test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Um, Marvel? You uh... well...

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Off Topic
Okay, let me be the first to say: I like Falcon, the character. I was kinda sad that he wasn't getting his own series. I wasn't really thrilled about the 'costume swap' with Captain America, but I figure it's another temporary thing or maybe there's a story I'm not reading and it makes sense. At some point, I realized I don't really care about Marvel comics any more, and I'm just content to watch their movies and such.

However, I saw something today. I won't blow smoke up anyone's but and say I'm African-American, Urban, or anything other than plain old boring vanilla thrilla of the caucasian persuasion. But, I saw this... and... dude, this bothers me. It really does. I mean, it's 2014.

dbVMzGf.jpg

I'm not going into much detail. Maybe I'm being overly-sensitive. FalCaptain America actually looks decent (Would like to see more blue, but maybe that looks better in my head than in practice). He looks awesome, better than I thought he would. But that's not it.

Anyone else... feel a little weirded out by this cover? Or am I just... being weird? I honestly saw this and at first I thought some racist troll really went out of his way to make a joke with photoshop or some other art program. That's how this struck me- I couldn't believe this was a real thing.

Look, if I'm wrong? I'm okay with that. I'm fine. I'll just accept maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, or aren't that big of a deal. But there's a part of me that's a little... startled.

And no, it's not about ethnicity- it's about the representation.
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Looks like he's in a run-down urban setting. Maybe if we knew what kind of story was behind that cover.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Looks like he's in a run-down urban setting. Maybe if we knew what kind of story was behind that cover.

I get mixed opinions from a variety of different friends. Maybe there is a good story. But it just... weirds me out a little.
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My brother had to point out to me that was Rae Sremmurd ("No Flex Zone") on the cover. XP
    I'm guessing that since it's a cameo on a variant cover that the two had a say in what went on it?
    Champions: @ace112233
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My brother had to point out to me that was Rae Sremmurd ("No Flex Zone") on the cover. XP
    I'm guessing that since it's a cameo on a variant cover that the two had a say in what went on it?

I just read some of their lyrics. My opinion is less pleasant now.
    We brought hoes to the party
    We fXXk bad biXXhes only
    We brought drugs to the party
    We just fXXked up the party

Not exactly what I consider 'superhero sidekick' material.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's stupid, lazy, and kind of offensive. Make a new f-ing hero instead of magically doing the sex / race change to one that already exists.

CinimaSins Jeremy was just talking about this in his superhero movie rant (language).
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just read some of their lyrics. My opinion is less pleasant now.

Not exactly what I consider 'superhero sidekick' material.

In my completely honest opinion, mainstream rap has been in a nosedive for years. Heck, it's not even the lyrics now; a lot of it sounds like they're crying, in pain, or just don't know how to use their inside voice. XP

I do agree, I'm not too keen on RS being on the cover, but Marvel has an idea with what they're going with this. I won't be seeing how this plays out; I don't even read comics. ^^;

Huh? What? 'Turn in my Champions card?!'
    Champions: @ace112233
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    its a limited release variant cover in association with the band's record label. maybe done to allow marvel to use some music in one of their other ventures - upcoming netflix shoes perhaps.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, that... cover seems to feature some rather Unfortunate Implications. Like you said, the costume looks good, but... well... everything else?

Not so much. I'm getting serious stereotyped undertones with this.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    It's stupid, lazy, and kind of offensive. Make a new f-ing hero instead of magically doing the sex / race change to one that already exists.

CinimaSins Jeremy was just talking about this in his superhero movie rant (language).

That was a pretty good video. And I absolutely agree. I'd rather see new heroes as opposed to rehashed characters. Some of my favorite characters are comparatively new.

As for this cover, I'm of two minds about this. I'm not offended and the fact that it is a variant cover makes me less bothered/worried about this. I've always paid less attention to variant covers and quite frankly don't really care what is done on those ones. If it bothers me I just won't buy it. Also, the art reminds me of comics from way back. The first thing that came to mind was Milestone when I saw this cover, which was a wonderful line and pretty much far and above most things. I'm also reminded of John Stewart when he first became Green Lantern (many of the stories dealt with social issues and so on). Given Falcon's background, the cover could also have special significance in itself and may harken back to those stories (though we all know its Rae Sremmurd hype/marketing stuff that they thought looked cool).

On the other hand, part of me winces a bit (or burst into fits of giggles) any time any company tries to market something towards any racial or ethnic group, especially in a ethno-Americentric stereotyped manner or utilizing head-scratching means (like McDonald's' or car commercials that, have someone sounding stereotypically black speaking when trying to market such products to black people and a separate commercial with a non-stereotyped sounding voice for what I assume is white people or everyone else - that's the oddest thing and makes me shake my head in disdain every time because it's not like I don't speak English or something or can't speak without sounding stereotyped - I can't even pull it off if I tried). Then again, that's assuming that is what Marvel is trying to do in this case. They may just be trying to market this not to a racial demographic but a cultural one.

That said, I'm sure I'm forgetting something but this post is long enough as it is. In the end it's a harmless cover and at worst is just a promotional tool, no different than some others we have seen in the past. I can't speak for all black people but personally, I'm not offended nor find it offensive. Just...odd and a little funny. I'm more bothered by the questionable decisions the big two have been making concerning their comic characters as of late.

Oh and indeed, the state of rap music these days is deplorable. Kris Kross were better than these kids. :wink:
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    just no. luke cage as captain america?
    and whats with the 80´s vibe i get, and the stereotypical picturing.
    ju no marvel. sometimes its ok to keep a winning horse.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zer303606 wrote: »
    and whats with the 80´s vibe i get, and the stereotypical picturing.
    ju no marvel. sometimes its ok to keep a winning horse.

It's Sam Wilson (the Falcon) taking up Cap's shield. As long time partner of Cap, having been trained by Cap; it is a fairly logical step as a replacement.
    edited November 2014
    zer303606 wrote: »

That's the Falcon.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh, yes, exactly the sort of youths one can imagine hanging out with Captain America... :rolleyes:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ahhh the casual Disney racism is leaking into Marvel now.

dumboracist1.jpg

Pitiful.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nepht wrote: »

dumboracist1.jpg

Pitiful.

That picture literally made me rofl!

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Pitiful.

Marvel has been doing just fine for some time now.

snap-wilson-marvel-comics.jpg

That said...there's a lot of context missing from this thread.
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That cover is just as offensive as their t-shirts. It's like they were doing it on purpose, no one can be that accidentally obtuse.

marvelsexistshirts1.jpg
    edited November 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »
    That cover is just as offensive as their t-shirts. It's like they were doing it on purpose, no one can be that accidentally obtuse.

marvelsexistshirts1.jpg

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16_zps57f21a1a.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Blame Bonnie Tyler.
    biffsig.jpg
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Blame Bonnie Tyler.

That was the first thing that came to mind. That said, are we getting mad about shirts again?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/shirtstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Y6VH4PShQ
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know the thread has a broader theme, race, music, etc., but in case anyone was wondering, here's the lowdown on the book behind the cover. I just read it and, to confirm, that Variant Cover has very little to do with the story.

A quick note - IMHO the original Captain America, Steve Rogers, is a great character, but I never enjoyed his individual comic series. He always worked best in a team setting or crossover events.

The actual comic - establishes Falcon's childhood in Harlem in only the 1st page, then 20 pages of fighting Hydra as the new Captain. Steve and his old nemeses make an appearance. IMHO it was very mediocre.

The Variant Cover in context - I guess it's related to the Falcon's past, as he had to raise his siblings alone, so he's got a real soft spot for kids. However, the art, the style, the themes, the story, the direction is totally different.

My impression - this is a set up to get people excited for Steve Rogers to take up the shield again in about 1 to 2 years.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
    edited November 2014
    Think Stan Lee will make a tearful apology about anything?
    JXrQYPq.jpg
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure Stan has very little to do with the current editorial and business decisions at Marvel these days. He seems to only really pick up fat royalty checks and make cameo appearances in movies now.
  • moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure Stan has very little to do with the current editorial and business decisions at Marvel these days. He seems to only really pick up fat royalty checks and make cameo appearances in movies now.

As has been the case for well over 30 years now.
    edited November 2014
    Sure, but that guy landed a space dishwasher on a comet and had to apologize for a shirt he was wearing, so clearly "logical direct connections" are no longer required when it comes to having to apologize for offending people who's hobby it is to get offended.

Also look at him... I doubt Stan Lee would apologize if he walked onto the set of Good Morning America unannounced literally wearing a naked woman who was cosplaying as She-Hulk.
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Think Stan Lee will make a tearful apology about anything?

Not Stan the Man's fault he was getting old and dumb obviously took some daft advice sold Marvel to Disney.

Hold up it IS his fault U_U
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited November 2014
    Not Stan the Man's fault he was getting old and dumb obviously took some daft advice sold Marvel to Disney.

Ya but he got a big golden throne out of the deal o3o
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Ya but he got a big golden throne out of the deal o3o

Well all is well then :D

4dd9ccc25a06b0b5d1be6915e7d82f9c1b2140f7c36aff9e5edd3d5e07b333f1.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Stan hasn't been running things at Marvel for a long time. You're looking for a fellow named Isaac Perlmutter.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited November 2014
    "Long time" is an understatement. It's been ages upon ages since he's held the reins there.
    edited November 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Stan hasn't been running things at Marvel for a long time. You're looking for a fellow named Isaac Perlmutter.

Perlmutter....thats an awful name :O