test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

co is too easy :P

shadowdoomfire90shadowdoomfire90 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
somone.. who you may or may not know tanked all 4 : shadow collosus in the ressistance adeventure pack!! belive it or not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wdIWlKOWMw&list=UU3XfitpPN5uGgPAgj7jlYqw
Post edited by shadowdoomfire90 on

Comments

• Options
    pachiirupachiiru Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A Min-maxing freeform tank =/= an easy game.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And people keep dying on Poe....
    Nubs.
    Pre On Alert patch you had to actually use Block. We actually had a Block Tutorial in the Tutorial.

And i saw a video where Indian guy ate a whole car. A whole car.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    pachiiru wrote: »
    A Min-maxing freeform tank =/= an easy game.

True. Min-Maxing an FF tank is actually a little tough, especially since tanks don't deal much damage. I have a tanky build that can take on a ton of enemies by itself too. If you do it right, an FF tank can kick butt, but its a steep hill to climb to get there.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't know about easy, but that video/fight was boring as hell.

Well the whole production aspect of the video is alright, meaning that you went and did all that.
    Maybe next time you can make an interesting story with your untouchable character.
    Obviously you don't have to worry about dying in the middle of your video shoot.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    FF's can be made to be sickeningly powerful these days, if the comparison is to content built that ATs and new FF players can still have a chance. That's far too large a power discrepancy to be able to fully cover as far as content. Something that would actually challenge that level of a tank would likely be near impossible for everyone else, for ex.

But yes, CO is in general easy. Nothing too wrong w/ that. CO needs more content in general before we start asking for specific types of content to be catered to, imo.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And i saw a video where Indian guy ate a whole car. A whole car.
    And I've watched entire YouTube series about people being harassed and killed by Slenderman and associates (the Rake, HABIT, Masky, et al).

I don't take YouTube videos as a primary source for anything. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You_don't_say%3F.jpg

Old topic is old... Watch how his HP doesn't even go down, stacking resistances then doubling it with void while using IDF and healing constantly for everyone in aoe using senti mastery helps with that. Once you have all this you only need the one thing which we were calling to be fixed AGES ago which is AD rotating. Don't worry, they wont be fixing any powers any time soon by the looks of it. Energy isn't a problem either due to defiance.

This build can already probably tank them without needing the AD rotations but as soon as he activates unbreakable he is LITERALLY unkillable for 15 seconds, like pretty much he has god mode on to these npc's as the small ones just keep healing it back up again by hitting 1's. Although they hit high they do not hit enough to have enough burst to kill him even if all 4 of them use their largest attack at once. MD technically just adds another layer of damage reduction which halfs the damage for it's 15 seconds which also brings their attacks stupidly low.

CO suffers similarly to NW and most likely STO (haven't played since beta) where the game is harder when you first start out a new character than it is when you are max level. Then as you progress through max level the game gets easier and easier. Totally upside down and stupidly designed but it's how things end up being when Cryptic make an MMO.
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    And I've watched entire YouTube series about people being harassed and killed by Slenderman and associates (the Rake, HABIT, Masky, et al).

I don't take YouTube videos as a primary source for anything. :smile:

Slenderman isn't even relivant anymore apparently everyone has moved onto five nights at fredys for thier horror.
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The problem is mostly due to Archtypes. The content is balanced around these haphazardly pre-made builds that only a handful that can be considered passable. A Freeform however, can just decide to skip all the useless powers and min-max whatever they want, allowing for some game breaking power. If they decided to balance the game for them, then a lot of content for Silvers would either mean needing to team up with a lot of archtypes, ask one of the game breakingly strong Freeforms to help, or pay for a Freeform slot. This would alienate players however, and make people feel they need to have a Freeform to be viable, and turning away new players.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No cause one time I died when I was level 10 and I accidentally unplugged both my mouse and my keyboard right after I accidentally turned off my energy builder. CO: Prepare To Die Edition, right there.

People who make these super builds are silly anyway. My latest character has a passive, a form, a block, and then everything else on their list is an attack, and I do fine u_u
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    riltmos wrote: »
    The problem is mostly due to Archtypes. The content is balanced around these haphazardly pre-made builds that only a handful that can be considered passable. A Freeform however, can just decide to skip all the useless powers and min-max whatever they want, allowing for some game breaking power. If they decided to balance the game for them, then a lot of content for Silvers would either mean needing to team up with a lot of archtypes, ask one of the game breakingly strong Freeforms to help, or pay for a Freeform slot. This would alienate players however, and make people feel they need to have a Freeform to be viable, and turning away new players.

What content is that? I just leveled an Inferno and I'm pretty sure I never once died doing the missions. Most content was not updated to reflect the massive power boost players were given with OnAlert.

I do agree that this game is probably hell to balance with FFs, ATs, vehicles, and becomes. Why Cryptic keeps add stuff to screw up balance, I'll never know.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Really? A build that has invested into R9 mods and the best gear and has practiced the timing and invested skill into his character. You're basing how easy the game is off of the highest bar set.

Should I link dozens of other player videos of them failing over and over again on the simplest content?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Should I link dozens of other player videos of them failing over and over again on the simplest content?

NO! I just had a scary flashback of fighting the hulked out Mayor Biselle Clone as an undergeared Inferno AT who died every time you looked at it!

So... much... kiting...
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    What content is that? I just leveled an Inferno and I'm pretty sure I never once died doing the missions. Most content was not updated to reflect the massive power boost players were given with OnAlert.

I do agree that this game is probably hell to balance with FFs, ATs, vehicles, and becomes. Why Cryptic keeps add stuff to screw up balance, I'll never know.

That is what I meant really. You can do the missions because the ATs are set as the baseline of power, and the game kind of assumes you are as strong as an average AT and no weaker or stronger. I meant if the game was rebalanced for the super over the top builds, ATs would have a lot of trouble as they aren't very optimal builds and a disturbing amount don't even have a decent heal without devices.

As for balance for ATs, FFs, Vehicles, and Devices, that is never going to happen because there is way too much to account for.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sterga wrote: »

You can know right now. It's because that's what makes them enough money to justify keeping the game and its team going.
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What I'd like to know is how he got that much HP. Even with R9 mods, I don't think I can get mine that high.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This guy only has rank 7s. Specializations and character roles play a factor in higher HP too.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    riltmos wrote: »
    That is what I meant really. You can do the missions because the ATs are set as the baseline of power, and the game kind of assumes you are as strong as an average AT and no weaker or stronger. I meant if the game was rebalanced for the super over the top builds, ATs would have a lot of trouble as they aren't very optimal builds and a disturbing amount don't even have a decent heal without devices.

As for balance for ATs, FFs, Vehicles, and Devices, that is never going to happen because there is way too much to account for.

Alerts are much more challenging than regular missions and most of the time even ATs can do fine in them. Missions are super easy even for a squishy squish AT. We have plenty of people saying how they leveled some gimpy AT or another without any gear. That's content not even balanced for an AT.

Since I can't see alternate realities, I can't say if other income options would have been more profitable than constantly adding and dumping new ways to play. Or if adding all of that crap ended up pushing players away from the game completely, especially since Cryptic seems to hop on a new shiny and pretend the old stuff doesn't exist anymore. But I can say that adding ATs, Becomes, and Vehicles made any game balance impossible. Probably why Becomes were left in the dust with the OnAlert update despite actually costing money.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    And when we show you video proof of teams above level20 instawiping in alerts?

The fact is, this is a game which has been around long enough for a MASSIVE skill difference to develop between newer and older players. This adds to the impact of player skill inherent in any game.

I leveled a tempest AT easily and within 48 hours without double xp, because I know what I'm doing.

Someone who's just picked up the game yesterday or last week would have faceplanted countless times in places I didn't even once, because they don't know the ins and outs yet.

It is very rare that I end up on a team where we all die our way to victory or team wipe. But it happens. So what? I seriously doubt team wipes are the standard in any alert. The only exception might be F&I pugs. If the average player was team wiping in alerts all the time, there is no way alerts would be more popular than missions.

I suspect most people are capable of learning from their mistakes and dying in a new to you game is not uncommon.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As I said the content is hard... Before someone gets all the new stuff that was added over time. Namely these are the spec tree's and new gear but there are also other things that have caused power creep. It means that the hardest part of the game is when low level, and gradually the game gets easier. Then once you are max the game gets easier and easier the more stuff you get to make yourself stronger and the more you know about stacking buffs.

The game has been broken over time due to this, although the situation isn't as bad as NW which only the people who've stuck around for all this time actually have the min max OP buff stacking while anyone who is fairly casual or new can't get the same stuff and will never keep up. So it ends up being that the game is considered too easy especially by the people who have everything. Cryptic just generally don't think their updates / power creeps through when they put them in and there is never and level increases that will save it so it ends up being stupid.

Also gradii I will always face palm when you mention skill. Anyone with a basic knowledge of gaming or RPG's will be able to become like a god by just getting to max and getting basic gear with a basic build with just a little bit of advice from me as to the stuff to become god like in CO.

To be fair to CO, the game has sort of ended up being developed into something made to make people feel god like. It's generally a very "casual" game however some people end up spending a lot of time either grinding or standing around anyway on it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

The fact is, this is a game which has been around long enough for a MASSIVE skill difference to develop between newer and older players. This adds to the impact of player skill inherent in any game.

This is true. I had a hard time my first play through, granted that was before Alerts, Spec Trees, and modable items (Wow. That was a long time ago...). I think that reworking/balancing the game would probably take much more time than the Devs have, especially since we demand new content every month.
  • Options
    thatsfunnyhinkythatsfunnyhinky Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I will always face palm when you mention skill. Anyone with a basic knowledge of gaming or RPG's will be able to become like a god by just getting to max and getting basic gear with a basic build with just a little bit of advice from me as to the stuff to become god like in CO.

AHAHAAA! XD

Oh man, i just had to register an account to come on and laugh at that. PRICELESS. It sounds like you taught Snake everything he knows, or are claiming to have given him the advice in which to make his character.

Iv known him since launch he doesnt need anyones advice, he's been proving everyone about what does or doesnt exist or is or isnt possible even though yall still sit there grumbling through what is absolutely debunked and legitimately prooven, every single time some forumite comes out with junk they dont know and make a little crew to attack his character or flame a topic when he prooves it.

What he's achieved was achieved playing alone, and with what i last saw was "Snake Wildlife 312" logged in on test server, he takes no build advice even if you try :P I told him add ShadowStrike into his build and he near bit my head off.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I would actually like to see that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    AHAHAAA! XD

Oh man, i just had to register an account to come on and laugh at that. PRICELESS. It sounds like you taught Snake everything he knows, or are claiming to have given him the advice in which to make his character.

Iv known him since launch he doesnt need anyones advice, he's been proving everyone about what does or doesnt exist or is or isnt possible even though yall still sit there grumbling through what is absolutely debunked and legitimately prooven, every single time some forumite comes out with junk they dont know and make a little crew to attack his character or flame a topic when he prooves it.

What he's achieved was achieved playing alone, and with what i last saw was "Snake Wildlife 312" logged in on test server, he takes no build advice even if you try :P I told him add ShadowStrike into his build and he near bit my head off.

The heck are you talking about? You drunk?
  • Options
    patternwalkerpatternwalker Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I leveled a tempest AT easily and within 48 hours without double xp, because I know what I'm doing.

Someone who's just picked up the game yesterday or last week would have faceplanted countless times in places I didn't even once, because they don't know the ins and outs yet.

This is very true. And it's not just true about skill in playing but also about skill in making builds. Freeforms are only automatically better than ATs when built by someone who knows what they are doing. CO is not easy to figure out for new players. Spec trees, powers, ranks, advantages, stats, superstats, slotted passives, energy unlocks, offense, defense, dodge, avoidance, resistances, and so on--all of which interact with each other in complicated and sometimes undocumented or incorrectly documented ways. AND if you could find a number in game that tells you what your resistances are, for example, you discover that it's Cryptic math and doesn't really work the way it seems it should. (But you can't find such a number anyway.)

The nice thing about the relative ease of CO is that it is new-player friendly. It's also "concept character" friendly.

I'd like to see some additional ability to scale challenges to players' tastes, but CO's use of open missions makes that complicated. Being able to turn off XP and allowing an option to scale (instanced) missions to player's level (or higher!) would be nice.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What is happening with characters that die quickly in alerts is that they are only playing alerts and only wearing the gear they got from Kodiak or the Gear Up mission.

I team with people all the time who are wearing under leveled gear, my gear is sometimes ten levels below my current level, just because

A)There's crap in the auction house

B) been teaming with lowbies for a dozen levels

C) super group banks FILLED to the breaking point with garbage gear that doesn't improve on what I got at a lower level. I often just log out for a few days once I have to deal with this junk on a few characters, it takes all the fun away.

D) been so busy in teams or character swapping for alerts that I haven't really had time to mess with my specs and gear

Besides some of these conditions new players:

A) don't know what gear to keep and what to sell and its absolutely no fun to manage this junk

B) they pull two or more groups of mobs

C) some idiot healer is pushing 35 points per tick, while five enemies are targeting one character at 250 damage per tick each.

D) nobody is using AoE, they target one thing at a time, leaving multiple enemies targeting a single player standing in every fight, that heavy hitter player drops, and all the squishies follow.

E) they target the wrong enemy, like some pet that was summoned and can be resummoned as long as the thing that summons them is alive or they target the "default villian" who does no damage and just pulls aggro and soaks their damage up while the real heavy hitters are hitting them heavy. Then the vets in the game will complain about that villain saying that he's broken, when his purpose is obvious, and yet they'll continue to target him first.

F) a couple of level ten to under twenty are in the alert, doing very little damage, never pulling aggro on themselves until the person who does the most damage is murdered. I can die, and get all the way through a museum, while I watch these lowbies take zero damage as long is someone that actually hurts the enemy is left alive meanwhile the enemies health bar does not change at all no matter how much effort the nubs are putting in, because the only other real damage dealer in the team is blocking.

G) there's a leech in the alert, and/or other players left the alert because of the leech and/or lowbies

H) Nobody blocks

I) nobody uses cover, ever, everyone just stands in place and gets murdered where they stand, in every team, in every alert. They are like Khan versus Kirk, two dimensional thinking.

J) They fly, slow as mud, their default control settings have them turning around slow as mud, their team mates are dead before they can see where the team mates are or what they should be fighting. Because their travel power is active heals on them are less effective and their energy building is slower.

K) they have no idea how to use energy builder and stand around waiting for enough power to attack. This is also probably the fault of the crappy defaults that require pressing the energy builder key every time their target is annihilated by someone else before they can charge and fire whatever attack they had in mind, an attack whose entire energy is wasted on a corpse.

L) Very often I see sigils cast just as the mob dies, and the next mob is a 100 feet off, and the person who cast the sigils, travels to the enemy, instead of pulling them into the minefield that are sigils. I'd say this happens 99.9% of the time with the grimoire.

M) not a single noob, and no vets that I've played with in two years since On Alert, ever pull to the cops for extra firepower, ever. I would probably wet my pants if I saw other players using strategy in this game.

N) nobody pulls the mob at all, they go into z group of bad guys and trigger a second mob or sometimes get knocked into a third group, rarely can the toughest character in the alert take that kind of damage.

O) some jerk that can solo mobs, runs off to do their solo thing and leaves the rest of us to handle mobs, without considering that the rest of the team might not be able to take the full force of each mob on their own.

There's probably other things going on, like laptop users with no mouse, people on 15 inch screens and default humongous UI scale, people being completely baffled by all the default damage spam on the screen who can't even tell what the hell is happening in a fight, people who can't read any help offered in chat because of all the default spam in there and more.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    D) nobody is using AoE, they target one thing at a time, leaving multiple enemies targeting a single player standing in every fight, that heavy hitter player drops, and all the squishies follow.

H) Nobody blocks

I) nobody uses cover, ever, everyone just stands in place and gets murdered where they stand, in every team, in every alert. They are like Khan versus Kirk, two dimensional thinking.

M) not a single noob, and no vets that I've played with in two years since On Alert, ever pull to the cops for extra firepower, ever. I would probably wet my pants if I saw other players using strategy in this game.

I got a good laugh when I read these. I've only pulled a mob to the cops for firepower once, because everyone else died. I usually get decent groups for Alerts, but every now and then I ge a group where I'm the tank, DPS, Healer, and support because no one else does it effectively.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't "pull to the cops" because I'm a bloody superhero. If I thought the cops could handle the threat, I'd be off chasing Grond or something.

And if using my character's reasons makes me a filthy roleplayer, so be it.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A lot of these aren't really errors.
    C) some idiot healer is pushing 35 points per tick, while five enemies are targeting one character at 250 damage per tick each.
    Not really the fault of the healer. He probably has sentinel aura or something. Targeted healing in CO is actually kinda difficult.
    While using AoE is usually better, if you can't afford to aggro entire groups single target attacks are a good way to not do so.
    E) they target the wrong enemy, like some pet that was summoned and can be resummoned as long as the thing that summons them is alive or they target the "default villian" who does no damage and just pulls aggro and soaks their damage up while the real heavy hitters are hitting them heavy. Then the vets in the game will complain about that villain saying that he's broken, when his purpose is obvious, and yet they'll continue to target him first.
    He's broken because his name is 'master villain default', not because of his powers (which I couldn't even name).
    F) a couple of level ten to under twenty are in the alert, doing very little damage, never pulling aggro on themselves until the person who does the most damage is murdered.
    That's not bad play; how are you expected to pull aggro when you don't have the tools to do so?
    H) Nobody blocks
    Unless you're dealing with lifedrain, or you've over-aggroed, there's not a lot of point in alerts.
    Cover works both ways; sure, it prevents damage, but it also prevents you from doing damage. Only use if it you need it.
    J) They fly, slow as mud, their default control settings have them turning around slow as mud, their team mates are dead before they can see where the team mates are or what they should be fighting. Because their travel power is active heals on them are less effective and their energy building is slower.
    At level 20+, combat flight is still faster than no travel power at all. Travel powers don't affect heals, and the energy building penalty is just not that substantial.
    L) Very often I see sigils cast just as the mob dies, and the next mob is a 100 feet off, and the person who cast the sigils, travels to the enemy, instead of pulling them into the minefield that are sigils. I'd say this happens 99.9% of the time with the grimoire.
    Not pulling mobs to sigils isn't an error; it's usually pretty useless to do so, since they tend to just stay at the edge of the field. Successful sigil dropping is hard without teleport, since sigils aren't that effective unless dropped in the middle of a spawn, and it's hard to drop sigils while aggressed.
    M) not a single noob, and no vets that I've played with in two years since On Alert, ever pull to the cops for extra firepower, ever.
    It takes longer to pull the mobs to the cops than it does to defeat them. Why would I do that?
    N) nobody pulls the mob at all, they go into z group of bad guys and trigger a second mob or sometimes get knocked into a third group, rarely can the toughest character in the alert take that kind of damage.
    I can think of very few situations in alerts where pulling is useful. Aggro management is good, pulling not so much.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I watched Eclipse rolfstomp loads of AT's today.

I could have helped, I didnt.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    And if using my character's reasons makes me a filthy roleplayer, so be it.

No one even said anything remotely close to that. Stop trying to be a victim.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    No one even said anything remotely close to that. Stop trying to be a victim.

He's roleplaying a victim. Thats deep.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    A lot of these aren't really errors.

Not really the fault of the healer. He probably has sentinel aura or something. Targeted healing in CO is actually kinda difficult.
    It's no help to use your low level heals when there's stuff to be killed.
    It's like trying to play medic in a zombie vinasion.
    While using AoE is usually better, if you can't afford to aggro entire groups single target attacks are a good way to not do so.
    Single target attacks leave up to four other enemies firing simultaneously even after you finish one of them off. Especially bad when the single target isn't the enemy with multi-target damage, stuns, knockback, and/or summons.
    He's broken because his name is 'master villain default', not because of his powers (which I couldn't even name).
    the complain I heard is not about the name but the fact he does 'nothing', but he is actively pulling aggro from the team. "Default" is his name, just like I had a character named Default and I saw Lady Default or Ms.Default in alerts the other day, you just can't see his blue and yellow long johns under his jacket and shirt.
    That's not bad play; how are you expected to pull aggro when you don't have the tools to do so?
    It's absolutely terrible for the characters who can pull aggro, even at low level, even if they are mostly a support character. I pull aggro when I'm behind a wall and healing myself and the other players are so useless that even if I stay behind cover the enemy doesn't forget about me. When a level 30+ can't pull aggro off a level teen something mind, you know those other players aren't geared up or something else is going on. So its 'bad play'to show up in Alerts that you can't be effective in.
    Unless you're dealing with lifedrain, or you've over-aggroed, there's not a lot of point in alerts.
    If you are taking damage, lots of damage, blocking can turn aggro toward the person dealing damage to that enemy, and if you are taking damage, lots of damage, blocking can add a precious few seconds to your life, then maybe the person(s) who died can get back to the fight and finish it, instead of the whole unblocking team wiping out and resetting the enemy health. I've seen this happen a bunch of times in Stitch in Time and Fatal Error, once people blocked we could finish the fight without fudging the whole thing.
    Cover works both ways; sure, it prevents damage, but it also prevents you from doing damage. Only use if it you need it.
    It does more than that, if you are holding aggro, the enemy is attacking absolutely nobody while you hide. Everyone is safe for the moment. Especially useful against enemies that stun, life drain, or use AoE/Cone attacks.
    At level 20+, combat flight is still faster than no travel power at all. Travel powers don't affect heals, and the energy building penalty is just not that substantial.
    Wrong. And many players I run into don't even know about ranking their travel power at 20+
    I regularly get a "Thanks, that's much better" for informing them.
    The default mouse sensitivity is terrible, flying characters can't see what they are doing, are always behind in attacks and re-targeting. I hate playing with them.
    Not pulling mobs to sigils isn't an error; it's usually pretty useless to do so, since they tend to just stay at the edge of the field. Successful sigil dropping is hard without teleport, since sigils aren't that effective unless dropped in the middle of a spawn, and it's hard to drop sigils while aggressed.

Wrong again. Sigils pull aggro, the enemy is busy with the sigil while the team gets some easy shots in. I often drop sigils, pull one mob, go to the next mob, pull them all back to the sigils, and clear the room. Or if they are a tough mob, enter door, drop sigils, shoot someone, run away, and listen to the bodies fall. Sigils are simple to use with acrobatics or super speed, flight in general just makes people useless sitting ducks. I've leveled at least eight grimoires to 40, and a great number of freeforms used sigils. Teleport is terrible with its 'oops I floated right past the enemy" action.
    It takes longer to pull the mobs to the cops than it does to defeat them. Why would I do that?
    Because you are wrong again. Back when smash alerts were the XP alerts, many an alert was failed because the team didn't have the strength to beat the mobs and the boss. It's not too much different now, with Alerts ending with seconds to spare because they fought everything on the central dias. It takes less than three or four seconds to pull mobs to the cops.
    Same case in Grabs, get withiin 100 feet, shoot, back up, the mobs come away from their close proximity to the patrol and other loiters. The cops do extra damage, like having a few extra noobs on the map.

Also if you can pull mobs to the respawn, you save precious seconds getting back to the fight if you get killed.
    This almost completely avoids making the boss guy run all over the alert chasing the DPS while the melee dudes can't get close to do damage. If you have the boss within 50 feet of the respawn, its easier and more effective to fight to the death (yours) than it is to block or have some fool waste precious time healing you.
    I can think of very few situations in alerts where pulling is useful. Aggro management is good, pulling not so much.
    Running enemies can't use their AoE attack on your whole team. Pulling enemies into a close group instead of one that is spread out allows team AoE to be effective. Getting enemies into a position that also allows for using cover, means that you take all the aggro, you can hide and wait it out while your team tries to get some damage dealt.

You must be one of those two dimensional thinkers.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    O) some jerk that can solo mobs, runs off to do their solo thing and leaves the rest of us to handle mobs, without considering that the rest of the team might not be able to take the full force of each mob on their own.

Remember that guy, whoever-they-were, that kept complaining that dps in the game was too high and op players were ruining the fun for non-op players? Now all of a sudden the op player is ruining it for the non-op players by not carrying them through the alert...

Honestly by this point I just do what I want, and if everyone else in the alert leaves I smile while I get to solo it with my character that has a build consisting almost entirely of attacks.

You wanna be a hero? Get super u3u
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I dunno what game you're playing, but success in CO doesn't require any of the things you mentioned... in fact all your "tactics" just slow everything down.

How to CO:

Step 1: Run in.
    Step 2: Beat up everyone.
    Step 3: Pose for cutscene camera.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Spinnytop SMASH!!!!!?

That would be my understanding of the way this game is intended to be played. Shut off brain, run forward, swing arms.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    That run in and hit things technique didn't work for any of the sub level 35s in the last twelve Smash runs I just made.

In each one with someone under level 35 , one or more lowbies got killed. So if the whole team was under level 35, they'd all wipe, repeatedly.

Also in every single one of the ...Recruiting drives, I had over 10,000 damage on the boss, and pulled the boss to stairs or the cops which allowed me to hit four enemies with AOE before the other four people dealt with just the three meanies at the stairs.

In one of those alerts, two infernos ticked off the mob behind the boss as I was pulling the boss to the cops, adding four enemies to the fight, and the infernos got killed twice each.

It's slower to run into the fight, get someone knocked into extra mobs and then have to deal out extra damage or block. It's slower to use single target attacks than AoE, its slower to use AoE on scattered mobs than a tight cluster. It's slower to rely only on a few lowbies for damage instead of using the cops for help. It's slower to use sigils at the last second and never do any damage with them.

Maybe your min/max build after playing for a year can solo alerts, but that's even slower than using a halfway competent team and is extremely boring.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, I just know what my characters can handle. Spending five seconds dragging the mobs over to a group of cops who have lower combined DPS than one PC is not a valuable use of time.
  • Options
    thatsfunnyhinkythatsfunnyhinky Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Instead of
    "You are out of stars, be a dumb##s and spend cash for absolutely nothing"

should say
    "It's time to go Freeform and stop sucking the dirt, your free trial of Champions Online expires in 7 days. No game is free kid. You think you're one of them? Time to wake up."

Remember how awesome it was when EVERYBODY was freeform?
    Quote Archer: "WOOOOO!!!!"
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I do agree that F2P had a lot of bad effects the way it was implemented. the AT system should have been more of a pay per powerset thing, choose a couple powersets to have free when you make the account, unlock more by paying for them.

I've never been a huge fan of Free-To-Play stuff simply because its not worth it to play for free. I played this game as a Silver and after a while you just think, "You know what? A lot of this crap would be better/easier/more fun with [Insert Gold Perk Here]. I should just go Gold."
This discussion has been closed.