test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

any of you use ?

neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
A controller for this game ? If so, do you find it viable sense there are default settings for the controller ? Also, for those who might use a controller ( Game pad ) do you like it better than the mouse and keyboard ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A controller for this game ? If so, do you find it viable sense there are default settings for the controller ? Also, for those who might use a controller ( Game pad ) do you like it better than the mouse and keyboard ?

i prefer the controller, i use an xbox 360 with wireless receiver
  • neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jasinblaze wrote: »

Cool, gonna see how it works out for me.
  • ogremindesogremindes Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I use a 360 controller. I use the default settings mostly, except I unbound the commands for changing builds.
    If you need it, there's a guide for controller commands here.

-Ogre
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ogremindes wrote: »
    I use a 360 controller. I use the default settings mostly, except I unbound the commands for changing builds.
    If you need it, there's a guide for controller commands here.

i should do that
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2014
    Tried a controller and never looked back. So much less strain on my wrists while playing.
    I recommend Xpadder for setting up turbo buttons and the like.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Have been playing with a Gamepad since the day I joined CO, 3 Different Gamepads

This game was clearly made to be played with Gamepad, it's so much more flexible and Action-based than struggling with Keyboard

In matter of fact, when my 2 Gamepads Broke, I refused to play CO with Keyboard until I get a new one (when I tried it was so Slugish)
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gamepad since alpha user here. I unbound the build change chords, and changed the block to only need my right trigger instead of both triggers held together, other than that, it's vanilla.

I can't really play CO without my gamepad now either, it's not only prefered for me, it's flat superior, even on support alts. The trick is getting used to using the chorded command that toggles targeting from foes to friends and back again, which is the two shoulder buttons.

And of course, turning off "target threatening enemies first", and a few other targeting details. You want it to auto target a foe to be "nearest within camera center", and for hitting an attack activate instantly and set that target as current target, in one touch. It's all in there though, if you play with all the targeting options.

Frankly, I wish I could have all those options for Neverwinter.
  • yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've been using my wireless X-box contoller since Beta. I'm not sure I could play without it.
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jasinblaze wrote: »

where do you get one of those? and um how different are the controls?
  • digitaltwistdigitaltwist Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Dualshock3 Sixaxis here (because I already had extras). I use Better DS3 to emulate the XBox control scheme.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    where do you get one of those? and um how different are the controls?

Amazon should have them as well as stores like Best Buy.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows.

The Champions engine was originally meant for a Microsoft game so the controller integration is very good. I wish it would have been as easy as Champions makes it back in City of Heroes.

There are some nice bind files for using a gamepad in STO as well, though with all the abilities it doesn't work well for all playstyles.

NWO requires a third party program like xpadder as far as I know. It used to "support" a gamepad so there are some pages out there that talk about using one with it, which would be a great game for a controller.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I used an xbox controller once. Its pretty good. I think its best for melee-based powers since you can have the game ignore your target when you use melee powers
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I use a gamepad too, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Gamepad+Keyboard = Glorious Master Race. (the main thing which sets us apart from DCUO) :P
  • doomedluke1doomedluke1 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Every game I can play with a controller, I prefer using it, since staying in the keyboard+mouse can usually be a lot painful for me, and CO is one of these games.

Besides, the commands that aren't in the default settings, you can customize using keybinds, it's much more practical, in my opinion.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I used to use a controller. Now I use mouse and keyboard - but literally the only reason that I switched is because I dropped a bunch of money a razer mouse and keypad thing and I needed to justify the purchase in every way possible. It's entirely possible that I might switch back to controller at some point because it's more comfy.

The default settings the game gives you were unacceptable to me and I didn't use them. Only thing I actually used from the game was the joystick support. Otherwise I used programs like x-padder to assign my own binds to the gamepad keys.

Using a controller is completely viable thanks to the game's auto-targeting, which means you can target effectively by aiming the same way you would in a FPS, so no need for clicking. However there are two things that are made more difficult with a controller:

(1) Using strafing run, because of how the power works.

(2) Being a healer. Much easier with a mouse thanks to the CO UI not really being optimized for healers.

Going by memory, I liked the controller better when it comes to comfort because it lets me rest my arms on my legs. I like mouse+keyboard better because there are more keys available so it's much simpler to find ways to bind everything (with controller there were a lot of creative uses of key combinations required).
  • tsariastsarias Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    im a mouse and controller guy. always have been
    every time i try to play a console game that requires anything resembling eye hand coordination i fall on my pixellated face.

give me a mouse and kb though... and boom... headhsot

;)
  • valkrisvalkris Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I use this as a control for the games that require it. Tartarus
    edited November 2014
    valkris wrote: »
    I use this as a control for the games that require it. Tartarus

You can't hold that in your lap though... and it doesn't have a pressure sensitive thumb stick... I know cause I have one of those sittin' on my desk o3o

Truth be told, that's basically a keyboard >.>
  • valkrisvalkris Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You can't hold that in your lap though... and it doesn't have a pressure sensitive thumb stick... I know cause I have one of those sittin' on my desk o3o

Truth be told, that's basically a keyboard >.>

Yes, but instead of stretching to reach all the numbers on the 'main' keyboard, I have all the buttons under my left hand
    edited November 2014
    valkris wrote: »
    Yes, but instead of stretching to reach all the numbers on the 'main' keyboard, I have all the buttons under my left hand

Sure. That doesn't make the Tartarus a controller/gamepad though. It's literally just a keyboard (also you always have the option of binding things to letter keys instead of number keys :3 )