test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are superhero mmo's a niche market?(Massively discussion)

gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I read this article about The Daily Grind: Are superhero MMOs doomed to be niche?

I think it is an interesting topic :biggrin:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Really not worth reading. Just poses a question with no real discussion of the topic. I guess she had a quota of postings she needed to fill.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It is an interesting topic... okay I admit it's only interesting to me because I'm totally biased because I think super heroes are neat-o keen.

I'll also be honest about something else: I just don't get why. The second I saw Champions Online that day so many years ago in Steam's "F2P" listings, my face did this "O3O" and I just couldn't install it fast enough.

Then again, there is one thing I would understand: why a Romantic Comedy MMO would fail. I mean hey, romantic comedies are popular right? But I don't think if you announced the creation of a Romantic Comedy MMO that you could really expect to be in business more than however long it takes for you to run out of money with no income. Would I be up for a romantic comedy MMO? I'll be honest, I'm giggling about the thought of it, and I would totally want to check it out... but I don't think many others would.

It might actually have less to do with movies, and more to do with board games. Mainly one board game... Dungeons and Dragons (yes, I called it a board game... feel free to magic missile me to death). Fantasy MMOs were basically just computerized versions of a board game, and that board game was practically made to be turned into a video game. Now yes, there have been super hero table-top RPGs, but if you go up to an average person on the street and say "Name a game that nerds play with dice in their basement", they're not going to say Abberant.. or some other super hero table-top RPG... I can't think of one... (feel free to beat me to death with your d6's :3).

So okay, wtf does that have to do with mmos now right? I mean that all happened over five decades ago (feel free to beat me to death with your facts). Well again, if I go up to someone on the street and say "List off three MMOs", they're likely to, on average, list off three fantasy MMOs. If I mention that there are other types, they'll probably be surprised.. and then they'll probably excuse themselves and walk away before I can keep talking.

That might have something to do with why Superhero MMOs have trouble getting players. I mean it also might not, but it might. It might also be that people are too intimidated to try one... I mean look at these superhero movies, and the super difficult things the heroes in them have to do. You might get the impression that a game based on that stuff would actually be really really difficult. On the other hand, fantasy films feature wave after wave of giant battles where hundreds of combatants go toe to toe... even the wimpy hobbits get to join in! I mean that just screams accessibility - that game is gonna be the kind where you can depend on all the other people in your army and you won't have much personal responsibility or skill demand (feel free to beat me with your DKP).

Or maybe it's something else... maybe it's that fantasy always screams "beautiful women!", and for the most part super hero movies have been screaming "sausage fest..." (feel free to beat me with your...drawing a blank here... need a reference from a super hero movie with a female lead that wasn't terrible). That would drive away both the male and female gamers wouldn't it?

Well those are all just theories. The one thing that does seem to be clear is that for some reason for someone to be drawn to a super hero MMO they have to already be a fairly interested fan of the super hero genre. Fantasy MMOs on the other hand will pull in people who aren't big on fantasy, and in many cases won't even convert them to a fan of the genre after several years of play. What is it about elves and goblins that's so great anyway? Heck I saw an elf running around in ren-cen just a few minutes ago, so we have that too anyway...
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Then again, there is one thing I would understand: why a Romantic Comedy MMO would fail. I mean hey, romantic comedies are popular right? But I don't think if you announced the creation of a Romantic Comedy MMO that you could really expect to be in business more than however long it takes for you to run out of money with no income. Would I be up for a romantic comedy MMO? I'll be honest, I'm giggling about the thought of it, and I would totally want to check it out... but I don't think many others would.

Dating sims / virtual significant others are popular in some places, so it might actually work.

Personally think this is just a way of excusing games that really just aren't great. "Oh, it's a super hero game, so it's niche." I doubt anyone gives a crap if the game has a super hero theme as long as the game is fun to play, has an appealing story, has lots of fun stuff to do, has a strong community, and developers show they care about it. If anything, not being a typical fantasy game could be an asset to be played upon. I know I'm sick of the classic fantasy setting.

No, Super Hero MMOs are not doomed to be niche, but they might be doomed to be sub-par and made excuses for.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No
    ||||||||
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Two and a half paragraphs count as articles nowadays?

To answer the question: The most popular mainstream MMO genre with the widest demographic of players have always seemed to be the Tolkien-inspired fantasy-related ones, or hybrids of those mixed with steampunk / sci-fi elements. I guess players who want to seek an alternative that breaks away from that mainstream, like a superhero-themed MMO, can be considered a niche market.
  • superstar78superstar78 Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sterga wrote: »

No, Super Hero MMOs are not doomed to be niche, but they might be doomed to be sub-par and made excuses for.

This. A million times, this. Niche is a word used by those who want to make excuses for mediocrity.

Quality and a solid product are always in demand. Don't believe me? It really wasn't that long ago that fantasy (sword and sorcery), even in video games, was considered niche.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I said it on that page:

3 reason why yes.

1: We've never gotten a push, companies are scared to pull the trigger. And in the case of CoX they canceled while it was turning a profit because they had to trim something. We don't get advertisement.

2: A fractured community. Some vocal CoX members are attacking CO in favor of possible vaporware, when we can all absolutely live in the same space. For our part, some of us CO people are pretty outright convinced that the Phoenix Project will launch about the same time CO2 does, and we're not scared about mentioning it. You've got like 10 different companies trying to fight over the scraps of a canceled mmo.

3: The big names are all tied to some rather bad or boring games. Diablo Heroes 2015 feels 10 years old already. DCUO is a console game pretending to work on PC, where you can totally be the sidekick you always wanted. The *biggest* blow to super hero gaming in the last 15 years was this game losing the marvel license. Can you imagine how much different the gaming landscape would be if cryptic had Marvel Online (CO with dev support), STO, AND Neverwinter?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's an interesting topic. You guys raise great points. I'm just going to do this "By The Numbers", sales numbers, having worked on the launches of several AAA titles in my region. I found this info useful for my own work, so I share it with you.

Disclaimer - stats are always manipulated, but within the +/-, and provides a better reference point than opinions.

There's roughly only 100 million Hardcore gamers in the world

This is an estimate used by the industry, used as a ref point for sales forecasts. We're Hardcore, our key hobby is gaming. Most ppl are Casuals; they bought their consoles for BluRay and Football games, but they don't play as much as us.

There's roughly only 20 million MMO players in the world

This is the scary number. MMO players only account for 20% of the Hardcore gamers. We think we're more, but only because we are in MMOs and surrounded by other MMO players. A sampling bias. WoW itself accounts for 10 mil of this.

Any single Call of Duty, GTA, Minecraft, even Xbox Kinect Adventures title outnumber all MMOs

Any time a title comes out from these famous (not saying good or bad, just popular) franchises, they sell more MORE than 20 mil copies. Not the whole franchise, just any 1 game, outnumbers all MMO players put together.

My realisation

If you were to call something a niche, even MMOs in general can be considered a niche market considering how we're outdone by even Kinect Adventures. Continue discussing, but realise we're a speck on a drop in the bucket.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
    edited November 2014
    My mom plays Rift. LOL if you think she's hardcore. I highly doubt she's the only super casual gamer that plays MMOs.

When you look at the games that sell a f-ton of copies they tend to have things that many MMOs do not. Even WoW has the backing of Blizzard, who made their name with quality games. I'm pretty sure SOE devotes far more resources and love to their flagship games than anything else, including DCUO. CoD is known for being a fun, multiplayer FPS. It revolves around the gameplay not the story.

Minecraft is unique in that it's a sandbox that people want but don't have a lot of choices over. That's also why you're seeing Terraria pop onto every platform ever and still being developed for. GTA also falls into the sandbox area. Minecraft and GTA are also always streamed by Smosh, one of the most popular channels on all of YouTube. Every week those videos pull a million views.

Most of the MMOs out now can't even compare to the quality of games like WoW or EverQuest let alone something like Minecraft or GTA.

Stuff like Kinetic Adventures probably appeals to the casual gamer that just wants to have some fun, but may not have the time commitment / interest for core games. These are probably also the same people that don't consider themselves gamers.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Compared to most gamers around these parts I'm an old man (45 yo). So when I started gaming tabletops were about it. Computerized or online rpg's weren't even a real possibility yet. I did my best to avoid DnD type games.

The games I played were stuff like Gamma World, PSI-World, Shadowrun,The old Marvel Super Hero (TSR) gmae, and Champions. That was back in 1986 - and even then those games were considered niche.

The game that was most popular was Dungeons and Dragons.. it was the go to game for the nerd crowd. So factor in that a few of those old DnD players grew up and founded gaming companies. Of course they patterned the games they produced along the same lines.

So in my opinion Super Hero games have been niche since people have been playing rpgs. They will also probably stay niche.. for some time to come.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They are a niche, obviously, but right now CO has the advantage (for now) of being the only real choice for serious MMO players looking forward to get into the genre.

I'd say Cryptic needs to take a better use of that advantage while it's still there.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    What makes CO subpar is the lack of content and the silly amount of bugs.

Lack of DR content is a big plus so not all lack of content is bad.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think this depends somewhat on how you define the limits of 'superhero'; there are an awful lot of video game protagonists who have superhuman abilities.

There's no question that superheroes have historically been niche in RPGs, MMOs, and video games, but fads change, and it's not obvious that superheroes are forced to be a niche, they're currently big in cinema and plenty of developers are willing to give it the occasional additional try. However, they are certainly currently a niche.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think this depends somewhat on how you define the limits of 'superhero'...
    Powers that clearly violate known laws of physics, set in a universe similar to our own as opposed to a medieval-fantasy or urban-fantasy setting, with a prevalence of funny costumes and code names.

Merely allowing greater-than-normal abilities to define "superhero" leaves us potentially calling WoW a superhero game, or Shadowrun. Both have characters with powers beyond those of the man on the street, but in neither case would any reasonable person regard, say, a Paladin of the Light or a half-orc netrunner as a "superhero".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Powers that clearly violate known laws of physics, set in a universe similar to our own as opposed to a medieval-fantasy or urban-fantasy setting, with a prevalence of funny costumes and code names.

Merely allowing greater-than-normal abilities to define "superhero" leaves us potentially calling WoW a superhero game, or Shadowrun. Both have characters with powers beyond those of the man on the street, but in neither case would any reasonable person regard, say, a Paladin of the Light or a half-orc netrunner as a "superhero".

i think that aesthetics are important in determining a genre entertainment as well, avergers would not be considered a "martial arts" film despite both black widow and cap using conventional martial arts tactics. as much as i dislike spandex, it is a frequent visual cue for the genre, similarly one thing about the general superhero theme, though by no means applying to every superheroic theme, is the lack of a single specific unified "power" source. co apparently breaks this that somehow magic powers the tech and ultrascience, but one thing that has always drawn me to genre is how the antagonists can come from multiple possible origins, , paramilitary, magical, extra-dimensional, alien, robotic, exaggerated eastern martial arts, it all works without anyone complaining something doesn't belong.

now all that said, sadly it seems to be niche for the same reason a lot of things in gaming are currently niche, nobody has made it popular yet, and risk averse publishers wont bet on an unproven idea with the massively ballooning budgets.. I strongly believe that if midway had not died and "hero" had come out with a proper budget, it would have done a lot of good. the infamous series and saints row IV both made games with elements of super heroic powers, but the themes were more gritty sci fi and comic mayhem. but i think the gaming market these days is more and more dependent on the publishers to tell them what to play, AAA games come with a dedicated fanbase less based on real quality and more on the perceived quality they must have based on their budgets. and just there being a big budget superhero game would have built a demand. I often say, the majority of the millions that watched avengers likely never seriously cared about any of those characters, but a sufficient budget and easy to follow plat drew people in and made fans of them.

as it stands i wonder if even the mmo market is now "nicher" these days, wow was an anomaly that caused a lot of publishers to behave irresponsibly and close down respectable mmos that had respectable fanbase sizes. and worse, companies took the cheap route and instituted the bare-bones content delivery of free to play games to try and grab the table scraps. they just aren't the same anymore, and i really cant see that any big anticipated mmos are even currently being discussed...maybe ever-quest next but that has even cooled in the presses. so yeah, it all is niche these days, outside of one outlier that has long ago stagnated.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Isn't Blizzard's new shooter based on a superhero concept?
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    selphea wrote: »

My suspicions is that the defunct Project Titan was going to be a superhero MMO, and its cancellation made me very depressed after seeing the salvaged game assets. :frown::frown::frown:
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Superhero-ish; it's still mostly guns.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I thought the tanky talking monkey with glasses (why is there always one of these in a superhero setting?) was a melee person.

Although I guess the takeaway from Overwatch is that the Superhero part of Superhero MMOs isn't the niche part. What's niche is MMOs themselves, which cost a lot of money to develop and are much higher risk compared to Angry Birds/Flappy Bird/Candy Crush Saga :x
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I didn't see anything superhero-like about Overwatch. Looks a lot more like an anime shooter to me.
    biffsig.jpg
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think super-hero MMOs would have to take a step UP in popularity to reach "niche". It's currently at "relatively almost non-existent".
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited December 2014
    Superhero MMOs, a niche within a niche, inside of a rapidly growing whale. As the whale gets bigger, we only look smaller and less worth investing into - things are going to get worse before they get better.
    edited December 2014
    While I was watching Total Biscuit's sale box, he mentioned Saints Row IV and said you play as a superhero. That game is pretty damn popular and is seen as a superhero game. How can superhero games be niche if people clearly like playing games where you are a super? I'm sure there are plenty of other games where you are essentially a superhero that many people enjoy and no one would call niche.

So what's wrong with superhero MMOs?
    edited December 2014
    While I was watching Total Biscuit's sale box, he mentioned Saints Row IV and said you play as a superhero. That game is pretty damn popular and is seen as a superhero game. How can superhero games be niche if people clearly like playing games where you are a super? I'm sure there are plenty of other games where you are essentially a superhero that many people enjoy and no one would call niche.

I guess the problem only starts when you ask people to play super heroes in a persistent online world with other players.. Maybe people instinctively perceive the flaw about a game like that being based in a genre that revolves around power fantasies where the player is "the strongest".
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I guess the problem only starts when you ask people to play super heroes in a persistent online world with other players.. Maybe people instinctively perceive the flaw about a game like that being based in a genre that revolves around power fantasies where the player is "the strongest".

While it is prevalent the concept of the overpower hero. I like a bit better the anime version of the underdog who tries hard and never give up. When you see Batman in the context of the Justice League I empathize with him better since he is the one always at disadvantage.
    edited December 2014
    gandales wrote: »
    While it is prevalent the concept of the overpower hero. I like a bit better the anime version of the underdog who tries hard and never give up. When you see Batman in the context of the Justice League I empathize with him better since he is the one always at disadvantage.

And yet he always wins when fighting anybody.
    edited December 2014
    And yet he always wins when fighting anybody.
    that is kind of the thing, batman is really the most absurd member of the dc setup, at elast the others have reasons for being overpowered, batman just has stupidly contrived plot armor.
    edited December 2014

sorta kinda, now i loved sr4 despite the fact that you are playing an amoral sociopath who causes absurd amounts of collateral damage, but thats one game, and really its a branch off of a series that was originally a gta ripoff. there are a few "superpower" games, sr4, prototype, and infamous, but i dont know if they fit what i want from a superhero game. most feature a linear progression of powers, there is no making an "ice controller" or a fire melee specialist, in sr you get all the abilities that you collect the nodes for, and almost everyone's character winds up having the same loadout, minus prioritization of the weapons you upgraded.

infamous had some more variety and you can decide to be an **** or a hero, but its a fixed protagonist, so you dont get the "make your own hero" thing that coh and co had. and both cole and whatever his name was were confined to a small pool of concepts, cole is a lightning only character and later elarend fire and ice stuff, and whats his name starts with smoke and then gets some weird powers, but lacks the iconic powers of coh and co. and prototype pretty much is a game that makes you a movie monster and you are stuck with a fixed protagonist. so i dunno, there are small flckerings of superhero games here and there, but from a publishers eye view, still no dice. and worse, the one good hope for us getting an offline game with customization and varied load-outs, project awakened, was utterly failed by the gamer community. so yeah that's the view form the ground,
    edited December 2014

Saint's Row's popularity has little to do with it being perceived as a superhero game. It has more to do with its open-world over-the-top gameplay and the kind of environmental mayhem you can wreak in it that's similar to games like GTA.
    edited December 2014
    People play Saints Row IV because it's fun as hell. Bonus that it's essentially being a super. I'm pretty sure if CO was fun as hell instead of average, a lot more people would be playing it instead of say "oh, it's niche, so not that many people are gonna play."
    edited December 2014
    People play Saints Row IV because it's fun as hell. Bonus that it's essentially being a super. I'm pretty sure if CO was fun as hell instead of average, a lot more people would be playing it instead of say "oh, it's niche, so not that many people are gonna play."

Saints Row belongs to a certain genre with relevant gameplay mechanics that CO does not. The genre has been arguably made extremely popular by GTA. There's also the fact that the Saint's Row franchise has been built over the years across four games and expectedly has much more exposure and has built a bigger playerbase than CO has. There's also a preference difference between a single player action adventure style game and a MMORPG.

There are more factors involved as to why it "works" for Saints Row than just "it's fun as hell" and with people thinking that it's a superhero game (something I highly disagree with). Even the "fun as hell" factor is subjective according to people's preferences.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Saints Row IV is The Matrix on molly. If it gives off a superhero vibe, it's only because the costume creator includes some capes and spandex (including a DLC pack), among more gonzo options.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited December 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »
    that is kind of the thing, batman is really the most absurd member of the dc setup, at elast the others have reasons for being overpowered, batman just has stupidly contrived plot armor.
    Batman has the greatest power of all - the power of unlimited cash on hand.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't think there's any problem with the popularity of superheros, it's more with the quality of superhero MMOs.

CoH was absolutely massive for about a year, it had a huge population. It lost its major population from the double whammy of WoW and ED.

CO itself had a huge uptake for the first few months.

So it's not that there isn't the interest out there, it's more that the interest is fragile somehow, and is maybe looking for a higher quality game than has really been offered so far (except possibly CoH initially).

Fundamentally, the problem is that all the big ones, like CoH and CO (and even DUO) have gotten a lot of it right - mainly the combat, all three have had combat systems that have been engaging and suitably flashy in their own way - but they haven't produced games that have enough depth to sustain interest past taking a few heroes to cap.

The games as they are attract and keep real superhero fans who have a dozen superhero ideas before breakfast. But I think most people maybe have one or two ideas in mind, and they'd rather pursue a game that lets them take their cherished character into some deep, long-lasting endgame gameplay.

That's really where all the superhero MMOs have fallen down - in simply not being big enough or good enough endgame-wise.

And re. the "big enough", sadly this may actually be an inherent flaw in the genre on account of the psychological effect of travel powers on perceived zone/map size. In most MMOs, you can make paltry little areas that seem big because you're perforce walking for about a third of the game, and don't get a mount till then, and even then it's only slightly faster than walking. CoH's own Atlas Park was a tiny zone compared to the rest of the zones in the game, but it seemed big when you first played CoH because you were basically walking/running. But as soon as you got your travel powers, the size of the game world started to shrink psychologically, and even very large zones like the Hollows, Steel Canyon, etc., felt psychologically small.

I recall a controversy re. this game, when someone was moaning about Millennium City being a tiny zone, and someone else pointed out that it takes the same time to walk across as it takes to walk across one of WoW's main landmasses.

IOW, part of the problem may be that a superhero game needs such a vast amount of assets like this, such huge zones for the basic game, that part of the problem is the developers can barely do that, they have little time left to get into endgame stuff before they have to shove the game out.

I think this may be partly why the genre hasn't been so popular - not with players (as I say for players the desire for good superhero MMOs is proven by the large initial uptake of CoH, CO and DCUO), but with developers. IOW, perhaps most developers feel it's a mug's game to make a superhero MMO, because it's effectively making the workload much higher than it would be with an "ordinary" fantasy game.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Batman is powerful for more complicated reasons than that though.

He HAS to be smart about how he does things, he has had a LOT of grueling training, he's a genius planner, AND like mentioned has a lot of money, contacts, and resources.

If he got the jump on superman, unlikely but there's concievable situations where he could, he could take the man of steel out.

Batman is a more nuanced hero, don't insult or underestimate how dangerous and competent someone without superpowers can actually be.

Batman's powers are time control;

he runs a business empire. - a full time job
    he trains for hours a day in physical fitness
    he makes his own gadgets.

and he find s time for a social life.
    oh and eating and sleeping.

he uses all 48hrs in a day.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Problem with super mmos is theres tons of offline alternatives like the godlike Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Spiderman 2, Saints Row 4, the Arkham games , Lego Marvel etc etc.
    Champions main selling point is make your own hero but the thing is Saints Row and Lego Marvel do the whole make your own hero thing no internets needed and are troll free.

I like CO and will play it till it sunsets but why would someone play a mmo to play make a hero thats sorta like Batman or the Hulk when they could just buy a Batman or Hulk game.

CO and DCUO havent really taken off because normal offline super hero games have been so good of late.

Might be a good idea for PWI to use the Champs IP to make offline games also. They have pay rolled offline games before.
    Batman is powerful for more complicated reasons than that though.

He HAS to be smart about how he does things, he has had a LOT of grueling training, he's a genius planner, AND like mentioned has a lot of money, contacts, and resources.

If he got the jump on superman, unlikely but there's concievable situations where he could, he could take the man of steel out.

Batman is a more nuanced hero, don't insult or underestimate how dangerous and competent someone without superpowers can actually be.

Look at that video game Injustice. An alternate universe Batman transports half of the JLA to another dimension. Batman has to be the most powerful super in the DCU the stuff he pulls off without powers is insane. Look at the recent Batman and Robin story arc he travels through space to beat up a demi god and then resurects his dead son.

Like a boss.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited December 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Problem with super mmos is theres tons of offline alternatives like the godlike Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Spiderman 2, Saints Row 4, the Arkham games , Lego Marvel etc etc.
    Champions main selling point is make your own hero but the thing is Saints Row and Lego Marvel do the whole make your own hero thing no internets needed and are troll free.

I like CO and will play it till it sunsets but why would someone play a mmo to play make a hero thats sorta like Batman or the Hulk when they could just buy a Batman or Hulk game.

CO and DCUO havent really taken off because normal offline super hero games have been so good of late.

Might be a good idea for PWI to use the Champs IP to make offline games also. They have pay rolled offline games before.
    There are? depends on the criteria i guess, but the problem i have with the specific superhero games in relation to this topic is that several of the games you mentioned are only about one sueprhero. arkham is a good 3d brawler, but thats all it is, you play a character with good martial arts skills and some gadgets, fine and dandy, but not exactly what this thread is about. but if we look at the type of games they were asking for they are the "build and customize" your superhero type games. one reason i was even considering infamous as a tenuous hit, because you were stuck with captain po-face cole and his lightning powers, and later, either fire or ice, depending on your actions. o as such, i'd say we have exactly one game of that type, and its saints row 4, now i love that game and am looking forward to the expansion next month, but its the only one and even it limits your build variety and your character is kind of set as a sociopath. now if we could have a game like that but with some bioware style character choices and a deeper pool of powers, then hell yeah, but beyond that, and without being forced into a specific play style, i just dont see it on the current market.

id say why a person would play a superhero game rather than one of the existing games is if they dont want to play the hulk or batman. i want to play rian frostdrake, and there isnt any game starring him. existing characters are someone else's thing, so if you want champs strength, then playing a game about someone else's hero aint gonna cut it. It was something brought up a lot at the end of coh, people had their own heroes, they didnt want to play some lame hero like superman or the flash, those weren't their heroes, they wanted their creation and their iteration of their powers. Its similar to why i prefer my skyrim hero over talion from shadow of morder, because he is my character. hell,, my character from alpha protocol is closer to my prefered superhero than batman was, he is too much someone else's creation for me.

as for speculation about co and dcou doing poorly because of superior competition, i dunno, it seems more gamers are averse to different ideas, mmo meant everquest and ultima online till it meant wow, and the average gamer who doesn't really follow gaming much wouldnt know to try anything different, they follow the herd and play wow and then, having played what they feel is representative of all mmos, they go on their way.

now as for your final idea baout taking the champions offline, its pretty clear that cryptic is finished caring about champions and has been for years, but if someone would make a offline superhero game(like my much lamented "project awakened" which appears fully dead since people can kickstart a @#$%ing potato salad, but cant crowdfund a flexible superhero game) then i would be the first one in line to buy it.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014

now as for your final idea baout taking the champions offline, its pretty clear that cryptic is finished caring about champions and has been for years, but if someone would make a offline superhero game(like my much lamented "project awakened" which appears fully dead since people can kickstart a @#$%ing potato salad, but cant crowdfund a flexible superhero game) then i would be the first one in line to buy it.

What would any PW made game have to do with Cryptic. PW owns the Champs IP and can do what ever they want with it. Heck I'd pay good money for a Torchlight style Champs game made by Runic :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited December 2014
    What would any PW made game have to do with Cryptic. PW owns the Champs IP and can do what ever they want with it. Heck I'd pay good money for a Torchlight style Champs game made by Runic :3
    i don't recall mentioning any other pwi games, so i dont follow your question. I dont see cryptic spending the money to get any other studio to make a champs game. its jsut not been a prioity for them for so long, i wouldnt see the motivation. but i agree that if a customizable superhero game came out(heck, go freedom force with it) if be all over it, i jsut dont have faith in cryptic to have the capital nor concern to do it.
    edited December 2014
    now as for your final idea baout taking the champions offline, its pretty clear that cryptic is finished caring about champions and has been for years

lol? people who actually believe this live in a dank dusty fantasy world.

listen, just because mom has your 2 baby sisters to look after now and doesn't have as much time for you, her teenage son, doesn't mean she doesn't love you anymore. now dry those tears, no girl wants to take a big cry babby to prom.
    but if someone would make a offline superhero game(like my much lamented "project awakened" which appears fully dead since people can kickstart a @#$%ing potato salad, but cant crowdfund a flexible superhero game) then i would be the first one in line to buy it.

There's been a whole bunch of offline superhero games, some of them pretty good. I think X-Men Origins: Wolverine was my fave. The batman ones are okay too.
    edited December 2014

listen, just because mom has 2 babies to look after and doesn't have as much time for you, her teenage son, doesn't mean she doesn't love you anymore.

There's been a whole bunch of offline superhero games, some of them pretty good. I think X-Men Origins: Wolverine was my fave. The batman ones are okay too.
    ok clarifying, a customizable superhero game, since i mentioned it like 4 times earlier i figured that was understood :P i dont want to play some dusty relic from the 50s who was used to sell hostess fruit pies. nor work through garth ennis' daddy issues, i want to make my own character and select my powers, and ideally eba ble to make specific moral choices with my character to guide their narrative. not any offline game like that currently available, closest is saints row 4, which i put about 50 hours into, but no character choice, you are a villain, nothing you can do about it, story wise.

as for the first point, how you liking all the new game mechanics introduced this year? the game is still online, but are you seriously saying that cryptic has done anything to prioritize the growth of co since reloaded?
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2014

listen, just because mom has your 2 baby sisters to look after now and doesn't have as much time for you, her teenage son, doesn't mean she doesn't love you anymore. now dry those tears, no girl wants to take a big cry babby to prom.

Actually, it would matter if the mom made her teenager daughter to drop out school so it won't spend too much money on her while putting her baby sisters in an expensive preschool program. However, I don't blame nwo or sto, they are respectable games which has good investment, you get a lot of more for your bucks there than here.

It has been this trend of thought in CoX/CO that a superhero mmo has to be extremelly focus on costumes. Management discovers that making costumes and vehicles are cheaper to make than actual content and it is easier to charge more for them(lockboxes). I am guessing that we will continue receiving new costumes/vehicles and less content. Sad thing, but money talks.
    edited December 2014
    What would any PW made game have to do with Cryptic. PW owns the Champs IP and can do what ever they want with it.
    Um, no. PW is the publisher, and owns Cryptic (more or less); Cryptic is the developer, and owns the IP rights to Champions (and makes a little money on the side leasing the PnP rights back to Hero Games, from whom they purchased the IP to begin with). Cryptic owned the IP back when Atari was the publisher, too.