test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Main Character - Design choices

glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Power Discussion
I've spent the past almost half-a-year trying to understand and learn the basics of this game's system so that I can turn my main character into the best that she can be. Admittedly I'm slightly disappointed in how restrictive it all turned out to be, but I do enjoy the game and still want to achieve this. Unfortunately for me, being versatile in combat or being versatile in skillset are both with massive compromise and I admittedly suck at making restricted choices.

The Character:
Miya is a celestial monk. In her original setting which is based on d&d she's an unarmed fighter who can use an entire divine spell list from healing through removal of debuffs to resurrection and even some damaging spells. It's just how the game works: by choosing monk you get to fight unarmed and do not have to worry about it, as opposed to here... yeah.

The Concept:
I'm definitely intending to go 100hands on her, it's probably the best unarmed attack in the entire game, all things considered. She started off as AOPM and currently running on WoTW which seems to be really hefty amounts of damage as well as giving her 30% dodge above her considerable hp pool and juggernaut to feed off of that. I'm intending to keep her str-con-. It's currently int.

The Design Choices:
The above are a pain to fit into one, effective build. My playstyle is in-the-face, don't want to tiptoe around things if I can help it, and I like to be tough. The main reason for this is that my friend can't afford freeform, but also it's just the way I am after playing squishy in mmo for so long. (Been a healer for over a decade, had enough of being 1hit to trashmobs.)

Current build:
PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:Skysear

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Devastator
Level 6: Physical Conditioning
Level 9: Healthy Mind
Level 12: Boundless Reserves
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 18: Covert Ops Training
Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
Level 1: Radiance
Level 1: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
Level 11: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
Level 17: Dragon Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Inexorable Tides (Instep Crush)
Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 26: Thunderbolt Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 32: Ascension
Level 35: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Strength: Swole (3/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Variation one:

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
Level 6: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
Level 8: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 11: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
Level 17: Inexorable Tides (Instep Crush)
Level 20: Redemption
Level 23: Rebirth
Level 26: Palliate (Rank 2, Absolve)

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)

Variation two:

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
Level 6: Seraphim (Rank 2, Balance)
Level 8: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 11: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
Level 14: Compassion
Level 17: Dragon Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Redemption
Level 23: Rebirth
Level 26: Palliate (Rank 2, Absolve)

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

NOTES: She -is- a seraphim after all, and Sentinel Mastery seems to be nifty when you're not in a raid. I have no idea how it would work against high-end content, probably nohow and I don't want to gimp my main character either.
Pretty much just throwing this train of thought out there, maybe those smarter will come up with a better idea.
Post edited by glortor on

Comments

• glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Additional question to the calc-geniuses: wotw vs aopm GO!
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    glortor wrote: »
    Additional question to the calc-geniuses: wotw vs aopm GO!

Questions like that are not easy to answer, it all depends on what you want.
    Do you want the highest damage out of the rest of you choices go with WoTW (assuming you have enough energy to spam all your attacks), if you want more survivability and still keep relatively good damage, and/or need more energy, AoPM is pretty much without equal.
    And since only you can decide what you want out of your character....
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Last one seems the most functional to me- others have Enrage but few moves to really support it as a toggle (main issue is ur main attack isn't procing Enrage, but is rather energy-heavy). Also, ur 2nd build isn't tech feasible atm due to the tier restriction on 100Hands.

Also, if ur taking Compassion as the toggle w/ Seraphim, then ya want Rec or Pres as an SS. Seraphim is also not really boosting Dragon Kick (which ya need to proc Sentinel Mastery), nor is Dragon Kick giving ya Rush w/o a Focus toggle.

I'd prob just use a variant of the 3rd build- taking FotT (and a Dex-focus) over Compassion, and consider changing the passive. Sentinel Aura already gives ya a passive healing aura as is, and Wither + the Mastery are quite nice in groups, as are the crit-heal boosts when using crit-able heals. A lunge would also help the build to have a cheap MSA trigger, but it may not be as essential to the build as long as ya have Rush and a fitting toggle.

And yeah, just as in the other thread, much of the decision making (like what passive is 'better') mainly comes down to ur goals and what powers ya like or plan on using. That's not really for us to decide.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited December 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Last one seems the most functional to me- others have Enrage but few moves to really support it as a toggle (main issue is ur main attack isn't procing Enrage, but is rather energy-heavy). Also, ur 2nd build isn't tech feasible atm due to the tier restriction on 100Hands.

Also, if ur taking Compassion as the toggle w/ Seraphim, then ya want Rec or Pres as an SS. Seraphim is also not really boosting Dragon Kick (which ya need to proc Sentinel Mastery), nor is Dragon Kick giving ya Rush w/o a Focus toggle.

I'd prob just use a variant of the 3rd build- taking FotT (and a Dex-focus) over Compassion, and consider changing the passive. Sentinel Aura already gives ya a passive healing aura as is, and Wither + the Mastery are quite nice in groups, as are the crit-heal boosts when using crit-able heals. A lunge would also help the build to have a cheap MSA trigger, but it may not be as essential to the build as long as ya have Rush and a fitting toggle.

And yeah, just as in the other thread, much of the decision making (like what passive is 'better') mainly comes down to ur goals and what powers ya like or plan on using. That's not really for us to decide.

I just wanted to see the figures but it seems to be straightforward then. WoTW if I want raw damage, otherwise AOPM. I definitely want to keep the str con solution.

What are your thoughts on the rebirth/revive/etc? I don't see people die a whole lot in situations where a rez actually makes a difference, while rebirth is okayish sometimes but I really only get killed if I get impatient. I'd only use that as a means to be even more aggressive than I already am.

The end of it is that while I love my current build, it's not doing much in helping my team, while I'm probably asking too much to be able to do decent damage, be survivable, and be able to take care of my team?
    edited December 2014
    I just wanted to see the figures but it seems to be straightforward then. WoTW if I want raw damage, otherwise AOPM. I definitely want to keep the str con solution.

What are your thoughts on the rebirth/revive/etc? I don't see people die a whole lot in situations where a rez actually makes a difference, while rebirth is okayish sometimes but I really only get killed if I get impatient. I'd only use that as a means to be even more aggressive than I already am.
    Yeah, here it is pretty much is as straightforward as taking WotW + melee role for pure dmg, or taking AoPM + hybrid role for the versatility.

Rebirth can be good for pugging Rampages (namely F&I, or vs. Gravi w/ a squishier build), if ya can spare the slot for it. Otherwise, I find that its usually not needed, since the 5-min cd recovery packs or servitor serums can always pop ya back up w/o using a power slot (or just recover and run back if the instance doesn't lock-out). Main benefit to Rebirth is that, unlike the devices, its cd is affected by gearing- so it can potentially be used much more often.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How I'd solve this is as follows:
    • Need versatility → AoPM
    • Non-squishy → Str/Con/Int Juggy Wardicator (It's PvP standard for a reason)
    • Form → Enrage
    • How to proc Form → UR, get Haymaker as boss killer
    • Haymaker needs energy → Get MSA
    • How to proc MSA → Get Rising Knee and Conviction
    • Need to take care of team → Get Rebuke and a rez
    • Load the rest of the build up with The Works™ i.e. Ego Surge, MD etc etc

Tada~:

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 12: Body and Mind
    Level 15: Relentless
    Level 18: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 17: Masterful Dodge
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Rising Knee (Flowing Strikes)
    Level 29: Enrage
    Level 32: Divine Renewal (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 38: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)

Swap Ebon Void for Unbreakable and steal points from Divine Renewal and Teleport to get it to R3 for AD rotation variant.

Remember that one of AoPM's strengths is energy management. It can use energy-intensive high DPS rotations like Laser Sword that other passives have trouble sustaining. It also softcaps your additive bonus from Pre on top of Hybrid role's innate healing bonuses so your Rebukes are actually pretty good and you can always switch to Support role to make them even better.

For a kick-oriented variant (Miya is traditionally a kicker iirc) you'd need to drop Enrage since kicks don't usually knock. Swap the following:
    • Str/Con/Int → Int/Con/Dex, Light on Int, heavy on Dex and Con
    • 100 Hands → Iron Cyclone with Vortex. Suction is more important than raw DPS on trash.
    • Unleashed Rage → Dragon Kick. Main AoE after pulling in with Cyclone.
    • Enrage → Form of the Tiger.
    edited December 2014
    Edit: Double post
    edited December 2014
    Its a good rewrite of the build, though I'm not sure making it more Haymaker-focused is what he's going for.
    edited December 2014
    Haymaker really doesn't amount to much with 100h's dps. So there's replacing that too.
    edited December 2014
    Haymaker will likely do more single-target dps due to its 50% knock immune bonus on full charge, but then you'd use it for single-targets and 100Hands for short-range AoE.

If ya just want to focus on 100Hands and not use Haymaker at all.. then, yeah I'd follow the Focus toggle + Dex route- Enrage just isn't as easy to support it w/o becoming rather gimmicky. A focus toggle also adds another reason to use a move like Dragon Kick.
    edited December 2014
    Haymaker will likely do more single-target dps due to its 50% knock immune bonus on full charge, but then you'd use it for single-targets and 100Hands for short-range AoE.

If ya just want to focus on 100Hands and not use Haymaker at all.. then, yeah I'd follow the Focus toggle + Dex route- Enrage just isn't as easy to support it w/o becoming rather gimmicky. A focus toggle also adds another reason to use a move like Dragon Kick.
    Well I definitely want to keep enrage and juggernaut. I detest dex primary for its utter lack of survivability.
    edited December 2014
    Well I definitely want to keep enrage and juggernaut. I detest dex primary for its utter lack of survivability.

Alrighty- well Pounce gives ya a quick MSA trigger and enrage stack- could always alternate that w/ 100Hands I guess. Else, its the usual stuff for Enrage (Aggressor, UR, etc).

Oh, and as low-defense Dex PSS is, Dex Mastery does mean ya can skip Severity gearing for bonus healing in offense slots- so its not completely w/o potential survival boosts. Its dodge options are pretty weak, though.
    edited December 2014
    Alrighty- well Pounce gives ya a quick MSA trigger and enrage stack- could always alternate that w/ 100Hands I guess. Else, its the usual stuff for Enrage (Aggressor, UR, etc).

Oh, and as low-defense Dex PSS is, Dex Mastery does mean ya can skip Severity gearing for bonus healing in offense slots- so its not completely w/o potential survival boosts. Its dodge options are pretty weak, though.

Yes, a friend warned me about that when I was trying to go dex primary on my first LR attempt.
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Rising Knee is a Knock and can also be a debuff I use it on a non KB brawler build I run
    edited December 2014
    Rising Knee is good, but not really for 100Hands since the crushing debuff gets eaten quickly by the first 2 ticks of the maintain for not much of a dps increase (prob not over just taking R3 Rising Knee, and at that point mine as well sub it with a lunge if ya want a gap closer- or pickup demolish's debuff and have a diff MSA/Enrage trigger).
    edited December 2014
    Rising Knee is a Knock and can also be a debuff I use it on a non KB brawler build I run
    RK is excellent for haymaker and demolish if you want to make a boss buster.
    edited December 2014
    Don't use primary Dex, use primary Int for a Dex heavy build o.o

Expertise buffs your HP pool and has bugged scaling with Dex in a good way. Detect Vuln will make your Haymaker slaughter F&I and Elite Lair bosses and Enlightened buffs your heals.
    edited December 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    ^ This. I kinda went this way on another character just a moment ago.
    edited December 2014

Expertise buffs your HP pool and has bugged scaling with Dex in a good way. Detect Vuln will make your Haymaker slaughter F&I and Elite Lair bosses and Enlightened buffs your heals.
    I'd agree w/ using Int PSS and Dex+Con, but apparently he wants to keep Enrage + Juggy- so it'd be a Str PSS build anyways.
    edited December 2014
    That's because he was comparing it to Pri. Dex!

There's other ways to stack Dex and get amazing survivability. Pre/Dex/Con or Ego/Dex/Con with minimal Pre/Ego, FotT and Spirit Reverb for example.
    edited December 2014
    PRES/Int/Con or PRES/Dex/Con have started to rival Int PSS options for being my fave type of SS setups. Not for quite the same reasons, but the heal boosts are nice w/o taking too much of a dps hit (or practically none if ya have a means to roll Vulnerability on bosses).
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Your distaste for DEX is unfounded. DEX primary can get an additional 18% defense bonus from gear so with Warden's 30% that a hefty 48% increase. Use a Justice Fitness with 2 R7 Impacts, and Best Defense/Agg Stance and DEX can easily hit 80%+ damage resistance from Defense alone.

Now DEX primary also buffs Severity and Critical chance which improves your crittable healing like Conviction.

If you want more proof, I have a DEX primary WotW Claws build in just Legion but she can solo Gravitar.
    edited December 2014
    It's less EHP than Swole/Juggy or even Force of Will and Hardened so that already puts Dex below 4th place, i.e. below average for EHP.

That's only relatively speaking ofc. Even the bottom 4 superstats for survivability can still do feats like solo Grav/Andrith with offensive passives.
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, that's overselling a 18% bonus defense from gear a bit, imo (and assuming ya gear for extra Def over maxHP). Dex PSS isn't really the boogeyman here, though- the rest of the build and the gearing tends to decide whether ur really squishy or not anyways. Just that Juggy is really good in the era where nearly every build has Con SS (post-dodge rating nerf).

Every PSS does seem to have some survival options, though- depending on how ya build/pick. Int has Expertise or Enlightened + Con, and + Dex for crit-heal boosts. Ego has Force of Will and crit-heal boosts (plus Ego mastery w/ Con_Dex). Con is Con. Str has Juggy, knock resist, and Swole. Dex has Gear Util, crit-heal boosts, and Dex Mastery. Pres has Force of Will, crit-heal boosts, and good innate bonus heal. Rec has Gear Util, 2nd Wind + cds, Rec Mastery + Con_Dex, and Well-Rounded. And End PSS has a very bad smell to ward people off from choosing it.
    edited December 2014
    It's less EHP than Swole/Juggy or even Force of Will and Hardened so that already puts Dex below 4th place, i.e. below average for EHP.

That's only relatively speaking ofc. Even the bottom 4 superstats for survivability can still do feats like solo Grav/Andrith with offensive passives.
    That extra 18% defense from gearing makes up about half of Force of Will's defense. (Which really means Force of Will is too wimpy IMHO.)

Take EGO vs DEX as PSS. With the same gear we have EGO with 90% damage resistance vs. DEX with 80%. Yet DEX has more crit chance and severity and with a Justice Healing Glove and a Heal mod -- a bonus 60% heal vs. EGO's Justice Precision mod with a crit mod (assumes both have DUC). Plus DEX has 10% extra damage resistance debuff.

So 80% vs. 90% damage resistance means DEX takes 6% more damage than EGO (1.8^-1/1.9^-1), Yet the DEX will heal for 50%+ more than EGO based on heal bonuses alone.

I don't think EHP comes close to telling the whole story.
    edited December 2014
    Well Ego also has Ego Mastery for 300HP but yea it doesn't have the same freedom to pick up two Sentinel mods for healing, although I get a little uncomfortable seeing such a low base crit chance on either build :P
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    One thing: the justice set bonuses add a lot to survivability in a -idcator loop. Deriving the values, the offense bonus adds approximately a Legion's Defense + 1 Impact prism 5 worth of defense to a build, for free. This is enough to pull offense-y and heal-y builds ahead (DEX and PRE) in terms of balanced performance.
    edited December 2014
    I oops'd on the Ego crit, Ego should be better.

But in the scheme of things it does show a nice balance with Dex as adequate on defense for much more offense (if built well). And it does suit martial arts form melee builds very well.
    edited December 2014

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Dragon Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:

OR:

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 17: Inexorable Tides (Instep Crush)
    Level 26: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:

The main difference is utility vs damage, here. Roomsweeper seems to be overlooked. Its combination with Dragon Kick is very potent, but that way it slows down the rate at which I gain Rage stacks because of the knock-away factor. Which is why I added BetterYou on Unbreakable.

Also, instantaneous knockup + root is very useful in places like Andrith.
    edited December 2014
    they both look pretty good. It seems like they have much close-range, short-reach melee AoE. Not that it's necc a bad thing, but I'm wondering if some of that redundancy could be helped. I guess it comes down to whether having larger-reach AoE is important to you or not.
    edited December 2014
    Been wondering if I should get expulse there instead, for example. It does both knock and snare, if I'm not mistaken. What other options are there for aoe knocks? Something with damage possibly?

I tried reverse polarity on E/W but knock-to doesn't seem to proc rage.
    edited December 2014
    Odd that EW doesn't proc Enrage, cause I'd think it would. Still doesn't make it a bad choice, in light of procing MSA and being a near guaranteed 'pull-in' when charged enough. For Might or Enrage I'd prob just stick w/ Vortex Cyclone otherwise. The dps is low, but as Selphea said earlier its more about clumping things up so all of that juicy close-range AoE can hit more targets. Expulse is nice and flashy, but the scattering KB will be counter-productive to even the rest of ur build.

Wide-reach AoE certainly is not essential to any build, though- its more of a QoL thing, ultimately.
    edited December 2014
    What is vortex cyclone under? I checked it under wind but, nope
    edited December 2014
    Sry, I meant Iron Cyclone w/ the Vortex adv- I just call it Vortex Cyclone for shorthand.
    edited December 2014
    Chains don't fit this one, no... I'll go with either of the above, for now. Might look around for something with a ranged knockdown instead of knockback.
    edited December 2014
    Heavily inclined towards Lightning Storm with Stolen Thunder here.
    edited December 2014
    If ya think it'll fit the concept (know ya had sparkstorm before) then go for it if ya want it. Its a costly AoE (and the KD is on the 1st tick), but AoPM should help w/ that.
    edited December 2014
    Aopm and int and capped cost reduction, yes. I'll test. Sparkstorm was another character.

Here's the current idea:

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 17: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 23: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Rank 3, Ghostly Strikes)
    Level 26: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Stolen Thunder)
    Level 29: Unbreakable

Travel Powers:

Specializations:

Question: is Rebuke reliable enough as a self-heal? I'm intending to solo stuff like Andrith and whatever else I haven't found yet. Heard there were a few.

Question2 in relation to the first one: since I'm planning to solo, is aopm or defiance the better choice?
    edited December 2014
    Soloing lairs isn't what I normally do, so hopefully others can help w/ that perspective.

Rebuke is decent, but if ya have high energy then Celestial Conduit taps will fill ur health up quite faster- you'll want the ability to deselect target or target urself to be convenient, though. Other heals that don't also double as damage spells will target you when solo, even w/o deselecting ur current target. That sort of usability may come into play when ur soloing, or may not really matter at all- depending on ur playstyle and setup.

BCR/RR wouldn't be bad w/ MD, and the dmg penalty is counteracted by it not being a cast spell like a regular heal is, but it won't be a burst heal outside of MD uptime.

Bionic Shielding is decent in this situation as well, but w/ the debuff it essentially becomes a short-cd burst heal- and can be tricky to not overheal with at times.

Defiant would make soloing less intense (or at least less cd-reliant), but also knock down ur base dmg quite a good deal. Possibly would depend on whether ur doing this on Normal or Elite (and keeping in mind that farming is prob more efficient on Normal than on Elite, unless ur just going for the challenge of it).
    edited December 2014
    Yeah I'm wondering about the math of the mana and damage reduction of defiant vs all the benefits of aopm, really re: which one is faster, being cautious with aopm or facerolling stuff but killing it slower, with defiance.
    edited December 2014
    DPS between AoPM and Defiance won't be much different as long as both solve your energy issues. Defiance may even be faster in harder content due less blocking and healing needed.