test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help on Fire Mage build

leewillleewill Posts: 8 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Builds and Roles
This is my current fire build, and it is my highest DPS character. He does a LOT of damage and I'm relatively happy with the build. However, I'm wondering if you can look at it and see if there's a way I can get more damage and/or survivability out of this build. I know...I absolutely hate having to use END as a superstat, but the energy unlock scales with it, and it's the only way to get good power return on this build. Here it is, let me know if you have any input.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Dr. Bedlam

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Scourge
Level 6: Quick Recovery
Level 9: Wordly
Level 12: Boundless Reserves
Level 15: Ascetic
Level 18: Amazing Stamina
Level 21: Daredevil

Powers:
Level 1: Throw Fire
Level 1: Fireball (Rank 2, Unstable Accelerant)
Level 6: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Concentration
Level 11: Thermal Reverberation
Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 23: Flashfire (Rank 2)
Level 26: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 32: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Fire Snake (Rank 2)
Level 38: Palliate (Absolve)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2)
Level 35: Bat Flight

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (1/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by leewill on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can trade R3 Unbreakable for R1 Masterful Dodge- will fill the same basic function as a defensive cd, but saves ya 4 adv points to get trail blazer on firesnake or other things.

May also be more beneficial to get Offensive Mastery over Modified Gear for higher Ego Surge uptime, and taking Insight over Aggression, just cause offense only from gear tends to not be that much, and the cost discount is quite good for Fire/Conflag being energy-heavy.

Can't really suggest more than small tweaks at this point, since most of the build looks solid for a Fire dps.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • leewillleewill Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Can trade R3 Unbreakable for R1 Masterful Dodge- will fill the same basic function as a defensive cd, but saves ya 4 adv points to get trail blazer on firesnake or other things.

May also be more beneficial to get Offensive Mastery over Modified Gear for higher Ego Surge uptime, and taking Insight over Aggression, just cause offense only from gear tends to not be that much, and the cost discount is quite good for Fire/Conflag being energy-heavy.

Can't really suggest more than small tweaks at this point, since most of the build looks solid for a Fire dps.

I think that's a good idea. I don't usually use masterful dodge on non-dodge builds, but it will be almost as good as R3 Unbreakable. That frees up 4 adv points which I think will go to R2 ego surge and trail blazer on fire snake. I also might try the offensive mastery, since the cooldown time on this build is terrible. Thanks for your help!
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    For theme I would recommend taking Pyromancer's Blades from Arcane sorcery (I think). Not only does it fit your theme perfectly (a flame mage would be a pyromancer), and it does a decent amount of damage, although likely less than firesnake if I recall correctly.
    Moves less eratically than fire snake though and lasts longer I think, which may be a plus, I dunno.

I'd experiment with Stormbringer instead of fire form: you've got some powers that apply Chill I think and Stormbringer unless I'm totally mixed up has a more hybrid general effect to all the elemental power types. Be interesting to see if it improves your damage any.

Beyond that I feel you're fine.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Stormbringer boosts cold, crushing, and electric.

Fire Form / Ice Form /Pestilence all boost fire/ice/toxic.

Why did they lump toxic in with fire and ice? I'm sure they had a reason and I don't know what that reason was.

Going Stormbringer would give you more resists (crushing is very common!) ... but would not boost fire damage.