test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How many times have you run the new content?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
And what is your favorite new combat mechanic in the new content?
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »

I have a character who is a mechanic and he hits people with a wrench, he's called Combat Mechanic and he was my favorite part of killing brain robots.
    biffsig.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have a character who is a mechanic and he hits people with a wrench, he's called Combat Mechanic and he was my favorite part of killing brain robots.

giphy.gif
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2014

thank you, you can have 2 points for that one. It makes me feel a lot better about Bot-ulism, the plague carrying robot.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What new combat mechanic??
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • coneuroniaconeuronia Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    thank you, you can have 2 points for that one. It makes me feel a lot better about Bot-ulism, the plague carrying robot.

They should meet Bot U Lism, my beehive hairdo, glasses on tip of nose ex-wife of Bender from Futurama (unstated in bio, but that's the general idea >_> )

I haven't done the new content yet as it's not all on live.
    I'll give it a whole run through next week.

Amelie Layclaire - Lightning and Wind (40)
    Solution Five - Gadgets and Subterfuge (40)
    Dodgeball Kara - Support and Ebon Ruin (40)
    Relentless Pursuit - Fire and Force (35)
    Rear Window - Homage - Icy Disposition (20)
    Teaming with @shottymario and hoping to meet you all ingame.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited September 2014

once, but since i hadnt played sequential missions for several months now, thats still pretty impressive. might do another run tonight with my robot character, most interested i have been in new content since aftershock..how many years ago was that?
    and my favorite new combat mechanic was "actual new permanent content thats not about a scrub nobody villain with a dumb costume" its a mechanic i hope gets expanded, its a new mechanic i have been hoping for.:tongue:
    now if we were to get a plant powerset with some new mechanics, id be happy.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »
    once, but since i hadnt played sequential missions for several months now, thats still pretty impressive. might do another run tonight with my robot character, most interested i have been in new content since aftershock..how many years ago was that?
    and my favorite new combat mechanic was "actual new permanent content thats not about a scrub nobody villain with a dumb costume" its a mechanic i hope gets expanded, its a new mechanic i have been hoping for.:tongue:
    Poison Ivy FTW?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited September 2014

sure, while we shouldn't be limited by existing comic archetypes, it would be naive to say that strong established characters don't shape expectations. the other idea being that it was a power-set on the other two superhero mmos, so for those moving characters it would be nice to have. cryptic might want to look at how crowd control currently is in this game, though, since it tends to be expressed as a very control heavy power.
    edited September 2014

I'm gonna left Finn cover this one.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    What new combat mechanic??

PS - we've had permanent content since beta. Being permanent, on it's own, isn't actually a big deal if there's really nothing new about it.

If I took the bicycle you've been using for the past 10 years, painted it another color, and said "Here, a new bike! You can keep it"... would you be singing my praises? u.u
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I like the new mini boss in the second brain mission.
    that and the boss with precognition in the sewer mission.
    in answer to the question, 2 characters so far.

L20 squall solo. no probs, L31 tempest with a behemoth
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Only ran it once; I get a bit queasy running through levels designed as a being's insides. >_<

Didn't notice any new combat mechanics, though...
    Champions: @ace112233
    edited September 2014
    I'm gonna left Finn cover this one.

PS - we've had permanent content since beta. Being permanent, on it's own, isn't actually a big deal if there's really nothing new about it.

If I took the bicycle you've been using for the past 10 years, painted it another color, and said "Here, a new bike! You can keep it"... would you be singing my praises? u.u
    I know where you were going with it, i read your thoughts on it in the optimistic thread,and could easily figure the point of the thread. i was just being cheeky.
    that said, while we have had new content since beta, we sure as heck havent for nearly 2 years r minus one super linear one with an annoying enemy group and one kind of nice one. so i'll give points for improvement, besides, mmos are not bicycles, mmos are(under good publishers) updated regularly with new stuff to do, but can really only extend their mechanic so far. realistically getting new comic series like this gives me new art, new maps and some continuing story to use the mechanics that i have already lik...errr have made peace with as the best currently on the market, I cant say i have seen too many truly new mechanics in mmos , you kill 10 rats, collect 10 rat tails, walk to cheese pickup point/deliver cheese and kill micky the named rat, so it has been since everquest and so it will likely be. provided i get new art, lore and powers, i can live with that. besides, most "new mechanics" i have seen in various games have been more timesinks than fun new revolutionary improvements, if they have something radical and new, cool, but afer having countless iterations of stacking buffs and combo sequence powers in different mmos, i'd rather you dont try to impress me with something you lack the imagination/manpower to impress me with in the first place. making control more useful here would be a start. but for cryptic we keep expectations appropriate.
    it was enough to get me actually somewhat positive about this game for the first time in years..so thats something.

and no, some neighborhood bullies took the bike i was using for 10 years but i still had my backup bike, but it was looking neglected and rusty and i was getting sick of riding bikes because it was so clear that nobody gave a damn about the bike, and the other bikes weren't comfortable. but someone at least tried touch up the paint, and it kind of reminded me why i like riding a bike in the first place. its still not a new bike, no, but after years of negligence worse, bolting on extraneous and poorly thought out parts to the bike called vehicles and insistently putting the @#$%ing wastes all over the bike despite the fact that they made the bike less fun to ride, and affixing a coin slot to the horn with an attached lock box, a little actual paint went a long way.
    this metaphor brought to you by dalsim's school of supernatural streachability.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So, the point of the thread is to say that there aren't any new combat mechanics.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes. spinny doesn't know the meaning of the word "linear". :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited September 2014
    Is the bit where enemies would duplicate themselves new? Er... on second thought, I have seen enemies summon minions before, just not henchmen who make minions that are as powerful as themselves.

Oh and I hate fighting skull-rank enemies.... Allegedly they're scaled to your level, but... they seem harder than enemies that actually ARE your level.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited September 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    So, the point of the thread is to say that there aren't any new combat mechanics.

People seem really jazzed about the new stuff and I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I'm missing in it besides "new art". If you couldn't tell by the past couple weeks, I was really hype by the notion that they might actually get creative. I'm trying really hard to hold on to that hype. The community is helping that happen about as much as the content is.

Someone else mentioned "new stuff to do". That's what I'm trying to find here. The game already had "run down a hallway while blasting enemies who perform the most basic attacks" to do... in Westside.
    edited September 2014
    Don't pretend to be this oblivious. It's not charming.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm assuming people are excited because actual content is being made for the first time in forever. Content that isn't just some event that's going to disappear in a week or two.

Don't find it terribly exciting myself, but I don't play this game for the combat or challenge. This is my social game and the one I play when I just want to curb stomp the world.

I've gone through the missions 3 times and am almost 40 with the new AT.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    2 times.

Now I finally hit 40 with the Automaton and I'll run it for the third time just to see how this toon works at 40 lvl.

I did not expect any new mechanics to begin with. I'll wait for zero gravity.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just stand and laugh at the guy thats always on fire.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited September 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    I'm assuming people are excited because actual content is being made for the first time in forever. Content that isn't just some event that's going to disappear in a week or two.
    fetch this post a stuffed bear, they hit a bulls eye. this game was, from an mmo development perspective, dead and decaying for the better part of 2 years with a new dev team who were being wasted on content that was yanked off the servers in a short time frame, cryptic was acting like world class morons and you couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone how long the game was going to be stuck on a ventilator. could this adventure pack have been better, yes, from other mmo standards it was weak, but it was a dead game taking a few shaky steps. expecting them to make issue 24 is not realistic. now, did certain members oversell how much will be in it, sure, they always do, its part of their dogged charm. but even from a reasonable person's perspective its more life than we have seen in years and its a good thing.

also, heres the thing from my perspective, ever see those threads asking "why are you here?" notice how the vast majority of respondents say its because of the entirely superficial character creator? mechanics are nice an all, but dont knock art, mmos dont break a lot of ground and a strong visual freedom aspect draws a specific player. so how while mechanics are a part of a swhole gaming experience art and story do speak to portions of the community strongly, and this update has it. and not wasted in a stupid alert like the hi-pan fury of a dragon setting.

as i alluded to before, i have played a lot of trials for current mmos, and across the board, there isnt a lot of new mechanics to be had, and really the ones that try often get middling results . neverwinter plays like tera and dcou. and co plays like secret world and eq whatever plays like wow which plays like a good portion of the b-grade mmos and "swordsman". its just mmos are not a mechanically rich environment, mxo was kind of original and its also dead, and age of wushu tried a more reactive style of play and it was not very fun. so new mechanics are great when new and innovative people make them, but for your average workman-dev, id rather they just make the stuff i already like more and better animated. gimme age of wushu's clothes here? hell yeah, maybe some animations too, but lets keep the triangular wheels off my cart please.

im not fighting you really, i want to make that clear, i'd love to see co bring out some mind blowing new original mechanical content that reminds the market that it can hang some, but i'd also like some new zones but time has eroded my faith in cryptic to do much more than this, so ill just be happy they quit doing so very much less than this like they did for the vehicle hell years.
    edited September 2014
    I once experimented with using healing abilities on the people who are dying from the fire. You CAN heal them. BUT.... it's not the 0-health that KOs them but some sort of hidden timer.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, personally i don't noticed none new "mechanic" , but, somethings about the new content i enjoyed, like the fact of the "skull thing" enemies to adapt to your level, was to be really boring if they were just lvl 20 (for example) and you had already leveled your toon to lvl 35~40.

And other fact that i guess interesting is that many enemys have a knock down attack (in truth i'm not really sure if i liked or if i hated it XD), because, once you have to block many of these attacks, it makes the battles more interesting that just keep using random attacks and see the enemy dies
    edited September 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    Don't pretend to be this oblivious. It's not charming.

I wish I was. Then I might have run the new stuff more than once.
    edited September 2014
    also, heres the thing from my perspective, ever see those threads asking "why are you here?" notice how the vast majority of respondents say its because of the entirely superficial character creator?

I was actually here because of the freeform powers system, the travel powers system, and all the wealth of interesting combat scenarios that all that stuff implies.

It gets depressing seeing all the stuff they could be making... and then seeing them make yet another "bunch of enemies using a blast attack" encounter.

I guess most of you are just happy to have something new, even if it's just repainted stuff you've already been doing for years. I'm not asking for Onyxia here, I'm just hoping for something that goes beyond the tutorial.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wish I was.
    You wish you were charming? Yeah, I can see where that might be a sore spot for you...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited September 2014
    vinxbr wrote: »
    Well, personally i don't noticed none new "mechanic" , but, somethings about the new content i enjoyed, like the fact of the "skull thing" enemies to adapt to your level, was to be really boring if they were just lvl 20 (for example) and you had already leveled your toon to lvl 35~40.

And other fact that i guess interesting is that many enemys have a knock down attack (in truth i'm not really sure if i liked or if i hated it XD), because, once you have to block many of these attacks, it makes the battles more interesting that just keep using random attacks and see the enemy dies
    Yeah, I hate those guys, I had to take them out first or I was guaranteed to lose....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While I guess you can't call this a "combat mechanic" per se, I did think it was interesting how the nanobots upgrade themselves halfway through the mission.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can't play it.

I get a fatal error when trying to enter Louisa's brain. And, before that, the machinery is not drawn in on the first guy's brain.

I've tried full force verifying and deleting most files in Champs directory, but so far, no go.

Also, I started on my main (ofc he's a 40) and got the AT item to show up. I didn't try to create an AT until a couple of days later. And ... the AT option for THIS AT is not there.

So, I'd hoped for some new content to play. But I can't access it. This is on my home computer. I'll try again on my laptop when I go on the road again this week.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited September 2014

It gets depressing seeing all the stuff they could be making... and then seeing them make yet another "bunch of enemies using a blast attack" encounter.
    heh, if you dont want to erase this game off of your hard drive in frustration, its best not to dwell on what they could be making. co will never live up to its potential, it never got enough people and cash, worrying about what it could have been will send you away. its how i learned to stop worrying and love this bomb.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was having fun, until I had to go into the brain for the second time.

The inside of that map is pretty monotonous. Seems to me it needs some particle effects
    to give the impression we are inside a body and not just in a series of big pink fleshy tubes.

The first time I could laugh to myself thinking "Good thing they didn't use this flesh map for Socrates primary I/O port"', but then I ran out of jokes.

I got tired of ten minutes of scourge attack sounds, that's the danger of running solo, there's no variety in the game sounds and effects. Gooosh gooosh chain goosh goosh chain!

Maybe the lack of music did it.

Loved all the screaming in the streets, that was hilarious. It's nice to see the fire extinguisher item mechanic being-used.

I like the 'grid bugs', are those pets for the new AT? They should be.

The Celestial looking robot faces are cool to, and they give good fight. I had to do a bit of retreating now and again, and use health packs and my self heal more than I do with the usual content, now I guess I should find gear that's my level instead of whatever scraps I'm wearing.

Do people even know about this content?

9:20pm server time, and there's six people total in both brain maps.

About 250 people in Millennium City, zero response to get a team for the content.

When I ask if everyone knows about the new missions, sure enough I find someone who doesn't out of all the lack of reply.

Maybe giving it to Defender, who is behind a wall of text with picture boxes after new players enter the game wasn't a good idea.

Also this brain mission with two legs is a terrible idea. If I finish one brain, get bored of solo play, find a team, they still have to finish the first brain. that already bored me to continue together.
    Who on the dev team thought that 20 minutes in the same environment would be fun? This is exactly what killed Vibora Bay.
    Variety is the spice of life.

Maybe its fun in a team, I dunno, can't find one.

Maybe this should have been added to the alert content that people actually que for. Took ten seconds to get into a grab with a full team. An hour of no team for new content.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I played through it three times to get perks on the toons I wanted it on. I stopped playing because there is no reward for doing so. New content can't survive if there isn't some goal to reach. What do you think happened to Until Sky Command when it was first released? No one played that because there were no rewards. Cryptic keeps shooting Champions in the foot when they actually invest into it because they don't follow their content building policies that they apply to their other games.

Players will play when they find out what the Mechanon points are for, but only IF those rewards are enthralling.

The joy of a random chance drop will be lost on this content.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    heh, if you dont want to erase this game off of your hard drive in frustration, its best not to dwell on what they could be making. co will never live up to its potential, it never got enough people and cash, worrying about what it could have been will send you away. its how i learned to stop worrying and love this bomb.

Patently untrue, at launch it totally got more than enough people and made tons of cash.

Almost all of which in the years since has been siphoned off to make first STO, and then NW.

Atari hurt Champions online very badly too.

When the deal to sell to PWI was in the works, they had tons and tons of 60 day time cards [Atari Champions Online time cards mind you] made and distributed all over the place, and now available for cheap. real cheap.. every time someone buys those, they are giving that sub money to Atari, rather than PWI and thus the current Champions Online coffers.

Atari not only "Took the money and ran" when they sold Cryptic to PWI, they also gutted Champions future revenue stream towards themselves, leaving PWI and cryptic in the sorry situation of owning a game that much of the sub revenue for, was going to the previous publisher. Because Modern Atari are complete EA level asshats.

I'm glad they helped get Champions made, but after that, they screwed everything up as much as they could without actually tanking the game.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I smell your bait but I ain't biting.

I have done the new missions twice!
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I did it once. Why? A couple of reasons but none of which this thread is baiting for.

1) I was busy rolling alts which I always do during double XP when I'm aware of it. Gives them a nice headstart.

2) I WAS going to run it more but it has a cooldown timer. I'm not a fan of those and avoid much of the content in the game that tells me how much I can play. I'm fine with a cooldown on rewards, but I expect to be able to play as much as I want on games that I bought, and I bought this one...several times.

3) No way to consolidate the rewards. I was going to run this on several different characters but...then I'd have a bunch of tokens spread out across 65 characters. If this works like things in the past have it'll mean that I 'collectively' have enough tokens for some cool stuff but since they're stuck isolated on different characters I can't use them. I much prefer a unified resource system like a few other MMO's I play or failing that a means to stick ALL tokens in the hideout bank like we can do for Gold and Drifter Salvage

4) I'm a binger. When I sit down to watch a TV series I prefer to wait until I can watch a few episodes (or seasons) all in one or a handful of sittings. So part of me wants to wait until the whole thing is out so I can keep going...especially if there's going to be a timer involved.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Some or all of it every day.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    iamrune wrote: »
    When the deal to sell to PWI was in the works, they had tons and tons of 60 day time cards [Atari Champions Online time cards mind you] made and distributed all over the place, and now available for cheap. real cheap.. every time someone buys those, they are giving that sub money to Atari, rather than PWI and thus the current Champions Online coffers.

Atari not only "Took the money and ran" when they sold Cryptic to PWI, they also gutted Champions future revenue stream towards themselves, leaving PWI and cryptic in the sorry situation of owning a game that much of the sub revenue for, was going to the previous publisher. Because Modern Atari are complete EA level asshats.

First off Champions Online represented millions of dollars in losses to Atari from 2010 to 2011.
    Cryptic Studios generated $22 million but lost $25 million for the parent company. They paid $26.7 million for the company in 2008. They sold the studio for $50 million, they barely broke even.

You have any evidence of your claim about the game cards, Like a receipt for one of these things from the past three years that shows the charge of $12,99 being collected by Atari Corp instead of some third party vendor that paid only a percentage of the face value of the card?

In making a deal to buy the studio I'm sure PWI didn't leave an opening for Atari to profit for years from a bunch of 60 day time cards. The value of all remaining cards on the market was likely put into the sale price. The extremely low population of the game and Trailturtle's claims that the game is doing well financially certainly doesn't support the idea that these time cards are in such extensive use that they put the hurt on income.

When Atari 'took the money and ran" they had to pay other people the money, they didn't keep it. Oh look they filed for bankruptcy again at the end of 2013. Obviously they didn't make enough money from these time cards to keep their heads out of the deep end for two years after selling of Cryptic Studios.
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You wish you were charming? Yeah, I can see where that might be a sore spot for you...

You're cute when you try to be clever. Like my grandpa trying to work an iPhone.

xydaxyda wrote: »
    I smell your bait but I ain't biting.

I have done the new missions twice!

You don't have a mouth to bite it with anyway. What would you respond with? Anything other than a rebuttal to the point I'm making as evidenced by every response in this thread.

I have plenty of space on my hard drive (I actually keep all my games on a terabyte external).

The argument that they don't have enough people or cash is garbage. They had enough people and cash to make all this content right? Oh, but the second it came time to make the combat a bit more interesting they suddenly ran out of money and manpower? You serious? In a game that calls itself "actiony" they forgot to budget in a little bit of time and money to develop the action?

I keep the game installed because I'm going to keep playing now and then. I don't know what that has to do with the fact that they need to start getting a bit more creative with their encounters. And yes, it's a fact that they need to get more creative; everyone's been having a lot of clever sarcastic fun in this thread, but you'll notice not a single person has actually attempted to challenge the notion that there is nothing mechanically new or even vaguely interesting about the new content. Because they can't. Even the most hardcore fanboy has nothing to respond with, other than "they don't need to do that because the game has a costume editor".

I want to disagree with people who call this game a "glorified dress up game". I'm a fanboy, I want to defend the game, but I have a hard time making up stuff and being dishonest about it.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okay, here's your challenge: Content can be interesting without being mechanically new. For example, would you bash on chess for not inventing new pieces every year? Or novels, for not inventing new ways to present words on paper?

The new content is well done. It's not ground-breaking in terms of game mechanics, but that's not a problem - I'll take a bit of new story, and some new enemies to fight, and some new environments to be in, and be quite happy with it, thanks.

And here's a question for you: you keep harping on "new mechanics" as if this was some sort of obviously vital thing. What sorts of new mechanics would you suggest?
  • deadhieldeadhiel Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    TBH I didn't see much in the way of "new" mechanics :) It appeared that apart from increased HP's on certain mobs (little spidery things and the upgraded version of mobs) was the only difference to standard mobs encountered in missions.

I had an easier time using my new Reawakened Automaton, (chest beam spam) than my level 40s? though the 40's had a lot more flexibility (read: real self heals) plus challenge was set to elite ^^

As far as different mechanics go.. it would have been interesting if they were invul (until we get a visual queue), used animated/charged aoe abilities when invul forcing us to evade incoming attacks, were vulnerable to electricity / water powersets (theme'y & would encourage teaming..)

Just giving high HP's isn't very inspiring but overall I liked the new missions.. Run it with four toons sofar, 3 of my lv40's and the new RA archtype.
    edited September 2014
    morigosa wrote: »
    Okay, here's your challenge: Content can be interesting without being mechanically new. For example, would you bash on chess for not inventing new pieces every year? Or novels, for not inventing new ways to present words on paper?

The new content is well done. It's not ground-breaking in terms of game mechanics, but that's not a problem - I'll take a bit of new story, and some new enemies to fight, and some new environments to be in, and be quite happy with it, thanks.

And here's a question for you: you keep harping on "new mechanics" as if this was some sort of obviously vital thing. What sorts of new mechanics would you suggest?
    Maybe a level with destructible floors above the real floor? Which kills you if you touch it? And enemies that can make flyers fall? :D

@DeadHiei: water wouldn't make sense as you're theoretically inside a person. Actually now that I think about it.... it should be a swimming map. You should be swimming in cerebrospinal fluid.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The game isn't a platformer, but that's not to say that certain simple platforming mechanics *can't be introduced to provide a sort of challenge that doesn't just involve hitting something until it breaks. Cybermind alert comes to mind as one example. Lo Pan's alert with the yin-yang is another.
    edited September 2014

I have plenty of space on my hard drive (I actually keep all my games on a terabyte external).
    it was about finality rather than space
    The argument that they don't have enough people or cash is garbage. They had enough people and cash to make all this content right? Oh, but the second it came time to make the combat a bit more interesting they suddenly ran out of money and manpower? You serious? In a game that calls itself "actiony" they forgot to budget in a little bit of time and money to develop the action?
    nonsense, it took them 8 months to get us this we are happy because we got something, not that we got something amazing, distinction is needed, it s a solid b- from a student that has consistently failed for years, keep perspective here, its not a new zone or a full power-set either, but standards for cryptic and pwe freemos need a curve. but its better than we have seen for 2 years, that's it.

If they had more money, and more people they could have done more, that's pretty obvious from the fact that it took this long to make what currently is here, the very lack of new mechanics or a real number of new powers proves they didnt have a dedicated power designer..and its funny because they hired arbiter hawk from coh, a guy who made some really clever power-sets...and promptly put him on sto , i'd be willing to wager that co doesn't have a dedicated power designer anymore at all.[/QUOTE]
    I keep the game installed because I'm going to keep playing now and then. I don't know what that has to do with the fact that they need to start getting a bit more creative with their encounters. And yes, it's a fact that they need to get more creative; everyone's been having a lot of clever sarcastic fun in this thread, but you'll notice not a single person has actually attempted to challenge the notion that there is nothing mechanically new or even vaguely interesting about the new content. Because they can't. Even the most hardcore fanboy has nothing to respond with, other than "they don't need to do that because the game has a costume editor".
    i dunno that anyone has been saying it was that amazing, its better than the last few years seems to be the more consistent theme, that's it, it disappointing in lots of ways, but a little is better than 2 years of nothing.I
    don't think anyone is going to argue that its amazing , but, and here is the big but, its a step in progress, we got cryptic north a while ago, they got their feet wet making the "events of last year, but they were mostly impermanent and somewhat shallow, but they were learning the system, then we got fatal error perm, but had issues, the enemies were more annoying than fun and the first map was a pair of parallel hallways. the second mish was better and showed growth, and this showed that taking three quarters of a year, they can make something approaching the quality of the old adventure packs, but its a stage of evolution. so its not amazing in itsself but its evidence that they can produce more than they were. maybe next time they will have some new mechanics, but you know, its evidence of growth, and that's something this game has been missing for a long time. its more than before
    I want to disagree with people who call this game a "glorified dress up game". I'm a fanboy, I want to defend the game, but I have a hard time making up stuff and being dishonest about it.
    i wouldn't argue against it, lets all be adults here, the customization is literally the only comparative advantage the game has over other games, disagreeing with that is being dishonest. if you are trying to get people to play its better to let them know what they are getting into rather than sugar coating it, you an pick your look and powers more than other games, but there really isnt that much depth and balance is totally broken. for those that that works for, they will enjoy the game and stay with it, but if you are telling hardcore pvpers or endgame raiders to come here, thats not really the best fit. Dress up is kind of it for now, maybe, just maybe pw will let us keep a few cryptic north devs here when they start putting them on making content for star trek and nw, and the game will grow a little, and they are showing some proficiency, thats what people are happy about, not that the game is undergoing some sort of Renaissance.
    edited September 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The game isn't a platformer, but that's not to say that certain simple platforming mechanics can be introduced to provide a sort of challenge that doesn't just involve hitting something until it breaks. Cybermind alert comes to mind as one example. Lo Pan's alert with the yin-yang is another.
    I was thinking of something they could do that I haven't seen, but it was mainly a joke. :P

In the NON-joke news... I just found something that may BE a new thingy! The quest where you spray people with the ice spray? some of the potential immolation victims are PURPLE GANG! YES!!!! You get to save minor criminals from Mechanon! I don't remember quests that included saving villains from other villains before.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It was fun. I got to feel like a superhero again!

(A superhero machine gunning robots down like John Rambo vs the Terminator, but still.)
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It was fun. I got to feel like a superhero again!

(A superhero machine gunning robots down like John Rambo vs the Terminator, but still.)

Hey! I've missed you, shoot a hello in game or shoot me an email!

Also, I've run this at least four or five times. on a few alts.. mostly I've been leveling up my Automaton.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Got it started last night, on my laptop.

Couldn't do it on my home desktop as Louisa's brain causes my game to crash with a fatal error there.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited September 2014

Bad example. This is more like if they came out with a new chess board with different colored pieces, but changed all the pieces to pawns thereby not even using all of the mechanics that the game already had available. And yes, in this situation that mirrors what's going on with this new content, I would in fact point out that it was a bad idea as I'm sure many others would.

Novels inventing new ways to present words on paper would have more to do with graphics, which I didn't mention. Another bad example.

It's well done in a visual sense and that's it. It's not ground-breaking in terms of anything, whether it be mechancis, visuals, story, anything.

Where are the new enemies to fight? Oh, you mean the repainted ones? They're not new, they just look different. If that's all it takes to make you happy, imagine how happy you would be if they were actually new in some way beyond visuals? Really think about that.

Go ahead and look up any of the many posts I made in the suggestions forum over the years regarding both new mechanics and interesting ways to implement existing mechanics. You picked the wrong thing to call me out on there, lol.
    deadhiel wrote: »
    TBH I didn't see much in the way of "new" mechanics :) It appeared that apart from increased HP's on certain mobs (little spidery things and the upgraded version of mobs) was the only difference to standard mobs encountered in missions.

I had an easier time using my new Reawakened Automaton, (chest beam spam) than my level 40s? though the 40's had a lot more flexibility (read: real self heals) plus challenge was set to elite ^^

As far as different mechanics go.. it would have been interesting if they were invul (until we get a visual queue), used animated/charged aoe abilities when invul forcing us to evade incoming attacks, were vulnerable to electricity / water powersets (theme'y & would encourage teaming..)

Just giving high HP's isn't very inspiring but overall I liked the new missions.. Run it with four toons sofar, 3 of my lv40's and the new RA archtype.
    Maybe a level with destructible floors above the real floor? Which kills you if you touch it? And enemies that can make flyers fall? :D

@DeadHiei: water wouldn't make sense as you're theoretically inside a person. Actually now that I think about it.... it should be a swimming map. You should be swimming in cerebrospinal fluid.
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The game isn't a platformer, but that's not to say that certain simple platforming mechanics *can't be introduced to provide a sort of challenge that doesn't just involve hitting something until it breaks. Cybermind alert comes to mind as one example. Lo Pan's alert with the yin-yang is another.

Look how easy it is to think up things, and these people were neither being very serious about it nor where they being handed paychecks to do it. Really too much to ask?

it was about finality rather than space

There is no finality unless I move to a region of the world without internet access. My connection is fast enough that I could download CO and have it running in fairly short order. That said, I don't put any value in the "symbolism" of uninstalling CO, especially because it would get in the way of the fact that I log in now and then. Soooo....yeah. That's that.
    nonsense, it took them 8 months to get us this we are happy because we got something, not that we got something amazing, distinction is needed, it s a solid b- from a student that has consistently failed for years, keep perspective here, its not a new zone or a full power-set either, but standards for cryptic and pwe freemos need a curve. but its better than we have seen for 2 years, that's it.

I would have been much happier if they had taken a month out of that to spend on combat mechanics. Yes, we might have gotten less sheer volume of content, but the quality of what we did get would have been much better and would have had replay value. When the newness of content is strictly story/visual, then the replay value is gone after you've seen it once.

I don't get a free pass on my class assignments and I'm paying to produce them. Why do these guys get a pass when they're being paid?
    If they had more money, and more people they could have done more, that's pretty obvious from the fact that it took this long to make what currently is here, the very lack of new mechanics or a real number of new powers proves they didnt have a dedicated power designer..and its funny because they hired arbiter hawk from coh, a guy who made some really clever power-sets...and promptly put him on sto , i'd be willing to wager that co doesn't have a dedicated power designer anymore at all.

They don't need some special amazing guy to improve these fights. They could snatch anyone out of this thread, sit them down, and ask them "how could we improve these fights?" and I guarantee you that person would be able to improve them. Then it's just a manner of budgeting some time in for implementing those mechanics. Again, less sheer volume of content, but greater quality.
    i dunno that anyone has been saying it was that amazing, its better than the last few years seems to be the more consistent theme, that's it, it disappointing in lots of ways, but a little is better than 2 years of nothing. I don't think anyone is going to argue that its amazing , but, and here is the big but, its a step in progress, we got cryptic north a while ago, they got their feet wet making the "events of last year, but they were mostly impermanent and somewhat shallow, but they were learning the system, then we got fatal error perm, but had issues, the enemies were more annoying than fun and the first map was a pair of parallel hallways. the second mish was better and showed growth, and this showed that taking three quarters of a year, they can make something approaching the quality of the old adventure packs, but its a stage of evolution. so its not amazing in itsself but its evidence that they can produce more than they were. maybe next time they will have some new mechanics, but you know, its evidence of growth, and that's something this game has been missing for a long time. its more than before

I don't know about you, but I seem to remember that we were past this point already... you know the "aw they're new, just give them some time" phase. I remember after that we got some content that was pretty good. If we're at this point again, that means we went backwards, which means it's not a sign of progress... it also means that when we were here the first time, that wasn't a sign of progress either. How long are we going to keep saying "they're new, it's okay, the content can be lackluster, we'll keep cheering"?
    i wouldn't argue against it, lets all be adults here, the customization is literally the only comparative advantage the game has over other games, disagreeing with that is being dishonest. if you are trying to get people to play its better to let them know what they are getting into rather than sugar coating it, you an pick your look and powers more than other games, but there really isnt that much depth and balance is totally broken. for those that that works for, they will enjoy the game and stay with it, but if you are telling hardcore pvpers or endgame raiders to come here, thats not really the best fit. Dress up is kind of it for now, maybe, just maybe pw will let us keep a few cryptic north devs here when they start putting them on making content for star trek and nw, and the game will grow a little, and they are showing some proficiency, thats what people are happy about, not that the game is undergoing some sort of Renaissance.

You might as well have posted a picture of a Game Over screen.
    edited September 2014
    There is no finality unless I move to a region of the world without internet access.

fingers+crossed.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is no finality unless I move to a region of the world without internet access.

fingers-crossed.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods