test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thanks for the Anniversary

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I just wanted to offer my thanks for a very full month of anniversary events and products. New missions, revamp of an old one, new costumes, new powers, new AT, bonus Q and XP, give aways, what have I missed? Was everything perfect? Of course not. Will everyone be happy? Ditto. Still, it was a lot to do and I personally had a great deal of fun. So, my thanks!

My one hope for next year is that Mechanon himself be more of a threat. I don't believe he even got me close to half down on my health. I could say more, and I'm sure others will, but limiting myself to one wish, that's it.
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I enjoyed nearly every aspect of this anniversary event and the Steel Crusade line of quests, particularly that of the Mechanon XL battle required something of a strategy (even burn downs of the six robots in phase 1, killing spiders and focused fire in phase two). There was a fine array of rewards available and a variety of places to go / things to do and the components overall felt relevant to eachother. I even enjoyed arguing with some people who were so eager to express the opposing view that it felt like they were complaining the entire time they were logged in (verbal PvP?).

For the future I would like to see:
    * A little more work on connection stability prior to such events (I didn't have much trouble even at full settings, but others did)
    * Better handling of edge cases (i.e., the issues Mechanon XL has with to many buff/debuff stacks or being turned into a bear)
    * Stronger consideration of wider involvement (non-vehicle survivability in this case proved a barrier to entry for a number of builds battling megas, and non self-healing builds could fare very poorly in the Cislunar mission even at recommended group size).

It is my hope that we see more large scale things like this in the future: Alien invasions, Grond attacks, etc. I consider this last month a wonderful step forward in making the game feel like a living, growing one rather then one that is stagnant.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I didn't go on CO once through the period.

Would love a change personally interesting enough to bring me back like balance / new powers / fixing hero games kicking bug. Too bad I can't see this happening in the current business model.
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have only negative comment:

Everything was pretty much perfect. Except.

The reward from the M.Destroid invasion was a little too less for all the hardwork in bringing em down. Even rampages give more.

But otherwise, imo the best anniversary so far...though i got a hawkwing interceptor AF as a gift last time.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My one issue with the event was having to turn all my settings down for the big Destroid attack to prevent crashing. Settings including:
    • Turning all AA off
    • Disabling Comic Outlines, DOF, and SSAO
    • Turning all detail distance to minimum
    • Turning all textures to minimum
    • /renderscale 0.3
    And then having to turn them all up. Keep in mind this is a system that plays stuff like Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite at max. detail and still hits 60FPS consistently (except when looking at a door. welp)

Combined with the whole possibility of griefing and shielding and whatever, I still contend that the event should've been a very very large Rampage. Like to the effect of Hamidon from ol' cocks; all the stuff gets put into a single zone/instance where no cars or griefers or horrible technical issues or hwatever get in the way. Despite that, though, the dudes I fought with usually were quite on-point, so good work!
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The reward from the M.Destroid invasion was a little too less for all the hardwork in
    That reminds me to comment... Not really happy about bind on pickup action figures as a possibility from the Mechanon XL kill. AFs are pretty much the worst thing possible to be BoP since they are useless duplicated and drop so rarely that grinding for a feeling of action figure collection completion is very unreasonable. Really only the henchmen I could have seen reasonable as being auto-bind (though they weren't), but definitely not the AFs.
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wholeheartedly agree. What Cryptic North did surrounding the anniversary is amazing work all in all. Like the new content a lot. Aside from the aforementioned gripes (BoP Action Figures and overall low drop rate) the event mission is a lot of fun.

Other than that I would love to see a change in theme for the next content. Maybe something less technology-based. If I could dream up something, it might be something like a travel to a planet with strange alien plant life or something similar. That way the space station could still be used as a Hub, but it would be different from the robot stuff we have really been getting a lot of lately.

Either way. Way to go Cryptic North. Excellent job.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The new event was great, the new missions were great. Having lots of things going on in the game made it feel very lively again.

Issues that should be considered for next event....

Griefing,..griefing...and more griefing.

Whether intentional or accidental there were too many powers available that a player could use to ruin the encounter for the entire zone. I'm not going to spell them out. But many of us experienced the result of their use.

Cosmic entities should be immune to these powers (and secondary effects) just like they are immune to holds and stealth.

Overall though - this was a very good show by Cryptic North. My fingers are crossed that Halloween is going have some new things to do as well! :D
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have to smile a little bit here. I can remember seeing comments from a few years back about how people would scream if there was one more supernatural themed piece of content :biggrin:

I will be interested to see what they do with the new Gateway area. It does suggest things to do with aliens though.
    Other than that I would love to see a change in theme for the next content. Maybe something less technology-based. If I could dream up something, it might be something like a travel to a planet with strange alien plant life or something similar. That way the space station could still be used as a Hub, but it would be different from the robot stuff we have really been getting a lot of lately..
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    At the time of that screaming, though, there'd been so many missions based around mystical stuff that you'd think they were setting up for the next mission hub to be a new UNTIL base in the Qliphothic realm. (So much of it was going on, I learned to spell "Qliphothic" without looking it up!)

This anniversary event had its issues, yes - I've mentioned them in the appropriate places - but overall it was a grand idea. I hope that next time, the issues are cleared up so more of us will have fun with it. (Sorry, folks, not much they can do about the graphics issues, apparently - that's been ongoing since the first time we could all fight Tacoface just north of Homestead. I think that fight contributed to my old laptop's demise.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    At the time of that screaming, though, there'd been so many missions based around mystical stuff that you'd think they were setting up for the next mission hub to be a new UNTIL base in the Qliphothic realm. (So much of it was going on, I learned to spell "Qliphothic" without looking it up!)

This anniversary event had its issues, yes - I've mentioned them in the appropriate places - but overall it was a grand idea. I hope that next time, the issues are cleared up so more of us will have fun with it. (Sorry, folks, not much they can do about the graphics issues, apparently - that's been ongoing since the first time we could all fight Tacoface just north of Homestead. I think that fight contributed to my old laptop's demise.)
    I wanna go there... I have massacred so many fire demons that I'm curious how powerful their real leaders are....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • coneuroniaconeuronia Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The anniversary was fun.

Loved the Double XP and Double Questionite events.
    Ran the new mission arcs a bit and found them quite enjoyable and gorgeous visually.
    Wasn't too enamored with the Mega-D events, if only because my characters tend to be squishy and being hit for 50,000 plus damage wasn't fun and didn't make me feel very heroic. I did manage to do better when avoiding the doom bubbles and so on, but still pretty hard to survive overall, though it should be noted that I ran this on a level 26 that's a bit of a glass cannon.

The side bonuses of the anniversary, like the free shuttles and costume pieces, were very nice.

Amelie Layclaire - Lightning and Wind (40)
    Solution Five - Gadgets and Subterfuge (40)
    Dodgeball Kara - Support and Ebon Ruin (40)
    Relentless Pursuit - Fire and Force (35)
    Rear Window - Homage - Icy Disposition (20)
    Teaming with @shottymario and hoping to meet you all ingame.
    edited September 2014
    coneuronia wrote: »
    The anniversary was fun.

Loved the Double XP and Double Questionite events.
    Ran the new mission arcs a bit and found them quite enjoyable and gorgeous visually.
    Wasn't too enamored with the Mega-D events, if only because my characters tend to be squishy and being hit for 50,000 plus damage wasn't fun and didn't make me feel very heroic. I did manage to do better when avoiding the doom bubbles and so on, but still pretty hard to survive overall, though it should be noted that I ran this on a level 26 that's a bit of a glass cannon.

The side bonuses of the anniversary, like the free shuttles and costume pieces, were very nice.
    team with a level 40 character and sidekick, then you'll take a lot less damage.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wanna go there... I have massacred so many fire demons that I'm curious how powerful their real leaders are....
    Fire Demons are to the Kings of Edom as firecrackers are to high-yield thermonuclear devices.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Wait so high graphics usage can spoil a CPU?

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wait so high graphics usage can spoil a CPU?

Heavy processor use increases power consumption which increases heat, in a laptop that heat can lead to problems faster than it would in a spacious PC tower, with a fan for the power supply a fan for the CPU and a fan for the graphics card.

Often fans get clogged with dust and don't operate at peak efficiency.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's been a great month. The metric I use for that are:

- there was so much to do, never a dull moment, it was a very full anniversary
    - friends coming back, helping them do content, they're happy to be back
    - new players coming, usually from other ARC games, they bring new excitement
    - the encore UNTIL Shuttle & cyborg costume set giveaway, some ppl missed that the 1st time

There's a different atmosphere in the game now, with all this stuff. Thanks, devs.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
    edited September 2014
    Heavy processor use increases power consumption which increases heat, in a laptop that heat can lead to problems faster than it would in a spacious PC tower, with a fan for the power supply a fan for the CPU and a fan for the graphics card.

Often fans get clogged with dust and don't operate at peak efficiency.

Hmmm I use an I7 laptop... I think I got a get that makeshift fan-pad ...

~me
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    New AT with rocket punch was most welcome but did you have to give everyone FREE TANKS...now everyone can tank spam :<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited September 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    New AT with rocket punch was most welcome but did you have to give everyone FREE TANKS...now everyone can tank spam :<

I still use my hawkwing B|

~me
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I still use my MacGyver in space Deathglider B|

Fixed that for you.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited September 2014
    Hmmm I use an I7 laptop... I think I got a get that makeshift fan-pad ...
    My laptop sits on a small box fan(mainly because the internal fan quit working and it overheats otherwise)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Kudos on the weekend events. It makes the game seem more active and gives that appearance that you care about your player base.

One quibble though... for the love of God, PLEASE STOP dropping AFs that are BoP. Some of us have none and some of us have multiples, all bound. :frown:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad