test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How would you advertise Champions Online?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Not where. We can all list off a dozen places where, but that's not the important part. The important part is how.

Given realistic circumstances how would you convey to someone casually glancing at your advertisement the depth of character building that CO possesses?

How would your advertisement pull their eyes away from the no doubt nearby bigger-name advertisement that is likely to be making the same claims?

How do you sell the graphics to a generation mesmerized by next gen graphics?

Realistic circumstances means it's likely to be a standard-sized banner on a website. TV commercials are unrealistic, as is any sort of official professional blog (we already have sites talking about our "content news" and it's unlikely that a big-name siteis going to do a piece on a five year old game... unless it's to trash it with four year old information of course).

The suggestion to advertise the game comes up frequently, but whenever I picture these advertisements in my head, I also picture the average potential customer glancing at it briefly and then never thinking about it again.

Feel free to break any of the rules I've set forth because I know you will anyway :)
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Do people pay attention to banner ads anymore? Don't we have YouTube now? Or Hulu? And what about Twitch? Welcome to 2014 where we have video ads on the Interwebz.

If you want realistic, maybe consider that traditional advertisement isn't as effective as people think it is. Who talks about CO may be more important than any ads Cryptic can make. Or just having someone actually update the damn CO YouTube channel on occasion. Seriously, Atari is still on most of the old videos. How long has it been since that buy out?

I hear Terraria and Minecraft are super popular and their graphics suck. Who plays a game with icky 16-bit graphics now-a-days?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1.copy out the zone chat of people ******** and complaining.
    2. run a long list of other games.
    3. " and yet they are still playing Champions"

Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Yeah. I heard taco took over the CO reddit, if we could get players streaming, he could link to it, and we could generate our own advertising that way. (pity we have to do PWI's job for them)

You know? Legit idea. Technically I feel like it'd be best if we get people who livestream other more popular fare, and have them do CO mixed in there. Do it guerrilla style, sneak the game in with games that draw more attention.

I think Sterga's right about the banner ad thing. Getting some gaming sites to actually play the damn game again instead of relying on 4 year old data would be a great start. If we got reviewed now, for our own merits, I'm sure it'd end up that we're a fun game with great customization and a little bit of age showing. As well, yeah. Video ads. Gameplay is really active and dynamic, we should be showing that off. The few video ads I've seen for CO involved static players standing back firing at something, that sorta deal. We've got fights like lemurian invasion, where you gotta fly around like a crazy person shooting down enemy fighters. Hell, even Zombie Apocalypse is more dynamic than most anything we've seen.

We used to do fan made ads... Why don't we do another one? A few of us can vid-cap.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    also bring back refer a friend
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No... not unless some seriosuly good changes in the diirections the forum fans recomend happen.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    >_> I tell randoms in my shop when I see someone buying Lego Marvel or Saints Row IV they should also try Champions Online and thats its free :D

You get a lot of game for $0 bucks with Champions Online I dont see why people wouldnt recomend it. Aside from Team Fortress its the best free online game out there.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Reduce the price on absolutely everything being sold to 10% of the current costs, including subscription and lifetime sub.

Implement "clothing explosion" aura.

90% off! gif banner ad
    with heroes and heroines, worms, robots and beasts having their 'normal' clothing blown off leaving only 90% of their 'skin' exposed, using suggestive camera focus.

Run the ads for a year, like that horrible pixelated game with those "Ready to serve you, M'lord" breast-centric ads did and do whatever it takes to get back on the front page of Steam, like maybe an occasional one day only "Log in, get free gold sub for a month" deal.

Game is too expensive and micro transactions are a major turn off when Steam or Gog.com are offering full games for the price of an aura slot and new full games for the price of a 50% off free form slot, while EA and other vendors occasionally give whole games away for free.

Selling features for the price of full games just doesn't seem to encourage people to stick around. Having suggested auras as a means to add value to the account, I find I don't want to even buy aura slots knowing there's a high probability I won't be playing the character nine times out of ten (currently as silver) or fifty-nine times out of sixty when I was still gold.

Twelve dollars for a full set of slots, per character, times ten characters is $120.
    Maybe new players to the game go a little crazy like I used to with costume slots that I no longer use, and character slots when I was less informed about gold sub benefits. But relying on craziness and ignorance hasn't really pushed this game's user base to encouraging levels, although it seems to have won some favor with the developers. Thanks devs.

I should mention my whole family uses ad blockers on our browsers now, so I wouldn't even see my awesome 90% off sale ad if they went that route

Maybe advertising the game in other Perfect World game's by putting super hero costumes in those games would put people in the mood for more hero stuff. Maybe some kind of crossover event like "Mechanon Menace against MetaMoon IV" in STO or "Venture Versus Viper" in Neverwinter or "Defender Penetrates Perfect World". Ideally though they'd want to keep their IP separate from these other IPs, so the easier thing to do would be to ask the user base to suggest their own characters for the crossover, since Cryptic owns the characters, but they are never going to get any use outside of this game since they can't compete with Marvel/DC/Image in the movie/TV industry.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Reduce the price on absolutely everything being sold to 10% of the current costs, including subscription and lifetime sub.

Implement "clothing explosion" aura.

90% off! gif banner ad
    with heroes and heroines, worms, robots and beasts having their 'normal' clothing blown off leaving only 90% of their 'skin' exposed, using suggestive camera focus.

Run the ads for a year, like that horrible pixelated game with those "Ready to serve you, M'lord" breast-centric ads did and do whatever it takes to get back on the front page of Steam, like maybe an occasional one day only "Log in, get free gold sub for a month" deal.

Snip.

that was Evony online. and the campaign won Worst Internet advertising campaign.
    That was pay to win game.
    besides the explosive clothing aura would be in breech of the costumes guidleines. Just like all the long hair, belt and boots... females.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I feel like the issue with streams and youtube videos is that the only people who end up watching them are us people who already play CO. I'm not watching millions of youtube videos that provide excellent advertising for untold numbers of products... simply because there's nothing directing me to watch them. It seems about as effective as going out in the woods and making an excellent 30 minute presentation as to why people should go out in the woods..
    Youtube has never effectively advertised anything to me. For perspective: I don't watch television, I watch Youtube, and I have some sort of Youtube video going pretty much all day long. Youtube just doesn't draw my attention to videos that advertise things... and even if it did, I wouldn't go for the same reason that any time a commercial came on on tv I would stop paying attention to the tv.

Before people will watch streams and videos of a game they don't know about, you have to inform them that the game exists and get them interested in watching to begin with. I have used youtube videos to take a gander at a game when I was interested in trying it out, but before I ever went looking for that video something had already gotten me interested.

So add-on question for those using streams/videos as their form of advertising: How do you get non-CO players to tune in to them (instead of the dozens of 360 no scope cod videos and streams)?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In 2009.
    'Nuff Said.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »

So add-on question for those using streams/videos as their form of advertising: How do you get non-CO players to tune in to them (instead of the dozens of 360 no scope cod videos and streams)?

Covered that. Also stream popular stuff people already know about and do wanna look up. I just tracked down a copy of "this war of mine", for example.

There's also reddit. I got the CO sub, but there's no real content to share about it.

I really am not sure viral marketing even needs much of a defense. Far as I'm concerned it's really our only option. There's a danger in saying "This never works for me" because you're just one person. :)
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited November 2014
    There's a danger in saying "This never works for me" because you're just one person. :)

Yeah, but people have been making youtube videos of CO for years now. I, as a person who plays CO and watches Youtube religiously, haven't ended up watching the vast majority of them. I may be one person, but I'm square in the crosshairs of being one person who should be extremely likely to be watching these videos... and I probably don't even realize that the majority of them even exist. So what chance does a non-co-playing casual youtuber have?
    edited November 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    that was Evony online. and the campaign won Worst Internet advertising campaign.
    Yeah because it adertised gorgeous female anatomy and offered up pixelated sprite based ugliness. I'm sure it if backed up its advertising with ample content the ad campaign would have went over better. Nothing is more frustrating than being offered some melons and then being given raisins.

besides the explosive clothing aura would be in breech of the costumes guidleines. Just like all the long hair, belt and boots... females.

I didn't say anyone would be naked, is Hulk naked? No, his costume is always ready every time he pops a Banner.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Having a person upload and stream CO videos only really works as a way to get people to play CO if that person has a channel with a lot of views. PoE was FAR less popular until Kripp decided to play during beta. His contribution to adding players was so significant, GGG put him in the credits for their game.

Also, creating a YouTube or Twitch channel that you expect to get views is not easy. It takes a lot of time and networking. There is no way anyone is going to make their channel with just CO. It would have to be a variety channel with other games. Which means being involved in other communities.

Basically, the best way for Cryptic to advertise CO is to make an awesome / polished game and show they care about it and the community.

PS: This is how you deal with corruption.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Steps(As I see them):

1. You bring back "Refer a Friend" since it gives people a FULL demo of the game. Then if they want to drop the cash they get Gold but if they want more "demo" they can go Silver and maybe either micro-transaction what they want or go Gold/LTS.

2. You get the CR involved in the process about this discussed Youtube/Twitch/Whatever stuff and run contests and such for the best videos and feeds...then you put them, the runner ups, and the honerable mentions(heck, the more the merrier) on the official channels and the social media stuffs so the STO/NW people see it. As the Cryptic Games people start to see these things then they will "like" them which will show that they liked them and spread the links through those networks.....like how my wife liked buzzfeed junk on Youtube all the time and it suggests to me that I look at those things because she liked them and we are subscribed to each other. The point is...get this rolling(ontop of Taco's linking abilities which is just more exposure) and it will spread just because of the nature/design of these systems. :cool:

2b. In the information of all of these things you put...
    -Try for Free <Link to Referral/Demo>(Let the authors put in a link specifically to get credit for referring these people).
    -Or-
    -PLAY for Free <link to F2P(aka normal webpage)>

Slap both of these in the info/description sections so people see 2 options which both don't require cash...like the old PSA Drug Dealers you offer them 2 "tastes" for free and then show them how they can "enhance" the experience with varying amounts of cash. :biggrin:

P.S.: If this is going to work then someone needs to PLEASE murder the stupid Streamlined Creation stuff...and the old "OMG, POPUPS ATTACK" stuff from On Alert and such too. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sterga wrote: »

Basically, the best way for Cryptic to advertise CO is to make an awesome / polished game and show they care about it and the community.

[/url]
    that would have been nice, no question, in the current situation, advertisement becomes a bit of a problem.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just get all the female characters around foxbat and defender with all of them half to fully naked with big text saying FREE TO PLAY.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Videos and streams are nice and all, but there still needs to be some standard advertising techniques out there as well, like a new and updated trailer for the game on PWE/Cryptic North's part... perhaps one that showcases several well-known community characters like Thundrax or Caliga fighting alongside the Champions. I would think new players coming in and seeing that these characters are played by real people would draw in some inspiration to stay. That's just me though, and we would STILL need some serious development power to keep up which right now is incredibly selective and not up to any of us here.

The community here has a lot of power and there's too much potential in the game, but there's just no way we can keep going on our own. If PWE invested more into CO, I would guarantee it would be worth their while to look toward the community's strength and play on it.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    deadman20 wrote: »
    Videos and streams are nice and all, but there still needs to be some standard advertising techniques out there as well, like a new and updated trailer for the game on PWE/Cryptic North's part... perhaps one that showcases several well-known community characters like Thundrax or Caliga fighting alongside the Champions.

This is a brilliant idea that's a shame Cryptic hasn't done. Honestly, it's disappointing that they didn't make trailers for Mechanon/SOCRATES/Lemurian Invasion. I mean, I didn't play CO until after CoX closed but I actually (vaguely) remember the official Hideouts video. These don't catch everyone but there is worth and new vids would be good for general "this game is still alive".

As far as fan videos, my biggest problem ironically enough is lack of professionalism. Ranging from lower capture quality to rambling and casual profanity, they can wind up annoying despite otherwise being an excellent resource. Fan vids for some games are a great thing to have and provide at least some advertisement, even if it's limited.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Mechanon

Lemurian Invasion

Fatal Error: Ok, there were like 13 videos on this subject but none of them screamed "trailer" so I didn't list one.

Still, 2 out of 3 isn't bad. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited December 2014
    deadman20 wrote: »
    I would think new players coming in and seeing that these characters are played by real people would draw in some inspiration to stay.

That inspiration would be shattered by the realization that those players only stand around and do nothing all day...

Actually, if you didn't know him... you might think he actually is an npc.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I thought the masses are typically pulled to games based on how much black and red their character can wear, how brown the environments are and how gory the effects are.

Solution: Make a trailer of a black and red character spamming bleeds in the Desert, voiced by a chain-smoker or an Austrian - maybe both, and set it to uplifting orchestral music punctuated with very jarring BLAAAAARRRREEE sounds and fade to blacks.
    edited December 2014
    That's the way to do it, money for nothing and your ad clicks for free.
    edited December 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    I thought the masses are typically pulled to games based on how much black and red their character can wear, how brown the environments are and how gory the effects are.

Solution: Make a trailer of a black and red character spamming bleeds in the Desert, voiced by a chain-smoker or an Austrian - maybe both, and set it to uplifting orchestral music punctuated with very jarring BLAAAAARRRREEE sounds and fade to blacks.

Well we do have a desert...

And a soldier class...
    edited December 2014
    When in doubt, we can always release "This Ain't Champions Online XXX".
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My two cents:

A more active presence on social media.

Ads on websites like ENworld and RPGnet.

Offer benefits to those amongst the playerbase who put ads in their blogs, webcomics, etc.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can any other video beat the Millenia Rangers?

I have lived the refer a friend, and recruiting in the past, it did not work. For any organized effort that players can attempt, CN has to do its part on it, if not it will be void effort.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yea leaky bucket syndrome.

We can pour water into the bucket, but water doesn't stay in the bucket very long.

Nice sentai video btw.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Forehead tattoos.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Even the Fanart this game gets can be used for Advertisement

I was thinking of making some comics that are Riffing the Game-Logic of CO (like why are my Pets not Attacking and why is Vikorin's Golems Throw me back and forth like a Tennis ball... in a Comedic way)
    That was pay to win game.

And it was so horrible that apparently spawned Parodies

I have the idea to take the Banner we got with Witchcraft that says "Subscribe today and Go Freeform something something" and just for Giggles~
    When in doubt, we can always release "This Ain't Champions Online XXX".

Defender is ready to Penetrate the other side... of the Building
    tumblr_mqy5ks7D1v1s6hcy6o1_500.gif

Not to be confused with the "OTHER" Champion game. . .
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited December 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    And it was so horrible that apparently spawned Parodies

uwu ...s'a good day to log on to the forums...