test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Black Harlequin event disappointment

oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
No credit given to Support characters. I've mentioned this before in a past thread and a developer came in and corrected me that we aren't ranked purely on DPS, but that support and tanking threat etc. are factored in.

So then why am I not counted as participating in the Black Harlequin event when I join in and shield/heal/debuff/etc to assist?

Edit: Attempted the alert again, this time just doing as much DPS as I could. Not enough to count, since I'm so heavily support focused. I guess this toon just can't do this alert. Lovely
Post edited by oddbirdy on

Comments

• Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited December 2014
    Are you referring to the Alert, or to the open-world Clarence fight? While the ranking only accounts for damage (I think) the position on the rank doesn't matter. We know that isn't a friendly design, so we've been changing old events so there's no benefit to being higher-ranked. Everyone who participates in the fight should get the same rewards, is my understanding.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Are you referring to the Alert, or to the open-world Clarence fight? While the ranking only accounts for damage (I think) the position on the rank doesn't matter. We know that isn't a friendly design, so we've been changing old events so there's no benefit to being higher-ranked. Everyone who participates in the fight should get the same rewards, is my understanding.

So then it's just a conveyance issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

The Alert. I don't appear on the rank at all, and there is no end-of-Alert reward. I haven't been to the open-world fight yet on my support character.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Additionally, if the giant robot toys manage to kill you off right as they die and you aren't in the room for the ending cutscene, you get nothing. If the team does a bug-fix run through this event after it comes down, there's another good one to hit.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited December 2014
    Hey folks, did some digging and we think we may know the issue. We're not sure when we'll be able to get it fixed, though.

Until we do get it resolved, a workaround is to make sure you're damaging all of the giant mecha soldiers. We think the ranking is based on having damaged one of them in particular -- your position on the ranking doesn't matter for rewards, but you have to deal some damage to it to be on the list.

We'll let you know when we've got this fixed, not sure whether that'll happen this holiday season, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hey folks, did some digging and we think we may know the issue. We're not sure when we'll be able to get it fixed, though.

Until we do get it resolved, a workaround is to make sure you're damaging all of the giant mecha soldiers. We think the ranking is based on having damaged one of them in particular -- your position on the ranking doesn't matter for rewards, but you have to deal some damage to it to be on the list.

We'll let you know when we've got this fixed, not sure whether that'll happen this holiday season, though.

Hey, thanks for that update! Maybe if I'm quick with the button-mashing I can score a completion on this Alert with my support guy after all. :biggrin:
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In case it has not been said already...

You only have to defeat ONE of the giant mecha soldiers to win this Alert.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In case it has not been said already...

You only have to defeat ONE of the giant mecha soldiers to win this Alert.
    Which might be the cause of the bug. For that matter, only needing to beat one of them might be a bug.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I think it's intended but no longer necessary. that used to be a stupid hard mission back when it normally had to be soloed due to people not being able to find others who could also get in.

it may have been changed back then.
    Yes, first they added the second giant mecha-soldier because it was too easy for a group, then they changed the requirements to only having to take out one of them when it got too hard to get a group.

I just try to make sure the team concentrates on one mech; most of my toons have AoE attacks they like to use anyway, so I generally wind up damaging both of them no matter what.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I once killed them both. Got some fancy Gear. And some Resources.
    Negascott_win-1-.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's wouldn't really be meaningfully harder to take down two of them than to take down one -- if you can take down the first, the damage output of the second isn't going to be a serious obstacle unless it has a berserk mechanic like F&I.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    and the Grandfather winter gear, STILL doesn't scale with level. It's still fixed to the level you get it at.

If they can't fix it, can they at least change the writing. so it does say increases with your level(or whatever it is)
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    senshibat01senshibat01 Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My year one gear is set at lvl 25 for the Event. I think the Clarance is better now for lower levels to help try and do CC for the Toys around Msr Bear. Harley was nice he Shrink rayed me and did the old school Gageteer traps nicely.

Problem one is Barlows placement for lower levels as you face level 26 + infernal s that are very aggressive.. this complies the abouve posters problem as a support.. whilst we are a PA draw more with the AoE Crit challanges.

Mutations area is swarming with crazy viper and Dragon Banner boys.. We do not like their pew pew pick up line
    after being sent flying towards them.. [grr dont make me turn around and get mad at you silly ] ok ok its fun crazy their the banks great purple gang viper fine.. PSI by the Parks good if you dont back up to the argent parking area to grab a bus to throw..

when Clarance Bubbles you back you can try to block and get sent into aggro for the critters always in the Rift Sealing mission area here. The Damage is very reasonable and much improved for our survival [tnx]

these observations are for toy drive open instances as we are too low with MinniMay Mecha[lvl16 PA] to get the other one.

Gift boxes on ground and building ledges is stable some floating boxes take awhile to interact with inside seams ok for drops as respawn makes it easier for next person in area to have a chance. naturally lower areas for missions seem to spawn less attack toys sometimes only 1 or 2 ..the shin kicking interrupts are fun.. like an annoying little sibling..

I know Caliga expressed some disappointment in zone chat about a fun factor and i see that challenge level is hard to balance for lvl 40 with purple gear. So i usallay bring out some fun lower or new toons for these now and gave up on farming Clarances eyeballs year one. .after we won the hands
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    oddbirdy wrote: »
    No credit given to Support characters. I've mentioned this before in a past thread and a developer came in and corrected me that we aren't ranked purely on DPS, but that support and tanking threat etc. are factored in.

So then why am I not counted as participating in the Black Harlequin event when I join in and shield/heal/debuff/etc to assist?

Edit: Attempted the alert again, this time just doing as much DPS as I could. Not enough to count, since I'm so heavily support focused. I guess this toon just can't do this alert. Lovely

What the devs says happens and what actually happens are two diffrent things. No one pays attention to the scores at all in CO.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014

From my understanding, based also on what happens to my healer in Red Winter, the ranks seem to be calculated as in Damage done - Damage healed, either on you or on your teammates. Therefore the only way to be in the ranks is to deal more damage than you heal, which is highly unfair to healers and other supports.

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yes, first they added the second giant mecha-soldier because it was too easy for a group, then they changed the requirements to only having to take out one of them when it got too hard to get a group.

I just try to make sure the team concentrates on one mech; most of my toons have AoE attacks they like to use anyway, so I generally wind up damaging both of them no matter what.

Which begs the question.. why wasn't more of the game made with group size scaling tech the way comic series and adventure packs were....

Cryptic has all these amazing ideas that they refuse to keep using :|
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Which begs the question.. why wasn't more of the game made with group size scaling tech the way comic series and adventure packs were....

Cryptic has all these amazing ideas that they refuse to keep using :|
    The most likely to be honest answer?

Because all those things were made by different people and in true developer style, they did not document these things and/or make the rest of the team aware of their existence. And if you've ever made a piece of software that you didn't document well, you should understand how difficult it can be to go back to reuse and/or modify something you made several years ago.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Because all those things were made by different people and in true developer style, they did not document these things and/or make the rest of the team aware of their existence. And if you've ever made a piece of software that you didn't document well, you should understand how difficult it can be to go back to reuse and/or modify something you made several years ago.
    It was dealing with poorly-documented software that made me such a believer in commenting the frak out of my work. I can guarantee that when someone had to go maintain the software I crafted at HQ SAC, they knew exactly what each module did and how to track the variables between segments.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited December 2014

At what point are paychecks going to be handed to people who are getting to work sorting this mess out tho?

Yeah sure okay it's a big job. That's why the paycheck is being handed over. Game production isn't all dragging and dropping reskinned enemies into hallways and calling it a day u.u
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At what point are paychecks going to be handed to people who are getting to work sorting this mess out tho?

Yeah sure okay it's a big job. That's why the paycheck is being handed over. Game production isn't all dragging and dropping reskinned enemies into hallways and calling it a day u.u
    You're probably talking at least 3 people spending half a year or more, with no other tasks getting in the way*, to get any kind of decent documentation on a project of this size. I sincerely doubt that PWE is going to spend that amount of money on CO unless they can see a clear profit from doing so (or a massive loss of profit if they don't).

*This includes implementing fixes to obviously broken stuff, though those things will be documented for someone else to fix. Just because you can see that something is obviously broken doesn't mean a stable solution is obvious.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Foxi have you seen most STEAM Greenlight games :D
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You're probably talking at least 3 people spending half a year or more, with no other tasks getting in the way*, to get any kind of decent documentation on a project of this size. I sincerely doubt that PWE is going to spend that amount of money on CO unless they can see a clear profit from doing so (or a massive loss of profit if they don't).

*This includes implementing fixes to obviously broken stuff, though those things will be documented for someone else to fix. Just because you can see that something is obviously broken doesn't mean a stable solution is obvious.

Screw PWE. CN should do it in secret o3o
    nepht wrote: »
    Foxi have you seen most STEAM Greenlight games :D

Have you seen my care cup? I lost it. It might be up a cat's butt u3u
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Have you seen my care cup? I lost it. It might be up a cat's butt u3u

By the looks of it a lot of things are up that cats butt.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So we're comparing Steam green light games to an MMO designed by a few dozen people.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Not happening. PWE is too big of a company, they won't actively lose money in CO that their other games won't cover.

We could all leave Foxi playing the game alone, yet PWE would keep CO up for a long while.

Disclaimer: Foxi is too dangerous to be left alone. Please do not consider applying this example to a real setting

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    belleraux wrote: »
    Not happening. PWE is too big of a company, they won't actively lose money in CO that their other games won't cover.

We could all leave Foxi playing the game alone, yet PWE would keep CO up for a long while.

Disclaimer: Foxi is too dangerous to be left alone. Please do not consider applying this example to a real setting

Like I said, they shouldn't bother getting PWE's permission before doing it. They should just do it.

Also, as far as CO keeping going, did you know there are games on Steam where the entire development staff quit and moved on to other projects, and before they left they patched the game so there's no way whatsoever to spend money on it, and yet the game is still live and available on Steam a year later? Apparently, you can in fact run games on boiling water, and apparently it runs on natural geothermal energy.

Also I wouldn't be the last one here. I only run team content when I log on. Jonsils would be more likely to be the last one here since he does missions.