test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO Lore Document

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I've shared this link elsewhere, but I've been a little hesitant to let this out into a wide audience. This is a compendium of some of the baseline lore behind the game, along with a lot of advice for role-playing in CO. There have been numerous requests over the years for game lore to be more widely available, hopefully this helps fill that informational void a little.

As I mention in the document, this is *NOT* a substitute for the commercially available books. If you like what you see here, please consider purchasing from Hero Games. That said, the document covers a fair bit of territory, so if Hero or Cryptic feel it's an infringement, it will be taken down.

The link is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHmfdC4jXPpOXNPQW5NZ1o2SzA/view?usp=sharing

Please note that anything labelled "Opinion" is just that, and not canon. Furthermore, people should feel free to ignore the information as they see fit, this is not meant to be a straightjacket. Much of the book is intended for an audience of Champions Online RPers, and can be ignored by non-RPers who are merely interested in the setting.

If you have problems with the link, let me know. I've had trouble with links on Google Drive in the past.
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As someone who encouraged canadascott to share this document here, I'm delighted and grateful that he did so, and accept a share of the blame if Hero or Cryptic doesn't want it posted. What I've heard from various players suggests a demand for something like this, particularly with the Champions Online Wiki still largely out of the picture.

As Scott says, this document doesn't replace the Champions PnP books as a lore source. It's really only a survey, but a broad and well-organized one. If you don't know much about the world of Champions Online but want to know more -- either out of curiosity or a desire to anchor your characters to the setting -- this is a very good introduction.

I'd also like to point out that Scott Bennie has excellent qualifications for writing this primer. Not only is he a veteran of Champions Online, and has over three decades of experience with the Champions tabletop RPG; he's also one of the longest-standing and most prolific authors of Champs PnP source books, and other RPGs. No small amount of what you see in CO is derived from his work.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Always a good read. I was trying to find this again in the past to show a few friends who were trying to figure something out lore wise. I do wish there was more lore involving Dr. Moreau and the Manimal race. While yes it is based off a real book and even made into a live action movie, I have to search high and low for information about this lore for a few of my characters (including my main) due to them being part of the Manimal race and it has provided a challenge to come up with a story that would make sense with the current lore. So far I haven't had any issues to what stories I have come up with so I must of done a good job with them without breaking off Champions lore that much.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not a roleplayer, but I still think this is perhaps the most interesting and fun fan contribution to the CO community I've seen.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You have my thanks and applause for this well written primer on Champions lore.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ive loved this since i found it a few versions back. in my opinion this should be stickied and linked via ARC for new players.
    edited September 2014
    drgmstr wrote: »
    Always a good read. I was trying to find this again in the past to show a few friends who were trying to figure something out lore wise. I do wish there was more lore involving Dr. Moreau and the Manimal race. While yes it is based off a real book and even made into a live action movie, I have to search high and low for information about this lore for a few of my characters (including my main) due to them being part of the Manimal race and it has provided a challenge to come up with a story that would make sense with the current lore. So far I haven't had any issues to what stories I have come up with so I must of done a good job with them without breaking off Champions lore that much.

For anyone who has questions about the lore of the Champions setting, please keep in mind that this Champions Pen and Paper sub-forum is an excellent place to post them. CO draws from the PnP tabletop game for its background, and the two versions of the setting are at least 90% in synch with each other; but the PnP vastly expands on what you see in the MMO.

Those like myself who are familiar with that lore will be happy to answer questions, within the bounds of Fair Use in transcribing the IP. At the very least we can refer you to source books detailing the subjects you're interested in.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bulgarex wrote: »
    For anyone who has questions about the lore of the Champions setting, please keep in mind that this Champions Pen and Paper sub-forum is an excellent place to post them. CO draws from the PnP tabletop game for its background, and the two versions of the setting are at least 90% in synch with each other; but the PnP vastly expands on what you see in the MMO.

Those like myself who are familiar with that lore will be happy to answer questions, within the bounds of Fair Use in transcribing the IP. At the very least we can refer you to source books detailing the subjects you're interested in.

I would gladly appreciate any lore you can tell me about so I can edit my characters accordingly so that I do not cause any loop holes within the PnP and CO universes.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is fantastic! Thanks much!
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    This document can be actually useful also for regular PnP sessions.

Give your players a quick and dirty explanation of the setting.
    edited September 2014
    drgmstr wrote: »
    I would gladly appreciate any lore you can tell me about so I can edit my characters accordingly so that I do not cause any loop holes within the PnP and CO universes.

Feel free to post a thread, or send me a Private Message. :smile:
  • mirrormirortashamirrormirortasha Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am running a chat room rpg ith my friend that takes place in the Champions Universe but uses the classic d100 marvel rules.

Lore Question: Is Dr Yin Wu and Hi Pan the same person?

I've also noticed a lot of discrepancies between lore in the online game and in the books...like is Arvad reallly good or evil?
    edited September 2014
    You should use whatever games rules you enjoy. :smile:

Dr. Yin Wu and Hi Pan are most emphatically not the same person. Yin Wu is a thousand-year-old Taoist sorcerer, one of the most potent spell-casters in the world, with an army of supernatural Chinese monsters in his service. He's also a fervent enemy of the Cult of the Red Banner, the group Hi Pan serves.

The Champions tabletop RPG existed long before Cryptic Studios purchased the IP. Cryptic did change a few details from what was printed in the earlier books, most of which were incorporated into Hero Games publications after the purchase as subjects warranted. However, a very few major additions Cryptic made to the setting and timeline, such as the Lemurian civil war, post-date the in-depth treatment of their subjects in books dedicated to them. In other cases, such as Monster Island, Cryptic hadn't fully settled on how they wanted to proceed when the books were written, so the books don't precisely match what finally appeared in CO. Then there are the differences based on what works in a tabletop game not always working in an MMO, and vice versa, like Menton's appearance. In a few such cases Hero Games asked Cryptic to exempt them from matching the MMO.

In all cases, what Hero Games published post-IP sale was approved by Cryptic beforehand. I would say that today the two versions of Champions match up about 90%. For the back-history of the setting pre-2002 (the date of Shadow Destroyer's first appearance on Champions Earth, which was originally the true Dr. Destroyer's return in the tabletop), the two histories are very nearly identical.

As for Arvad really being good or evil, that's a question a lot of people in the setting ask, including Arvad's brother Hazor, king of the Empyreans. As presented in the book Hidden Lands, Arvad was as evil as they come, and had been for a long time. The background to the Lemurian civil war asserts that Arvad's rule of Lemuria has changed him, that he actually came to care for them as his people. But is that real, or just an act to get help? If Arvad gains the upper hand in the war, would he return to his old ways? Your guess is as good as mind, but obviously not as good as the CO devs'. :wink:
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This was a great reread.

Kudos on an excellent primer that gives just enough info to really get into the setting and make characters that fit it well, without just giving away all the really juicy awesome stuff in the Hero Games books that RPG players [especially GMs] would need.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You have no idea how much I appreciate having access to this. It gives me a great start in finding out more about the specifics and histories of what is going on in Champions. This will certainly help me find out which books to seek out first.
  • mirrormirortashamirrormirortasha Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the info bulg. I have been more or less taking the lore from the MMO. It is a pity that a lot of the websites like the Wikia can be a bit sloppy wit the info and sometimes I have to replay the game to get stuff straight. What would be the best books to get for mostly MMO lore info. I currently own Champions Universe 5th edition.
    edited September 2014
    Well, Champions Universe Sixth Edition incorporates in-setting events since 2002 when Fifth Edition was published, as well as a number of the changes and additions Cryptic Studios made to the setting after purchasing the IP. However, a great deal of what it covers was reprinted from the 5E version. The 6E version is the best overall reference for both the MMO and PnP CU, but I'm not sure you would consider it worth buying due to the redundancies.

Even though it was written nearly a decade ago, The Mystic World is mostly relevant to the current setting, and by far the best source for info about CU occult cosmology, major players, and ground rules for that major subset of the setting. Champions Beyond does much the same thing for the space/cosmic side of the universe, is more contemporary, and also provides in-depth info about a number of alien races who are appearing in CO now: the Gadroon, Qularr, Malvans, and Elder Worm.

Beyond those books the info becomes more specific, and/or deals with things which either haven't yet been introduced into CO, or have to some extent been superseded by events in the MMO. What you would find useful would probably depend on what you're interested in.