test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is anybody else being randomly silenced?

aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Gameplay Bugs
Or is it just me? I keep finding myself being silenced out of nowhere; just happened for the fifth time in two weeks. It's really annoying to be honest. I've already sent in a ticket (they're investigating), but I want to know if anyone else is having this problem?
Champions: @ace112233
Post edited by aceretriever on

Comments

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do you mean you get a message that you have been silenced for 24 hours?

That's our well-abused chat-ban system working as sadly intended. When other players either ignore you or report spam on you enough times, you get banned from chat for 24 hours.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Do you mean you get a message that you have been silenced for 24 hours?

That's our well-abused chat-ban system working as sadly intended. When other players either ignore you or report spam on you enough times, you get banned from chat for 24 hours.

Yeah, that's it! The silence begins when I'm offline, though. Could it be the players? I mean, I don't talk to anyone outside of my SG; I don't know who would ever consider to report me enough times for five silences, or even why they would do it. :(

EDIT: Then again, I do tend to hang around the same spots every time I'm on, so if someone wanted to find me they could do so pretty easily...
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do you actually get a message that you have been silenced though? I don't think that's really been established yet.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited October 2014
    Do you actually get a message that you have been silenced though? I don't think that's really been established yet.

As in the "You have been silenced for XX Hours, XX Minutes, XX Seconds" notice in the chat box? I get it every time I try to chat while silenced.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do you spam zone chat with items to sell. I can imagine that will get you silenced.

Hang around club caprice talking in local or zone chat? That will get you put on ignore as you distract people from getting their internet love life on.

X number of people ignoring you turns into a silence.

Were you the guy cursing your brains out while Trailturtle was present? I'd expect that to get you silenced to. But I'm pretty sure that was Tfasvwhathisname, and he kept cursing away about the flaws in the Megadestroid event and TT must have taken it as constructive criticism and made a patch instead of slapping duct tape over his virtual mouth.

Have a large super group? When I ran large super groups, that's when I got silenced. That when Obama won the election and I rubbed it in. Must have been some butt hurt Republicans.

Are you the guy in zone chat talking religion all the time? That might get you silenced to because nobody comes to a super hero video game to hear about the invisible sky fairy, unless Invisible Sky Fairy is looking for a team.
  • skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sounds like another has been touched by the Silence!

keep up the good work my silencers. You do this old man proud to have been the general who founded the one true order of virtual super villains in this game.

The Silence is real, and no matter who you are, where you hide, if you roam this world, it will one day take your voice to.
    edited October 2014
    Do you spam zone chat with items to sell. I can imagine that will get you silenced.

Hang around club caprice talking in local or zone chat? That will get you put on ignore as you distract people from getting their internet love life on.

Were you the guy cursing your brains out while Trailturtle was present? I'd expect that to get you silenced to. But I'm pretty sure that was Tfasvwhathisname, and he kept cursing away about the flaws in the Megadestroid event and TT must have taken it as constructive criticism and made a patch instead of slapping duct tape over his virtual mouth.

Have a large super group? When I ran large super groups, that's when I got silenced. That when Obama won the election and I rubbed it in. Must have been some butt hurt Republicans.

Are you the guy in zone chat talking religion all the time? That might get you silenced to because nobody comes to a super hero video game to hear about the invisible sky fairy, unless Invisible Sky Fairy is looking for a team.

Er... No, no, dunno who would ignore me, no, and no.

I don't talk in Zone. I've only been in CC three times and never could bring myself to speak. My SG is extremely small in population (around 10, I think). Heck, outside of SG chat, I rarely interact with anyone at all outside of the odd reply to a compliment or RP request. o.o

I don't think anyone has it out for me. I heard that the community isn't a fan of furries, but I doubt I'd be targeted just for that.
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If your going to talk smack about me... at least get my name right, and i was never silenced for cursing, I don't care anyways... It's just 24 hours. It's not like the game can IP bann me for saying a word.
    edited October 2014
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    If your going to talk smack about me... at least get my name right, and i was never silenced for cursing, I don't care anyways... It's just 24 hours. It's not like the game can IP bann me for saying a word.

I might get in trouble for getting your name right. It might look like shaming or something.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It could be just as simple as you pissed off somebody and he got his buddies to report spam on you.

Sadly, Cryptic is unwilling to do much to address the abusiveness of the system because of gold spammers. I will grant that it stopped them good here on CO. Unfortunately, it doesn't do squat to stop them on NW.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I might get in trouble for getting your name right. It might look like shaming or something.

You shouln't be mentioning names regardless,even if its partially, naming and shaming is a big no no.

As for OP, not sure why you are getting silenced, more then likely a few people may be ignoring you for their own reasons or the trolls in the game are at it again.

There was a period of time where I would get randomly silenced while hosting my own CCs, mainly because of the im-game trolls have nothing better to do.I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
    edited October 2014
    lilsteffie wrote: »
    You shouln't be mentioning names regardless,even if its partially, naming and shaming is a big no no.

You are not the boss of me.
    I've only been in CC three times and never could bring myself to speak..

I think its possible to execute a text file that sends report spam on any and all names harvested from the social UI in a location.

I'd explain how I think this is done but that's probably a bad idea.

Its been two years since I looked at the console commands but I seem to recall doing something to clear my ignore list. Or maybe it was to clear my friends list and then put the people that still play the game back in the list via automation.

Either way, it could have been your visits to the CC that got you on the troll hit list.
    But if that were so I'd also imagine more people to be effected.
    But then with only minuscule percentage of a small population ever showing up in the forums, who would know about it?
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You are not the boss of me.

Look at the word,... shouldn't.. its up to you if you want to. Either take advice or leave it.

I'm not forcing you to do anything, I'm just stating its wrong.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.