test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Undocumented downloads by PWE to our computers

aztrapeaztrape Posts: 11 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Recently there have been several downloads in patches that are not being documented by PWE. I would like to know in the patch notes what is contained in these 100+ MB files

The last time the patch notes were updated was in May, this lack of transparency in change control is really not going to be acceptable. If you are loading data onto your user base we should be informed of what you are putting on our machines.

-Nesno
Post edited by aztrape on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Read the Super News Network. TrailTurtle will generally post any patch notes we might have in there.

In the most recent instance, he didn't think there'd be any patch notes needed, but we did get the Autumn Leaves aura. Today there'll be another one, as the Nighthawk event is going live.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    PWE Also made updates to Arc and their Wallet payment system. I learned that in an E-Mail, though.
  • aztrapeaztrape Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Read the Super News Network. TrailTurtle will generally post any patch notes we might have in there.

In the most recent instance, he didn't think there'd be any patch notes needed, but we did get the Autumn Leaves aura. Today there'll be another one, as the Nighthawk event is going live.

Thanks, I guess something is better than nothing. Note sure what good it is for PWE to have a release notes section and never update it....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/tag/co-patch-notes
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You should check what they are uploading from your computer...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2014
    The patch notes blog section doesn't get updated often simply because it's another task and another chunk of time, so I usually only post the patch notes in the forum.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, the last patch was "Fixed drasha bugs".

WTF would the point be in putting that on the patch notes?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • frankendreadzfrankendreadz Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The patch notes blog section doesn't get updated often simply because it's another task and another chunk of time, so I usually only post the patch notes in the forum.
    then i suggest that you should delete those areas in the forums that you are all too busy to use.
    this then will make information less confusing and the site more streamlined
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    900x900px-LL-ce3ed42d_This-will-be-the-sixth-time-we-have-created-a-thread-about-it.gif
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wouldn't it make more sense to put the patch/release notes in the launcher than in the forums? It seems like relatively few players read the forums but everyone who is playing has to use the launcher.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    people dont read stuff on the launcher either - given how many people ask about events and such in zone rather than just clicking on the link there.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aztrape wrote: »
    Recently there have been several downloads in patches that are not being documented by PWE. I would like to know in the patch notes what is contained in these 100+ MB files

The last time the patch notes were updated was in May, this lack of transparency in change control is really not going to be acceptable. If you are loading data onto your user base we should be informed of what you are putting on our machines.

-Nesno

It's a virus. You should uninstall CO immediately.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aztrape wrote: »

-Nesno

Vaild point but I still have to..

Game_Over_Man_by_torokun.png
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2014

IMO - The issue with that is - for anyone looking at the 'progress' of CO from the outside - it looks (when compared to ALL the other PWE MMOs on the ARC pages) like Champions Online hasn't been updated in a LOOONG time - and the result: many might say: "Why bother with such a dead game..."

Yes, it does take time, but it IS a form of advertising as well as an indicator of how the game is taken care of. Not keeping it updated (or having a link on that ARC page to a Forum here where one can view patch notes) will cause some players looking for something new, not to bother with CO for lack of updates - a far as they can tell. If the ARC site has an 'official' page for patch notes - it SHOULD have current patch notes or something that redirects an interested party to where current patch notes can be found and read.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wait wait wait... hold on a sec...

1. Other tasks include...? Crypticarmsman made a rather good point, updating this helps keep the game looking like it's being regularly adjusted, even in appearance only. What else is consuming your time so if I may ask?

2. Copy & paste doesn't work? I don't get it, your last several updates on the news were short bits of text only. This doesn't seem like it should take more than 1 to 2 minutes, tops.
    Heroes, maintenance will be tomorrow at 7am PST -- we're having it a little earlier in the week due to Thanksgiving in the US. There won't be any release notes, this is just an update of the C-Store with the weekly discount.

Start time: 7am PST
    Estimated duration: 1.5 - 2 hours

And last release notes...
    Release notes for 11/13.

Items:

-Fixed a bug with Draysha Gas Pistol that was allowing it to deal extremely high amounts of damage.

(Note: Because this was a bug that could be taken advantage of, I chose not to pre-announce that we were fixing it.)

3. Begging your pardon, but the game seems to be stuck in maintenance mode. Yet again. This was something you explicitly previously had said you'd seek to avoid. So many of us are ready and eager to support revival efforts, as was evidenced by the the activeness of the community the last time there was even a slight direct interaction between the devs and your game's community (i.e.: the Patriot Act 4th of July CC). Another good example might be when there was the nemesis creation contest. There are lots of small things even that could be done to fix things up, but C-Store weekly sale discount updates are not going make any progress at all. And no release notes amplifies that outward appearance.
  • heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why not just post something in the Release Notes page directing anyone looking for them to the forums? That way you don't have to update that page while directing any potential future/returning players to where they want to be. It's a customer service thing. If you are going to have a Release Notes page, either update it, delete it, or direct people to the right location.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    heroshima1 wrote: »
    Why not just post something in the Release Notes page directing anyone looking for them to the forums? That way you don't have to update that page while directing any potential future/returning players to where they want to be. It's a customer service thing. If you are going to have a Release Notes page, either update it, delete it, or direct people to the right location.

Many of the feature release news topics used to do this. Down at the bottom of the article would be a link to discuss in the forums. Good idea, don't see why it couldn't be done again.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Has anyone considered the bees aspect of this entire discussion?

For all we know, his keyboard is just FULL of bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

But seriously, we don't know what updating the actual pages entails. I've got a ton of sympathy here, because "It's just a power" is a thing I fight with on the daily. It's never as easy as we think it is to edit a page. I've wasted DUMB quantities of time finding that fact out.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Has anyone considered the bees aspect of this entire discussion?

For all we know, his keyboard is just FULL of bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

But seriously, we don't know what updating the actual pages entails. I've got a ton of sympathy here, because "It's just a power" is a thing I fight with on the daily. It's never as easy as we think it is to edit a page. I've wasted DUMB quantities of time finding that fact out.

Yes.. yes I see what you are saying... the situation can only be made worse with the addition of yet more patch notes n_n