you stop your target from moving to their destination for a fraction of a second and they can still make ranged attacks against you. Snares are just a simple debuff that aren't released because someone decided to attack whatever it was attached to with his or her Energy Builder.

Crowd Control as a whole is just messed up, but I'm fairly certain they'll use the "Root a Target" as an excuse to say "It's balanced with other powers". The same issue is going on with Power Gauntlet where its secondary functionality is too useless to other players to consider it balanced.

There's so many problems with the game and it seems like they're being ignored in favor of the game being turned into a Lockbox Cash Cow. I've said this before: If more investment were put in toward CO's development as a game, I can guarantee that it would be worth it for PWE/Cryptic.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    E/(D/s) is not a good way to measure the effectiveness of a power, it assumes doubling energy cost is exactly compensated by halving the time, or by doubling damage. That is a really big assumption to make, and one I fully disagree with.

E/D is a nice thing to know, but it has to be weighted against D/s (DPS) depending on energy management options.
    Right, I was thinking EPDPS.

Sorry everyone, I made a minor error in communicating which stat I was thinking about. I was actually talking about the important one, not the one that doesn't matter u3u

End result, OP was still wrong.

if you two want to argue and debate over which power provides better energy per damage then do that in-game, this isn't a thread about which power does more damage per energy, it's a thread about three power related issues that need fixing, including buffing elderitch blast, all the ulimates [sept ur becasue that's working fine] and making plasma burn work propperly.

• Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    if Eldritch blast had a chance to stun instead of root, it would be balanced with other powers.

Don't you mean Ego Blast? o.3.o
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Flow's (endless? repetitive?) campaign to buff basic blasts continues!

Most blasts (ignoring Hard Frost, Death Ray, Mind Opener, RT taps) sit at the 230-270 base dps range.

For comparison:
    - Most combos, which are usually considered 'weak' as well, sit at the 330-375 dps range (sans Laser Sword, Viper's Fangs, and Bullet Ballet w/ adv).
    - TGM + 10% piercing is ~440 dps.
    - Haymaker + 50% knock bonus is ~660 dps (~420 dps w/o bonus).
    - Many other charged melee moves sit at 375-425 dps.
    - Non-blast ranged moves (incl the small cylinder AoEs) are usually in the 300-400 dps range.
    - PBR and TKA sit at ~300 dps (though that ignores their innate crit_severity boosts).
    - LArc (w/o NI) at ~360 dps (~430 dps w/ NI)
    - AR (w/o Mow Em Down) at ~260 dps (Mow Em Down minus 20%, since it prevents R3, ~300 dps).

I'd try to make most of the blasts in the 275-325 base dps range at least (as it stands currently), so maybe a +17-20% base dmg increase. AR could use a buff as well, as could stuff like Focused Shot, Taze Arrow, Elbow Slam, Eye Beams, most Earth attacks, the chain powers, a few HW powers, etc..

Oh, and on the topic of Eldritch Blast in particular: it does at least always proc Manipulator when its the toggle (even when tapped) and can proc Trapped in Overseer (though I'd just use Hex w/ adv for that).

Yea, pretty much. Devs seem to think that its okay to have powers do, say, 50-100% more dps by doubling or tripling their base cost compared to lower tier powers, but that's ignoring just how much ya can circumvent energy issues by lvl 40 to make much of that moot- and then ur just left w/ a huge dps spread :/

Ofc, if power dps were more balanced, I'd expect their energy costs to be more balanced as well.

edit: Oh, and just for laughs:

UR's Enrage scaling coeff: +55% /stack
    Fury of the Dragon's Focus coeff: +4.2% /stack
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Planar Fracture could do a bit more dmg and maybe have another effect- like pulsating area stuns or random temp pet summons or something.
    Thinking about this a bit more. I'd like to re-affirm making Planar Fracture summon random uncontrolled minions. It suits the Sorcery/Paranormal powersets well, and the power could be customized for what 'type' of spawns you'd get (celestial, demonic, elemental, feral, etc)- like how we can choose diff pet models already.

Would rather do something like that- making the spell more fun to use, than simply tweak its dmg numbers or w/e. Ultimates having effects like Implosions Engine's large AoE pull are what we need to see more of from 'powerful' cds, imo- not just dps boosts.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    if you two want to argue and debate over which power provides better energy per damage then do that in-game, this isn't a thread about which power does more damage per energy, it's a thread about three power related issues that need fixing, including buffing elderitch blast, all the ulimates [sept ur becasue that's working fine] and making plasma burn work propperly.

Eldritch Blast deals better damage than Rebuke. The energy consumption is irrelevant, aiqa was just trying to derail as usual.

A huge issue in this area is actually players and their "one single target, one aoe" view on builds. That's what really minimizes blast usefulness, because players are always looking for that holy grail single target power so they can fill the rest of their bar up with buffs and heals.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well, its not really restrictive to stick in an additional attack power to take adv of something like Setup, Avenger Mastery, or Preemptive Strikes- FFs do have many power slots avail as is. Most FF players would prob rather use Ward/Guardicator, and though Wardicator can be quite good for combos, there's nothing about those specs that really encourages using different attacks w/ each other in various ways, or to proc a spec-related debuff, or w/e.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well if they wanted more than one offensive single target power it'd be Strafing Run or Mental Storm or Fire Snake or something...

I have a soft spot for Rebuke though :3
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Mental storm is hardly an offensive power. even at 4 stacks, alone its minor DoT.

It's more of a supporting power due to the debuff it applies, and the fact it carries challenging strikes makes it useful for tanks.
    It kinda is an offense-oriented power atm though, mostly because its dps is very high for a simple DoT (blame the stacking mechanic), and that its debuff further feeds into its dps (and the debuff is dps-oriented in itself)

The other TP DoTs def dun have that same quality to em. Like, SoD w/ CripC is great for -dmg%, but the dps that it and Mental Leech add are not that impressive.

In that respect, I do think SoD and ML are a bit more interesting than MS, but I would also not want to deprive TP of a good dps-oriented DoT either.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ALL the ulimate powers need to get the Freaking BUFFED

Unleashed Rage is an Ultimate Power
    FEELS like an Ultimate Power
    ACTS like an Ultimate Power
    THE ONLY GOOD ULTIMATE POWER

everything else Fails Badly and Epicly! (Except of Implosion Engine, it's really useful AoE, now if only it had lower Cooldown...)

Fury of the Dragon is cool but it doesn't Scale Correctly with Focus, it's Maintain power and has Issues with the Hitbox Cone detection and the Camera! Making it another horrible power
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    so people, think we make enough noise over these issues they might actually take notice?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    so people, think we make enough noise over these issues they might actually take notice?

Nope. Not a chance. Volume of posts does not determine which suggestions they take - quality of suggestions does. Only issue there is that we all think our suggestions are Grade-A beef, while in reality from the other side of the development wall they may in fact be cow feed.
  • Options
    bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Normally? Yes. If a good load of players repeat the same suggestion over and over - except if it's a bad suggestion or beating a dead horse - most game companies comply, but this is Cryptic-PWE, who said they have any logic behind their decisions? After all, PB's nerf...

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    belleraux wrote: »
    Normally? Yes. If a good load of players repeat the same suggestion over and over - except if it's a bad suggestion or beating a dead horse - most game companies comply, but this is Cryptic-PWE, who said they have any logic behind their decisions? After all, PB's nerf...

Plasma Beam did need a nerf though... more specifically the ease of Plasma Shear's application leading to hundreds of stacks from only 4 players. The results we got though? I don't agree with them.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    AR could use a buff as well

I agree about most blast attacks needing a buff, but do be careful what power need to be buffed.
    AR has access to some of the best offense passives in the game, physical damage has some of the best resistance debuffs, and it only has half a self root (mobility is hugely underrated as a balance mechanic).

A well optimized build (or soldier AT) does quite well with AR. On the big event fights with lots of debuffs on Takophanes or level 60 Mega Destroyers I saw players using AR get top scores quite regularly. And in a little smaller fights like Clarence, soldier ATs regularly finish top 3.

Also taking damage stats from descriptions like that can be a bit misleading even for maintain powers.
    Throwing together a quick test build, without much optimizations (or any passive).

I'm going compare AR to LArc since that shows the problems with just believing the descriptions best.
    Doing full maintains with AR gets 1550 dps, LArc+ball lightning (for ions) gets 2100 dps.
    But if you do 260*2100/430=1269, so somewhere there is a pretty big difference between the theoretical and real-life numbers (probably keeping ions up is a big part).
    And for a fully optimized build quarry will do quite a bit better than lightning form, so that brings the dps on the powers even more close. Then add to that the mobility, and needing 1 power in stead of 2, and AR having very very low energy cost (for what it's worth), the far easier and much more in theme option to increase overall dps with a power like SR (due to quarry doing +all damage too, and the mobility with AR), and the much more widely used physical damage resistance debuffs.
    So yes, AR is not the single highest dps maintain power all by itself (like TGM is), but in my opinion it is not really first in line for any buff, if it needs a buff at all. But of course it is debatable many of those things are actually intended. For instance if debuffs would scale with CC strength things would be different, or if SR did sane "damage/invested time".

And to get back on topic a bit, I believe that truly improving balance needs to take all these (and many many more) things into account, which is hugely difficult. Even more so since there are a few (possibly out of set/theme) single powers/mechanics/synergies that can greatly affect performance and that are much more readily available for certain damage types, builds or powersets.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The kind of buff Assault rifle needs is not a base dps buff, but applying the 10% resistance debuff 2gm gets.

Despite the fact that 2gm is bugged and doesn't actually get that 10% debuff. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    soulforger wrote: »
    Despite the fact that 2gm is bugged and doesn't actually get that 10% debuff. :P

That is easily proven false by shooting a training dummy once.
    Your Two-gun Mojo deals 743 (817) Piercing Damage to Regenerating Test Dummy B.

That leads to the training dummy having 817/743-1=0.1=10% resistance.
    The Regenerating Test Dummy has a default damage resistance of 20%, so that -10% damage resistance works perfectly.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That is easily proven false by shooting a training dummy once.
    Your Two-gun Mojo deals 743 (817) Piercing Damage to Regenerating Test Dummy B.

That leads to the training dummy having 817/743-1=0.1=10% resistance.
    The Regenerating Test Dummy has a default damage resistance of 20%, so that -10% damage resistance works perfectly.

Now thats strange for when ever I use 2gm I see its base damage and nothing else.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    soulforger wrote: »
    Now thats strange for when ever I use 2gm I see its base damage and nothing else.

Not all -resistance effects can make resistance go into negative numbers, a DUC can't and neither can TGM, or the INT spec. So if you have a few of those you have more than a -20% resistance effect, which would result in 0% resistance for the dummies. And if you attack any target with 0% resistance you will only see one damage number, no use showing something like 1234 (1234).
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Not all -resistance effects can make resistance go into negative numbers, a DUC can't and neither can TGM, or the INT spec. So if you have a few of those you have more than a -20% resistance effect, which would result in 0% resistance for the dummies. And if you attack any target with 0% resistance you will only see one damage number, no use showing something like 1234 (1234).

I see. Hm...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I agree about most blast attacks needing a buff, but do be careful what power need to be buffed.
    AR has access to some of the best offense passives in the game, physical damage has some of the best resistance debuffs, and it only has half a self root (mobility is hugely underrated as a balance mechanic).
    My thoughts are: Yes and no. Ranged physical doesn't have many means to apply -physical resist - most of that will come from synergies w/ melee. Now, I'd argue that types like Slashing and Crushing have too much avail in that regard when ya consider that those debuffs also are general -physical, but that's also kinda a diff topic..

On the topic of lockdown: yes lockdown and range are both huge factors- as are things like ramp-up and avail debuffs. In this case, I think its def warranted to have TGM and AR closer than now. 100ft is a big adv, but so is no-lockdown and the lack of ramp-up required for TGM.
    A well optimized build (or soldier AT) does quite well with AR. On the big event fights with lots of debuffs on Takophanes or level 60 Mega Destroyers I saw players using AR get top scores quite regularly. And in a little smaller fights like Clarence, soldier ATs regularly finish top 3.
    I think that we both know its mostly due to the light passive dmg DR ATs get, though (and in specific fight's like Clarence's case, how long-range builds will have the best dps uptime). I am still unsure if that DR diff is an intended advantage to ATs or not, but holding down certain powers cause of that interaction doesn't seem right to me.
    Also taking damage stats from descriptions like that can be a bit misleading even for maintain powers.
    For maintains w/ ramp-ups, they were calculated after multiple tests on my base FF toon- I didn't just calculate them based on their tooltips. Figuring out AR's ramp-up formula in particular was actually a bit of a pita compared to the others since it seems (at least for the base maintain) the ramping coeff can change slightly w/ the tick#. Maintain ramps are weird cause some ramp throughout, while others stop ramping after a certain # ticks. The tooltip could never tell ya any of that alone, so I'm not just relying on that info for them.

'base' dps is boiling it down to the absolute basic measurement, so yes ya have to consider other factors for a full-on build, like passives (in this case, Quarry's strength/ubiquity vs. other options), debuffs, costs, etc. However, if, say, debuffs were also better balanced, then potentially confounding factors like that would not have as much an effect.
    So yes, AR is not the single highest dps maintain power all by itself (like TGM is), but in my opinion it is not really first in line for any buff, if it needs a buff at all. But of course it is debatable many of those things are actually intended. For instance if debuffs would scale with CC strength things would be different, or if SR did sane "damage/invested time".
    AR's base dps would be lower than some of the basic blasts if blasts were buffed by the proposed amount I gave- even after factoring Mow Em Down. I think that still warrants a buff of some sort (base, or -resist, or w/e) - just not a large one.

Ofc, I'm not giving an exhaustive review of the powers, nor mean to in this thread. All of that base dps listing was to lend some easy-to-digest support to how much I'd want specifically blasts to be upped by. If I just threw out a number w/o any context then it'd be less credible.

I guess I have to put a mea cupla here: I never said "just balance by base dps", nor do I want to make that my premise when it comes to the topic. If that's how the message came across, then my bad. To me, though, the main problem w/ basic blasts atm can be boiled down to raw dps, so that got my focus here.