test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

player retention

notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Suggestions Box
It doesn't take an expert to see that CO is having trouble getting and retaining players on a regular basis, and having poked around, I think I've managed to boil it down to three main issues.

1: The ATs are terrible, as in if you play through CO using an AT it makes it seem like a really, really bad game, which obviously is a point against CO, because...well, who wants to play a game that just seems outright bad, which is a shame considering to get the goodness you either need to put in a ungodly amount of time farming Q for zen for a free form slot, or be able to fork up the money for a gold membership.

Possible solution: Either give every silver account, both existing and newly created a single Free Form slot [I'm aware that'll kill the main reason to go gold unless they want more than 1 ff character, which most people do].
Or removing the AT's all together and replacing them with a tree system, which would consist of 12 trees, each one containing 2 full power sets [3 each for elemental] and the silver accounts can pick 2 trees per character, the end result would be the player being able to pick and choose what powers they want from the trees they selected, as well as their own super stats and spec trees.

Tree division goes as follow [I know the names are rubbish, but I'm not good with names]

Raw Elements
-Fire
-Wind
-Earth

Altered Elements
-Ice
-Eletric
-Force [Rename it to gravity to make more sense]

Bullets, Bombs and Bows
-Muntuions
-Archery

Tech heads
-Gageteering
-Power Armor

Blade Mastery
-Single Blade
-Dual Blades

Martial Arts
-Unarmed
-Fighting Claws

Mind over matter
-Telekinesis
-Telepathy

Brute force
-Might
-Heavy weapons

Otherworldly
-Celestial
-Darkness

Mystic Sorcery
-Arcane Sorcery
-Primal Sorcery

Aligned Sorcery
-Ebon Sorcery
-Radiant Sorcery

Supernatrual Monster
-Beastial supernatrual
-Infernal Supernatrual

2: The lack of advertising..this one is simple, the shear lack of advertising means nobody know that CO exists, making it extremely hard to find..hell, i only found it though a yourtube video about games with good player customation.

Solution: This one is as simple as they get...ADVERTISE...and no, ARC [who the hell uses it anyway?] and the odd review in some online review site that I can't even remember the name of becasue it's that obsecure, don't count]

3: lack of consistent content output

Solution: Get tummerboy back/hire move devs/stop being lazy/let us replay missions at level 40 and have them scale up to our level.

Yes i know the last one was rude but I'm tired of playing a game where we get one half decient piece of content per year, becasue for the rest of the year i'm sitting around bored as hell due to a lack of content...and no, lockboxes do not count as new content, they count as filler to grab more cash

but the main point is this, if you can retian more players in CO then you'll be able to make more money in the long run and people will be less likly to moan and complain about every little thing due to having more than the usual 170something group of players to talk with [last friday for most of the day CO had barely 99 players across all the instances of mc..the busiest instance in CO..that's not a good sign]
In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    \signed x3

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure if I care much for #1, but reasons 2 and 3 are right on the money.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    bdragon4co wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I care much for #1, but reasons 2 and 3 are right on the money.

have you tried playing the game as an AT and then compairing it to playing as a FF, the diffrence in quaility and enjoyabaility is much higher for the FF players..becasue the ATs are poorly constructed and not balanced.

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    notyuu wrote: »
    have you tried playing the game as an AT and then compairing it to playing as a FF, the diffrence in quaility and enjoyabaility is much higher for the FF players..becasue the ATs are poorly constructed and not balanced.

Touch

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Touch

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This game depends on whales. When they lose a whale, that's when Cryptic makes a meaningful update to try and lure in new ones.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    This game depends on whales. When they lose a whale, that's when Cryptic makes a meaningful update to try and lure in new ones.

so basically you're saying if a big spender like me or bacon or cal or whoever buggers off from co then they'll actually take steps, eh?

Well it would suck if they did leave, they are pretty nice people ingame after all..as for me personally i'm looking for a new game i can play while having CO on the side until it does new exciting stuff..other than lockboxes and the like..anybody got any suggestions that are not DCUO?

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    so basically you're saying if a big spender like me or bacon or cal or whoever buggers off from co then they'll actually take steps, eh?

Well it would suck if they did leave, they are pretty nice people ingame after all..as for me personally i'm looking for a new game i can play while having CO on the side until it does new exciting stuff..other than lockboxes and the like..anybody got any suggestions that are not DCUO?

I'm also a big spender and have actually taken breaks from the game a couple of times. Its the new costumes that always drag me back though.

As for a new game, I got nothing. I've personally been playing this, WoW, and World of Tanks.
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    3: lack of consistent content output

Solution: Get tummerboy back/hire move devs/stop being lazy/let us replay missions at level 40 and have them scale up to our level.

Agreed. That must be quite easy, and should change the content we get alot. Or maybe not, but still would make us feel better, right?
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1: no to your terrible archetype tree system. yes to giving everyone 1 freeform slot once they've leveled to 40. OR maybe make the first Freeform Slot you ever buy always be 50% off or something.

2: the problem is CO isn't relevant anymore. Our Nostalgia Goggles prevent us from seeing the fact that CO is outdated and doesn't have anything worth advertising. At least, that's why I'm sure nobody wants to put any money into advertising it.

3: Scary tech approved.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    1: no to your terrible archetype tree system. yes to giving everyone 1 freeform slot once they've leveled to 40. OR maybe make the first Freeform Slot you ever buy always be 50% off or something.

Someone didn't read...i said eaither give the accounts 1 FF slot each OR implement the tree system, one would remove the main attraction for going gold, but vastly boost player retention the other would allow more creative freedom with build creation helping improve player retention without taking away the main gold syb attraction.

• Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014

From my understanding, this is what many MMOs do. It's sad and causes problems in the community.

My dream is to get rid of the AT system as it is and actually change gold to be more like a nice buff with perks instead of the half-asses F2P system that the game uses. Giving players two FF slots instead of two AT slots isn't going to kill Cryptic's income. I suspect most of their money comes from key sales anyway. Some guy who makes 10 accounts for FF slots wasn't going to spend money on the game anyway.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Solution: hire move devs

Oh Me! Pick me! Me me me!

Seriously though, I've got enough experience to know what I'm doing and I'd love nothing more than to give CO the boost it needs and deserves.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I must say that I am more than supporting the will of players to become devs as well. After all no one knows what we want more than the players themselves....

~me
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I must say that I am more than supporting the will of players to become devs as well. After all no one knows what we want more than the players themselves....

Having ideas does not a dev make.

Someone didn't read...i said eaither give the accounts 1 FF slot each OR implement the tree system, one would remove the main attraction for going gold, but vastly boost player retention the other would allow more creative freedom with build creation helping improve player retention without taking away the main gold syb attraction.

I did read, and then I **** all over your terrible tree system. What are you not getting? u3u
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    2 and 3 are on the money, but rather general, while 1, I appreciate, seems a bit superfluous with the new tree division.

I'd like to add a very important 4:

4 - Make a good first impression.
    Now, making good first impressions are usually pretty easy - I know, a whole lot of us find the same Westside run boring and such, and urrrgh ATs are unbearable, but from the perspective of a new player, this seems all well and good: Typical MMO fare for starting out and getting yourself rooted. But thinking on how a new player sees the game, there's a few aspects that can sully that all-important first impression:

First, this game is famous for its customization. Well, okay, famous doesn't exactly describe the game, but it should be, and it can be. Of course, the problem is that cryptic (logically) thought the costume editor at first glance would be really daunting to new players, so they implemented editor simplification until you reach around level 11.
    But then that's just kicking yourself in the ****, because now these players who (likely) heard about the game from their friends who lauded it for its awesome character editor now go in and discover that you can't have a gorilla head for some reason, even though there isn't any real limitation that should be in place for it. It basically boils down to this:
    • Remove tailor simplification. Period.
    • Have sales more frequently feature costume sets - in fact, starting whenever, just have a series of sales that chronologically scroll through all the released costumes.

Next up is the Tutorial. This is a big problem, because last time I played it, I don't think I really remembered learning anything in it other than "MOVE WITH WASD AND SPACE LOL". It teaches you nothing about Travel Powers, Energy Builders, Energy Management in general, different attack types (When I first played the game, I was really confused as to why my Thundering Kicks didn't have a recharge, for example. And one player I played with for a day was really surprised to learn that Two-Gun Mojo was a maintain). It also used to teach players about how to block with a very friendly and useful example, but now instead it just expects you to use it a split-second before it's required - Against Black Talon. Like, two paragraphs of explanation appear in the upper left corner while he's blasting your face in.
    What does the tutorial teach you about? Looking at maps and using your device tray. Hell, there is more explicitly tutorial-related explanation crap outside of the tutorial than inside it. What I'm trying to say is that, while the tutorial's good for an exciting and hectic intro (a hook, so to speak) into the game, it's a terrible at actually teaching the player. Just review that, and I think a lot of players will be happier - both new ones, and old ones who can enjoy them being more competent.
    Some specific feedback:
    • Have a cop near the beginning that explains different attack types - charges, maintains, combos, etc.
    • Move the introduction of blocking to the Ironclad Open Mission - Partway through the battle, a miniboss shows up that uses nothing but PBAoE knockbacks that do low damage and mainly annoy the player. Slow enough to land plenty of hits between, and weak enough to be taken down in 2-3 cycles of its attack pattern.
    • Have Black Talon only use his Tanglecoil Launcher and Orbital Launcher - teach the player about holds and mobility in combat, since weird Miniboss already covered blocking and knockback.

Lastly would be making the ATs better, but that's pretty similar to Point 1 in the OP. I dunno, maybe get someone who knows how the game's battle system actually works come up with an AT overhaul?
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't think you can consider yourself a whale for the game until you've spent at least $10k on it. Yes, there are players who have spend much, much more than that.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Can we be Magikarps instead? :3!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't think you can consider yourself a whale for the game until you've spent at least $10k on it. Yes, there are players who have spend much, much more than that.

well i got over halfway there in my first year of playing....sooo, what i'd be a magic potato or something?

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Can we be Magikarps instead? :3!

In that case I'm a wailord. And I use body slam!
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Nuuu I'll be buried under your money :frown:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    well i got over halfway there in my first year of playing....sooo, what i'd be a magic potato or something?

Well in that case they are doing things right because your money spending is telling them that you approve of what they are doing.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well in that case they are doing things right because your money spending is telling them that you approve of what they are doing.

During her first year of playing the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

yeah...not my proudest moment, but I didn't have too much of a grip on what was going on with the game, and for the most part I was buying keys to sell for G[when i have the money..god damn extra life just had to happen the week before i got my paycheck] to get pre-alert costume pieces as well as costume pieces;/sets for me friends..which is what i've kinda only been doing reciently, resulting in my spening slowing down to a crawl...if they put out regular content and we had more people then maybe i could make some more friends or the ingame ecomony woulnd't be so broken to the point where nobody can sell anything ever becasue the players that had the money for the most part have left...

• Options
    pepi83pepi83 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1: The ATs are terrible, as in if you play through CO using an AT it makes it seem like a really, really bad game, which obviously is a point against CO, because...well, who wants to play a game that just seems outright bad, which is a shame considering to get the goodness you either need to put in a ungodly amount of time farming Q for zen for a free form slot, or be able to fork up the money for a gold membership.

Simple solution to #1:
    Make All the silver players Freeform......BUT only to Level 20, from there the usual tree system.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    yeah...not my proudest moment, but I didn't have too much of a grip on what was going on with the game, and for the most part I was buying keys to sell for G[when i have the money..god damn extra life just had to happen the week before i got my paycheck] to get pre-alert costume pieces as well as costume pieces;/sets for me friends..which is what i've kinda only been doing reciently, resulting in my spening slowing down to a crawl...if they put out regular content and we had more people then maybe i could make some more friends or the ingame ecomony woulnd't be so broken to the point where nobody can sell anything ever becasue the players that had the money for the most part have left...

Are you saying you regret spending money on the game you were being entertained by?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    pepi83 wrote: »
    Simple solution to #1:
    Make All the silver players Freeform......BUT only to Level 20, from there the usual tree system.

Mind explaining what you mean by this?

~me
  • Options
    pepi83pepi83 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Mind explaining what you mean by this?

I mean every silver player to be freeform, to be able to select whatever power, ability etc he wants (exactly the same like gold subs) until he/she reaches 15th or 20th level. From 21st and up he/she will no longer has this opportunity, now he/she has to choose an AT tree to follow.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    pepi83 wrote: »
    I mean every silver player to be freeform, to be able to select whatever power, ability etc he wants (exactly the same like gold subs) until he/she reaches 15th or 20th level. From 21st and up he/she will no longer has this opportunity, now he/she has to choose an AT tree to follow.

It is not a very bad suggestion but I had prefer ONE complete FF slot and two AT slots (that way it would be easier to introduce the feature or one AT slot at random will be replaced with FF slot) OR the first FF slot being sold at 1150 zen to silvers.

That way, they had want it and actually buy it next. Giving the first 20 then removing thereafter is like a flag on a pole , part flexible ; part rigid. It's better as a cylinder of liquid, complete unrestrained flexibility and rigid safe zone.

Moreover, the concept of first-20-FF would need a whole new type of coding. Making one of em slots FF or reducing the price should make it easier.

I hope the devs are reading this thread...

~me
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It is not a very bad suggestion but I had prefer ONE complete FF slot and two AT slots (that way it would be easier to introduce the feature or one AT slot at random will be replaced with FF slot) OR the first FF slot being sold at 1150 zen to silvers.

I hope the devs are reading this thread...

Personally i think making all FF slots like 2500 zen would be more reasonable from both a player and business perspective...and as for the dev thing...well, i WOULD take this to them personally, but wouldn't you just know and behold, there's no contact methods of any kind (other than going through PWE, of which nobody is there to respond to you...like ever.....yay dev contact -_-")

• Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I remember when people got free character slots to try new archetypes.

Why not doing the same with Freeform? Get silver users hooked, show them all they're missing on.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    One thing they need to do is advertise the different diminishing returns model for Archetypes as a feature. Push them as "specialists" who are less versatile but but better at the one thing they specialize in.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    when did they give free character slots to try AT's.?
    I know they used to have free trials of AT's but not slots to use them in.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    when did they give free character slots to try AT's.?
    I know they used to have free trials of AT's but not slots to use them in.

The free trial AT came with one extra free slot to try out the premium AT in.
  • Options
    lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've always felt that the game seriously needed a quest system that was tied into the role or kind of character your character was (be it a superhero that went after larger threats or more a vigilante that dealt with street level threats and so on). Given the various settings that exist within the game, I'm sure they could have done something with that, with the space-based heroes being the only ones in serious need of a setting. It would have created a more dynamic leveling system and encourage people to try out different styles to allow truly varied experiences on multiple playthroughs. I guess a similar system is DCUO where at first, depending on your mentor, you found yourself dealing with different villains and quests. And while the whole thing breaks down into dealing with many of the same quests the start was an interesting idea that would have worked well if they kept to it. CO could work well with a similar system. I'm sure it would make role-playing a lot more fun as well since it compliments it (to a degree).
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."