test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Luther Black's previous attempt

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I was going through Champions Online videos that had previously existed on the internet and came across this:

Champions Online: Demonflame

I was following along well until around 0:50 in the video...(Assuming this is lore based and not just added for game purposes)

I heard that VIPER helped out previously.

I have a few questions:

- Why did VIPER help out?

- What did they agree with the heroes?

- Just how bad was the situation before VIPER came along?

- Did any other villain groups offer to help out/help out?

Basically I'd like to know more about the events referred to in that small section of the video.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Its basically one of those hidden lore things in the game if its even hinted.

The take over by Luther Black was so bad that Viper eventually came to the aid of the planet and helped to stop him. Viper usually does that sort of thing in times of planetary crisis.
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was going through Champions Online videos that had previously existed on the internet and came across this:

I was following along well until around 0:50 in the video...(Assuming this is lore based and not just added for game purposes)

I heard that VIPER helped out previously.

I have a few questions:

- Why did VIPER help out?

- What did they agree with the heroes?

- Just how bad was the situation before VIPER came along?

- Did any other villain groups offer to help out/help out?

Basically I'd like to know more about the events referred to in that small section of the video.

Thanks in advance.

Viper did help the heroes specifically the Justice Squadron to defeat Black they were ordered to help by there patron god Nama (father to the serpent lantern and vipera). I don't know if it was a case of it was bad more like a case of Nama was taking no chances that Black might manage to summon the kings and so spoil his own amusement and plans.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes, VIPER's leaders were ordered by Nama to assist the heroes in thwarting DEMON's ritual. They didn't want to become involved, figuring their two enemy factions would just weaken each other; but Nama was adamant.

The Demonflame ritual was an attempt by Luther Black to steal the power of Sharna-Gorak the Destroyer, the entity responsible for the cataclysm that sank Atlantis and altered the shape of the world. Nama feared DEMON was trying to revive Sharna-Gorak, which would have been Very Bad for the whole world, including himself.

If the ritual had been completed, Black would have had the Destroyer's power and been one major step closer to achieving his apotheosis. He was on the verge of succeeding before VIPER attacked and interrupted him, forcing him to flee prematurely. As a result Sharna-Gorak's power left Black's body permanently crippled and corrupted.
    edited December 2014

Sigh. One more divergence from Champions lore. The leader of DEMON kept his identity a closely-guarded secret, to keep his enemies from finding him or discerning his ultimate plan. No one had even heard the name "Luther Black" in decades. The rank-and-file of DEMON were unaware that an ultimate leader existed, aside from vague rumors. Even DEMON's Inner Circle knew him only as "the Edomite," and never saw him.

But then, Cryptic also changed the conclusion of the plan Black had been following for fifty years. I really need to work on just rolling with these. :rolleyes:
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Villains are like anime characters with an attitude problem.

"I'm not saving the world because I like it or anything, you jerks! I'm just saving it because this harlot would destroy it before I get a chance if I don't!"
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
    edited December 2014
    Well, in the case of the Demonflame VIPER intervention, Nama was just doing what he does best, look out for Number One. Nama has the gift of prophecy, and foresaw the rise in the Twentieth Century of beings with the power to threaten him. He actually created VIPER to protect himself from those beings. As long as VIPER remains strong and comes to his call, he cares little what else it does. Nama doesn't lead VIPER, and the group's true leaders are every bit the greedy, ruthless, power-hungry villains you'd expect them to be.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I see...thank you very much for the responses!

I'm guessing no other villain groups helped out in a large way like VIPER did?
    edited December 2014
    Not as the books have so far revealed. But some such detail might be added in an official source in future. And if a player wanted to use such an intervention as part of his or her character's background, I can't see anyone objecting. I mean, when a ten-thousand-foot hellish tower rises over downtown Boston, and a gate to the Netherworld opens in the sky to unleash a horde of demons, a lot of people are going to notice and be concerned. :wink:
    edited December 2014
    vorshoth wrote: »
    Villains are like anime characters with an attitude problem.

"I'm not saving the world because I like it or anything, you jerks! I'm just saving it because this harlot would destroy it before I get a chance if I don't!"

Not necessarily "destroy," but at least preventing them from robbing/conquering/otherwise exploiting the world. Villains uniting with heroes against a greater mutual threat -- alien invasions, world- or universe-obliterators, etc. -- is a common comic-book trope. A number of Champions villains have been known to do this, like Sunburst, Dr. Yin Wu, even Dr. Destroyer. ("This world is MINE!")
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Not necessarily "destroy," but at least preventing them from robbing/conquering/otherwise exploiting the world. Villains uniting with heroes against a greater mutual threat -- alien invasions, world- or universe-obliterators, etc. -- is a common comic-book trope. A number of Champions villains have been known to do this, like Sunburst, Dr. Yin Wu, even Dr. Destroyer. ("This world is MINE!")
    You can't rule the world, after all, if there's no world left to rule.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!