test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devastator - self-heal combo?

nuka62nuka62 Posts: 6 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Power Discussion
i'm building a Devastator because this AT is jawsome, and i was wondering if this power/advantage combo sounds viable to anyone.

Decimate + Bludgeon w/ Until Morale Improves - applies Disorient

Cleave w/ Defensive Stance - grants Defiant against Disoriented targets

Enrage w/ Endorphin Rush - self-heal over time dependent on Defiant stacks and Constitution

is it worth my AP to take these advantages and use this combo, or is it too impractical to be of regular use? i'd like an experienced opinion before diving in headfirst
Post edited by nuka62 on

Comments

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Endorphin Rush should be a flat 6 seconds duration instead of scaling on Defiant stacks. This was changed back when they did re-did Forms; the tooltip was never properly updated. Con still does affect how much each tick heals.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah Defiant doesn't affect the duration anymore- its fixed now.

ER doesn't really heal for that much, but its 'free' healing (in quotes cause it still costs adv points) for doing what you already are doing- and as an AT is one of the few healing venues avail. I'd def pick it up for the Devastator, but dun worry about the Defiant synergy- cause its not there.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • nuka62nuka62 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ahh alright, thanks for the heads-up; wouldn't have known that without asking here first x.x
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This brings me to the question:
    How good is the devastator exactly? Isn't he like too squishy and slow? I mean, I have died far less with my disciple than the devastator.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited October 2014
    How good is the devastator exactly? Isn't he like too squishy and slow? I mean, I have died far less with my disciple than the devastator.

Its one of the better melee ATs imo, but that's kinda setting the bar a bit low. Disciple w/ siphoning mainly stands out cause of the monstrous self-healing that ATs like the Devastator can only dream of getting.

Even if the Devastator's self healing is still pretty weak (as w/ most dps-oriented ATs) and it lacks aggro control (again, see most dps-oriented ATs), it does at least get Con SS, and has basics like a lunge (or lunges), a setup that supports its energy usage adequately, burst dps, and CC.

Defensively, its actually worse-off mitigation-wise than even the blade or fist, cause Unstoppable is poop for survival and the others are at least dodge based (and can be quite heavy dodge-based). But unlike either of those, it can gear Con heavily w/o hitting its dps that much, and at least gets Brimstone at lvl 40 so it doesn't need to rely on melee cones for AoE anymore (plus has a bit better AoE options overall). By lvl 40 a Devastator can control crowds better than other ATs, while still doing good dmg to them.

Despite HW's having weaker single-target dps overall than avg, Devastator avoids this pitfall by simply being an AT- lighter passive dmg DR means its dmg can still be quite impressive.

So I'd say its good, but still leans towards the 'glass cannon' side of the spectrum despite the Con SS.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    Best thing you can do for survival on this AT is to take the Juggernaut spec and stat Con as heavily as you can.
    This will improve your hit points, defense and healing from the Endorphin Rush.
    Still, it will be a glass cannon AT.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, the AT can go splat easily, but I will say it's very satisfying how much damage it'll dish out before it goes splat.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I read the entire thread only to just now realize that we're talking about the AT, and not simply the powerset for an FF. I made a pretty good Devestator based FF a while ago and it did great.
    Best thing you can do for survival on this AT is to take the Juggernaut spec and stat Con as heavily as you can.
    This will improve your hit points, defense and healing from the Endorphin Rush.
    Still, it will be a glass cannon AT.

I agree with this. In general, if you find yourself being a bit squishy, gear for constitution and defense. It,s how I solo'd my to lvl.40 with an Inferno without dying a ton.
    edited October 2014
    bdragon4co wrote: »
    I agree with this. In general, if you find yourself being a bit squishy, gear for constitution and defense. It,s how I solo'd my to lvl.40 with an Inferno without dying a ton.

Yeah its true for all ATs, really- but ones like Devastator can do it w/o a notable dps hit.
  • patternwalkerpatternwalker Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How much of a difference would using the Armadillo secondary gear set from the Q-store make? The Devastator using Unstoppable isn't ideal, but the little bit of damage mitigation plus some damage resists would seem to be a decent strategy. If I remember correctly, it's a 25% damage resist for using the three. I know that's Cryptic math, but does it make a noticeable difference?
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, the Armadillo set would be a nice boost to the Devastator's survival. The 25-50% bonus is on the general resist formula that naturally decays- so the lower ur innate defense, the more an effect the set bonus will have on final dmg taken.
  • bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2014

There's a great review here: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4223321&postcount=17. This is an amazing thread in general...hard to stumble across because for some reason it's in the "costumes" section.