test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has the ability to carry other players been considered?

starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Suggestions Box
I used to play Perfect World, and in that game there was an option where you could request to carry someone or be carried. I thought it would be pretty neat to implement something like that into CO since everyone has different travel powers. Need to follow a speedster to your next mission but can't keep up? Ask for a lift. On a romantic date? Why not fly your lady to the highest rooftop and enjoy the view.

I couldn't find this topic in any recent suggestions and I thought it'd be an interesting idea.
Post edited by starflairex on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Bluhman

CO has too many different travel powers with different animations to made it feasible, CO also has adjustable body sizes (which means it is not even remotely doable to design an universal animation for it), also there are more important things to implement.

And finally, in CO everyone has TP so ability to carry anyone in flight is not very needed. If someone has no flight TP, then they can use a vehicle or a become device.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    CO has too many different travel powers with different animations to made it feasible, CO also has adjustable body sizes (which means it is not even remotely doable to design an universal animationfor it), also there are more important things to implement.

And finally, in CO everyone has TP so ability to carry anyone in flight is not very needed. If someone has no flight TP, then they can use a vehicle or a become device.

Or since you can have two TPs, should do the smart thing and have one flying TP and one ground TP. Honestly I can't think of any spot that can't be reached if you don't have a flying TP at all.

On topic: I wouldn't see it being a feature on CO. I play PWI like crazy and it is a neat feature, but it gets old fast.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *picks up a fellow player*
    [Press Z to throw] appears.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The game actually does have animations for carrying civillians. I believe at some point there were plans for you to be able to pick up and carry them out of dangerous situations.

Unfortunately what's long been a roadblock to this sort of system comes in two parts:
    1. Varying proportions. As you probably know, characters in this game can vary wildly in size, shape, height, and weight. While, ok, it'd be sensible to have only larger characters pick up smaller ones or whatever, that'd bring around some balance issues. And there's definitely some players (me included) that'd really enjoy having tiny people carrying around huge ones.
      That really isn't even getting to the heart of this issue: How would the animations on the two characters match up? How would the 'carrying' position look? Cradling the other person in your arms? Just hoisting the whole person over your head? Slinging them over your shoulder? Piggyback? In all cases, there's some issues to iron out with making sure that no grievous clipping or collision occurs for the hundreds of possible size combinations that can exist.
    2. Syncing. Between the two characters, how is the server really supposed to coordinate that the two are really together, without really making it look like a choppy mess on the client-side? Granted, PW must've figured out a good way to tackle the issue, but they also didn't have to contend with the wildly varying proportions or, much more importantly, the extreme potentials for speed.

A little less key than that, outside of RP, I wouldn't really see much of a purpose for it. The issue of 'not being able to keep up' isn't very key, considering how Travel Powers are all mostly identical in effectiveness.

What I could see happening is developing a special 'carrier' vehicle type. Very high defense and speed vehicles with few weapon slots and low offense. When active, people press Z to enter it, and they get carried along for a ride. They can press Z at any time to disembark. This has a few benefits:
    • Completely bypasses the issue of mismatching models to advanced carrying animations, in favor of just hiding them
    • Has practical applications: Vehicles have the potential to be much faster than characters. The high defense on the carrier can be utilized to provide protection for the riders (though they can't fight back).
    • And hey, superjets and stuff are a trope in Superhero media.
    That just leaves the syncing issue to try and iron out - and if they manage that, some piggybacking might actually become possible.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1. This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Bluhman

2. Behemoth + Savage = Fastball Special.
    edited October 2014
    Alright, just got that huge argument cleaned up.

Please keep the focus on the possibilities of fellow-hero transport - without too much in-depth analysis or regard for any subliminal implications it might have (???????)

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    Picking another hero and using him as a projectile for an attack kiiiiiinda could be doable.

Except this probably would be an attack power.

Probably it could be made only working with team members.

To made any syncing easier, a player used as a projectile should be disabled for the time when this attack is charged.

Of course it would need to root both players in place.

And, finally, player who's thrown would need to be put in a sufficiently "compact" crouching pose.

After, of course, all problems with potential rabid Marvel lawyers are solved. :biggrin:
    edited October 2014
    Throwing allies as an attack just reminded me of possibly the best weapon I've seen in any game so far.

• starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Your replies make a whole lot of sense. I feel silly for not taking those things into consideration at first. The dream is kinda shattered, but it was nice getting feedback from yall.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Syncing is a pretty huge problem; they can't really even handle players being moved in a consistent way by NPC objects (for example, an elevator that actually moves). I think most of their terrain objects are completely immovable -- the gears on top of the powerhouse, for example, may cosmetically rotate, but the actual terrain you can walk on is fixed.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The kind of calculation that is required is so simple that it hurts whenever Cryptic says they can't do it.
  • latheriusminionlatheriusminion Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i could see possible carry option in case someone in a party had their health reduced and instead of respawning all the way at the beginning of an area or outside of the building completely...they just get picked up and carried away from the battle to get revived. as far as animations from what i see if you lift up rubble or something to throw it the object isn't actually shown so you could just have your character using the same programing. this wouldn't be necessary if the other members of the team are healed and capable of moving on their own...just if their health is completely drained and they are laying there helpless and called for help. but i am sure if you were able to pick up a character you should be able to just go over and revive them too.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Multiflight would be neat, like a certain X punk was able to carry her buddies aloft , maybe that only happened in Secret World because of different gravity. It would still be a neat power.

How about a team catapult item that tosses everyone into the air and sends them violently to their destination?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ah Nice, this Thread is not a Tumblr/Battle-of-the-Sexes Battlefield like it was Last Night!

When I read the Title I though it would Vehicle related question, since Bike-Types Vehicle could carry another person!

Of course lifting other players like Emotes or Command would Also be welcomed
    1. Holding on Hands like a Princess
    2. Piggy Back Ride
    3. Sitting on shoulders e.t.c

all Unisex

It would be very Cute to see if it got made into game :3
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh please, that wasn't a battle of the sexes. Tennis wasn't involved at all. Or Civilization.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!