test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Didn't know

neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Champions online has been out since 2009. Obviously this game has staying power. Couple of question on this topic for the people who have been around for such a long time.

Question one: Is Champions Online the same as City of heroes was ? I never got to play COH.

second question: Since 2009, has there been any graphic updates ? Reason for this question is, the Graphics on this game are pretty good for what CO is going for, which would be a comic book type atmosphere. If there have been no graphics updates since 2009, what engine are they using ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Champions at release was an incomplete version of what they originally wanted CoH to be. However they aren't really that similar at all other than both being the same genre of MMO, same amount of similarity's than CO and DCUO.

They are using the... Cryptic... Engine... <_< And yeah CO's one isn't the updated version which NW and STO use now, also a lot of level design was much more rushed than they probably wanted. It could look a lot better as for modern day graphics goes. But for 2009 it has stayed pretty well, as do all more cartoony styled games, (COUGH TF2 COUGH WOW COUGH) It's the reason a lot of MMO's choose to go much more cartoony than they would like, so the MMO stays viable for modern day graphics for a longer period. For example games such as GW2 and SWTOR did this.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Champions at release was an incomplete version of what they originally wanted CoH to be. However they aren't really that similar at all other than both being the same genre of MMO, same amount of similarity's than CO and DCUO.

They are using the... Cryptic... Engine... <_< And yeah CO's one isn't the updated version which NW and STO use now, also a lot of level design was much more rushed than they probably wanted. It could look a lot better as for modern day graphics goes. But for 2009 it has stayed pretty well, as do all more cartoony styled games, (COUGH TF2 COUGH WOW COUGH) It's the reason a lot of MMO's choose to go much more cartoony than they would like, so the MMO stays viable for modern day graphics for a longer period. For example games such as GW2 and SWTOR did this.

Ah I see. Do you think they will release a graphics update to stay in competition with games like DCUO. I know they have had a graphics update after the release of the ps4 which in turn updated the graphics for pc.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    Ah I see. Do you think they will release a graphics update to stay in competition with games like DCUO. I know they have had a graphics update after the release of the ps4 which in turn updated the graphics for pc.

CO does not need graphic updates.

It could use some reworks for NPC body proportions and faces (but these can be done only with few new head models and tweaking body sliders), and maybe better comic book outline effects, but the way how it is stylised? It will age much slower than DCUO.

DCUO graphical update did not really add that much for PC users.

Realistic games age very fast. Stylised games age very slow. WoW is the prime example. It lasted for long, long years with no graphical updates precisely because it has very stylised graphics.

Another example is the first Guild Wars game. It was never updated and still looks very good precisely because it is not a realistic looking game.

There are some things CO graphical engine could use, like optimalisation (because for some people it's an awful resource hog plagued by memory leaks), but the graphics doesn't really need to be improved or dramatically changed.

Cryptic seems to be following this route with all their titles. STO and NW also have stylised graphics, albeit not in the same style as CO.
  • Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Whether he is trolling or not doesn't matter. The game will not grow into anything more than it is however staying power is something that CO does have. The graphics help this but pretty much solely it is the character creation that keeps it at a pretty constant small MMO player base that hasn't really changed size since on alert "hype" died down. It's gone up and down now and again as updates go and things people are interested in bring them to or back to CO for a few days/weeks/months.

They are running a rather low risk business model, keeping the game afloat probably until a new super hero MMO comes out that actually has modern graphics / same level of character creation / various ways to play the game like CO has unlike DCUO which forces one way to play. If this game doesn't come out in the next 5 years then I can see CO lasting out the 5 years and possibly only being shut down if it's current constant low yet efficient playerbase becomes inefficient and dips into too low numbers of people who aren't paying.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Whether he is trolling or not doesn't matter. The game will not grow into anything more than it is however staying power is something that CO does have. The graphics help this but pretty much solely it is the character creation that keeps it at a pretty constant small MMO player base that hasn't really changed size since on alert "hype" died down. It's gone up and down now and again as updates go and things people are interested in bring them to or back to CO for a few days/weeks/months.

They are running a rather low risk business model, keeping the game afloat probably until a new super hero MMO comes out that actually has modern graphics / same level of character creation / various ways to play the game like CO has unlike DCUO which forces one way to play. If this game doesn't come out in the next 5 years then I can see CO lasting out the 5 years and possibly only being shut down if it's current constant low yet efficient playerbase becomes inefficient and dips into too low numbers of people who aren't paying.

If you're presuming to speak for the entire population and generalize by saying that it's solely the character creator that retains players, then I can understand why you wouldn't care if he was trolling or not.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I completely agree with your DCUO statement. The reason I switched to Champions from DC is the lack of stuff to do when playing DCUO.

As far as the graphics of this game, I don't feel they are bad at all. Not only do the graphics give the game a comic book feel to it, the way the character, npc's and environment respond makes it seem as if things are truly alive in the game which is cool in my opinion.

As far as staying power goes, seeing that the game has been out since 2009, which I didn't know until recently, the game definitely has staying power. As long as the devs throw in new content from time to time, the game will last.
  • Options
    bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you ask me, this is how I see Champion's Online:

1. The Graphics are pretty good. I don't care about extreme detail because my PC can't handle it anyway. Besides, good graphics cant make up for bad gameplay.

2. The Character Customization is AWESOME. I doubt that other MMO's will be able to deliver as many character options as this game currently has, especially considering that a majority of those options are free and even if they cost zen, you can still save up enough questionite to buy them.

3. The Gameplay is great. This is the only MMO that I've played so far where you get to determine a large amount of your experience. Powersets give you a lot of ways to play the game, and freeform lets you do just about anything. Some power combinations are easy and some are hard. There are usually a variety of missions to choose from, so you don't have to do the exact same thing. Also, the community in this game is pretty good. Its mostly a cooperative game, so tensions are a lot lower and unlike most MMO's I've played, no one's constanty being a jerk.

EDIT: I should also throw in that is one of the few MMO's where you dont actually have to play with other people. I solo most of the time.

So that's my opinion. I do think that Cryptic should consider upgrading CO to the new engine. It would require a ton of work, but it would be worth it if they find enough areas to improve in. This game has a lot of potential.
  • Options
    dontaskdontask Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    it makes me laugh whenever people say the game will never grow into more it is now, when they've been saying the same thing for years, and more and more stuff gets added.

So true. They're all wrong. We'll always have new content- sometimes it just takes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get it.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, the game has staying power. Part of which is because we've reinvented ourselves a few times. On alert changed how 3/4ths of the game functions because of spec trees/gear changes/superstat changes. The vehicle update opened up an entirely new avenue of customization to mess with, and then got nerfed into the ground.

As much as people hate the rotating event concept, I feel like in the end it's pretty sound. When a new one pops up, vets come back to poke at it for a few weeks. It's a good way to make sure the outlying players keep coming back and checking up on things.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This game is not perfect, what game is. It's fun, but it can have some glaring flaws. Some of it's strengths are also it's weaknesses. This game is open to everyone. The character you make is not limited or excluded from anything. Every bit of this game can be explored by any type of character you make. That is both great and terrible. It's great because you get to explore and enjoy the totality of the game no matter what type of hero you are. It's bad because doing so leaves nothing new for any new characters you create. The only break in the repetitiveness is how you make your character. Whether choosing a new AT, or choosing new powers on a Freeform, you can alter how the game plays, from minor to drastic changes. This is where the RP aspect of this RPG really starts to shine, IMHO.

Focusing on your character's personality can help you choose powers and missions you want to do to fit your hero or vigilante, thus helping to increase the enjoyment of the game for you. If that's the kind of game you want to play. But that's one of the good things about this game, you get to make your own enjoyment. You want to be a social RPer, there are places you can go to sit and talk with others, and RP through chat. You want to be an active RPer, while some missions are required, most can be played on a pick and choose basis. And nearly all missions can be done solo, or with friends, so you can choose the missions you feel best suit your character. You want to be a min/maxing powerhouse in PVP, you can choose the powers you want and go wreck faces in the Hero Games, or at Ren Center. You want to be filthy rich, farm rare items and be a powerful AH trader. Your enjoyment comes from what YOU put into the game.

The biggest, and seemingly most common, problem I've seen is the game can get boring over time. However, and I speak from experience here, taking a break from the game, and coming back later can refresh and renew your enjoyment of the game. I bought a Life time Subscription very early on, and I still feel like it was a wise decision. I have never regretted it.

While this game is VERY different from CoX, and I enjoyed CO more, CoX had a lot of wonderful things about it that will be missed. And while DCUO has some great aspects to it, I still feel CO is the superior Superhero MMO. Though, I have always said if you take all the best parts of CoX, CO, and DCUO and combine them, you would have an unstoppable MMO. We don't mention Marvel Heroes because, well, what's to mention. It's BARELY an MMO to be honest, and it's not overly entertaining.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    CO could use a sliiiiight texture upgrade IMO - some costumes have a bit of pixellation if you zoom in close enough.

A lighting update would be nice too, but that's about it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    it makes me laugh whenever people say the game will never grow into more it is now, when they've been saying the same thing for years, and more and more stuff gets added.

Ooo I missed this one.

By grow into anything more I mean the game will never change from being the same VERY small MMO with a community of a few hundred on at a time. Content randomly being added to it is only to sustain the income money wise. The bussiness model is done currently so that it will never grow into anything more, if they tried to put more into it they probably think it will not turn a profit close to that of NW and most likely end up reducing their profit despite it being a riskier way to go.

It will never grow as in community or as an MMO. The stuff that gets added to it now and again is just to keep it sustained.