test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's Improve: Highguard

dontaskdontask Posts: 95 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Builds and Roles
Hey Builders! So I've been tweaking around with this character for a while. He's one of my first characters but I've never gotten him past level 30. So I decided a retcon was in order. This is the build I'm looking to replace his current with when I get him to 40. He's still got 3hrs left on the Double XP bonus so I'm hoping thats sooner rather than later.

Now on to the concept:
Highguard is your typical super-brick. I want him to be a up close and personal fighter but still devastating at range. I just discovered both Force Bolts and FC have emanation points on your head. Optic Blasts anyone? I couldn't say no. So in the end- I want this guy to be a good FC spammer, but still tough and capable at melee range.

In my head he's a little bit Icon and a little bit Cyclops- at least power wise. Standard brick but instead of making him all hands I want his optic blasts to be the key component.

I know force and melee go hand in hand- but I've yet to find a suitable build that gives me that uber-powerful feeling I'm looking for. So I just said forget it- I'll grind him as is to 40, then retcon him into a more suitable build. Hopefully you guys can help. Also- NOTHING is sacred in this build except for being primarily melee + Force Cascade.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Devastator
Level 6: Covert Ops Training
Level 9: Physical Conditioning
Level 12: Healthy Mind
Level 15: Negotiator
Level 18: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Relentless

Powers:
Level 1: Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)
Level 1: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 6: Unleashed Rage
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Mighty Leap
Level 14: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
Level 17: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
Level 20: Uppercut (Rank 2, Head Trauma)
Level 23: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 29: Resurgence
Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 38: Aggressor

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Mach Speed (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Strength: Swole (2/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Initiative (1/2)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by dontask on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    FC spammer? .. well if ur going for that then ya dun really need any other major attack, really, esp not any melee attacks. I assume ya mean that Force does not work well w/ melee, cause it generally doesn't w/ all the KBs :x

Because of the knocks, Force's utility or CC powers are best mixed w/ melee, from my experience.

So, imo you may have to make FC a condition-based thing, cause if ur spamming it.. well what else are ya doing? And if ur charging it, then ur knocking things far out of melee range.

How about.. FC tap-spam for AoE (though that'll be tough to afford), Might-based melee for single-target? May want to have a Quarry_AoPM + MSA + Int build then, maybe some extra Rec/End gearing cause FC is really costly. Could also add LnL and/or an energy-form AO (like un-ranked Ascension) to help lessen the energy burden every so often.

Another option, from left-field: make a Might-Force combo blaster. Beatdown or DC for the combo, Force for the blast, maybe force detonation or geyser for the cd, and perhaps still have FC for AoE or if an energy form/AO is up? More info on that sort build can be found here.

Also, if ya using Demolish w/ crushing dmg primarily, then ya prob want Below the Belt over R3.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Your build is pretty close to Kenpo's Sho Nuff build. Might be worth a look because I know his has been optimized to work extremely well.

http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/490
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was toying with the Combo Blaster build as well. I figured start with EXACTLY what I want and see if its possible, then see what I can do with the limitations given. Though that Combo Blaster looks like a BLAST to play so I may end up doing that. It really gives off that 90s XMen animated series feel I loved growing up.

You bring up the same point that I found along the way- but I was hoping there was some clever way around it. FC is just plain costly.

So I guess your point is proven tenfold. I'll never use melee attacks up close so really optimizing my FC blasts and keeping my defense up is the goal.

So still skipping the Combo Blaster for now (if I change my mind we'll stay relevant and move over to that thread ;)

Now I'm suddenly sitting on all these extra power slots changing my focus as we have- should I fill them up with clickies to fuel MSA?

So here's the updated build so far.

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 6: Unleashed Rage
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Inexorable Tides
    Level 14: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
    Level 17: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 20: Sonic Device
    Level 23: Ascension
    Level 26: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 35: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 38: Aggressor

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Vindicator: Initiative (1/2)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Again, I'm not saying that ya can't mix FC w/ Might at all- just that the basic problem of FC knocks taking stuff out of melee range could become an issue if ya wanted to mix them in a certain way.

I would try to go for my first suggestion, just cause it allows ya to use more Might moves and FC, whereas I only suggested my combo blaster if ya wanted a completely diff take on the playstyle (and that may not be up ur alley for this concept, and that's perfectly fine).

So I'll try to tweak ur build a bit to make it a mix of Might for ST, and FC spam for AoE (w/ some options to use FC even outside of that scenario) - to me, that sounds like a good way to go about it.

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 6: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Mighty Leap
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Enrage
    Level 20: Force Geyser (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Demolish (Rank 2, Below the Belt)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

I'd advise gearing for a bit of End/Rec on the side to help w/ energy (one of my Gigabolt-heavy toons gets good results w/ only one high-ranked End mod slotted, and those are also usually quite cheap to buy). Else, LnL (when its avail) AoPM and MSA w/ good Int and Str (for Enrage) will def help you afford not only FC use in AoE, but also Haymaker use vs. bosses or knock immune targets (can use Force Geyser for knock-able targets ya wanna build up knock resistance and just tap Haymaker to avoid the KB until immunity, and also to proc MSA at range). Demolish's debuff can help all ur crushing dmg, as well as any crushing/physical for ur group.

Ya can prob even opt to use charged FC in a boss's face as long as either ERefraction procs or ya have LnL running and decent energy from MSA+Enrage (may not be more efficient than Haymaker, but if its fun and ya have the energy, then hey do it). One of my Force dps toons isn't made to spam FC, but can get some charges of it out w/ things like a temp EF or LnL up; even if it can't 'spam' FC, it can still use it a good deal, and that was w/ a Quarry/MSA/Int build w/ a bit of End/Rec. Ur situation I think would be pretty similar here w/ AoPM instead.

Only main issue is having to drop a defense passive for AoPM. Up to you how cozy ya are w/ not being as tanky, but there's plenty ways to help make up for that (AoPM in Hybrid role will give ya high health and pretty strong bonus healing, besides; and ya still got the Juggernaut + TBD/AS loop for very high defense from gearing alone).

(edit: also updated the build a lil to remove the AM adv and one point in 1 of the TPs to get UR to R3. Ofc, ya can change that back if ya want.. just figured its nice to have UR maxed)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I killed off my double XP buff last night. Got to level 36. So I'm close to being able to test this bad boy out. I like the mix you have of melee and FC. Just adding Haymaker for ST makes all the difference. I LOVE it.

@solardynamo- I've seen Sho 'Nuff 's build before and I like it. But tbh I assumed it wasn't updated recently since he's been off the CO grid for a while. I'll check it out as well. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dontask2 wrote: »
    @solardynamo- I've seen Sho 'Nuff 's build before and I like it. But tbh I assumed it wasn't updated recently since he's been off the CO grid for a while. I'll check it out as well. Thanks for the tip!

Cool.

I think I see him around now and then and many of his builds work extremely well. I find most interesting how he sets up talents in many builds.

His logic is counter to what I used in many cases and yet I find what he's done to be superior. He doesn't always do the "complimentary three" as in pick talents that go with the super stats. Also many of the powers synergize very well. Sometimes I'll swap one or two out...for theme or whatever.

Overall though...he provides a very solid foundation/framework especially on Sho Nuff who was his main I believe. I don't want to speculate, but what's posted will still benefit you because of HOURS of testing and respects.
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • Options
    thewinxfairythewinxfairy Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think that just looking at dates of when a build was posted doesn't constitute them as invalid. The only way I think posted builds will get outdated is if powers change (like when dodge nerf hit live, etc). I still use a lot of L1ghtStar's (@Man.of.Light) builds for ideas, which I think a lot of them pretty good.

Just giving my 2 cents... =D